Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Community Meeting Center For Non Governmental & Non Political Forum Topics > General Chats and Discussions
Reload this Page >

Are many older men grouchy because they are married to the same hag and can't escape?

Are many older men grouchy because they are married to the same hag and can't escape?

Old 07-12-06, 06:08 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

I think mny own dad falls into this category.

My mom and dad have been married well over 50 years now. But it hasn't been nor is it always clear sailing. He was caught by my mom having this little fling with some other woman a few years ago.

Whenever I get on the subject of younger women and about living with someone near them, he is the first one (think of kettles calling pots black) to go into some tirade of what others might think.

I think he is jealous of the fact that my chances are greater than him of reeling in some prize catch, and it eats at him. I don't think his hormones have dried up yet.

I see many older men who plain look very unhappy, and I have figured that they are bummed out maybe almost to the suicidal point that they know they aren't going to be taking home with them any Playboy bunnies anytime soon.

Then again, I am guessing on this and it could be the fact that the old cogger has goiter or something, instead.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-06, 06:48 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Personally I think a lot of it has to do with as you age you just aren't able to do all the things you used to and at times it can be frustrating.

Supposedly with age comes wisdom and you change a lot of your priorities. When I was young I thought having a good looking woman was paramount - no matter the cost. I've since learned [and wish I learned earlier] that it isn't worth the price.
Beauty is great but there has to be more - lots more.

I have 2 sons in their 20's and I hope and pray they don't make the same mistakes I have. Not much would make me prouder than to see them have a better life than mine.

Old 07-13-06, 06:36 AM
When I was young I tried to jump anything that would stand still long enough.
I must have gotten it out of my system because I've been married to the same "hag" for 38 years. She was a "hottie" when I married her and nothing's changed. I look forward to another 38 years.
I guess the trick is finding the right "hag".

Old 07-13-06, 07:18 AM
I'm surprised women haven't viewed/responded to this thread in droves.

My neighbor down the street is about to celebrate their 65th anniversary in August. They are two peas in the pod.

But, I've seen situations like the one you are describing and they are together in difficult ways.

I've already set the guideline that companionship is all I offer. The piece of paper and all the legal mumbo jumbo is not what I am about.

If I met the right one......but how does anyone know? What looks and feels good initially isn't the same years down the road.

People change......and the # of years doesn't always dictate happiness.

Besides, do you get a cookie when you reach a certain amount of years?

mmm

cookie

Old 07-13-06, 09:01 AM
Hmmmmm....I think both men and women (if true) should've thought this through before saying "I do". I think that's one of my problems since I haven't said it yet.

Old 07-13-06, 09:22 AM
I like to say that I've been happily married for 20 years...........but I've been married for 28. Its a joke but probably true for most marriages.

I don't know if I qualify as a grouchy old man but I'm out-of-sorts when I'm having a dispute with "the wife" and even then I wouldn't describe her as a hag. I'm sure it goes both ways.

Old 07-13-06, 09:38 AM
Group Moderator
Some people are grumpy to begin with and just get to the point where they quit trying to hide it.

Old 07-13-06, 02:19 PM
I am in the "majority" generation. In the 60 year old range. In the years before me, people had a different idea or ideals about what was right and wrong. Divorce was wrong. Didn't matter what your married life was like. You STAYED married. I always loved the statement "I stay married for the kids". HEY, the kids are suffering because you are staying together. My explanation of why there are so many divorces is that there was no honesty when the couple was dating. Thens theres what happened physically after the marriage. How many of us are still the same weight as when we wed? If one of the couple feel that the other went to pot, they think it's okay to roam. Sure is, as soon as the divorce is final.
Just personal opinion.

Old 07-13-06, 02:27 PM
Group Moderator
Majakdragon gave me another idea in his post - people are hesitant to accept new ideas, so changes in societal thought are usually brought about because the number of people who support a given idea is based in who's alive - older people with older ideas die and the younger ones with their ideas become the most populous group. If you're in that older group whose ideals are being dismissed, I could see getting a little grumpy.

Old 07-13-06, 03:21 PM
This post brings back all those silly questions I heard when I was in my 20's.
Why buy the cow when the milks free? Who wants spoiled milk? These days the word "spoiled" can be terminal.
You don't buy shoes without trying them on. Who wants USED shoes?
The basic ideas of LOVE have changed. Love is not....2 in bed making 3. Love isn't one-sided. It takes 2 to be in love...anything else is just wishful thinking.

As a sidenote, please apply these questions to your Daughter and see if your reasoning is still the same as her boyfriends.

Last edited by majakdragon; 07-13-06 at 04:22 PM.
Old 07-13-06, 03:59 PM
Originally Posted by majakdragon
Actually...I buy clothes w/out trying them on most times and I even visit the thrift store and buy used clothes and used shoes. Not b/c I don't have the money but it's just kinda fun and you sure can't find those odd and different things in reg. stores so it's kinda cool.

...anything else is wishful thinking
I think of it as ...anything else is "hoping". But, that's just me

Old 07-13-06, 07:13 PM
Group Moderator
My wife and I were married a few years before having children, because that's how she and I think it's supposed to be. I know a woman who teaches junior high and was asked by her students whether she had children. Her reply was "No, I'm not even married." There reply was "What's marriage have to do with it?" When the old dogs like my wife and I die, I think you're going to see marriage become uncommon.

Old 07-13-06, 11:59 PM
tae
older men are grouchy cause life sucks more with age. The body and mind aren't what they used to be. Always worring about meds, or breaking a hip, or the fact you can't handle yourself in a manly manner. just an opinion.

Old 07-14-06, 10:25 AM
DaVeBoy: are you calling your own mother a hag????

this sure is an ugly thread...

Old 07-14-06, 11:16 AM
older men are grouchy cause life sucks more with age. The body and mind aren't what they used to be. Always worring about meds, or breaking a hip,
Not to mention a prostate the size of a cantalope, 20 yards shorter off the tee and being called "sir" by 40 year olds.

Old 07-14-06, 11:16 AM

I think we need annette's opinion on this one

Old 07-14-06, 11:26 AM
Originally Posted by Rapture
I think we need annette's opinion on this one
already gave it.......in the Bowling thread!