Nutty Americans ~ Give Christmas gifts that go unused

Old 07-12-06, 06:28 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

Every year I buy my parents something out there that is revolutionary that costs up to $50 or so, about. One year it is the Scunzi steamer. The next it is that machine that takes the air out of food before you store it in the fridge or freezer.

And every year my parents think these things are the neatest thing since sliced bread...only to store them away and never use them again.

Another gadget that comes to my mind is the Presto Fry Baby (I THINK it was their product and the name). Ever see these out on peoples countertops? I know..the Lean Mean Grilling Machine took it's place. Or how about those Salad Shooters? How about those grinders that show how you can make an entire meal by grinding this or that? How about that new ad on tv now for buying these tools that enable you to carve fruit and make a fruit bouquette out of it, and then you can sit and eat it?

So what have YOU given others for Christmas or wedding gifts or birthdays, etc., that you have a feeling were used once, or maybe nonce, by the recipient? And do YOU have stuff now that is in your basement or garage that you never really used...and simply do things the old way the way you always have before that fange-dangled gadget hit the market?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-06, 10:39 PM
Group Moderator
My family made what I think was an extremely wise decision several years ago to no longer exchange presents. The holidays are actually fun again.

Old 07-13-06, 05:51 AM

I went out and bought my own George Foreman grilling machine. It is almost worn out, so I made some hints and am waiting for Christmas.

If you don't leave a few hints, you may get something you don't need.

Dick

Old 07-13-06, 06:42 AM
If your parents don't use the "stuff" you buy them, why not try something different. Give them a gift certificate for dinner at their favorite restaurant, or a good bottle of wine, tickets to a concert or a sporting event. Lots of great things out there if you think outside the box and get them something you know they will enjoy.

Old 07-13-06, 02:50 PM
Years ago my family decided not to exchange gifts. There's 6 of us so we draw names so at least one of us gets 1 gift.

I got these photo glass coasters-I still use them and love them. I got my bro (who's almost 30) transformers b/c he never got any as a kid. He loved that. I don't think her really "plays" with it but it's a good keeper and I think he displays them. We limit the amount to $20-$30 or so. They're usually pretty thoughtful gifts.

With the rest of the money we were going to spend on each other, we just gather it all together and give it to someone in need. It's amazing b/c we always find someone that really could use the money.

Old 07-13-06, 03:29 PM
My wife had to have the ice tea maker and the hot tea maker. Those were really a waste of money.

Old 07-13-06, 04:00 PM
Ebay it. Sad to say or do but that's what I do.

Old 07-13-06, 07:10 PM
Group Moderator
Originally Posted by DIYaddict
Ebay it. Sad to say or do but that's what I do.

I think sad is having something that never gets used. Selling it to someone else who wants it seems like a win-win situation to me.

Old 07-13-06, 11:57 PM
tae
we always had a list of things we wanted,but just couldn't justify. Nothing expensive, something like kitchen shears for the cook. they knew they wouldn't use them much, so never bought them. Of course, we would buy really nice shears.
I got a tape measure one time, nice walnut case with gold trim.very expensive, but I just can't bring myself to use it and tear it up. I'd of rather had a regular commercial grade tape that i could use!

Old 07-14-06, 01:03 AM
Originally Posted by mitch17
I think sad is having something that never gets used. Selling it to someone else who wants it seems like a win-win situation to me.

I'm willing to bet those ebay buys sit around too

Old 07-14-06, 05:17 AM
Group Moderator
Originally Posted by Rapture
I'm willing to bet those ebay buys sit around too
Maybe, but at least the person who has them sitting around probably is the one that bought them - I feel better about things I bought myself that are not used than things bought for me that are the same.