Things learned...the hard way or any way

Old 07-19-06, 02:39 PM
that $100 bill is MINE, by the way.....

Sponsored Links
Old 07-19-06, 05:40 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by Wayne Mitchell
Daveboy - I gotta' ask. No offense intended, but is any of this stream of semiconciousness chemically induced or does your head just normally work this way.
It runs in my mothers side of the family. Uncle is an artist/inventor. He and I think of the same stuff and we are always thinking. Get us together out on the golf course and you should hear us theorize shots and about club design. Do you know that the angular momentum induced by the tagentorial diffusion of the weight split differential can equal the sum of...a shank?

Old 07-19-06, 05:45 PM
Gotta agree with Wayne Mitchell when was the last time you had a cat scan[/QUOTE]

I'd be too afraid to. That is how I am regarding doctors. You go in for one thing...like the flu, and the next thing they tell you is that you have leukemia. Then you faint dead away on the floor, from the news. And while you are in there they will lecture you that you really need a prostate exam and colorectal exam, while they tell you you won't feel a thing. And then they will run heart checks on you to determine if those bad teeth you have have induced that dreaded cardio myopathy where you need a heart transplant. Etc.

Old 07-19-06, 05:50 PM
Originally Posted by Wayne Mitchell
I don't think I could live where the roaches study at the dinner table

Mosquitoes are smart insects too!

Probably more information than any of us needed.

Mosquitoes aren't smart enough to tell their friends that they are being killed by the dozens.

The poopy thing is quite true, you know. Especially if you had prune juice and sauer kraut for supper.

Old 07-19-06, 05:55 PM
Originally Posted by mattison
I did this when I 1st got started in hvac. Got called to an account for a water heater problem and found the element burnt out. Easy job right?

Never ever remove the heating element to an electric water heater that's in the ceiling of a antiques store without 1st draining it.
Ha.

And I was working in the basement preparing to lay new linoleum in the bathrom and this very good master plumber that I knew removed a valve without shutting the water off first and he and I are scrambling to find the water meter/shut-off valve when 25 gpm's is coming out the open pipe, flooding the basement, and the entire perimeter of the finished off basement room had cabinets, and the meter was in one of the cabinets. He did it; but guess who cleaned up the water mess?

Old 07-19-06, 06:17 PM
The poopy thing is quite true, you know. Especially if you had prune juice and sauer kraut for supper.
Thats a little to much infomation dave.

Old 07-19-06, 06:32 PM
That you can make those fine black cut marks in formica countertops and vinyl flooring virtually disappear. (Bleach it and let it set for maybe 15 minutes, then scub the cuts with a stiff bristle brush.)

That I wil never be able to figure out girls.

How a seat belt can allow you free travel until you either hit a really big bump, or come to a real quick stop. (There is a pin that slides in the mechanism that causes this lock-up.)

That trees do not JUST provide shade for us. It goes beyond this. That trees actually put out a/c, through the moisture evaporation process.

That the snap sound from the whip is caused by breaking the sound barrier. (So I have heard.)

Can't figure out how trees often grow to the height they do, in my neck of the woods, anyway...because we have lots of thunderstorms with lots of lightening. However a stately tree...the tallest pine in this nearby town... had to be cut down because it got hit bad by lightening a couple years ago, and was just hanging on for the last couple years. Another tree in this small town where I golf got hit by lightening and it blew up and fragments flew everywhere.

Being a firm believer in Murphy's Law...I can't quite see how Murphy isn't derailing more freight trains. I can't figure out how railroad tracks stand up to the abuse....frankly. Ever watch the railroad ties deflect down when the freight train's wheels roll over and then spring back up when the wheels have passed by, and then go down for the next wheels, and back up again, etc.?

That we are the land of the free?..with 10 million rules and regulations?

Can you think of two very good reasons for owning a screw driver like I have, that has a real long shaft?

That if you haven't negotiated a curve quite properly with your steering wheel, you can compensate for your error simply by accelerating or decelerating while in the curve, to make your car track around the curve perfectly?

That we can send a man to the moon, but that can't come up with (say hologram) reflectors that glow off headlights, to show where the lanes are marked on foggy or rainy roads.

That when you make frozen waffles in your toaster, you get a hint when they are ready to pop up by waving your hand about 1 inch above the toaster slots to feel how much heat is coming out. At first, you can leave your hand over the toaster many seconds. (Now take yor hand away to cool your hand back down) But when it gets down to about only 1 second that you can hold yor hand over it, the waffle is probably ready for you to spring it up.

Old 07-20-06, 04:36 AM
Group Moderator
Originally Posted by Annette
kinda makes me The_Toe_Girl, doesn't it?!?!
Hey, I like that.

Old 07-21-06, 04:28 PM
Doesn't anybody else here have things to say that you have learned in life. The intent of this thread was not that I would own the thread. Surely more can contribute.

Why simply wipe boogers under a desk or whatever when you can launch them off the end of your finger with a swift flick from the other hands finger... and then play seek and find later to see where it went. LOL

That I don't like Berber carpet anymore. It was novel when it first came out. But after I found out that one snag of a loop could lead to an entire 'run', like nylon stockings...forGET it! Now I like that grayish-tanish/mixed colors short shag. To me that stuff looks rich. And feels better on the feet, too.

That the key to living a long life is to make it so the days you do live SEEM longer. If you are a real hard worker and there is not enough hours in the day...chances are your life is flying by. So...the answrer is to just sit there and stare at a clock every second and you will seem like you lived an eternity.

To put a shallow dish of water in your microwave, when re-heating pizza for the 3rd time. If you don't, the pizza will come out petrified.

What a knuckleball and screwball does, when pitched in baseball.

That soccer fanatics must be stupid. Hockey fans also. Long played. Low scoring games where the opponents keep going back and forth the full length of the playing surface, repeatedly having the object ball or puck be stolen. And the score when all is said and done may be 1 - 0...or worse yet...0 - 0, and must be settled by some penalty kick or something, or extra time period. I have come to the conclusion that such fans have to have low I.Q.'s. Ther reason I single out the fan and not the player is that all games are fun to play, and the player has an ego and always thinks they are going to get the better of the opponent..

Old 07-21-06, 05:06 PM
I don't know dave its hard to compete with the way your mind works.

Old 07-21-06, 05:56 PM
This isn't meant to be a competition. But...even if it took some of you a week to think of a few things, it still be nice to see what some of you had to say. Look at all the stuff you are coming up for Pet Peeves.

Old 07-21-06, 06:01 PM
Why waste chewing gum when you can stick it on your bed post overnight or when your mom says don't chew it do you swallow it in spite (Just had to do it)

Old 07-21-06, 06:31 PM
Originally Posted by DaVeBoy
Doesn't anybody else here have things to say that you have learned in life. The intent of this thread was not that I would own the thread. Surely more can contribute.

I'm still learning!

That at work, no matter how hard I try to "teach" someone how to do something...they never learn how to! I've realized I'm working too hard and people work the way they work b/c that's who they are and usually don't change.

That being love is great but once you're over that it can get tough.

That you should always read, read and read before jumping into things.

Never do DIY things in a hurrry b/c you'll end up doing it again or doing it wrong and not wanting to fix it.

To always watch what you say before you say it b/c you can hurt someone in the long run and they may never forgive you.

BTW: I think Pet peeves are so much easier to come up with b/c these are the things we just can't stand and things learned well....sometime people don't really "learn".

Old 07-21-06, 06:41 PM
When I worked heavy construction and found out you could use one of those pistols that has a gun powder charge, like a gun, and shoot a steel nail into a very heavy guage steel form. No ricochet! That was impressive, to me.

Also, finding out that you can cut through any thick steel with the combination of two gasses; oxygen and acetylene..as long as the flame was brought to the right pointy and properly colored tip... you cut literally cut through thick plate steel...we were cutting 1/2 inch or 3/4 thick steel,..and it was cutting it like a laser!

And how concrete is like some miracle product that only uses earhy materials. Nothign space-age. And the way it literally gives off heat in the curing stage and turns to stone, and can even set up under water.

And I learned of the lateral force when trying to contain concrete when forming it up vertically for pours. When a wall gives way under the lateral force, that is known as a "blow out". Fixing one of these in progress, perfectly, is very difficult.

Old 07-21-06, 06:45 PM
DaVeBoy, is all this stuff in your head b/c it's great! So much info...

or, do you have it written down everytime something comes up? Just wondering...

Old 07-21-06, 06:46 PM
That if you keep stealing the KETCHUP packets from the fast food places you can squirt them into the bottle and not have to buy a new bottle.

That if you buy 2 ply TP that you can seperate it and have twice as many rolls of TP then what you started with.

Old 07-21-06, 06:47 PM
DIYaddict,

Did you mean in your post above to say "Being in love"? If so..I know what you mean. And to me, that would have to be the most unfortunate of unfortunates... to loose that once euphoric feelign you felt for someone. I think that is why partners run off and have an affair to bring back some of that excitement. This perhaps is one of the reasons i have never been married. it is the fear that the lovey-dovey aspect will fade and yo wil be 'stuck' with someone. That scares the bejesus out of me. I wish they would invent something that would take yor memory away so that the 10,000th night seemed like the very first night.

Old 07-21-06, 06:48 PM
Originally Posted by lexmarks567
That if you keep stealing the KETCHUP packets from the fast food places you can squirt them into the bottle and not have to buy a new bottle.

That if you buy 2 ply TP that you can seperate it and have twice as many rolls of TP then what you started with.
Ha. Sounds like my kleptomaniac deceased great auntie Flo.

Old 07-21-06, 06:50 PM

Oh man...that's hilarious. Post a pic of your ketchup bottle!

And let me see your toilet paper.

Old 07-21-06, 06:51 PM
DIYaddict,

Did you mean in your post above to say "Being in love"? If so..I know what you mean. And to me, that would have to be the most unfortunate of unfortunates... to loose that once euphoric feelign you felt for someone. I think that is why partners run off and have an affair to bring back some of that excitement. This perhaps is one of the reasons i have never been married. it is the fear that the lovey-dovey aspect will fade and yo wil be 'stuck' with someone. That scares the bejesus out of me. I wish they would invent something that would take yor memory away so that the 10,000th night seemed like the very first night.
YUP! Boo hoo...oh well. I think that's why some of us were meant to stay single. Sometimes, it just takes time to realize it.

Old 07-21-06, 06:52 PM
Originally Posted by DIYaddict
DaVeBoy, is all this stuff in your head b/c it's great! So much info...

or, do you have it written down everytime something comes up? Just wondering...
Both. Some is thought up driving on way to and from home(about 20 miles one-way), and some at home in the am or pm, and some right while I sit here posting. I have a full rich life in regards to experiences, different jobs, many people met indifferent states I have lived.

Old 07-21-06, 06:53 PM
YUP! Boo hoo...oh well. I think that's why some of us were meant to stay single. Sometimes, it just takes time to realize it.
You single, if you don't mind me asking?

Old 07-21-06, 06:53 PM
Oh man...that's hilarious. Post a pic of your ketchup bottle!

And let me see your toilet paper.
You know some guy did that it was on a talent show.He also reused the paper towels.

Old 07-21-06, 06:58 PM
You single, if you don't mind me asking?
lol...I think I'm learning that I'm supposed to be and not accepting the fact.

Old 07-21-06, 06:59 PM
Did you know that corn has male and female together in some sack on the stalk, and that it takes hot weather and that it pollinates itself? I guess that is the case. I was driving to EC today and noticed that every stalk had a tassle and I asked my friend to look up on the internet how the stalks are pollinated, and he said by bees. And I said 'do you mean to tell me that a bee hits every stalk and never misses pollinating a one?' And then he looked it up and said it is something to the effect of what I posted. I wil try to look into this some more...or get him to do it.

Old 07-21-06, 07:00 PM
You know some guy did that it was on a talent show.He also reused the paper towels.
That's talent???? No...that's gross. So...Lex...is that where you're learning this stuff huh? Don't worry about about gaining "talent" Lex...go buy some ketchup and toilet paper.

Old 07-21-06, 08:19 PM
That a ceailng fan motor is not strong enough to swing a 5 year old in a superman custom around the room but is strong enough to fling paint from a 1 gallon can on every wall in the kiction.

That a baseball hit by the blades of a ceiling fan does will travel veryfar and into the house behind you.

That bleach and brake cleaner make smoke and lots of it.

That you can get 8 boxes of rasiens into the cassette player of a jeep.

that if you hook up jumper cables to a air bag with a 50 gallon oil drum on it it will go 15+feet in the air.

Old 07-22-06, 05:30 PM
That those teeny weeny (flat metal) tweezers that are included in those tiny jackknives are the very best tweezers for pulling out hairs and slivers that barely break the skin surface!

That every milado I have ever seen, boy or girl, is absolutely beautiful.

That you can REALLY sharpen an already sharp pencil by honing it on paper. Then, you can have fun with the ultrasharp tip by trying to write something absolutely super tiny. I impress the next door neighbors with my micro writing. I prove to them I actually made all letters legible by letting them look at it under a magnifying glass.

That the good ol' days were not that good in some ways, and good in others. They were good in respect to us not having as many laws because there were less people. You could bury garbage on your land. Or go to the town landfill. Or burn leaves. Or make a septic system without all the red tape, etc. But as far as technological advancements in gadgetry and medicine goes?: Well, if you weigh everything out...I seriously doubt too many people would want to go back to those good ol' days, eh?

A tremendous amount of skin lotion is left behind in those pump bottles. I heat it up and then unscrew the cap and shake it into the new pump-up bottle. Etc., etc. I mean...you can salveage LOTS out of the bottles, this way.

If you are bored and need to entertain yorself in your lonliness, I recommend you buy that hand-held cue-ball size round computer game called 20Q(uestions), by Radica: Those things are neat. I play with mine almost every night.

Old 07-22-06, 05:36 PM
That a ceailng fan motor is not strong enough to swing a 5 year old in a superman custom around the room but is strong enough to fling paint from a 1 gallon can on every wall in the kiction.

That a baseball hit by the blades of a ceiling fan does will travel veryfar and into the house behind you.

That bleach and brake cleaner make smoke and lots of it.

That you can get 8 boxes of rasiens into the cassette player of a jeep.

that if you hook up jumper cables to a air bag with a 50 gallon oil drum on it it will go 15+feet in the air.

Keep em coming, Lexy. Those are good.

The baseball one reminds me how I once calculated the speed of a lawnmower blade once. Then I could appreciate how it was that that pebble got slung like a bullet through the guy's car's side window when I mowed the grass bordering on the gravel next to his car.

And the bleach one? Me and some friends, when I was about 12, made a "bomb" containing Drano, I think, and when mixed and tossed, we burned a big spot out of the grouchy old man's yard.

Old 07-22-06, 06:02 PM
nap
Ok Dave. Here is your challenge for some of your free time:

]Tiny Writing Record Holder

In Delhi, India, a man broke his own world record for tiny writing - he squeezed 1,325 characters onto a single grain of rice.

When he finished, he went back to his old job of printing rental-car contracts.

Let's see how many rental car contracts you can write in a day. Just kidding of course, let's see you make it into the Guiness Book of W R with writing to beat this guy.

Old 07-22-06, 09:05 PM
Keep em coming, Lexy. Those are good
Sorry my mind is blank now

Old 07-22-06, 10:05 PM
That putting metal in a microwave will not cause it to go BOOM

That you can't blow up a carivan filled with gas fumes with 20 cell phones but can wearing wool pants in a plastic bucket and touching speaker wire.

That a umbrella won't save you if you fall of a bucket crane.

That you can't cook an egg with 100 cell phones.

That putting christmas lights in a microwave will make them light up

Old 07-23-06, 03:18 AM
To put a shallow dish of water in your microwave, when re-heating pizza for the 3rd time. If you don't, the pizza will come out petrified...
Re-heat your leftover pizza on the grill. It will be better than when you bought it fresh.

Old 07-23-06, 06:46 PM
That dropping a penny from a sky scraper will not harm the person it hits

that you CAN'T do a 360 on a swing set.

that dog urine and bleach and baking soda will not explode

That too many flee bombs set off at once will blow up a house (this has been proven on the news)

That you can't derail a train by putting a penny on the track

Last edited by lexmarks567; 07-23-06 at 11:51 PM.
Old 07-23-06, 06:50 PM
nap
[QUOTE=lexmarks567]that you can't cure poisen ivy with vodka

that you can cure foot odor with vodka

that you can get ciggeritte smoke smell out of cloths with vodka

that you can cure bad breath by mixing vodka and cinimen powder and letting it sit for 2 weeks than straining it through a coffee filter.
QUOTE]

Is this a problem we are seeing here Lex. You have vodka listed several tiems in the same post. Either you have a lot of potatoes laying around or you may be at the beginning of a big problem.

Old 07-23-06, 08:37 PM
Nah I just watch TO MUCH TV

Is this a problem we are seeing here Lex. You have vodka listed several tiems in the same post. Either you have a lot of potatoes laying around or you may be at the beginning of a big problem

Old 07-23-06, 11:47 PM
That putting a jaw breaker in a toster oven will cause the jaw breaker to explode (has happend a 5 year old girl was badly burned cause of this)

That pop (soda) will not work as a engine degreeser

That you can start a fire with ice (NO JOKE I"V SEEN IT HAPPEN)

That a real car will beat a toy car in a 200 foot drag race going down hill the real car just costing not under own power)

Old 07-24-06, 09:16 AM
that intelligent, handy people might not be really proficient at spelling, typing, and punctuation.

Old 07-24-06, 11:54 AM
That you can't save yourself by jumping up at the last minute in a elevator

That pop rocks and cola will not make your stumic explode

That you can't cool a 6 pack by burying it in the sand then setting the sand on fire (again saw it on tv)

Come on dave I need you to come up with more to get me going.

Old 07-24-06, 12:22 PM
That you can't cool a 6 pack by burying it in the sand then setting the sand on fire
SAND BURNS?????

some things i learned a long time ago (the hard way):

1. you can't wait to take Dramamine after you've boarded the airplane & expect it to do any good.
2. the one & only airsick bag located in the pouch in front of you is small.

Last edited by Annette; 07-25-06 at 01:20 PM.