Things learned...the hard way or any way

Old 07-16-06, 01:07 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Things learned...the hard way or any way

That "3 is a crowd" does not always apply. I know high school kids who have sweethearts who 'hang out' woith some other guy or gal. If that was me, I would be jealous. Have even seen boyfriend push 2nd girl in the chest area. If I was girlfriend, I'd say "Keep your cottin' pickin' hands off!!!!"

That if you are nearsighted and have one good eye and one bad eye, that your brain will combine the two.

That skidding over a (rattle) snake more ensures it's death rather than just driving over it.

That a refrigerator warms up the house.

That I easily choke on chocolates if the slurry of one goes down my wrong throat.

That bald is NOT beautiful, for some. I just saw this guy that looks like a real oddball...that is bald.

That you can actually syphon liquid out of a closed tank or container (with an opening), by BLOWING...not sucking!

That you can pull something by a rope, without actually tying a conventional knot in it, tight. In construction we used a half-hitch loop around 2 x 4's and stuff to raise them up to the top floor.

That you can pull a building backwards (useful when trying to dock it next to some other building) by driving your vehicle that is attached to the building, forward.

That 4-leaf clovers are out there...in MY yard, even. I found one.

That you can still burn AFTER you got your sunburn!

That a 3 year old might think they are smarter than you...when it comes to how to play some game. I know ALLLL about that. (being on the receiving end)

That you can actually forget about getting stitches, in some cases and just duct tape your self back together! Even operate on yourself! I saved myself $500-900 by doing this very thing 2 years ago.

Soften buns in microwave for 10 seconds to have nice soft fresh ones.

A cactus needs water.

To carry snacks, pop, a flashlight and even aspirin (in case of heart attack) with you, at all times.

That only 1/2 # of cashews contains 1350 calories. Wanna gain weight?

If you have a long way from the grocery store...cover your ref./frozen food items with blanket.

That Oxiclean (or equivelent) and "The One Sweep" broom, actually work as advertised!

That CFL light bulbs are the only way to go...if they fit your light fixture.

That I am not convinced that products that contain alcohol to get moisture out of the gas actually work, because if you dump alcohol in gas that has water, you wind up with 3 seperate bands: The water is still there at the bottom..then the alcohol...then the gas up top. Rather than the alcohol combining the 3 together.

In cluttered up apts., it is more practical to use a cannister vacuum to get everywhere as you go. Up on furniture, around objects, over doors, the stairs, etc.

That if you adjust your 4 wheels on your lawn mower so that the front wheels are high, and the back wheels are low...you will be able to cut your lawn to maximum low with the least forward rolling resistance!

Perhaps 70-80% of the time, troubles with refrigerators are easily fixed with no need for expensive Freon re-charge or new compressor. (So see what could be wrong by asking us here at DYI.! )

That it ceases to amaze me that more people do NOT dyi, when most things are so easy to analyze and fix. For example...I self taught myself on fixing high efficiency furnaces because it is simple to see what everything does (like flame sensor and roll out switch and pressure switch are self explanatory if you stare at where the wires and tubes go to), even if you never knew what they did, before analyzing. (But it helped to know how old conventional furnaces worked, first.) Many things are like this. Also...take dryers. Dryers are fairly simple. Basically a big box)

That milk can actually last 3-4 weeks in the fridge without spoiling if fridge is at 32.5-33 degrees. Mine lasted a full 4 weeks once with no funny odor!

(I have more on my list, but I am submitting these.)

Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-06, 01:25 PM
That many people fall into the Hallmark card trap of buying expensive cards that are no better than cheap ones because the recipient looks at the back to see name of card and price!

Insects are smart. So don't mindlessly kill them. Ever observe a Praying Mantis? Even cockroaches will carefully study you before trying to go after the food on your plate while you are at the table. I know!

That a blow torch helps wipe out a swarm of mosquitoes coming after you. I know all about this, also.

That a money back guarantee only guarantees that you will get your money back. It has nothing to do with ensuring the product works as advertised....the schmucks!

Do peopel running 1 -10 million dollar sweepstakes all think we fell off the turnip truck?

Cats can do dog tricks! I named my cat "Dawg", because he could.

You also can "Flip this trailer". Turned several thousand dollars on buying mobile homes cheap and turning around and selling them! Also, made out good on Sheriff's (tax lien) sales on the courthouse steps.

That near-sighted people can see 20/20 thru a magnifying glass...only upside down.

That a real nice red tomato may not taste like a ripe tomato.

We can send a man to the moon but not solve road glare (can't they polarize the windshield with the headlight glass to work like Polaroid sunglasses used to?) and especially multi-lane highway lane markings disappear in the rain with glare of tail lights. Can't somebody solve this? And while they are at it, invent a space-age pothole filler that don't go to pot 1 week after the pothole was filled?

Ultra-soft t.p. does not rid your butt of poopy very well. Kind of smears it around. I have experienced this first hand.

Can't radio station engineers keep the decible levels constant for when talk show phone-in guests respond? And can't they turn up the treble control and down with the bass when some male talker with a real low raspy voice mumbles in? !!!!!

Is it too hard to ask?...can't phone books simply have the d come after the c...etc.? The idiots make it so you can't find K-mart. Duh!!!!!!!!

(I have more)

Old 07-16-06, 01:45 PM
Anti-bacterial soap, that is so popular today, will only kill the bacteria when left on you for at least 30 seconds. Same goes for those aerosals that kill germs. Ever notice that they say "on hard surface"? Why?

Save on you electric bil and spare the world needless wasted energy, by turning off your stove or oven before the food is done cooking/baking...well, in advance. It will cook/bake long after you shut it off! Ovens, especially are so insulated that the heat is retained in them for hours!

Can't figure out why people like diamonds or Rolex watches. Diamonds are like clear glass. Agates and geodes to me are more interesting. And big fat calender/date Rolex watches look 60-70-ish in sytle. I'll take an expensive ultra-thin, unusual-faced watch anyday, over a Rolex.

Being forced to come in from the winter cold after throwing snowballs, to practice piano lessons is stupid. Your fingers can't move!... even after you hold them under hot water for 15 minutes. Couldn't my parents figure that out?

Shaving cream on the end of a broom (on the straw part) will imbed a bat into it. (yes...as in vampires.) Then you can easily shake out the stuck bat outside! I've done this, and passed this tip on to other maintenance people I know. If you are kind, you will then fill up a kettle of water and sling it onto the bat covered in shaving cream.

The key to hitting a golf ball 300 yards (I know)...driving a par-4 in one, is to generate max. clubhead speed by the time your swing reaches the bottom or just past the bottom. It does no good to hear that whoosh through the air from all the generated speed you continue to develpop once you pass bottom dead center. (It took me years to figure this out on my own. One day it dawned on me. I have never seen an article written on this. Most people swing hard and hear that whoosh and think the ball has to go far. Not necessarily.)

Shamoo and brush your teeth, back to back for maximum clean and squeekiness.

Use Dove (because of the moisturizing cream and you get less scum). Even for shaving (no shaving cream necessary). Only buy it to use for bats.)

That it's funny to hear some guy who fertilizes his yard, to complain that he has to mow his grass every 2 days.

Do tornados really know where trailer courts are?

That either the cd manufacturing companies or the cd player companies are stupid, as I have bought many cd's where the volume, when turned all the way up, is paltry. Maddening!

That you will KNOW when you have a kidney stone, even if you never had one before. Be LIEVE me.

That trying to drill out a hardened bolt with a hardened drill bit is just a fruitless stalemate.

Old 07-16-06, 02:04 PM
(DaVeBoy)

I self taught myself on fixing high efficiency furnaces because it is simple to see what everything does (like flame sensor and roll out switch and pressure switch are self explanatory if you stare at where the wires and tubes go to), even if you never knew what they did, before analyzing. (But it helped to know how old conventional furnaces worked, first.) Many things are like this. Also...take dryers. Dryers are fairly simple. Basically a big box)

Yesterday I opened up my neighbors washing machine to see what was wrong...why it wasn't agitating and discovered a drive/lock-up mechanism I have never seen before and was able to figure out that the parts were bad and figured out how to extract the parts... with no schooling in this. My point is many things are like this and all it takes is some basic analytical reasoning power and a desire to defeat whatever the problem is rather than it defeat you. And once you get a handle on how many things work, you will find out that there is a certain commonality to things that will cause you to look at certain things in the way that you do. I can't really explain that remark fully...but it just will happen, with experience. And you will be able to save you and your friends and neighbors perhaps hundreds of dollars over time.

Just like how I saved my same neighbors a furnace man service call when I found the teeny burn spot on some diode on their control module to their furnace 3? years ago, and bought the part at cost and did the changeout for free for them.

Or...how I saved my own self about $1500 when a furnace man told my dad that on one of our trailer rentals needed a new furnace because the gas valve melted and he said the exchanger was old. And when I got home from work, *I* tore into it and found the exchanger very heavy duty with no cracks or holes (jus had surface rust discoloration) and I was able to change out the gas valve for $25 (used)!..and it lasted.

Old 07-16-06, 02:40 PM
I can not beleve you have enough free time to sit in front of a computer and think all of that up.Well I got some questions for you.

1.If you take a compuss into outter space what direction will it point.

2.How young can you be and still die of old age.

3.If you take all the ships out of the ocean what level will the water be.

Old 07-16-06, 02:53 PM
nap
It would depend on what magnetic attraction is most affecting it. It could actually point to the north pole (of Earth) if this was the strongest attraction. Also realize that although our astronauts are in space, they are not beyind the reach of gravity and geo magnetic forces. They are not actually weightless where they are, they are merely falling fast enough and continously so it appears they are weightless. If they were to stop all motion relative to the earth, they would fall to the earth due to the gravitational attraction of the earth. So the answer is not what direction it would point but what would it point to. Even on the earth, it does not point in a particular direction, it points to magnetic north of the earth. Also realize that all direction is also relative to something else and it is a matter of perseption. When we speak of down south and up north, we consider north to be up but if the earth is "upside down" in relationship to some others point of view, we would be wrong in their eyes (if they actually have eyes that is)

This would be a matter of semantics and opinion. Since "old age" is a relative term, it would be neccessary to know what you are comparing the term "old age" to. Most people of many years past (early 1800's and earlier) would have considered 40 to be old, modern society sees this a middle aged at most.

3.If you take all the ships out of the ocean what level will the water be
That's an easy one. It would be "sea level"

Old 07-16-06, 03:05 PM
nap
and a few comments on daves comments:

That you can actually forget about getting stitches, in some cases and just duct tape your self back together! Even operate on yourself! I saved myself $500-900 by doing this very thing 2 years ago.
Do you realize that "super glue" was actually created to be a battlefield repair for injuries for the Vietnam conflict? Med pros still use a variant of it today in many, if not all, hospitals.

That a money back guarantee only guarantees that you will get your money back. It has nothing to do with ensuring the product works as advertised....the schmucks!
That this guarantee is often worthless. It does not gurantee anything actually, it is merely a promise that is often disregarded by the retailer once the initial transaction has taken place.

So do people. If you want to save energy with your A/C, you should not live in your house.

If you have a long way from the grocery store...cover your ref./frozen food items with blanket.
The old paper bags also are better for insulating purposes than the current trend of plastic bags. Newspaper also really does help keep you warm when you sleep on a park bench. It actually blocks air flow which would remove the heat from your skin allowing you toi warm a small envelope of air next to you. Similar in action to a divers wet suit. It purposfully allows water into the suit but restricts the movement of the water. Your body warms the water and it acts as an insulating layer protecting you from the colder water outside the suit.

Now this one I tend to disagree with though:

That I am not convinced that products that contain alcohol to get moisture out of the gas actually work, because if you dump alcohol in gas that has water, you wind up with 3 seperate bands: The water is still there at the bottom..then the alcohol...then the gas up top. Rather than the alcohol combining the 3 together.
Alcohol is hygroscopic and mixes with gas readily as well. If allowed to set, it may seperate but upon agitation, (such as driving) it will readily mix again.

Old 07-16-06, 03:09 PM
Originally Posted by lexmarks567
I can not beleve you have enough free time to sit in front of a computer and think all of that up.Well I got some questions for you.

Hmmmm.

1A. Perhaps at whatever is the most magnetic, if you are in a spaceship? But if you just let it float in space and observe it, then maybe it points towards...hmmmm...the sun maybe?

2A. Well, if you have that one disease where people look 90 when they are 5 years old......

3A. The water will be at a level less what the weight of the ships weigh, in water weight, and then the volume can be calculated. If a ship weighed 100 pounds, it will displace 100 pounds of water which can be converted to gallons which can be converted to acreage per inch.

Old 07-16-06, 03:14 PM
Quote: (from DaVeBoy)

(Nap)
So do people. If you want to save energy with your A/C, you should not live in your house.

(DaVeBoy)

I also like your answer regarding ships displacing sea water.

Old 07-16-06, 03:19 PM
(lexmarks)

(DaVeBoy)

I was at home and while my clothes were washing...I am not making this up...every last one of what I posted came to me one thing after the next, within a period of..ohhhh...about an hour... and I wrote them down in my notebook where I have pages dedicated to DYI, as possible thread starting ideas.

Remember, I live alone, quiet, no kids, no pets. And I have years of observations and experience in things.

Would you be interested in what I can say about the Bible? Not sure what DYI forum policy is on this/religion. Also, what I could say might not allow me to get out of purgatory someday.

Old 07-16-06, 03:24 PM
I was told by a city inspector that an approximate average per person on body heat is about 400 btus.

Old 07-16-06, 03:28 PM
Originally Posted by DaVeBoy

Really? I have yet to find one...but I probably wouldn't bother looking anymore

That you can actually forget about getting stitches, in some cases and just duct tape your self back together! Even operate on yourself
I'm glad you saved yourself some $$$ but I would NOT do this. I'm no doc but still. You operated on yourself???? What'd you do?

Originally Posted by DaVeBoY
A cactus needs water.
Yeah...I learned the hard way and killed my1st cactus thinking it did not need water. That was too funny after my mom told me I was supposed to still water it.

What's CFL?

(So see what could be wrong by asking us here at DYI.! )
DoYourselfIt?

Old 07-16-06, 03:35 PM
nap
What's CFL?
compact fluorescent light or lamp

Old 07-16-06, 04:23 PM
The reason people should clean carpets is just not to make it look pretty. Sand in the carpet can grind and break down the carpet fiber.

Wax on a surfboard can make it NOT slippery. Isn't that odd? I have experience surfing. I just had a hard time staying up on the board.

The term radiant heat is interesting to me. Radiant heat (as opposed to ambient) is supposed to transfer heat directly from a heat-light source to the object without necesarily warming up the air. In outerspace, the sun obviously transfers heat through radiation as there isn't even air to transfer the heat. That said...why do they call radiators..radiators? Radiators do not glow and the heat on the metal surface must be contacting the air by which it is carried through the house. Am I missing something here?

Don't golfers who can't hit a golf ball far get awfuly frustrated and think of themselves as little weinees? Who wants to golf having to use a driver and a 3-wood to reach some green, when you know someone else can make a mockery out of the hole, and you, by using a 9-iron for their second shot? Just because they are a coordinated galoot.

Is it macho to use a 16 pound bowling ball? If you were bowling with friends and you were all comparing each others ball, would you pick the right weight for your strength and use a 12 pounder?

Do you know that it is very popular for guys to sport goatees right now? *I* am sporting one myself. But did you know the likely reason why guys started wearing goatees rather than full he-manish beards, close-cropped like George Michael?... Because not all guys can grow a full beard like George Michael. The human male has like 550 whiskers per inch on the chin area and only about 350 on the cheek area. Men observe this when trying to grow a full beard and give up so they don't look like they have one of those old man...Yasser Arafat bum-looking beards where there is one whisker every quarter inch apart. So, men cleverly came up with the goatee.

If your oven temperature has lost it's accurate calibration, hang up the phone. Don't call the repairman just yet. Pull your temperature knob and see if your knob is adjustable.

I think one of the reasons the weather feels so stifling when it is hot is that not only is hot uncomfortable, but I'd imagine that the oxygen molecules are farther apart...so then you gasp for breath. Now, after hearing this, you will probably be paranoid and start gasping for breath. Here...let me help you MORE in this regard. I have heard that at the turn of the century (at about 1900)..that the oxygen in the atmosphere was about 50%. Now it is only 16%...and probably getting less.

Isn't it fortunate that you can dunk a paint brush into a gallon of paint and it will stick to the bruch?...yet not stick to the brush so well that it can't come off on what you are trying to apply it to? That thought came across my mind one day when I painted. I am always pondering if things are just lucky, or if God did it. Sort of like trying to figure out if it is lucky that there is flesh on fruit.

If you want to plunge a drain, which is your best method of freeing a clog once you have gotten out some of the hair or whatever that is below the strainer, is to plug the other basin as you plunge the other (for kitchen sinks and basement cement utility tubs), and to plug the overflow vent hole in a bathroom sink when you plunge, so that all your plunging efforts push AND pull on the clog as you plunge, rather than simply push the force of the water back up some other drain or vent/overflow hole.

Have you ever thought of taking the front or back off your dryer so you can vacuum the lint to perhaps save you from a dryer lint fire? I had one once, and recently had to replace 3 items on a rental one that has such a fire in a gas unit.

To be aware that when grocery shopping that bigger bulk items can sometimes cost you MORE?

Why do people wear watches? They always made me nervous as I never wanted to get one scratch on the glass. Also, if you look at the time, the day goes slower.

Do people feel important to be able to write a check? How else do you explain people need to write out a $3.57 cent check to McDonald's. Can't people carry some petty cash on them? Why burden yourselves with rectifying your checkbook? Why not let people slow you down in line who are business owners with business checkbooks who need checks records for bookkeeping/IRS records?...while you just pay for smaller things with cash?

Do you know that silicone caulk has a very good adhesion property to it if you want to say stick something to a ceiling, or whatever? It has better instant adhesion that say PL-200 or Liquid nails.

Some people seem to just live with weird water flow coming from a spout that has an aerator on it. I have asked tenants how long they have lived with some paltry or weird squirting water pattern, and some are clueless that the aerator at the end of the spout dictates this and you can remove them and clean out the sand, rust, or whatever.

Have you ever thought about that you can wash your clothes in the actual wash cycle for as many times as you want, without letting the machine drain out, by just stopping the machine at the end of the wash cycle and going around again with the dial and start over, with the same water that is in there, so you don't lose your soap? I do this all the time. I will let my clothes in the wash cycle for about 3 cycles where I first use Oxiclean and then detergent. It's fun to see just how black I can get the water.

Do you know that Bounce-like dryer sheets can leave a residue that can actually put a clogging film on the lint scren? I have had to wash out lint screens in a degreaser to get rid of this to get the machine back up to full op capabilities.

Often times my stick pens (when new) write too light or skip when I write, in certain notebooks, compared to the older used same type/brand stick pen? Frustrated, I start writing on a board to loosen up the ball and get the ink to flow better. Naturally, you will waste more ink and go thru pens faster. But who cares.

Do any of you have a well? If so, you might want to have a chemical analysis done, besides a bacterial test, to make sure you do not expose yourself to certain minerals, metals, and even arsenic in too high concentrations for years. Especially if you have kids.

If someone says to you that they have 20 years experience, it is possible that they could still be doing something wrong. They may have been doing it wrong for 20 years.

I am surprised that all doctors aren't in contact with websites to confirm a diagnosis based on symptoms. I no longer have the child-like faith in the medical profession I once had. Heard too many weird stories in my life. They had a show on tv recently where they could not diagnose something as rudimentary as salmanella poisoning!!, and the person almost died before they found out. Why didn't the MANY doctors trying to diagnose, go to some computer data bank and type in all the symptoms? Duh. I swear.

Old 07-16-06, 04:24 PM
tae
That I easily choke on chocolates if the slurry of one goes down my wrong throat.
You have a right throat? As in the left throat cant handle chocolate, or as in one of my other throats (how many?) cant handle chocolate?

Old 07-16-06, 04:45 PM
Quote:

(DYIaddict)
Really? I have yet to find one...but I probably wouldn't bother looking anymore

(DaVeBoy)

And because I did find one, I am no longer interested. Especially when I was told that people have found 5 and 6 leaf ones. I wonder if that is true?

Quote:
That you can actually forget about getting stitches, in some cases and just duct tape your self back together! Even operate on yourself

(DYIaddict)
I'm glad you saved yourself some $$$ but I would NOT do this. I'm no doc but still. You operated on yourself???? What'd you do?

(DaVeBoy)

I had a heavy storm window slide down it's track like a guillotine on my finger and partially severed my fingertip. I went pale at first when I felt my finger and was afraid to look as I thought it could be gone. But it was still attached. I held the finger in toweling till it stopped bleeding (it bled like a stuck pig) for long enough for me to wrap 2 bandaids around it in 2 different directions to get the end of the tip in alignment on the bone. Then, I went to chain pharmacy and bought all kinds of stuff and cleansed it daily and used anti-bacterial creme daily, and rebandaged daily as I have heard of hospital stories where they bandage you TOO good, and when the person comes back to get unwrapped, gangrene had set in and nobody knew it! Then, once healed, I had oozing cell growth coming out my severed in half fingernail and out of the tip of the finger under the nail. The guillotine force was so quick that it cut the nail so cleanly in half, that I never lost the nail!!! as you would in blunt force trauma. I then bought an Exacto knife kit and a creme that deadens the skin, and soaked the tip in alcohol and I carved that cell growth off and my finger healed perfectly. Another guy I know had almost the same type of injury and he went to the emergency room and the time all was said and done, his cost was over $950!

Quote:
A cactus needs water.

(DYIaddict)

Yeah...I learned the hard way and killed my1st cactus thinking it did not need water. That was too funny after my mom told me I was supposed to still water it.

Quote:

(DYIaddict)

What's CFL?

(DaVeBoy)

Compact Fluorescent Bulbs. They used to be big when they first came out onthe market and would not fit inside the glass of many light fixtures. Now they are squattier and most fit under the glass now. You can buy these at the big box stores.

Old 07-16-06, 04:52 PM
Originally Posted by tae
You have a right throat? As in the left throat cant handle chocolate, or as in one of my other throats (how many?) cant handle chocolate?
My mother always said that. I guess it is silly to talk about multiple throats, eh?

I had the problem hit me all the time when I would go to the movies that were rated R with my cousin and some beautiful shapely chick would take off her clothes. I would start choking on the chocolate then, and then I had to choke, as softly as I could as to not draw attention to myself.

Old 07-16-06, 05:11 PM
nap
We always referred to it as "going down the wrong pipe" as in aspirating it into the trachea as opposed to it going down the esophagus rather that different throats.

Old 07-16-06, 06:59 PM
Even cockroaches will carefully study you before trying to go after the food on your plate while you are at the table. I know!
I don't think I could live where the roaches study at the dinner table

That a blow torch helps wipe out a swarm of mosquitoes coming after you. I know all about this, also.
Mosquitoes are smart insects too!

Ultra-soft t.p. does not rid your butt of poopy very well. Kind of smears it around. I have experienced this first hand.
Probably more information than any of us needed.

Daveboy - I gotta' ask. No offense intended, but is any of this stream of semiconciousness chemically induced or does your head just normally work this way.

Old 07-16-06, 07:09 PM
Daveboy - I gotta' ask. No offense intended, but is any of this stream of miconciousness chemically induced or does your head just normally work this way.
[/QUOTE]

Gotta agree with Wayne Mitchell when was the last time you had a cat scan

Old 07-16-06, 09:34 PM
Quote:

What's CFL?
Up here it can only be "Canadian Football League"
Doug Flutie, Rocket Ishmail, Warren Moon, Garcia, Ricky Williams (wanna toke?), joe theisman, Vince Ferragamo............., the list goes on and on

Last edited by mjd2k; 07-16-06 at 09:46 PM.
Old 07-17-06, 04:00 AM
OK dave got another question for you

Why is ice clear and snow white?

Old 07-17-06, 09:17 AM
Group Moderator
Variation: How much would the sea level rise if the ENTIRE northern polar cap melted?
Very little; sorry Al.

Isn't the CFL where all the NFL wannabees and has-beens go? [CFL=compact fluorescent light(bulb)]

And why isn't the word "phonics" spelled phonetically? [Stolen one-liner]

Old 07-17-06, 11:47 AM
Originally Posted by the_tow_guy
Variation: Isn't the CFL where all the NFL wannabees and has-beens go?
Yes..............but its fun to watch.

Old 07-17-06, 05:32 PM
I know what it is like to have a better guardian angel than the Capital One guardian angel. I almost drowned several times but was spared. I hit several deer without ever getting a scratch in my car. My aunt and I prayed together that I'd find my glasses in the lake and as soon as we finished, I found them. A car load of Indians ran me off the road at 75 mph and I hit the shoulder and my car went on 2 wheels, but I managed to get back on the road without going into the abyss! I took a full hit of 120 current (yes..a FULL hit) and never got hurt. But what a thud it made in my chest. And more.

That you really can start a blaze with a magnifying glass. Was it fun. Right in a punky log. Burned the whole log up.

That some skin lotions feel like there is its of sand in it and others are greasy and a couple are juuuust right.

That frost heave is so strong it will lift a cut-off telephone pole buried 6 feet or deeper in the ground (rule of thumb I was told was that they bury them about 1/3 their height, but am not positive on this.), and heave it out of the ground a couple or few inches every year. The ground acting like it is a skin and it is trying to get rid of a sliver. Outside my cyprus sided beach house I similarly found many nails squirted themselves out of the wood by themselves by up to 2 inches!

To look at the lumens rating on the box of light bulbs when you buy them, comparing what it is for the same wattage light bulbs.

To turn off the power when working on 240v appliances as even if the switch is off, and you fiddle with one of the 110v legs in the appliance...that it could be hot. The reason it does not energize is that the other leg is switched. So..don't talke chances thinking you are okay because the appliances switch(es) is/are turned off.

To shake up stored paint cans and aerosol cans once in a while and keep them in a cool place.

To buy at least 2 of certain aerosol products, when you only need 1, in case one of them lost it's air. I have had bad luck at times with cans of ceiling texture, foam sealant, and Fix-A-Flat. Then...if you don't actually need to use two of them, return the other one at some later date when you have to buy something else at the store.

That mulching blade lawnmowers are the only way to go.

I have pondered that if you dispose of your grass clippings, instead of mulch, if your yard technically sinks.

I have wondered how they know how hot the sun is. Wouldn't a thermometer melt?

That an acid-based household cleaner can permanently discolor a stainless steel appliance or sink, if you leave it on too long. It will turn it dull gray.

That stainless steel can actually rust. And there are various grades of stainless just as their are different grades of bolts (like aircraft strength bolts...I think they are rated a #5 or #6)

I know what it feels like to be in a car and hit deer at 45 mph. Try 4 deer at once...killing 3. 2 outright dead...and no scratch or dent on car.

That the Amish don't believe in having autos or phones, but will ride in your car or use your phone.

That op's poop can't be all that bad for us because the Roto Rooter guy I called out this last Friday has never come down with any disease in 30 years of working in this field, he said.

The mystery of the stovetop burner or oven or water heater element; that you won't get electrocuted by touching it even though current goes through it (but the outer metal skin you touch, that glows red, is not where the current is; it is inside of it)

That if whoever is able to solve a Rubics Cube is a genius..then what does that make the creator of the Rubics Cube?

To get girls to talk to you at the beach; don a pair of Groucho Marx nose/glasses. It works!

For a cheap thrill to get a rise out of people, buy/wear a baseball cap that says "FU" on it, and has under it "Fordham University". The guy working the checkout at the grocery store says to me, when he saw my hat, "FU, eh? Ha. Fordham, eh?" Ha.

Last edited by DaVeBoy; 07-17-06 at 05:45 PM.
Old 07-17-06, 05:41 PM
(the tow guy)

And why isn't the word "phonics" spelled phonetically? [Stolen one-liner]

(DaVeBoy)

And people often often type on the internet, in a smarty-pants fashion that someone mispelled a word. [Check out the 3rd word from the end.]

Old 07-18-06, 03:01 PM
I don't know if you guys are still subscribed (I just found this thread searching for glass cleaning tips---imagine my delight!), but this seems like the perfect forum for some of my rants, er, wisdom:
My Pet Peeves
1. Toilets left with the lid up; the only way a toilet should be left is with both seat and lid down. Open to use, close when done.

2. People who quickly mumble an attempt to finish my sentences. It's annoying, and it's usually NOT what I was going to say.

3. Your vs. You're: Your grammar is important. You're welcome.

4. Ties on top ten lists shall not increase the total number of entries. A tie for number 4 should be followed by number 6.

5. People who pass me, then slow down. I'm not playing; I'm using cruise control

6. Mispronunciations: Lauren, as in Ralph Lauren, rhymes with foreign; Nike rhymes with spiky; Porsche is a two-syllable word.

Old 07-18-06, 03:07 PM
Something learned the hard way.

I did this when I 1st got started in hvac. Got called to an account for a water heater problem and found the element burnt out. Easy job right?

Never ever remove the heating element to an electric water heater that's in the ceiling of a antiques store without 1st draining it.

Old 07-18-06, 03:14 PM
Glad you found this place. It get's pretty hilarious at times and you can release all (or at least most) of your worries and hang ups here.

Originally Posted by eddieo45
1. Toilets left with the lid up; the only way a toilet should be left is with both seat and lid down. Open to use, close when done.
My favorite is when that happens I can yell out "WHO LEFT THE TOILET SEAT UP????!!!" and no one admits it and it doesn't happen again.

Originally Posted by eddie045
2. People who quickly mumble an attempt to finish my sentences. It's annoying, and it's usually NOT ....
...what you were going to say? lol...sorry...but I do that a lot. I'm one of them but at least I know it I try to change!

Originally Posted by eddie045
5. People who pass me, then slow down. I'm not playing; I'm using cruise control
Me too-hate that!

Old 07-18-06, 03:46 PM
Pet Peeves......too frustrating an exercise to think of them and then write them down.........but this quote.....

Originally Posted by DIYaddict

"WHO LEFT THE TOILET SEAT UP????!!!
I lived with 3 other guys and we went the opposite. Rule was that the seat and lid were to be left up. Its all about effeciency....but now that I'm domesticated, I leave the seat and lid down.

Old 07-18-06, 03:59 PM
Hmmm...I think the topic got changed. Let's keep stick to the main thread! Someone start another thread for "Pet peeves"!

(Don't let Dave see this)

Old 07-19-06, 11:17 AM
Originally Posted by eddieo45
3. Your vs. You're: Your grammar is important. You're welcome.

knot two evrywon it izant!!!

sorry lex.......i couldn't resist! but i know you won't be mad ~ you're probably still on cloud 9 from finding that QUORTER, right???!!!!

Old 07-19-06, 11:19 AM
Hmmm...I think the topic got changed. Let's keep stick to the main thread! Someone start another thread for "Pet peeves"!

(Don't let Dave see this)
i wasn't under the impression that staying on topic was a rule enforced in Chats!?

who's Dave??

Old 07-19-06, 11:28 AM
Yeah...I think I made up my own rule sorry...

I meant "DaVeBoY"(member). Didn't you see all the threads he's created? He's got a mind of his own which is quite interesting.
He has so many threads that I don't where it started from but other people (not to mention names! ) were asking what is going on with all these questions...I told him to go for it since this is the right forum so he sure went for it and created a lot of threads and sure has a whole lot to say.

Old 07-19-06, 12:08 PM
oh! DaVeBoy......gotcha. sorry - when we start using nicknames for our nicknames, i get confused.

Old 07-19-06, 12:46 PM
Group Moderator
No problem, "Shoes" [Nobody will be confused over THAT one].

Old 07-19-06, 12:56 PM
kinda makes me The_Toe_Girl, doesn't it?!?!

Old 07-19-06, 01:03 PM
Originally Posted by Annette
knot two evrywon it izant!!!

sorry lex.......i couldn't resist! but i know you won't be mad ~ you're probably still on cloud 9 from finding that QUORTER, right???!!!!
Yeah.Tried to pickup a crome manhole cover but it would not fit in my pocket.But guess what I went to pick up a pair of size 8 high heal pumps in the street of annette and there was a $100 bill in it j/k

Old 07-19-06, 01:12 PM
Everyone's on a roll today!

Lex are those pumps for you????

Old 07-19-06, 01:44 PM
Everyone's on a roll today!

Lex are those pumps for you????
No I was getting them for the_toe_girl