Sweeping up grass clippings

Reply

  #1  
Old 07-19-06, 04:46 PM
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Where the cows roam, CA
Posts: 2,204
Sweeping up grass clippings

I was mowing the grass last night and then started sweeping the mess I made. There was a little breeze so it made it hard for me to sweep the grass clippings! I finally gave up and swept what I could and picked it up. The rest I just left b/c the darn wind was blowing. What do you guys do???? Was that wrong of me? Do you think my neighbors may have though I'm an idiot???
 
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 07-19-06, 05:15 PM
lexmarks567's Avatar
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Warren MI
Posts: 610
Well I use a gas rear bagger with the bag so as it gets full I just empty into a gabage can for recycle.here in Warren Michigan we recycle the grass clippings. We put them out the night before trash pickup.They get picked up in the morning. A Gabage truck for the City Of Warren recycle center empties them.You get sitckers from city hall to stick on the trash cans that say CITY OF WARREN
YARD WASTE ONLY
NO GARBAGE
Yard waste is grass clippings branches leaves things like that.Its real handy but is only avalible from spring to fall.

if your city does not have that use a leaf blower to blow the clipping onto the grass. They say to leave some clippings on the lawn cause it acts as a fertilizer.best when you have a company come out a spray your lawn the clippings will go down and continue killing the weeds.


Originally Posted by DIYaddict
I was mowing the grass last night and then started sweeping the mess I made. There was a little breeze so it made it hard for me to sweep the grass clippings! I finally gave up and swept what I could and picked it up. The rest I just left b/c the darn wind was blowing. What do you guys do???? Was that wrong of me? Do you think my neighbors may have though I'm an idiot???
 
  #3  
Old 07-19-06, 05:19 PM
mattison's Avatar
Member
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Cinti, OH
Posts: 5,549
I just use the blower and blow it in the yard.
 
  #4  
Old 07-19-06, 05:43 PM
Member
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Cape Cod
Posts: 4,320
I have what they call a "Cape Lawn"
Basically a sandy mix of pine needles and scrubby weeds
It'd be nice to mow actual grass
 
  #5  
Old 07-19-06, 06:18 PM
lexmarks567's Avatar
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Warren MI
Posts: 610
Originally Posted by slickshift
I have what they call a "Cape Lawn"
Basically a sandy mix of pine needles and scrubby weeds
It'd be nice to mow actual grass
Just clean that up and put down sod.
 
  #6  
Old 07-19-06, 06:46 PM
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Where the cows roam, CA
Posts: 2,204
Originally Posted by lexmarks567
Yard waste is grass clippings branches leaves things like that.Its real handy but is only avalible from spring to fall.
Interesting...we have the "Yard Waste Only" trash can here too but we have them all year round. Then we have the "Recycle" and "Trash" ones so there's 3. BTW, I HATE taking the trash out!

I have learned to keep grass clippings on the grass but some just go out onto the driveway or sidewalk and I couldn't just sweep it back to the yard (grass) b/c the wind wasn't working with me. I have the bagger too but during the summer I keep it off.

Originally Posted by slickshift
It'd be nice to mow actual grass.
You are welcome to come and mow my grass anytime!

Hmmm...how much are blowers? I feel like I'd look like a foolish woman blowing the things. I've never seem a female actually use one of those...not that they can't!...and not that men were made to do the job, but I have no choice.
 
  #7  
Old 07-19-06, 07:01 PM
lexmarks567's Avatar
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Warren MI
Posts: 610
=DIYaddict

Hmmm...how much are blowers?
Well since your afraid of gas electirc are cheap.look around

BTW since your afraid of gas why don't you drive an electric car
 

Last edited by lexmarks567; 07-19-06 at 10:06 PM.
  #8  
Old 07-19-06, 09:03 PM
Group Moderator
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: WI/MN
Posts: 18,717
I don't sweep them up at all - you've noticed the wind will blow them, it will eventually blow them away for you.
 
  #9  
Old 07-19-06, 10:15 PM
mjd2k's Avatar
Member
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Canadian Prairies
Posts: 352
I'm weird about lawn and sidewalks looking good so I lower my rear bagger to about 1 inch off the ground and "mow" the sidewalks. The mower sucks everything up, even clumps of dirt.

Also, my mower (and virtually all others) throw grass to the right, so I push the mower along the sidwalk with the lawn to the right to blow clippings back onto the lawn where you can't see them.

I mow the perimeter first about 2 or 3 rows (blowing to the right.) Then you wont' get clipping on the sidewalk.

Originally Posted by DIYaddict
I feel like I'd look like a foolish woman blowing the things. I've never seem a female actually use one of those...not that they can't!...and not that men were made to do the job, but I have no choice.
Good point. I've never seen a woman use one either. Hmmm.........must be some sort of clue to the differences between men and women but its way beyond me
 

Last edited by mjd2k; 07-19-06 at 10:30 PM.
  #10  
Old 07-20-06, 12:47 AM
tae's Avatar
tae
tae is offline
Member
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 2,469
mulch cut or blower
 
  #11  
Old 07-20-06, 04:07 AM
the_tow_guy's Avatar
Group Moderator
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: SW Fla USA
Posts: 11,575
Mulch cut and I let the daily pm thunderstorm do the rest.
 
  #12  
Old 07-20-06, 06:37 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 44,024
Originally Posted by mjd2k
Also, my mower (and virtually all others) throw grass to the right, so I push the mower along the sidwalk with the lawn to the right to blow clippings back onto the lawn where you can't see them.

That's what I do, it also works well at keeping the grass clippings out of flower beds and such. You can also run the mower over the drive or sidewalk to blow the grass clippings back onto the lawn.
 
  #13  
Old 07-20-06, 09:26 AM
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Where the cows roam, CA
Posts: 2,204
Originally Posted by lexmarks567
BTW since your afraid of gas why don't you drive an electric car
Yeah, my dad mentioned that too me too (somewhat) since I told him I'm afraid of "gas" things. Made sense but I better get into working with gas powered things.

Originally Posted by mjd2k
I mow the perimeter first about 2 or 3 rows (blowing to the right)..
Good idea...except I don't know which way it blows to!...hmmm...I think I'll try mowing with bagger the edges and the take it off and do the rest w/out the bagger.
 
  #14  
Old 07-20-06, 11:53 AM
Member
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 206
Mulch cut and blower. Or pave the yard
 
  #15  
Old 07-22-06, 01:21 PM
Member
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Cape Cod
Posts: 4,320
Originally Posted by lexmarks567
Just clean that up and put down sod.
Ha ha ha...it'll just die
There's no actual dirt in my yard, well, very little
I suppose I could fill it in with some real soil, then sod
But I think my backyard would loose a little of it's boggy charm
Originally Posted by DIYaddict
You are welcome to come and mow my grass anytime!
I'll be over Sunday AM
Lol

Hey it's not that I enjoy mowing, as per my allergist I'm not even supposed to do it
It's just I feel silly pushing that thing around over
the few measly blades I have, but I have to chop the tops off of any weeds that pop up so it looks level

...I'm not exagerating
 
  #16  
Old 07-22-06, 04:20 PM
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Where the cows roam, CA
Posts: 2,204
Originally Posted by slickshift
as per my allergist I'm not even supposed to do it
uhuh............

"Allergist"? There's such a title? I guess there is! I get allergies too once in a while but I love the smell of fresh cut grass.
 
Reply

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes