Sweeping up grass clippings

Old 07-19-06, 04:46 PM
Sweeping up grass clippings

I was mowing the grass last night and then started sweeping the mess I made. There was a little breeze so it made it hard for me to sweep the grass clippings! I finally gave up and swept what I could and picked it up. The rest I just left b/c the darn wind was blowing. What do you guys do???? Was that wrong of me? Do you think my neighbors may have though I'm an idiot???

Sponsored Links
Old 07-19-06, 05:15 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Well I use a gas rear bagger with the bag so as it gets full I just empty into a gabage can for recycle.here in Warren Michigan we recycle the grass clippings. We put them out the night before trash pickup.They get picked up in the morning. A Gabage truck for the City Of Warren recycle center empties them.You get sitckers from city hall to stick on the trash cans that say CITY OF WARREN
YARD WASTE ONLY
NO GARBAGE
Yard waste is grass clippings branches leaves things like that.Its real handy but is only avalible from spring to fall.

if your city does not have that use a leaf blower to blow the clipping onto the grass. They say to leave some clippings on the lawn cause it acts as a fertilizer.best when you have a company come out a spray your lawn the clippings will go down and continue killing the weeds.

Originally Posted by DIYaddict
I was mowing the grass last night and then started sweeping the mess I made. There was a little breeze so it made it hard for me to sweep the grass clippings! I finally gave up and swept what I could and picked it up. The rest I just left b/c the darn wind was blowing. What do you guys do???? Was that wrong of me? Do you think my neighbors may have though I'm an idiot???

Old 07-19-06, 05:19 PM
I just use the blower and blow it in the yard.

Old 07-19-06, 05:43 PM
I have what they call a "Cape Lawn"
Basically a sandy mix of pine needles and scrubby weeds
It'd be nice to mow actual grass

Old 07-19-06, 06:18 PM
Originally Posted by slickshift
I have what they call a "Cape Lawn"
Basically a sandy mix of pine needles and scrubby weeds
It'd be nice to mow actual grass
Just clean that up and put down sod.

Old 07-19-06, 06:46 PM
Originally Posted by lexmarks567
Yard waste is grass clippings branches leaves things like that.Its real handy but is only avalible from spring to fall.
Interesting...we have the "Yard Waste Only" trash can here too but we have them all year round. Then we have the "Recycle" and "Trash" ones so there's 3. BTW, I HATE taking the trash out!

I have learned to keep grass clippings on the grass but some just go out onto the driveway or sidewalk and I couldn't just sweep it back to the yard (grass) b/c the wind wasn't working with me. I have the bagger too but during the summer I keep it off.

It'd be nice to mow actual grass.
You are welcome to come and mow my grass anytime!

Hmmm...how much are blowers? I feel like I'd look like a foolish woman blowing the things. I've never seem a female actually use one of those...not that they can't!...and not that men were made to do the job, but I have no choice.

Old 07-19-06, 07:01 PM
=DIYaddict

Hmmm...how much are blowers?
Well since your afraid of gas electirc are cheap.look around

BTW since your afraid of gas why don't you drive an electric car

Last edited by lexmarks567; 07-19-06 at 10:06 PM.
Old 07-19-06, 09:03 PM
Group Moderator
I don't sweep them up at all - you've noticed the wind will blow them, it will eventually blow them away for you.

Old 07-19-06, 10:15 PM
I'm weird about lawn and sidewalks looking good so I lower my rear bagger to about 1 inch off the ground and "mow" the sidewalks. The mower sucks everything up, even clumps of dirt.

Also, my mower (and virtually all others) throw grass to the right, so I push the mower along the sidwalk with the lawn to the right to blow clippings back onto the lawn where you can't see them.

I mow the perimeter first about 2 or 3 rows (blowing to the right.) Then you wont' get clipping on the sidewalk.

I feel like I'd look like a foolish woman blowing the things. I've never seem a female actually use one of those...not that they can't!...and not that men were made to do the job, but I have no choice.
Good point. I've never seen a woman use one either. Hmmm.........must be some sort of clue to the differences between men and women but its way beyond me

Last edited by mjd2k; 07-19-06 at 10:30 PM.
Old 07-20-06, 12:47 AM
tae
mulch cut or blower

Old 07-20-06, 04:07 AM
Group Moderator
Mulch cut and I let the daily pm thunderstorm do the rest.

Old 07-20-06, 06:37 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by mjd2k
Also, my mower (and virtually all others) throw grass to the right, so I push the mower along the sidwalk with the lawn to the right to blow clippings back onto the lawn where you can't see them.

That's what I do, it also works well at keeping the grass clippings out of flower beds and such. You can also run the mower over the drive or sidewalk to blow the grass clippings back onto the lawn.

Old 07-20-06, 09:26 AM
BTW since your afraid of gas why don't you drive an electric car
Yeah, my dad mentioned that too me too (somewhat) since I told him I'm afraid of "gas" things. Made sense but I better get into working with gas powered things.

Originally Posted by mjd2k
I mow the perimeter first about 2 or 3 rows (blowing to the right)..
Good idea...except I don't know which way it blows to!...hmmm...I think I'll try mowing with bagger the edges and the take it off and do the rest w/out the bagger.

Old 07-20-06, 11:53 AM
Mulch cut and blower. Or pave the yard

Old 07-22-06, 01:21 PM
Just clean that up and put down sod.
Ha ha ha...it'll just die
There's no actual dirt in my yard, well, very little
I suppose I could fill it in with some real soil, then sod
But I think my backyard would loose a little of it's boggy charm
You are welcome to come and mow my grass anytime!
I'll be over Sunday AM
Lol

Hey it's not that I enjoy mowing, as per my allergist I'm not even supposed to do it
It's just I feel silly pushing that thing around over
the few measly blades I have, but I have to chop the tops off of any weeds that pop up so it looks level

...I'm not exagerating

Old 07-22-06, 04:20 PM
as per my allergist I'm not even supposed to do it
uhuh............

"Allergist"? There's such a title? I guess there is! I get allergies too once in a while but I love the smell of fresh cut grass.