5 finger discount

Old 08-13-06, 07:09 PM
wow..did you type all those quotes out? !!! Yikes! You didn't have to.

Next time you can quote hitting that quote button or did you...?It's not necessary to quote anyway if the you are posting directly below what you wanted to post about. It makes the thread extremely long and distracting and it's unnecessary so I'm going to edit that...no offense

About your transitor radio...hmmm...when you got your refund, did you tell them it didn't work? I don't know if I would call that "fraud".

Update: I just notice you replied to each quote you typed out...so I'm not editing.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-06, 07:17 PM
nap
"apparently somebody had already bought the sizes he needed. That's why he bought the wrong size and swapped them back for the right size." - This is correct. I made my own rain check

Just seems easier to get the raincheck. You actually ran the risk of them never getting your size back into stock. ALthough you could simply return the shirts, that ultimatley would end up more work than just getting the raincheck. Even purchasing and exchanging would be more work than the raincheck. It would at least require more caloric consumption to carry the shirts than carry the raincheck, ergo, more work, although very little.

"If they did limit it to stock on hand ONLY, then you may be guilty of fraud or retail theft." - Only if caught.

That is absolutely incorrect. If a tree falls in the forrest, even if there is nobody there to observe it, it still makes a sound.

If you commit a crime, whether you are caught or not, you still commit a crime.

"Although you didn't return them for cash, if you had and recieved the NON sale price, you would be guilty of a crime."

That would not be possible, I dont believe. A refund is not possible without the reciept.

At that store maybe but some stores have had this exact thing happen to them. They have also prosecuted those caught doing this as well.

At the same department store, I purchased a transister radio. Took it home and could not get it to play. Change the batteries several times. Still wouldn't play. And wouldn't you know it ? I lost my receipt. So, I went back to the department store and purchased another radio. The exact same model as the original. Took it home and it worked. Then, took the original radio and the new receipt back to the store for a full refund. If you see anything wrong with this, please let me know. I think some will say this is fraud. Is it ? Think about it.[/QUOTE]

As a technicality, yes you have defrauded the store. While they actually would have no loss greater than if you had the reciept and exchanged it correctly, the reciept you had was not for the radio you returned so it was fraud.

Old 08-14-06, 10:35 PM
"At the same department store, I purchased a transister radio. Took it home and could not get it to play. Change the batteries several times. Still wouldn't play. And wouldn't you know it ? I lost my receipt. So, I went back to the department store and purchased another radio. The exact same model as the original. Took it home and it worked. Then, took the original radio and the new receipt back to the store for a full refund. If you see anything wrong with this, please let me know. I think some will say this is fraud. Is it ? Think about it."

Technically "fraud" but come'on.........give me a break.......who would care? Common sense must occasionly prevail. You saved yourself the hassle and you were morally correct........so again....who would care? Not the minimum wage clerk or the box store.

I ran an interent sales group years ago and some of my people would research for hours to prove the customer tried to rip us off of 10.00 in minutes (or whatever). We should spend 500.00 on labour to save 10.00? I set a policy that we write off any disputes under 100.00 and we record it in our database. Lets trust the customer buti If it becomes a problem, then we act.

Saved us thousands.

Old 08-15-06, 03:17 AM
nap
Originally Posted by mjd2k
"

Technically "fraud" but come'on.........give me a break.......who would care? Common sense must occasionly prevail. You saved yourself the hassle and you were morally correct........so again....who would care? Not the minimum wage clerk or the box store.

Like I said, technically. If you notice, I did not condemn the action. The retailer would have no loss because of this so there really is no harm done.

Now as to who would care? Who knows? Some anal owner that is stuck on technicalities? Somebody that suspects the customer has defrauded them before and wants to punish them for prior acts?

I would doubt the courts would work too hard on such a prosecution if at all.

Old 08-16-06, 08:00 PM
Stealing is wrong

Originally Posted by lexmarks567
What do you steal from work or hotels?
I would not steal anything from any one,even a hotel,personally i would snitch on someone if I knew they stole,maybe thats because i have been ripped off before.....

Old 09-18-06, 01:12 PM
It would be interesting to know how many of the positive responders to this thread have also declared "What is wrong with people these days" or "Things just aren't what they used to be".
I've never taken anything from work or otherwise without the expressed permission from the owner.
And I mean anything...Even if it was put out for disposal.
I have the luxury of being known to be honest to a fault, and afforded opportunities (trust) that many of my colleagues would die for. All expense paid trips, use of the owners vehicles (never accepted) and paid shake down cruises on his motoryacht (from Florida to Michigan and back to Florida at seasons end).
I return incorrect change from math deficient clerks.

Why?

I have something no one can fake, borrow or steal.
Integrity...

Old 09-18-06, 01:17 PM
I don't know when the last time I felt the need to "steal" anything.

Except someone's girlfriend.

Old 09-18-06, 11:12 PM
Hmm....... Pretty philisophical.

Would you report seeing some rich guy stealing money from the purse of a destitute mother? Maybe you would but would you report seeing that mother looting a grocery store to feed her children during Katrina?

Would you trust someone that did not have the integrity to turn that poor mother over to the police?

A journalism professor once illustrated how peoples values differed by asking us
- if your neighbor was having an affair, is it newsworthy?
no one put up their hand.
- if a city councillor is having an affair, is it newsworthy
maybe 3 people put up their hands
- if the mayor is having an affair, is it newsworthy?
maybe half the class put up their hands
- if blah blah blah blah........you get the point.

Maybe integrity is more about doing the right thing given the circumstances? For example, you could trust me with your children but maybe not with the last piece of pizza you were saving for breakfast

Last edited by mjd2k; 09-18-06 at 11:22 PM.
Old 09-19-06, 05:04 AM
Group Moderator
"I did NOT have sex with that woman...Miss Lewinsky".

Old 09-19-06, 08:56 AM
mjd2k,

Philosophical?

Ingretity is sole based.
Not on the presumptions or actions of what others do!
I am alone accountable for my actions.

Old 09-19-06, 10:26 PM
Originally Posted by the_tow_guy
"I did NOT have sex with that woman...Miss Lewinsky".
Ok,............on that one I bet the whole class would have put up their hand if for no other reason than we wanted more details!

Last edited by mjd2k; 09-20-06 at 07:29 AM.
Old 09-20-06, 04:34 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I don't think 'slick willie' denied the sex part but the relations that was tied to it