5 finger discount

Old 07-24-06, 09:05 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
5 finger discount

What do you steal from work or hotels?

Last edited by lexmarks567; 07-28-06 at 03:48 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-25-06, 04:55 AM
Group Moderator
My boss provides all of the equipment and supplies, but they are sometimes not to my liking, so I actually bring things from home to use at work, like pens and pencils. Pretty much the opposite of what you asked.

Old 07-25-06, 08:57 AM
lol...hate to admit, but I "borrower" pens, stickys, and tape from work (that's about it), but my boss doesn't care.

Hotels...we went to Hawaii and we took the soaps, shampoos and lotion bottels everyday and asked for a "refill" everyday. I still have a lot at home. I wonder if they're good. But I wouldn't go so far as taking robes, towels or anything. I guess it's the same though huh? Stealin' is stealin'.

Hey Lex, you get good 5 finger discount b/c at your work you get the "big" stuff like lawnmowers and all.

Old 07-25-06, 09:04 AM
Group Moderator
I have seen notices in hotels that you are allowed to take the robes, if you like them. In turn, the hotel will add an amount to your bill way higher than what the robe would cost you in a store.

Old 07-25-06, 09:45 AM
I was in a medium sized company that did not individually track office supplies or sundry items. I often worked at home so I never had a problem outfitting my home office with stuff from work. I would tell our clerical I needed a stapler/pens/paper/baskets/paper/whiteboard/markers/calculator etc.... for home and they would get me whatever I needed.

Hotel stuff I wouldn't take because they'll just add it to your bill later if you paid with a credit card.

Old 07-25-06, 11:24 AM
taking the tiny shampoos, lotions & soaps from hotels isn't stealing. it's there for you to use/take. believe me - you're paying for it. even if you didn't use them, the housekeeper would probably throw them all away & put out new ones for the next guest, as opposed to taking the time to inspect each one to determine if you used any of it or not.

where i work, they collect those hotel items from people who travel often & continually donate them to a local women's shelter.

as for hotels with slippers & robes in the room, i'd like to think that if you can afford a room in a hotel that nice, you're either wealthy enough and/or classy enough to have your own robe & slippers and not want/need to steal theirs and/or know that it's just wrong, and you won't be dumb enough to think you could possibly get away with it without their noticing & adding the charge to your bill.

Last edited by Annette; 07-25-06 at 11:41 AM.
Old 07-25-06, 12:38 PM
But I wouldn't go so far as taking robes, towels or anything. I guess it's the same though huh? Stealin' is stealin'.
Let go of the guilt DIYaddict. Shampoos, soaps etc are consumables. Paid for in your room rate. Definitely not stealing.
Towels and robes are intended to be cleaned and reused in most hotels.
I used to attend a conference every year at a Marriott in San Diego. Every year one of the wives collected all of the soaps, shampoos, lotions etc. from most of us. She always had a large stash after a couple of weeks.She volunteered at a senior center and would pass the stuff out among the residents when she got home.

DIYaddict - when were you in Hawaii? We just got back from a couple of weeks in paradise. Great weather, great beaches, great golf and the highest gasoline prices I've seen - #3.89 for regular.

Old 07-25-06, 01:10 PM
I was in Hawaii last year or the year before. I forgot! It seems like forever-ago.

I feel better now that ya all mention it's ok to take the soaps, shampoo and conditioner and lotion things. Those things aren't as nice as the ones you really buy but I personally just feel I got my monies worth. hahaha

Old 07-25-06, 01:31 PM
Hey Lex, you get good 5 finger discount b/c at your work you get the "big" stuff like lawnmowers and all.
Hate to dissipoint you DIY but I don't work Im a full time dedicated stay at home............Couch pototo

Old 07-25-06, 01:34 PM
You DO work! You work on all those lawn mowers and gas things don't cha? And then make money off of 'em. That's work isn't it???

A couch what? Pototo???

Old 07-25-06, 01:43 PM
Originally Posted by DIYaddict
You DO work! You work on all those lawn mowers and gas things don't cha? And then make money off of 'em. That's work isn't it???

A couch what? Pototo???
That means you spend most of the time in front of the TV.

How do you think I come up with this stuff.

99% is from hanging around daVeboy to long 1% is TV

Old 07-25-06, 01:50 PM
you mean "potato".

If you spend only 1% of your time watching tv....you're not a couch potato. I don't know what it's called when you hang around Dave 99% of your time though.

Old 07-25-06, 02:03 PM
Originally Posted by lexmarks567
Hate to dissipoint you DIY but I don't work Im a full time dedicated stay at home............Couch pototo
yeah.........why exactly is that, anyway? why are you 21 years old & not out working? i know you're able-bodied enough to go out on a bicycle & drag a lawn mower home.

Old 07-25-06, 02:04 PM
Is it pototo or potato depends on where your from.Remember that question.

Old 07-25-06, 02:09 PM
Is it pototo or potato depends on where your from.Remember that question.
Nope. You mean like tomatoe or tomoto?

Old 07-25-06, 02:11 PM
[QUOTE=Annette]are you 21 years old & not out working? iQUOTE]

Im 20 years old. No I did not finsh high school . I was pulled out cause of to many fights. I tried finding jobs. Went so far and out of state never heard back.So as I soon as I get a flyer in the mail of adult ED. I will sign up but they want $250 just to sign up.

Pet pevs. When you walking and some idot has to spash you by driving through a puddle.

When people who drive S.U.Vs think they own the road.

Old 07-25-06, 02:17 PM
[
Pet pevs. When you walking and some idot has to spash you by driving through a puddle.

When people who drive S.U.Vs think they own the road.
wrong thread. this is the 5-finger-discount thread. try again.

Last edited by Annette; 07-25-06 at 02:31 PM.
Old 07-25-06, 02:26 PM
[QUOTE]
Originally Posted by Annette
wrong thread. this is the 5-finger-discount thread. try again.
OK take 2 and action.

Why not take towels. Jay leno said if you add up 1000's of towels stolen from hotels it would add up to the thickness of 1 inch.

Hey toe_girl Im suprised you don't complane about the slippers at hotels. You know they don't wash them.Or the sheets for that matter.Who knows what kind of foot the last person had.Not all if it will come out with washing.The last person could have a in grown toenail and ..............

Last edited by Annette; 07-25-06 at 02:32 PM. Reason: too gross.........settle down now.
Old 07-25-06, 02:34 PM
who's staying at hotels with robes & slippers??? sorry, the hotels i stay at don't offer those. who do you think i am, Martha Stewart?

Old 07-25-06, 02:43 PM
Group Moderator
Originally Posted by Annette
who do you think i am, Martha Stewart?
No, we're all pretty sure you're Imelda Marcos.....

Old 07-25-06, 02:53 PM
No I did not finsh high school .
Hey Lex, you know, you don't need a high school diploma to go to work. Speaking of...I did graduate high school, but when I called for my transcripts or for proof I graduated, they told me I never did graduate...that was hilariously to me but whatever!!! It didn't bother me.

Old 07-25-06, 04:43 PM
when I called for my transcripts or for proof I graduated, they told me I never did graduate...that was hilariously to me but whatever!!! It didn't bother me.
It botheres me to this day. I ended up having to get a GED to fullfill my job requirments. That's about the hokiest test ever. I nevr studied once for it and when I took the practice test the lady said she hadn't seen a score that good. I passed the real one with a 98%.

Just to stay on topic. I steal everything I can get my hands on. Does anybody need some work done in their house?

Old 07-25-06, 05:08 PM
Originally Posted by mattison
Just to stay on topic. I steal everything I can get my hands on. Does anybody need some work done in their house?
YEAH get over here and build me an above ground pool. Your all invited to come over too

Old 07-25-06, 08:05 PM
Originally Posted by mattison
It botheres me to this day. I ended up having to get a GED to fullfill my job requirments. That's about the hokiest test ever. I nevr studied once for it and when I took the practice test the lady said she hadn't seen a score that good. I passed the real one with a 98%.
It bothers you huh? Obviously not the score. What a N-E-R-D u r! J/k You're just one bright man! I'm glad I didn't have to get my GED b/c I would never pass. I hate school!!!!!!

Old 07-25-06, 08:10 PM
What's the def for 5 finger discount? Speaking of...I am getting my first lap top in a few weeks and I need to "borrow" some programs from work to download on to my computer (then of course take it back to work and put it back where it belongs). Is that considered a five finger discount?

Old 07-25-06, 08:47 PM
Group Moderator
The name comes from the fact that you're getting a discount off the regular price (the ultimate discount - free) by using the five fingers of your hand to take it.

Old 07-25-06, 09:25 PM
I am getting my first lap top in a few weeks and I need to "borrow" some programs from work to download on to my computer (then of course take it back to work and put it back where it belongs). Is that considered a five finger discount?
Nope..........in my books thats just smart unless you get caught.....but I've never seen that happen

Always remember that "borrowing" SW is a victimless crime........

Rationalization is key: You are learning the SW while using it at home...which helps you be more productive at work.

However, you may not be able to activate it but nothing lost trying.

Old 07-26-06, 09:26 AM
Originally Posted by mjd2k
Always remember that "borrowing" SW is a victimless crime........
Excuse my stupidity but what's "SW"???

Old 07-26-06, 09:31 AM
Group Moderator
SW = software

Old 07-26-06, 09:38 AM
Hee hee...thanks Mitch (Also for the explanation on 5 finger discount!)

Old 08-12-06, 12:37 PM
Good topic. I've been known to take a few things home from work. I'm not saying it's the "right" thing to do. I personally consider it a benefit of the job. And, I am nearly sure every one does it. Everyone I work with, any way. A roll of tape, a few wire nuts, bolts, screws, light bulbs, lubricants, length of hose. And management knows about it. Management cant come right out an say it aproves of this behavior by it's employees. We dont take, just to be taking. We have a genuine need for what we take. It's a benefit that is not abused. We also have tools and machinary that can be borrowed. Of course, these items must be returned. But, it's another wonderfull benefit. But, borrowing and returning what was borrowed cant be considered stealing.

Now, about some place other than where I work. I have done the following on "sale" priced items. Please, give me your opinion on this.

I have purchased some fair quality flannel shirts, at an incredible low price. But, only a few were my size. I still purchased 10. Seven of which were the wrong size. When the shirts were restocked with my size, the sale was over. I then returned the shirts I had purchased (unopened) and traded them in for the exact same shirt in my size. To me, this is not stealing. But some people tell me, in their opinion, it is. I dont see how though, since the shirts were in the original unopened wraping, with pins card board backing still in place. I did not return for a refund. I merely returned for an exchange on a different size shirt of the same style and brand.

What do you think ? Was I stealing or not ? And why do you think I was or wasn't ?

Old 08-12-06, 01:28 PM
Group Moderator
It may not seem like much to you, but if several people are taking things here and there, the total cost to the company can be enormous.

Old 08-12-06, 03:04 PM
5 finger discount

If everyone knowingly cheated on purchases and returns the following can happen:

1. The store has to raise the prices because of the caliber of the customers.

2. The store has to hire more security and raise prices.

3. The store has to check closer on its cusomers and not be as trusting on returns.

4. The store can close or move since the customers it serves are not profitable.

You probably bought some shirts on sale that another person was not able to buy because they were out after you purchased your 7 that did not fit.

You can always get fair quality shirts at a much lower price at the Goodwill store and benefit someone else.

Dick

Old 08-12-06, 03:37 PM
Workin' Man:

I guess I wouldn't call that "stealing". It's more on the line of cheating or being deceptive (not sure if that's the right word for it). But I'm sure it bothers you since you asked the question. If everyone here says, "nah! That's ok. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that!"...then, I'm guessing you'd agree.

Old 08-12-06, 03:45 PM
nap
Originally Posted by Workin Man

Now, about some place other than where I work. I have done the following on "sale" priced items. Please, give me your opinion on this.

I have purchased some fair quality flannel shirts, at an incredible low price. But, only a few were my size. I still purchased 10. Seven of which were the wrong size. When the shirts were restocked with my size, the sale was over. I then returned the shirts I had purchased (unopened) and traded them in for the exact same shirt in my size. To me, this is not stealing. But some people tell me, in their opinion, it is. I dont see how though, since the shirts were in the original unopened wraping, with pins card board backing still in place. I did not return for a refund. I merely returned for an exchange on a different size shirt of the same style and brand.

What do you think ? Was I stealing or not ? And why do you think I was or wasn't ?

Did you bother to ask if the give rain checks in situations like this? Many stores do.

Old 08-12-06, 06:54 PM
Did you bother to ask if the give rain checks in situations like this? Many stores do.

No. What I did was basically the same thing.

I do appreciate the comments. Keep'em coming.

Old 08-13-06, 09:07 AM
5 finger discount

You did not ask - Bottom line! - Possibly because of the possible answer.

Why buy something that obviously does not fit unless you had other planned motives?

You thought about yourself and gave no consideration to the others that could not buy their size shirts at the advertised price.

What if somebody not your size got there earlier and bought all of your size? Would you have the same feelings (if any?).

I agree with DIYaddict - not stealing, but maybe something worse.

Dick

Old 08-13-06, 11:26 AM
nap
Originally Posted by Concretemasonry

What if somebody not your size got there earlier and bought all of your size? Would you have the same feelings (if any?).
apparently somebody had already bought the sizes he needed. That's why he bought the wrong size and swapped them back for the right size.

Bottom Line: if the store offered rainchecks, you simply went the hard way to have the same result. So, if they do offer rainchecks for such, you apparently do not have the capacity to understand the system. There are defenses in court for you type.

If they did not offer rainchecks but they continue to carry the merchandise (as apparently they do) and not restricted the purchase for any reason, while there may be some ethics and/or morals questions at hand, I doubt you did anything illegal as long as you followed store policy.

If they did limit it to stock on hand ONLY, then you may be guilty of fraud or retail theft.

It all pivots around the stores policies and reasoning for the sale.

So what would you have done if the store simply never restocked in your size??

Although you didn't return them for cash, if you had and recieved the NON sale price, you would be guilty of a crime.

Old 08-13-06, 12:59 PM
A million times I've bought the incorrect size on sale and brought it back later to exchange when they had my size! I always ask clerks if they think more sizes are coming and if its OK for me to exchange later. Never, never has been a problem (from Dept or box stores)

Heck.. I bought a brand new Saturn 2001 and exchanged it over 2 months later for a new 2002! Had to pay 200.00 difference.

But.....I wouldn't do it in a small business without asking the owner if its OK.

Working Man, if you had just asked the clerk, you could have avoided all those sleepless nights and long days spent looking over your shoulder.

Old 08-13-06, 06:41 PM
"You did not ask - Bottom line! - Possibly because of the possible answer." - Possibly

"Why buy something that obviously does not fit unless you had other planned motives?" You're correct on this one. My motive was planned, but not in advance.

"You thought about yourself and gave no consideration to the others that could not buy their size shirts at the advertised price." - Again, correct. It was all about me. First come, first serve. Suppose, I had purchased all the shirts in my size. Leaving none for anyone else of my size. Should I purchase just one so that others may get one their size ? You gotta get it while the getting is good.

"What if somebody not your size got there earlier and bought all of your size? Would you have the same feelings (if any?)."
Nope. They beat me to the punch. I should have gotten there earlier.

"I agree with DIYaddict - not stealing, but maybe something worse." What's worse than stealing ?

"apparently somebody had already bought the sizes he needed. That's why he bought the wrong size and swapped them back for the right size." - This is correct. I made my own rain check

"Bottom Line: if the store offered rainchecks, you simply went the hard way to have the same result. So, if they do offer rainchecks for such, you apparently do not have the capacity to understand the system. There are defenses in court for you type." I believe it to be no harder this way, than to get a rain check. Or, maybe I just dont have the capacity to understand how the system works.

"If they did limit it to stock on hand ONLY, then you may be guilty of fraud or retail theft." - Only if caught.

"So what would you have done if the store simply never restocked in your size??" What anyone would have done. Got a refund, of course.

"Although you didn't return them for cash, if you had and recieved the NON sale price, you would be guilty of a crime."

That would not be possible, I dont believe. A refund is not possible without the reciept.

"A million times I've bought the incorrect size on sale and brought it back later to exchange when they had my size! I always ask clerks if they think more sizes are coming and if its OK for me to exchange later. Never, never has been a problem (from Dept or box stores)"

Dont feel like the lone ranger. I've done the same thing. And I mean by accident.

"Working Man, if you had just asked the clerk, you could have avoided all those sleepless nights and long days spent looking over your shoulder." I assure you, I lost no sleep over this. But I may now. The clerks I generally deal with these days are kids, who dont know and dont care.

I hope nobody thinks I responded to their statements with a chip on my sholder. Your opinions are basically the same as those of others whom I have asked. And I "asked for" your opinions. I have only done this once back in my younger days. But, I did do something similar, just recently. Recently, being in the last couple of years. And I want everyone's opinion on this.

At the same department store, I purchased a transister radio. Took it home and could not get it to play. Change the batteries several times. Still wouldn't play. And wouldn't you know it ? I lost my receipt. So, I went back to the department store and purchased another radio. The exact same model as the original. Took it home and it worked. Then, took the original radio and the new receipt back to the store for a full refund. If you see anything wrong with this, please let me know. I think some will say this is fraud. Is it ? Think about it.