mowing grass

Old 07-26-06, 10:58 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
mowing grass

I cut my own and use a gas lawnmower with a bag on it so I don't have to rake

Last edited by lexmarks567; 07-28-06 at 03:46 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-06, 11:04 AM
Group Moderator
I mow myself. I have a neighbor with a tractor and a 4 year old who likes to ride with his dad when mowing, so they'll sometimes come over and mow for me just to make the boy happy. If that's what it takes to make a kid happy, I'm willing to oblige.

Old 07-26-06, 11:13 AM
Originally Posted by mitch17
I have a neighbor with a tractor and a 4 year old who likes to ride with his dad when mowing, so they'll sometimes come over and mow for me just to make the boy happy. If that's what it takes to make a kid happy, I'm willing to oblige.
Niiiiiiiiiice.....

I mow myself most times. My son, 11 yrs. old mows sometimes. I just don't like when he mows b/c it's not very nice looking. He runs with the mower and doesn't take his time. I'm picky about my lawn being mowed incorrectly. I will never hire anyone. First b/c I don't have the $$$ for it and even if I did, I'd spend it on something else. I think it's a definite luxery to pay someone to mow the lawn. I'm not living a luxurious life

Maybe when I get too old to mow myself, I'd have to hire someone, but in the meantime...4get it.

Old 07-26-06, 11:18 AM
sorry to be a wet blanket, but...........

children have no business being ANYWHERE NEAR a lawn mower. they shouldn't even be out in the yard if it's being mowed. when my husband is mowing the front yard, our kids have to be inside or in the back yard, and vice versa.

we were in our backyard just the other day and our neighbor was mowing his backyard, and all of a sudden, a rock shot out from his mower and hit the back of our house. luckily it missed 6 windows & the eyes & heads of me & my 2 kids.

i have a friend missing a finger because of a lawn mower.

i've seen a girl who had a piece of wire (like part of a wire hanger) shot through her arm from a lawn mower clear across the yard.

i know a girl who was on a riding mower with an adult & the mower jerked, she fell off &, you guessed it, lost part of her foot.

mowers are extremely dangerous. please don't encourage that situation with your idiot next door neighbor. accidents happen all the time & no one ever sees them coming. everyone's "always VERY careful", aren't they?? and yet.....

Old 07-26-06, 11:30 AM
Oh wow! Annette!

I agree with your statements and facts but...

As a matter of fact, I think it's probably safer my son mow the lawn vs. me. I have an electric mower so the darn thing is attached to an extension cord and I always tell my son to be very careful not to run over the cord AND do not run over my sprinkler heads (that's a different story).

But, guess what... I ran over the cord when I mowed (had to pay for another one) and I ran over a sprinkler head and had to replace it. I should be staying indoors, duck and cover and let my son do all the work.

Old 07-26-06, 11:56 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I've always kinda liked mowing. I like being outdoors, If I'm inside too long I get grumpy Biggest problem is when I sweat I tire easily, would have been nice to stay young

When my sons were too young they always begged to mow, when they got old enough I had to threaten them with bodily harm to get them to mow. They are grown now but will come and mow if I'm not able.

Old 07-26-06, 11:58 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Well Then I guess you don't like snowblowers. There even more deadly with that big auger that can pull a arm or leg in if you forget to kill the engine before reaching inside to un-jam it.. ANY outdoor power equpment is dangeris if you don't know how to use it properly.Why do you think they put all those warning and danger stickers on them.Just to scare us.

Originally Posted by Annette
sorry to be a wet blanket, but...........

children have no business being ANYWHERE NEAR a lawn mower. they shouldn't even be out in the yard if it's being mowed. when my husband is mowing the front yard, our kids have to be inside or in the back yard, and vice versa.

we were in our backyard just the other day and our neighbor was mowing his backyard, and all of a sudden, a rock shot out from his mower and hit the back of our house. luckily it missed 6 windows & the eyes & heads of me & my 2 kids.

i have a friend missing a finger because of a lawn mower.

i've seen a girl who had a piece of wire (like part of a wire hanger) shot through her arm from a lawn mower clear across the yard.

i know a girl who was on a riding mower with an adult & the mower jerked, she fell off &, you guessed it, lost part of her foot.

mowers are extremely dangerous. please don't encourage that situation with your idiot next door neighbor. accidents happen all the time & no one ever sees them coming. everyone's "always VERY careful", aren't they?? and yet.....

Old 07-26-06, 12:25 PM
mowing grass

I went through a half dozen walk-behind mowers (Lawnboy-the best, Honda and some junk), riding mowers (John Deere with two can holders) and associated power trimmers and edgers. After 5 houses, I bought a 25 year old low level entry (at the time) town house that even has real wood in it and is built according to code.

Now, I can fix the interior the way I want and watch my birds (8 feeders) and critters (squirels, deer, coons and last year's bear) from the deck or patio while I plan and work slowly on the inside.

I enjoy paying a monthly fee fpr someone to cut the grass and plow the snow when I am gone as long as I can plant the shrubs that I want.

If I get the itch, I can always go to my kid's house to drive the mower. My 6 year old grand daughter took off last year on a snowmobile because she had learned too much by watching, so be careful and don't underestimate the desire to be "machine-macho" (machines that make a lot of noise are defined in the masculine sense for some reason).

Its all a matter of where you are and what you want. I am tired of the lawn hassel. Now my grass looks as good as the other guy's.

Dick

Old 07-26-06, 12:33 PM
My wife mows (1/3 acre) on our John Deere lawn tractor, with mulch kit, and I weed wack and edge. It works out well for us.

If they ever come out with a riding weed wacker I'll be the first in line.

Old 07-26-06, 01:28 PM
Group Moderator
Originally Posted by lexmarks567
Well Then I guess you don't like snowblowers. There even more deadly with that big auger that can pull a arm or leg in if you forget to kill the engine before reaching inside to un-jam it.. ANY outdoor power equpment is dangeris if you don't know how to use it properly.Why do you think they put all those warning and danger stickers on them.Just to scare us.
I'll let the dog be outside if I'm mowing, but not my daughter. If I'm using the snow blower, even the dog must remain inside.

Old 07-26-06, 06:52 PM
Group Moderator
I cut the lawn myself. I find it relaxing. No phones ringing. No decisions to make. Just drive forward and mow down all the commie grass blades.

Old 07-27-06, 05:19 AM
Group Moderator
Originally Posted by DIYaddict
I mow myself most times.
I've heard of women with excess body hair problems, but never THAT bad.

Old 07-27-06, 06:51 AM
I mow nearly 2 acres once or twice a week depending on the rain. I don't mind mowing I just put the mower in go and disengage my head. Good relaxation and an excuse for a post lawn cold one.

Dick - We also have bird feeders out. We enjoy sitting on the deck in the evening watching the hummingbird wars. I took this pic of some of our yard visitors earlier in the week.

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m...waiipt2026.jpg

Last edited by Wayne Mitchell; 07-27-06 at 07:14 AM.
Old 07-27-06, 08:48 AM
Originally Posted by the_tow_guy
I've heard of women with excess body hair problems, but never THAT bad.
That's a good one tow guy!!!! Geez...I should watch what I say !

Old 07-27-06, 09:39 AM
Group Moderator
Roflmao. :d

Old 07-27-06, 10:46 AM
mowing

Single mom here..work full time...school full time....I called the ag teacher at the local high school and he recommended me a very responsible boy who comes over and mow's for me. He does a great job and has even done some clean up work for me in the barn and stuff to raise money to go to Mexico for graduation. I guess his motivation helps!