AYSO mistake

Old 07-27-06, 10:04 AM
AYSO mistake

I signed my son up for soccer. Last night we had our 1st meeting. My parents wanted to go too. We showed up and the coach mistakenly asks my mom, "Oh...you signed your daughter up for soccer?" What????!!!!!!!!!!!! I do not look 12 yrs old!!!!

Then...I pointed to my son and said "No...I signed up my son". He gave me a strange look and said, "I'm coaching an all girls team". OMG!

He looked at the application again and sure enough confirmed I marked "male". He said they must have went by my son's name, "Domunique"-pronouncing it the female way when it's really pronounced "Dominic" or pronounced the male way. (I think either way the female pronunciation can be male or female, but anyway!...)

At first I thought this situation was hilarious but what a waste of our time!!!! I felt bad b/c my parents went for nothing (and so did my son and I).

Anything like this happen to you guys?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-27-06, 10:07 AM
That's not too bad. When I was 12 a friend and I signed up for the drill team. We had no idea what it was. Since it was called "drill team" it sounded kind of macho. We felt pretty stupid the 1st night.

Old 07-27-06, 10:59 AM
i think this is similar:

recently, i ruined a whole afternoon for myself & 4 yo daughter. we could've had a lovely Saturday with the family playing in the pool, but i got her & i out so i'd have plenty of time to shower & get myself & her ready for a 3:00 birthday party she'd been invited to. got us both all dolled up & drove to the house clear across town. i thought it was strange that there weren't any signs or balloons anywhere along the way, and really strange that there were only a couple of cars in the driveway. walked up & rang the doorbell.....waited....waited.....started to think no one was home. then finally, an older lady answered the door, with no makeup on & a confused look on her face (found out later it was the birthday girl's grandmother). i said we were there for the party, and she said, sorry, but it's TOMORROW!!!!!

so not only was that afternoon shot, but we had to repeat the whole process over the next day! grrrrr...... i guess i never even looked at the calendar to see what DAY the party was. all they wrote on the invitation was the date ("July 27", not "Sunday, July 27"). who has a party on a Sunday anyway?????

Old 07-27-06, 11:04 AM
what the heck is AYSO???

Old 07-27-06, 11:18 AM
American Youth Soccer Organization

Old 07-27-06, 11:26 AM
Originally Posted by mattison
That's not too bad. When I was 12 a friend and I signed up for the drill team. We had no idea what it was. Since it was called "drill team" it sounded kind of macho. We felt pretty stupid the 1st night.
Hahahahahaha....! So then...???

Old 07-27-06, 11:28 AM
well.......he said they felt pretty stupid the FIRST night.......i imagine they relaxed a bit the 2nd night, and really found their groove thang by the 3rd......

Old 07-27-06, 11:33 AM
Originally Posted by Annette
i think this is similar:

recently, i ruined a whole afternoon for myself & 4 yo daughter. we could've had a lovely Saturday with the family playing in the pool, but i got her & i out so i'd have plenty of time to shower & get myself & her ready for a 3:00 birthday party she'd been invited to. got us both all dolled up & drove to the house clear across town. i thought it was strange that there weren't any signs or balloons anywhere along the way, and really strange that there were only a couple of cars in the driveway. walked up & rang the doorbell.....waited....waited.....started to think no one was home. then finally, an older lady answered the door, with no makeup on & a confused look on her face (found out later it was the birthday girl's grandmother). i said we were there for the party, and she said, sorry, but it's TOMORROW!!!!!

so not only was that afternoon shot, but we had to repeat the whole process over the next day! grrrrr...... i guess i never even looked at the calendar to see what DAY the party was. all they wrote on the invitation was the date ("July 27", not "Sunday, July 27"). who has a party on a Sunday anyway?????
Oooooooooooooooooooh! Yeouch!!!! Schhhhhhhmack!

Old 07-27-06, 12:15 PM
We quit.

Old 07-27-06, 12:19 PM
We quit.
um......that would imply that they allowed you to JOIN...

just to be sure....the drill team is the dancing girls group, right???

Old 07-27-06, 12:24 PM
Have you seen the movie "She's the Man"? Maybe they were pulling something like that and couldn't handle it.

Old 07-27-06, 04:47 PM
Group Moderator
We quit.
Couldn't hack it, huh mattison?

Old 07-27-06, 09:53 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I do not look 12 yrs old!!!!
Are you sure

Last edited by lexmarks567; 07-28-06 at 04:37 AM.
Old 07-28-06, 04:49 AM
Oh they were going to let us join alright. but in that day and time it wasn't cool to be in that sort of club.

Old 07-28-06, 09:00 AM
Oh they were going to let us join alright. but in that day and time it wasn't cool to be in that sort of club.
And...in this day and time...it IS cool??? (I'm not saying it's not ok....I'm just wondering if it IS "cool"?) No, seriously.

Old 07-28-06, 09:01 AM
Originally Posted by lexmarks567
Are you sure
ok...well, I could probably pass for being under 18 b/c I still get carded for cigs and a lot of people (like my son's teachers or wherever I go) ask me if he's my brother. Could be b/c I'm short too or b/c my son's almost as tall as I am. Dunno.

Old 07-28-06, 09:57 AM
Originally Posted by DIYaddict
I still get carded for cigs

EXCUSE ME?!?!

Old 07-28-06, 10:12 AM
Originally Posted by Annette
EXCUSE ME?!?!
la la la la la...what?
sorry... but I do smoke. Shhhhhhhhhhh...

Old 07-28-06, 10:19 AM
ew. i can't tell you how disappointed i am.....

Old 07-28-06, 10:24 AM
sorry... but I do smoke.
Must be tough to be a smoker in PC California.

Why not quit smoking - think of what you could do with the money not to mention what it would do for your health. I shudder every time I see some senior citizen struggling along carrying their oxygen bottle.

Old 07-28-06, 10:38 AM
Originally Posted by Wayne Mitchell
not to mention what it would do for your health.
and your SON'S!

Old 07-28-06, 10:43 AM
I know, I know...

1st of all...I don't smoke near my son or in the house so my son is safe (except...I know...bad influence). For the sake of my son's safety...I have to smoke...can you imagine when I get PMS??? lol...I know...it's not a laughing matter.

I'm soooooo sorry! (Sorry to be a big disappointment Annette)

My BEST explanation and excuse is I'm going to die of cancer b/c it's in my jeans...(genes ) so it doesn't matter. I've tried the patch and it's too strong for me. I've tried the gum, but my jaws hurt after so long. Hypno does not work...I don't know what else there really is. Obviously, no easy solution...so I gave up.

Old 07-28-06, 12:39 PM
Habits are hard to kick. I just wish I had one so I could save money by breaking it

Twenty five years ago my aunt and uncle were so insulted by their friends who made them smoke in the garage that they quit being friends with them.

My dad wanted to ride in my brand new 1980 Honda accord but I wouldn't let him smoke in it so he wouldn't go for a ride or talk to me for months.

Now in my province, you can't smoke anywhere in public AT ALL. You can't even have smoking rooms in bars.

Now my aunt and uncle will only smoke in their garage. They won't smoke in their own house.

Now my dad would never smoke near a non smoker

I'm thinking within 25 years, there won't be anyone taking up smoking.

Old 07-28-06, 01:30 PM
You're absolutely right. The culture is changing. We went to an outdoor concert last night and my wife remarked that there were only two people smoking. Ten years ago, probably half of the 400 people there would have been lighting up.

DIYaddict - I smoked 2 1/2 packs a day for nearly 30 years (I'll probably pay for that sometime in the future). I tried all the stuff you tried - I couldn't quit. One day I just decided that I was in charge of my life and I quit. Cold turkey. The first week really sucked. I was a miserable SOB to be around. The next couple of weeks were a little easier. After 3 weeks I knew I was free. That was 15 years ago and I've never looked back. I am healthier, I smell better, food tastes better and I have a little more money in my pocket.

Old 07-28-06, 01:42 PM
I smoke too but one pack could last me a couple of months.I only smoke when bowling (1 cig per game) and at bus stops when waiting for the bus.Or when Im at a fair.So one pack lasts me along time and Im not picky about the brand I smoke.

Old 07-28-06, 01:47 PM
That's really good Lex. You should quit while you're at it even though you barely smoke! I wish I was in your position. I never hand anyone a cig if they don't really smoke. I really regret taking my first drag.

I was offered twice to quit by 1st getting pregnant and then getting in a car accident and had to be in the hospital for 2 weeks and they wouldn't let me out (nor smoke in there for that matter)...I still didn't learn. Had my son and went back to smoking...got out of the hospital and had to have a drag... it's so sad. They should make it illegal to buy cigs...

Old 07-28-06, 02:02 PM
in another thread, you said you live for your son. you quit smoking for him once, before he was born, now do it again for him, when it counts even more, so you can stop being a bad influence on him (your words). you can do it. there's nothing more pathetic than smelling smoke on a kid. and even though you don't smoke "around him", i'm sure you both reek.

QUIT! while you're young & haven't been doing it for too long. you can do it! you know you can because you HAVE....TWICE!!!!

just STOP.

Old 07-28-06, 03:27 PM
Group Moderator
You might also consider that there are lesser things than death that can result and some of them are painful beyond words.

I seem to recall that cold turkey has the best success rate.

Old 07-28-06, 07:31 PM
OH FYI my parents don't know that I smoke.............yet. DON"T YOU TELL THEM!!

Originally Posted by DIYaddict
That's really good Lex. You should quit while you're at it even though you barely smoke! I wish I was in your position. I never hand anyone a cig if they don't really smoke. I really regret taking my first drag.

I was offered twice to quit by 1st getting pregnant and then getting in a car accident and had to be in the hospital for 2 weeks and they wouldn't let me out (nor smoke in there for that matter)...I still didn't learn. Had my son and went back to smoking...got out of the hospital and had to have a drag... it's so sad. They should make it illegal to buy cigs...

Old 07-28-06, 11:16 PM
tae
I smoke. I will quit when/if i'm ready. Someone griping at me only causes resentment. Wont make me quit sooner. My grandfather died of lung cancer.never smoked.Mom smoked 50 years and still kickin at 75. I have known lots of old smokers, but no old drinkers.

Old 07-29-06, 01:05 AM
Originally Posted by Wayne Mitchell
I shudder every time I see some senior citizen struggling along carrying their oxygen bottle.
And that still don't stop them. They just turn off the oxygen and light up.Also having a hole in you throat don't stop them either.They just put the cig up to the hole and smoke that way.

Old 07-29-06, 05:14 AM
Not likely you will see cigarettes banned/illegal. Too many tax dollars to be made. When I lived in Florida and the non-smoking laws took effect, the Governor had to be a little embarrassed when it was noted the State Retirement funds had stocks in the tobacco industry. If it DID happen (smoking made illegal) it will be interesting to see what taxes get raised to take the cigarette taxes place.