Gas-saving cars are not the answer...

Old 07-27-06, 03:12 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Gas-saving cars are not the answer...

...unfortunately. You don't hear this talked about. At least *I* haven't heard this talked about; that if we increase our fleet mileage significantly, the foreign oil markets are going to keep raising prices so they can keep earning what they always have been earning per year...duh. Can't we figure that out?????

We have to get off this foreign oil stuff. That is all there is to it. We better start to learn to liquify coal or something.

I used to drive a gas hog that got 9-12.5 mpg, depending if winter or summer, when the gas was about $1.50 a gallon. So what did I do? I thought I got smart, like other people and bought a much more fuel efficient car. Guess what? With the current gas prices, my little 4 banger is costing me the same thing as what my 6000 pound gas hog was costing me!!!!!

I know...I know (what you are thinking). If I DIDN'T get the gas saving car, I would be more hurting than what I am now. True. But my point is, we are investing in fuel saving cars in hopes of beating the system. Well, we will never do it, as long as we are chained to the foreign oil markets. We could have vehicles getting 80 mpg. But as soon as we did, these markets would bump up their price per barrel to something like 3-4 times what it is now...duh. Like I said...those markets are going to keep getting what they have been getting in yearly income. You think they are going to sit idle and go, "Drats...we are selling less oil now and making less money!!" ?? I don't think so. So their answer will be to sell less oil yet make the same amount of money...duh.

Our ventures into ethanol is an example as to why our gas prices are higher now. If 10% of the gas volume is ethanol, that means that is 10% less gas/oil from the foreign markets, and they see this, so they jack up the cost per barrel...duh.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-28-06, 06:17 AM
There is no single "answer"

And actually it depends on what you think the "question" is.

If the problem is just your individual finances. At least better mileage makes your situation "manageable".

If the problem is that our money is keeping corrupt dictators in power, which then pi##es off their young men who can't find jobs. Then buying less oil from them might make them less able to oppress their own folks.

If the problem is that the USA IS SO STUPID THAT WE INSIST ON PAYING FOR BOTH SIDES OF THE "WAR ON TERROR". Then better mileage could help. Right now we're paying for our military through our tax revenue and we're funding their fighters buy sending the cost of goods to the middle east. This is complete insanity.

Right now there is about a $30-$35/bbl "premium" built into the price of oil. Some is speculators, some is "conflict" induced, some is caused by the fact that 3 years ago a bunch of idiots invaded one of the worlds largest oil producers and reduced their output to ZERO.

We're not paying enough "tax" on a gallon of gas anyway. Right now the cost of producing gasoline is spread across the entire federal tax revenue stream. What if it was taxed directly on what it takes to actually get it here? How much do you think it costs to sail those ships and fly those planes and pay for the soldiers, sailors, airmen and marines that we maintain strictly for the protection of our oil supply and pipeline?

In the early '90s the average fleet economy had improved so much since the early '70s, that if we had continued to increase at the same rate over the next 17 years, we probably wouldn't be importing ANY middle east oil today! What happened? We we didn't get dumber about the technology of improving our cars. We (lots of us anyway) decided we're not "safe" unless we're driving a Suburban, Hummer, Excursion or something similar!

We can't keep going at the present rate. As more of the "third world" modernizes there is going to be more demand for a limited resource. No more oil is being produced, well a little bit, but it takes millions of years (some idiots think 3 days), so it won't be here in our lifetimes. Ethanol takes more than a gallon of gas to produce a gallon of ethanol and it will REDUCE YOUR CAR'S GAS MILEAGE BY ABOUT 20%, that's not just me saying the mileage statistic, the car companies and the EPA back that up.

The earth may be able to support 4 billion humans, but not if they all want to live the lifestyle of the "western, modern" world.
I don't think it can.

end of rant

frank

Old 07-28-06, 06:35 AM
At least *I* haven't heard this talked about; that if we increase our fleet mileage significantly, the foreign oil markets are going to keep raising prices so they can keep earning what they always have been earning per year...duh. Can't we figure that out?????
Not the way it works. If demand goes down, price will go down. If the price goes down enough to significantly impact the oil producers profit, they will cut back on production.

Slumlord, Iraq's oil production is not zero although it is less than pre war levels. If you wanna' rant get your facts straight.

Old 07-28-06, 08:12 AM
Group Moderator
We really don't get that much of our gas from the middle east. If we conserved enough, we wouldn't need any of their oil and they would hae to drop the price. The majority of the oil we use comes from domesitic production or is purchased from Canada.

Old 07-28-06, 08:51 AM
Mexico and Venezuela are also major exporters to the US. The current "crisis" is drivien by speculators. I believe their intent is to drive up oil prices until they see a decrease in demand. We ain't there yet.
My monthly gas cost has gone up about $40. That's one less night at the movies, or one less lunch out. While that sucks, it isn't going to break my bank. I think that most consumers are feeling the same. The scary part will come when gas price increases start driving inflation.

Old 07-28-06, 02:00 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Gas is different though from other supply and demand products. We HAVE to have gas. (Just like we HAVE to have medical insurance. And look how those rates keep skyrocketing with no end in site.) There is a CERTAIN amount of demand built in...for some people. SOME may take a bus, or bike, or moped. But most will continue to do as they do and will not buy other stuff. That is me. I have to have my vehicle for work and the 20 mile commute. If it goes to $6 a gallon, I have to have it, and do the same type of driving. I just will no longer eat out or buy as many new pairs of underwear.

IF there are enough world players on the open oil market that are competing with each other, as opposed to colluding...then I agree that the forces of supply and demand will take effect. But I fear there is a form of collusion going on, and if that is the case...if they know we have to have gas... even if the demand is down due to other forms of fuel being used..yet they know we HAVE to have the remainder as gas...they will raise the cost, rather than decrease it as you would suspect.

But I could be wrong here. I am a conspiracy theorist at heart, and I can really get hung up on certain issues because of that.