Safe to store gas

Old 08-03-06, 12:26 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Safe to store gas

How safe is it to store 3 gallons of gas in a un-atached garage.
Should I store it outside in the sun or along side the garage where its shady.I have a fan in the window to blow out the hot air + a ceailing fan to blow the hot air down so the fan can blow it out the window.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-03-06, 05:16 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I wouldn't store gas in the hot sun! Genarally there is no problem with storing gas [in a sealed container] inside providing there are no sources of ignition - like a gas hot water heater or any other device that could cause gas fumes to ignite.

Old 08-03-06, 06:09 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I did not mean hot sun I know not to leave it in direct sun with the vents closed.Just the garage gets very hot thats why I installed a old metal box fan in the window to make sure the gas cans don't over heat.. I had a make shift attic fan but a curtan got caught in the blades jamming the motor causing it to over heat a burnup.No fire (lucky there).

Old 08-03-06, 08:33 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I would be more concerned with sparks from the brushes in the old fan then just leaving the window open. I doubt that the garage gets hot enough to be a problem. My garage has gotten to nearly 100 degrees lately and hasn't bothered the gas cans or various gas powered items in the garage.

Old 08-03-06, 09:54 AM
I remember reading somewhere that gas fumes are much more dangerous in cooler weather than when it's really hot. It seems that the fumes are more likely to dissipate when it's hot and to hang around at ground level when it's cool.

Search this Thread