Wat los

Old 08-03-06, 03:52 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Wat los

That was not a typo. That is what we should be doing; creating new spelling out of our language, to save ink and time.

There is a thread below this one called "weight loss". So let's shorten it to 'wat los'. But if some of you think 'wat' should mean 'what'...not necessarily. The word 'what' would be spelled 'wut'. And the word 'spelled' could be spelled as 'speld'.

So wut do u think of this plan?

This is 2006. We don't have to stick with the same spelling for the next thousand years, do we? Our goals in life shoud be to improve the existing...and this would be an improvement.

Some of you here may suggest other words and perhaps compose an interesting post showing how you reduced the number of letters in your post.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-03-06, 05:35 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Dum Dum Dum

Old 08-03-06, 05:52 PM
Not into change, eh?

Think of how the orientals went the route of the symbols they draw as opposed to using an alphabet.

Obviously, the world is full of new ideas all the time where some ideas catch on, while others don't.

I never could figure out though, with the English language, why they didn't better make all the words as phonetic as possible, and as short as possible. And how it is that there are so many words that are spelled the same, and/or sound the same, that mean different things.

Old 08-03-06, 06:19 PM
U R 2 much. That work 4 U.

Old 08-03-06, 06:24 PM
Daveboy, don't worry. There is whole new generation of msn chat people entering the work force that will transfer their language into the work force. I'm 50 and I was using lots of chat lingo in my emails and text msgs to my customers and they were responding in same. Many of my customers were execs.

It will evolve and I completly agree with you. Why not evolve if its better?

Old 08-03-06, 09:45 PM
One universal vowel; three universal constants. I like it... coalescence of the 250 US dialects and thousands more throughout the world into a system of four symbols.

Gods plan was flawed. This is an improvement. Especially since it's 2006 and all. To ensure the learning curve is fair to everyone may I suggest Ebonics as the basis. Yo!

Be careful about what you wish for.

Old 08-03-06, 10:53 PM
So think would be tink and cause would be cuz and this would be dis what do U tink of dat

Old 08-04-06, 04:00 AM
Kids already make use of that type of grammar when they text. It drives me nuts.

Old 08-04-06, 06:47 AM
Dave, you should go learn to write chinese.

IMO, if we did that it'd be like going back to school and then making new dictionaries and all. I'm not ready for a change or going back to school. I did my dues. I'm having a hard time spelling words as it is.

Old 08-04-06, 08:25 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Say wat? I do be chg'n. Chg'd dumb into Dum. Y 4 U B pik'n on me?

Old 08-04-06, 02:47 PM
tae
People have tried to change spelling for a very long time.

Why don't we just spell words the way they sound?

Following a spelling system (even ours in which many words have spelling variants) allows us to communicate better. There are billions of English speakers and the English language is estimated to have at least a million words. Choosing to spell words the way they sound would create an infinite number of variants, as we each hear sounds slightly differently. Kindergartners use what they know about letters and sounds to write messages using invented spelling, or spelling words by the way they sound. By learning to stretch out the words to help them hear individual sounds, kindergartners can label a picture. Your child may write "br" for "bear" or "i mad mi bd" for "I made my bed." Using invented spelling actually helps children practice the letter-sound relationships they need for reading. In this very early stage of spelling, the child attempts to communicate a message but the child may be the only one who can decipher the message. That right there is the answer to this question - that our ability to communicate would be greatly impaired if we did not have a spelling system for our English vocabulary.

An interesting article:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_spelling_reform

A number of respected and influential people have been supporters of spelling reform.

* Noah Webster, author of the first important American dictionary, believed that Americans should adopt simpler spellings where available and recommended it in his 1806 dictionary.
* President Theodore Roosevelt commissioned a committee to research and recommend simpler spellings and tried to require the U.S. government to adopt them.
* Andrew Carnegie, famous philanthropist, donated to spelling reform societies both sides of the Atlantic.
* Melvil Dui, inventor of the Dewey Decimal System, wrote published works in simplified spellings and even simplified his own name from Melville to Melvil.
* James Pitman, a publisher and British Member of Parliament, invented the Initial Teaching Alphabet.
* George Bernard Shaw, the respected playwright, willed part of his estate to fund the creation of a new alphabet now called the "Shavian alphabet."
* Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, one-time president of the London-based Simplified Spelling Society. Stated that spelling reform should start outside of the UK.

Old 08-04-06, 04:56 PM
Originally Posted by mattison
Kids already make use of that type of grammar when they text. It drives me nuts.
I must be a kid. *I* now am doing it.

But there is a useful purpose to this: Texts cost me 10 cents per...and the 'per' is for not all that many characters. Cleverly reduce the characters by saying the same thing in abbreviated form and you are $ ahead.

Old 08-04-06, 04:58 PM
Do you know that I truly WAS dum, dum, dum last night when I read the reply of the same? I was driving home shaking my head, wondering why poster "goldstar" thinks this is dumb...when it hit me that he spelled dumb the way I have in mind! Duhhhhhh.

Old 08-06-06, 02:00 PM
Um....No. I'm already being told to learn Spanish (in a round about way). I can't handle trying to learn improper English.

Old 08-07-06, 08:49 AM
Originally Posted by DaVeBoy
Our goals in life shoud be to improve the existing...and this would be an improvement.

our goal should be to teach children (and adults who failed to learn it the first time around) PROPER English and punctuation and see to it that they learn it. reading & writing are important. our language shouldn't be simplified or changed just because people don't want to take the time and/or go to the effort to learn it, or "just don't get it."

if you want to use abbreviations & such for text messages & emails, etc., because it's quicker or cheaper, i think that's fine. but i don't see anyone officially changing the English language anytime soon!

Old 08-07-06, 09:51 AM
Group Moderator
Whether you like the structure of the English language is irrelevant. There are rules in place and they should be followed. It is awful to witness the decline of the written language in this country. Those who think the system should be changed should pursue making that happen. In the mean time, all should endeavor to write (and speak) as well as possible. Nothing makes me think little of a person's intelligence more quickly than hearing them abuse the English language when they talk or seeing it when they write.

Old 08-07-06, 09:59 AM
i agree. generally speaking, i think i can get a pretty quick picture of someone's education when i see the way they write. but what about highly educated people who, despite college degrees & executive corporate status, can't write or spell worth a darn? i've never been able to figure that out. do they just not care? are spelling & grammar just "not their thing?" do they just not possess an attention to detail? or is it not manly to be literate? i find there does seem to be more men who can't write. clearly, they don't realize that they look like morons on paper!!! thank goodness for secretaries!

Old 08-07-06, 10:23 AM
Group Moderator
I believe there to be two reasons for poor speech and writing. The first is inability and the second is apathy. I believe the latter is growing at a faster rate than the former (though neither should theoretically be growing at all). Many people in our society are unwilling to take responsibility for themselves and their actions and this is a major contributor to many of the problems our society faces, not just this issue of speaking and writing correctly.

Old 08-08-06, 12:39 AM
Originally Posted by Annette
i agree. generally speaking, i think i can get a pretty quick picture of someone's education when i see the way they write. but what about highly educated people who, despite college degrees & executive corporate status, can't write or spell worth a darn? i've never been able to figure that out. do they just not care? are spelling & grammar just "not their thing?" do they just not possess an attention to detail? or is it not manly to be literate? i find there does seem to be more men who can't write. clearly, they don't realize that they look like morons on paper!!! thank goodness for secretaries!
I sit with the apathy group (I use grammer and spell check extensivley (sorry...more apathy) when I communicate formally).

I believe in colloquial writing but keep it close to correct!

How do you get a degree when you confuse "there and their" or "where and wear" or "in and inn" or "to and too" or ....... butt so many people due.

.........evolution is normal........we evolved from Shakespeare and people were fighting that progression. Civilization as we know (no) it is not a finished product (hopefully)! I'm happy to see the world change!

Old 09-18-06, 01:19 PM
Question

Originally Posted by DaVeBoy
That was not a typo. That is what we should be doing; creating new spelling out of our language, to save ink and time.

There is a thread below this one called "weight loss". So let's shorten it to 'wat los'. But if some of you think 'wat' should mean 'what'...not necessarily. The word 'what' would be spelled 'wut'. And the word 'spelled' could be spelled as 'speld'.

So wut do u think of this plan?

This is 2006. We don't have to stick with the same spelling for the next thousand years, do we? Our goals in life shoud be to improve the existing...and this would be an improvement.

Some of you here may suggest other words and perhaps compose an interesting post showing how you reduced the number of letters in your post.
Thanks for reminding me,,,,

I forgot to check the ink level in my Monitor...