Painting house numbers on curb

Old 08-04-06, 07:22 PM

I was left with a notice on my door about people who paint the house numbers on the curb. They are licensed by my city to do the work I guess. Is this really true? They basically paint the numbers on the curb and then ask for donations but it's not required.

Anyway, so this small cute boy came to my door asking for donations and I forgot about it so in front of him I had to go all the way to my curb to make sure it was painted and his family was out there too (I'm guessing mom and dad) asking my neighbors for donations. Since the little boy was really cute and polite I gave him some money. He even told me it was tax deductible. Doesn't matter b/c all I had was $12. How sad.

After that I went back to the notice and it said the proceeds help a non profit organization to help needy families.

Do you guys have this? It's real right? Just wondering.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-04-06, 07:39 PM
They came around our neighborhood once. I told the little brat if he didn't get out of my yard I'd call the cops.

Just kidding. $10 bucks and it was done.

Old 08-04-06, 08:32 PM

It is a great idea, no matter how it is administered!!!

I worked the Katrina disaster in Mississippi and Louisana looking for 400 to 600 homes (just my assignments) to verify damage for people who had damage and were trying to get low interest loans for repairs (not gifts).

Often, there was nothing left but the curb (unless it was a concrete block home). It made the loss verification much faster and more reliable.

Those that tried to put up a piece of plywood with an address had to worry about the thieves that could hang up their application for a month or two (they could not get back to replace the wood sign) if it was stolen.

The luckier ones were those that had something left that they could spray paint an address on.

The same idea works for tornadoes and fires.

It may not help in Minnesota in the winter.

Dick

Old 08-04-06, 10:01 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
We had our curb painted for $10 but was done by the city.A city worker or contractor hired by the city did the job and got the money.They do it every 3 years or so.

Last edited by lexmarks567; 08-05-06 at 02:50 AM.
Old 08-05-06, 05:00 AM
I went back to the notice and it said the proceeds help a non profit organization to help needy families.
what percent goes to the needy ?

my guess would be less then .10 of every dollar actully sees it way to needy familys if that .

they come around here every few years and I see very few peaple having it done

Old 08-05-06, 05:23 AM
The kid and his parents were probably the needy family.

Old 08-05-06, 05:32 AM
Its real here in Warren MI. I think its done by the city.They leave a note on your door you fill it out and tape it back on the door.They come take the note.You do this so they know whos getting it done.Heres what it looks like here.You also have the option of putting your phone number on it but we passed on that.

Old 08-05-06, 05:36 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
We don't have any curbs out in the county but the local volunteer fire dept sells florescent signs with your address # on them. The money is used to support the fire dept. But $25 is a little steep for me.

Old 08-05-06, 11:15 AM
hmmm..

this non-profit organization actually has a phone number for free marriage counseling...I'd call but I'm not married so that wouldn't help. They have free counseling for depression, addictions, anger, fear and loneliness...I even got a name and number for contact. I think I'll keep in case I might need it. Hopefully I won't.

Well..someone has to paint the curb and it's pretty nice anyway. I mean you get the black numberal on a reflective white background...ooooh la la

Oh..by the way the organization is called Shiloh. What's Shiloh?

Old 08-05-06, 11:17 AM
Lex...I know where you live now...

Originally Posted by lexmarks567

Old 08-05-06, 12:59 PM
Originally Posted by DIYaddict
Lex...I know where you live now...
Hmm but you don't know what street.Besides your to shy to meet people in person.

Last edited by lexmarks567; 08-06-06 at 07:12 AM.
Old 08-06-06, 08:31 AM
We don't have that here in Canada.

But I think it's a great idea...I find it frustrating when you're invited to a house you've never been to, especially if its in the middle of the night and the house you're looking for doesn't have a porchlight, or even numbers on their house.

Old 08-07-06, 08:33 AM
Originally Posted by Candygirl
We don't have that here in Canada.

But I think it's a great idea...I find it frustrating when you're invited to a house you've never been to, especially if its in the middle of the night and the house you're looking for doesn't have a porchlight, or even numbers on their house.

if you've been invited to a house you've never been to before, in the middle of the night, and you get there & there's no light on........i'd turn around & high-tail it home!!!!

then again, with no house numbers, how would you know which house it is???

all i know is, when i call 911 (or the pizza guy), i want them to be able to find MY house!!!

Last edited by Annette; 08-07-06 at 10:12 AM.
Old 08-07-06, 10:22 AM
Group Moderator
Originally Posted by Annette
all i know is, when i call 911 (or the pizza guy), i want them to be able to find MY house!!!
Also The Tow Guy [not to mention the door-to-door shoe salesmen!]. Drives me crazy hunting an address and half the houses have no numbers on the mailbox and no visible numbers on the house; can't imagine what ambulance drivers do when it's life & death.

Old 08-07-06, 10:36 AM
Originally Posted by the_tow_guy
Also The Tow Guy [not to mention the door-to-door shoe salesmen!].
ha! actually, the door to door guy will get to everyone eventually, but it's the UPS/USPS/FedEx guys who REALLY need to be able to find me!!! (i don't know WHAT i did before online shopping!!! )

Old 08-07-06, 10:36 AM
What about the UPS guy with your shoes you got online

Old 08-07-06, 10:37 AM
oops! beat you to that one!!

Old 08-07-06, 10:38 AM
(i don't know WHAT i did before online shopping!!! )
Go to each shoe store in person and try on shoes and waste gas.

Old 08-07-06, 10:40 AM
Originally Posted by lexmarks567
Go to each shoe store in person and try on shoes and waste gas.
right. thanks for clearing that up, lex.....

now get your dictionary out & look up "rhetorical question"...........

Old 08-07-06, 10:42 AM
hey gas is expensive enough and money is hard to come buy.Why waste it on gas when you can get more shoes or pizza.

Old 08-07-06, 10:46 AM
now get your dictionary out & look up "rhetorical question"...........
Thats DIYs job to look things up in the dictionary.While your at it DIY look up the word rhetorical

Old 08-07-06, 10:57 AM
rhetorical: the art of speaking or writing effectively

Wow...I got a new job!

Old 08-07-06, 11:05 AM
sorry.......you're fired! (hey Lex: notice it's YOU'RE, not YOUR, as in "you are")

RHETORICAL QUESTION: A question to which no answer is expected, often used for rhetorical effect.

i give up.

Old 08-07-06, 11:09 AM
Group Moderator
My house was new when I moved into it. Before I even had a mailbox up, the postal carrier used to park in the driveway and ring the bell with the mail. I got a mailbox up in a couple weeks with the street number on it, thinking that was good enough. I got a letter from the city a few months later stating that I would be fined if I didn't get the number on the house itself. I don't care if they pay me $10, I don't want the number on the curb. When I order pizza, I turn on the outside lights. By the way, I had the tow guy out a few weeks ago for my wife's car - I pushed the car into the street so it would be obvious. They parked behind it and came up and rang the bell.

Old 08-07-06, 11:10 AM
We need a new forum just for "speelling"

Old 08-07-06, 11:12 AM
Technically, I'm not incorrect...but instead of being fired...I quit...this will not look good on my resume.

My dictionary is no good. Annette...I need your brain! Please copy and paste something so I can download it.

Old 08-07-06, 11:12 AM
Group Moderator
RHETORICAL QUESTION: A question to which no answer is expected, often used for rhetorical effect.
I was always taught that to use a word in its own definition was improper.

Rhetorical: concerned primarily with style or effect.

Old 08-07-06, 11:17 AM
Originally Posted by mitch17
By the way, I had the tow guy out a few weeks ago for my wife's car
How nice of the_tow_guy...but he's all the way in Florida?

One should be fined for no house #...but in your case, brand new house...don't they put those things on there? Or...you have to DIY?

Old 08-07-06, 12:03 PM
I agree they need house numbers on house's. I got a call to do some guys tree the house had no number but the tree gave the house away.since the house was 19084 I just looked at the house in front of it 19085.went back twice though just to make sure I had the right house.There was no number to be found house or curb or anywere someone might put a number.

Old 08-07-06, 12:04 PM
DIYaddict How nice of the_tow_guy...but he's all the way in Florida?
That would be one VERY expensive tow bill.

Old 08-07-06, 12:16 PM
Originally Posted by mitch17
I was always taught that to use a word in its own definition was improper.
yeah, well then, you might want to share that with the folks over there at American Heritage!

actually, what i copied & pasted was the definition of "rhetorical question", so i guess they're assuming you've already looked up "rhetorical" by itself.

Old 08-07-06, 02:44 PM
Group Moderator
yeah, well then, you might want to share that with the folks over there at American Heritage!

actually, what i copied & pasted was the definition of "rhetorical question", so i guess they're assuming you've already looked up "rhetorical" by itself.
That seems reasonable. The second definition for rhetorical used the word rhetoric in it. I suppose you could always go look that word up as well.

Old 08-07-06, 02:49 PM
Group Moderator
I had the tow guy out, not The Tow Guy. This tow guy is only four blocks away and the bill was $25.

Old 08-08-06, 05:08 AM
Group Moderator
ha! actually, the door to door guy will get to everyone eventually
Good point; they would only care about the address after the sale.

If it's a shoe delivery for Annette, they wouldn't NEED the address.

$25 for a tow? You got a bargain; I can't start my truck and back out of the driveway for $25.

Here's one for you, lex. Quite a while back I went out to a job with an address like 408 Lemon Drive or some such. Customer was supposed to be there. Checked the map and the road ran two directions off a more major street [meaning you've got a 50-50 chance of turning the right way unless you remember how the numbers run]. I turned right and followed the numbers to the address. Nobody home. Waited about 15 minutes. Partner called me saying the customer is still waiting where am I. I'm at 408 Lemon Dr. Huh? Come to find out that if you turn the OTHER way and drive a couple of blocks there is ANOTHER 408 Lemon Drive. Not North & South or East & West; it's just a street where the numbering is TOTALLY screwed up due to some countywide renumbering a couple of decades ago. Would hate to have been driving a fire truck. Have to remember to cruise that area soon to see if it's been corrected.

Old 08-08-06, 05:10 AM
Group Moderator
Originally Posted by DIYaddict
How nice of the_tow_guy...but he's all the way in Florida?
I've got family in Wisconsin, so I was in the neighborhood.....