To the POINT

Old 08-18-06, 09:23 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
To the POINT

Lets PLEASE start with the question,
Then we can go on with A Breif story of the history and application.

The information is very helpfull, But most times the story is not needed.
A BREIF synopsys of what you have and what you want most times will do. If more info is needed we most likely will ask.

Some of these posts seem to go on for HALF the Night and most of the day BEFORE we know what the question is!!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-18-06, 11:47 PM
Question

Wouldn't a brief story be much better than a breif story? I don't know what a breif story might entail.

Old 08-19-06, 04:09 AM
I think, for the most part, the OP's, especially new ones, are overwhelmed by the theory of electricity. I'm like you, Lee, the shorter, the sweeter, but they are anxious to get that light working "right now", and want to cram all the info they can in one post. Usually one question from us will clear it all up, when all they really wanted to know is how to wire a 3 way switch. But, I guess we have to realize we do this every day blindfolded, and they have never seen the inside of a switch box, and pull all the wires loose anyway.

Old 08-19-06, 12:48 PM
Chandler, Understood!
But I don't think any of us need to know that we bought it from Aunt Mildred because my brothers sister inlaws cousin didn't want it.
It also sits 20 yards from the lake ETC.;

Most definately the more info the BETTER. Just PERTANANT INFO. Thats all I ask. Understood that this can be subjective.
Please Focus.

Old 08-19-06, 05:43 PM
I agree. Get to the point first.

BUT, I don't want to hear no story about nobody's briefs...

Old 08-19-06, 06:37 PM
And put something useful in the tile. "help me" is not useful. "3way switch problem" is useful.

Old 08-19-06, 08:20 PM
To the POINT

How about where the problem/possible solution exists -

Country - common practices and needs
State - codes and standards
Climate - local conditions (weathering, construction conditions, insulation).

Dick

Old 08-20-06, 04:34 AM
The ones I love are where they want to sue the Contractor. Give you all the bad stuff that happened and then 10 posts later, they admit that this is what they signed a contract to do and also that they didn't want to get permits because it would raise their taxes.
P.S. Mods are supposed to change titles such as "Help" to give an idea of what the poster needs info on. Changing a Title has to be done through Thread Tools and the edit function in the dropdown.

Last edited by majakdragon; 08-20-06 at 05:51 AM.
Old 08-20-06, 02:37 PM
Thanks folks, I felt so alone.
Give me a break on the typo. I'm sensitive don't ya know!!!!

Old 08-21-06, 10:26 AM
It seems to me that one of the top questions asked by mods are "Where are you located?". I would think that it would be useful to everyone if that was a requirement of membership. At least a persons country/state or province should be provided and posted with each question.

Old 08-21-06, 10:57 AM
Come on! Give me a chance! I'm sorry for the looooooooooong ol' post!

I think a lot of times, new members don't see (or don't bother to read) any of the sticky's or rules. EVENTUALLY, they will learn please don't be harsh...give 'em a chance. I THINK I was like that once...going on and on and on and on... (like now) ha ha..but I finally caught on.

Hey! Some reply posts go on and on and on and on and sometimes they don't even get to the point either, right?

Old 08-21-06, 02:35 PM
if the posters don't post enough, you'd complain that you're having to play 20 Questions to get the pertinent info out of them. they post too much, you're complaining they talk too much! good grief!

Last edited by majakdragon; 08-21-06 at 03:15 PM.
Old 08-21-06, 02:49 PM
Nice as it would be I think a lot of posters simply don't understand the situation enough to explain it properly. So in order to be helpful it is sometimes necessary to weed through a lot of unnecessary text. Got to have a little patience though mine has gotten short here a couple times I'll admit. I still try to drop in now and then though I am a bit busy with my own projects these days.

Old 08-21-06, 04:49 PM
nap
Originally Posted by DIYaddict

Hey! Some reply posts go on and on and on and on and sometimes they don't even get to the point either, right?
Hey! are you refering to me?

I may be the "King of Verbosity" but you don't have to point it out. That is just plain mean!!!

just kidding with ya.

Old 08-21-06, 05:07 PM
Group Moderator
I think the "search" feature should be in massive, big, bold print at the top of every page... along with a polite note saying "Almost every question has been asked & answered a dozen times already, for a quick answer to your question do a search."

Old 08-21-06, 05:53 PM
nap
Sure they could do that....................but what would I do with all my spare time if nobody asked anything??? Huh?? are you going to find me a new hobby?

Although extremely long posts are difficult to read and get the gist of the question sometimes, I enjoy many of the stories.

The stories also help anybody here to "judge" the abilities of the OP and decide upon how much help or, even sometimes, deterence an OP requires when attempting to undertake a DIY project.

Old 08-21-06, 06:00 PM
Hey....we're in the chats and whine section so I like to "chat" a bit

But I have been using on-line support for so long that I have come to the realization that if I want an answer and not a lot of rapport.........make sure I provide all the info.

I'm a skimmer anyway so long posts don't bother me cause I've never read one all the way through.

Old 08-21-06, 07:13 PM
QUOTE BY NAP "Hey! are you refering to me?

I may be the "King of Verbosity" but you don't have to point it out. That is just plain mean!!!

just kidding with ya."END OF QUOTE

=========================

Whoops! ...ha ha...you know I was just trying to make a point. I'm right with you on the double, triple, same question threads b/c I enjoy answering over and over and over again and using the search engine myself and refer the member to that thread. Like you said...what else would I do with all MY spare time?