Railroad crossing NOISE!

Old 08-23-06, 06:03 AM
Railroad crossing NOISE!

I am so upset! Hardly any sleep last night. I am a VERY light sleeper! ALL night long the retarded raildroad crossing was going off and is still going off this morning! You know the "DING,DING, DING, DING, DING, DING..." thing that tells you a train is there? How in the world and WHY in the world would it do that this long???!!! I felt like taking a sledge hammer, walking over there and slamming it! My ears are ringing and my head hurts from hearing that annoying sound! WHO do I call to find out? Actually, who do I call to complain?! I'm really not one to complain, but come on!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-23-06, 07:55 AM
Ding, fries are done....Ding, fries are done.....

I would start by calling the city. They may be able to get it taken care of or they would be able to give you the number of the train yard.

Old 08-23-06, 08:28 AM
Group Moderator
[QUOTE=mattison]Ding, fries are done....Ding, fries are done.....[QUOTE]

Huh? I don't get this.

Old 08-23-06, 08:54 AM
It's a from a goofy video of a kid that works at a fast food joint.

Old 08-23-06, 09:36 AM
so, normally, no trains go by there during the night???

Old 08-23-06, 09:43 AM
The train goes by at night or early morning ONCE. That, I got used to and can sleep through it. I saw this morning as I drove down my street and looked down the road to my right the railroad crossing was still blocked with the train stuck or just staying there..no movement. Seems it must have been there ALL night with that darn noise going on.

Ohhh...my head hurts today. I can't focus!!!

Wait...did I explain clearly...the DINGING was going on ALL night?! NO pause...no stops...!IT was constant...never ending...forever going! It wasn't the train...it was the railroad crossing thing.

Old 08-23-06, 09:50 AM
seems like they could somehow manually turn off the signal when they're just going to be sitting there a while.....or all night long......?

if it's never happened before, i'd let it go. but if it happens again, i'd be contacting someone!

on a similar note, we've got tracks behind us, too, and i've also gotten used to the regular engine noise. the tracks don't cross a street anywhere near us though, but every once in a while, some sadistic engineer decides to blow the train whistle anyway!!! grrr..... >

Old 08-23-06, 10:43 AM
Yeah...I agree. First thing in the morning, all I want to do is complain just so I feel better about it. No sense in it as what's done is done. I feel better already just talking about it. Ok...it's out of my system, but...I'm a zombie today so you guys will have to excuse me if I sound this way.

Old 08-23-06, 10:51 AM
are there really cows in California?? (referencing "where the cows roam, CA")

Old 08-23-06, 11:20 AM
ha ha...yeah. Isn't there a commercial (which I don't know if outta staters see 'em) "Happy cows are from California"...you know, the cheese thing? Anyway, just found this

http://www.californiadairypressroom.com/

where it says "California is the nation's leading dairy state...".

Wow...ya learn something new everyday! ...I sure did.

BTW: some mornings when I go outside I can smell the manure...not very nice, but it's natural...ha ha. I've passed some cow farms or whatever ya see 'em up the hill and see some cows on the hills. Doesn't seem very California-like huh?

Last edited by DIYaddict; 08-24-06 at 06:03 AM. Reason: missed a word
Old 08-23-06, 10:40 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Talking

Quote: "...you know, the cheese thing?"......

Did someone call me?

Old 08-25-06, 08:33 PM
oh yes, can I have some cheese w/my whine please?

Mattison, were ya tryin' to annoy me more? ha ha ha...even though I was reading that the same day it was like hearing it as I was reading it. Rarrrr!

Old 08-25-06, 09:55 PM
Group Moderator
California cheese, indeed! I have a patient who delivers semis full of Wisconsin cheese to California to be relabled as California cheese.

Old 08-26-06, 07:54 AM
Railroad crossing NOISE!

Relabeling of Wisconsin cheese has become more common because of the packers' record. The sale of "Cheeseheads" is down dramatically.

Did you notice that the new cow kicking the football in the California cheese commercial even has a Swedish accent?

Dick

Old 08-26-06, 08:59 AM
Super Moderator
Talking Sorry for being off topic but about the railroad thing.

I have a friend who is a railroad enigineer in our small town who gets a large number of late night yard shifts.
He has a very hard time with the noise issue himself.
Being a small town, folks know who is on shift and he takes a fair bit of heat for noise, even at the local coffee shop.
The problem he has is that there are very specific rules about the intensity and duration on when and how he blows the horn.
It has been hinted that he go easy on the horn at night, but the company won't absolve him of any responsibility if someone claims to have not heard the signal and gets hurt, or worse.
Not sure of the situation where you are but our switch yard is fairly close to homes where it is common for people to be out late at night.
Every three or four years someone looses a race with a moving train and my buddy doesn't want it it be on his shift.

Old 08-26-06, 09:02 AM
DIYAddict,

I know I may be late in responding but here is the scoop.

The issue of the continual crossing making noise may be due to a couple of things,

1. A relay may be bad
2. A bond wire may be disconnected from the rail
3. Batteries may be faulty in bunker
4. A car or locomotive may have been sitting at a location that trips the relay to activate the lights. (I am assuming that there are no gates on this crossing).

Regardless, a signal maintainer is responsible for checking these out routinely. I know that the sound is extremely loud and can drive you nuts!!

I assume that this was resolved already but this is what my dad did for a living. This job was a 24/7 and only time off was vacations unless you shared a line with another maintainer doing 1 week on and 1 week off.

Next time it happens call the railroad, if you know the line, and talk to a dispatcher at the depot. They will inform the maintainer to get on it right away.

Old 08-26-06, 11:48 AM
Hmm...talk about cheese or trains... ha ha ha

Thanks guys for the info on who to call. I think I will get a contact # somehow just for the next time it happens. You guys are definitely not late in the game on this. This info is going to help A LOT and it give me a better understanding as to the "whys".

It's funny, those train guys...when it's really late at night the horn sound would sometimes go really loud and long, while at other times it's quite soft. Do you think they think about us that live around there? I understand all the safety issues...I don't mind it.

What are you guys talking about on the relabeling the cheese???! They do that?? That's legal? What???

I got my eye out on the cow that kicks a football..I don't think I've seen that one.

Old 08-26-06, 01:07 PM
Group Moderator
Little known dairy trivia - It used to be illegal to sell margarine (oleo) in Wisconsin.

Old 08-26-06, 05:47 PM
Group Moderator
Tow Guy - little known trivia outside Wisconsin, we all know about that here, also used to be illegal in Minnesota.

DIYaddict - my understanding is about 50% of the cheese sold as California cheese is relabled after coming from Wisconsin.

Old 08-26-06, 06:01 PM
Just out of curiosity, do you guys know why it was illegal?

Thanks for that info Mitch17. I'm kinda disappointed now though I really don't buy cheese based on where it came from. I never really thought about it.

Old 08-26-06, 06:10 PM
Change of subject here, but same thought: Most of the Orange Juice sold here i Key West, Fl. is from California. Go figure.

Old 08-26-06, 06:46 PM
Group Moderator
It was illegal to protect dairy farmers by not hurting butter sales. My mother tells stories about driving to Iowa to get it and then having to open the color packet and knead it through, since margarine is naturally white.

Old 08-27-06, 06:46 AM
Group Moderator
Originally Posted by cuedude
Change of subject here, but same thought: Most of the Orange Juice sold here in Key West, Fl. is from California. Go figure.
You don't actually DRINK that stuff, do you?????

Here's a little light reading on the oleo q, DIY:

http://www.wisconsinhistory.org/wmh/pdf/wmh_autumn01_strey.pdf#search=%22illegal%20oleo%20sales%20wisconsin%22

[Tow Guy was born in Milwaukee]

Old 11-20-06, 12:49 PM
Similar to the California orange being sold in Florida, most of the high-quality rice consumed in Japan is grown in California.

Old 12-02-06, 09:37 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
DIY addict, you and I should switch locations. My neighborhood is quiet except for occasional gunfire from a rod& Gun club. I myself sleep like a cadaver. I have been known to talk to someone on the phone when I was asleep and have no recollection of it when the person I talked to mentions whatever we talked about.

Search this Thread