ugh... modular homes

Old 08-30-06, 08:01 PM
Group Moderator
ugh... modular homes

I tell ya. I hate working on modular homes. Now... I realize that not all modular homes are built the same... that some of them actually may have minimum standards that they try to live up to. But the one I have been working at the past few days really takes the cake.

From the looks of it, it was built back in the 70's. We were replacing the original single pane windows (and interior storms) with new vinyl windows of the new construction persuasion. The trouble began right from the start.

At some point in time, someone installed steel siding over the top of the original aluminum sheet siding, which was kind of 8' wide annodized aluminum board and batten type roll of siding. The steel siding also had lost it's initial coat of paint, and had been generously globbed with loads of latex paint (effectively sealing the interlock so that it was practically impossible to unlock and remove the steel siding, which was necessary to unscrew the original windows!). Then, we find this 2nd layer of steel siding had been nailed on with a combination of 16d steel (now rusty) nails and 7d ring shank nails. Apparently, whoever installed the siding could not hit the studs, because there were no studs to be found! The walls of this home consist of a perimeter (top & bottom plate) plus a horizontal framing member (all 2x3's) whose only purpose was to hold a horizontal row of screws through the middle of the original 8' rolled siding. There are *no* vertical studs other than those on each side of the window openings. And apparently, this means no headers, as well. As a result, the roof, which is a 2:12 pitch, (and from the looks of it, is probably also framed with 2x3's) practically forms a lake over the middle of each window, which has caused leakage over the starter strip and drip edge (which sits flat for the first 12" or so). What a nightmare!

So after much struggling, we managed to get the old siding off, the old windows out, the new windows in, and the old siding back on. (we used screws to attach the siding... why didn't THEY think of that?)

All in all, it was very frustrating to work on such a dismaying piece of construction.

Did I mention that the house had no sheathing? Well, unless you count 1/8" foam that has a cardboard paper face as "sheathing".

I can't believe that this house could withstand a 40 mph wind. How could any self-respecting company build and sell such a thing? Thankfully the homeowner was not around to hear us bemoaning the condition of her home. Sadly, she probably already knows.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-30-06, 08:18 PM
installing a phone line in one once , end of the day cordless drill is dead dont feel like getting extension cord and drill out so I took a awl and punched a hole thru to run the wire out.

guy was shocked . didnt realize how flimsy is home was .

Old 08-31-06, 07:01 AM
Most modulars built in the 70s were made by mobile home manufacturers, so that should tell you what kind of quality and materials to expect.
On the other hand, I watched a modular home assembled recently in my town. It came in two sections and was married on site. The walls are 2X6 construction, siding is cedar clapboard, windows are doublepaned etc. From what I could see, the house was built as good or better than most stick built houses.