Christmas w/o cold weather?

Old 09-20-06, 11:12 AM

here's something i've always wondered about....

living in Missouri, and every year experiencing all four of the distinct seasons, it never really occurred to me til i was an adult, that there are lots of people who live where it's more or less the same temperature/weather year round. so my question is for you folks living there: how does that affect your Christmas holiday (and Thanksgiving, for that matter)? i mean, does it seem odd to you to see images of Santa Claus driving his sled through snow? what about songs like "I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas" or "Let it Snow, Let it Snow, Let it Snow"? or building snowmen? or drinking hot chocolate? do those so-called "traditional" winter things make you feel wierd or isolated or forgotten or ignored? i've seen Christmas decorations such as ornaments where Santa's surfboarding or palm trees decorated with Christmas lights, etc in stores so i know the retailers are trying to appeal to you (and get your money!), but i just can't imagine being somewhere warm during Christmas. do you not think anything of it, since you don't know anything different?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-20-06, 11:39 AM
Hmmm....never occurred to me what-so-ever! I'd like to know too! who DOESN'T have cold weather in the winter?

Old 09-20-06, 11:57 AM
Originally Posted by DIYaddict
who DOESN'T have cold weather in the winter?
ummm......YOU?! anyone in CA, AZ, TX, FL, etc....???

Old 09-20-06, 12:04 PM
It does get cold here. Probably not as cold as you but it does. ha ha. I mean I still get to wear my scarf and mittens(ha ha-but that's just me) I get cold easily. No snow where I'm at. In the mountains-yes. Nope...Santa still gets to come down here wearin' his outfit and all and doesn't sweat. He may at times wear his sunglasses though.

Old 09-20-06, 12:09 PM
okay, so maybe folks from SOUTHERN California can speak up? or, basically, anyone who's wearing shorts & a tank top on Christmas morning!

Old 09-20-06, 12:10 PM
Where I live in Canada, I think I'm an authority on cold Christmas weather!

DIY, my experience with a warm weather Christmas is spending a couple in Seattle or Vancouver or Kelowna! To me, that was tropical. It was nice to just wear a fleece, no shovelling, scraping windows, plugging in cars etccccccc. Imagine, getting up Christmas morning and walking on grass or seeing a tree with green leaves. Its amazing!

Old 09-20-06, 12:13 PM
Born in Florida, but spent the first 10 years of my life in Indiana before moving back to Florida. Sure did miss the white Christmas as a kid, and I miss it as an adult. But I don't miss the snowy weeks after Christmas.

White Christmas in South Florida is sugar sand and retired snow birds.

Christmas season is always nicer in cooler weather.

DWC

Old 09-20-06, 12:16 PM

It is mind over matter.

Winter is cold. Some places are either warmer or cloder than where you are.

When I lived in California, we put the top down when we picked up the Christmas tree. - Sprayed snow on the house windows to make it look like winter. - Put up some decorations. I admit that we wore a sweater once in a while and din't go to Malibu Beach as often.

If we needed a climate fix, we drove up 60 miles to the mountains for snow.

Now, since I am north again, it is easier, since I don't have to go through all that stuff. Winter comes and it is predictable.

Dick

Old 09-20-06, 01:04 PM
Wink

Hay Hay its just the same. After 6 years down in the caribbean. Where we had Sandy the Blue nose reindeer song and all it did get better after a time. Then 20 years in Fl. had a ball with Xmass Not like here cold you dont want to work outside . There its warm and you can work outside on the home to fix it up for Xmass. Would put all kinds of cutouts in the yard with lights. Then they also have the boats all decked out with lights and a big parade down the intercostal. Back up here again I did put hooks up on the fascia board. Will have a grandaughter put the lights up when it gets cold . Hey have you seen the new Xmass lights out they are
L E D use 80% less electric Much much better color .

ED

Old 09-20-06, 01:37 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I used to live in fla, while there is RARELY ever any snow and the season changes are sutle, there are differences in the weather. Fla can't get quite cold in the winter, I'd much rather be outside in 25` tenn temp than a 45` fla temp which feels ice cold!!!

I think most of the holiday traditions depend on what you grew up being used to. Those who have never experienced snow won't miss not having it at Christmas.

Search this Thread