car tunes

Old 09-22-06, 08:37 AM
Cool car tunes

this morning, as i do every day on my way to work, i was "chair dancing" and singing along to some favorite tunes. but every time i got stopped by a traffic light with other cars around me, i'd stop all that. then when the light turned green & we were all in motion again, i'd start back up. why do i do that? the other drivers can't HEAR me singing. for all they know, i'm a great singer! (altho i'm not ) so why stop? what's to be embarrassed about? then again, when i see other people singing in their cars, i think they're a little nuts... so, question #1 is, do you continue grooving to your tunes or stop when being watched? and #2: what are you currently listening to?

my new ride (okay, fine, it's a mini-van, but it's RED!! ) has a 6 disc CD player, so i'm currently loaded up with:

Carly Simon
James Taylor
Billy Joel
Lionel Ritchie (sp?)
Rod Stewart
and Elton John

Sponsored Links
Old 09-22-06, 08:55 AM
Group Moderator
Originally Posted by Annette
i'm currently loaded up with:

Carly Simon
James Taylor
Billy Joel
Lionel Ritchie (sp?)
Rod Stewart
and Elton John
Just don't roll down the window - they will think you're crazy if they know that's to what you're grooving!

Old 09-22-06, 09:05 AM
what? that's classic stuff! you can groove to Billy Joel! Only the Good Die Young? that's a good one! c'mon! you're just mad cuz my mini van is cooler than your beige oldguy car!!!

Old 09-22-06, 09:49 AM
Who ARE those people????!!?!?!?!

j/k

Who cares if anyone's lookin' at ya! At least you won't look all grumpy or PO'd in the car like most people. Actually, I'm kinda shy so even with window rolled up and music blasting (sorta), my lips will not move nor my hands or my head. ha ha

Sorry, I have no favorites. I just listen to whatever's on the radio station and if I don't like it I keep changin' 'til I do find something upbeat and not so depressing.

Old 09-22-06, 09:59 AM
Depends on what vehicle I'm in... Closed up in the SUV, I sing along, and keep on singing. Out in the open in the convertible, I don't sing (you'd thank me if you heard me sing!). I sing to James Taylor and Carly Simon - among others.

I don't do a lot of "chair dancing", but I do occasionally "drum along".

There are some songs that really move me, and I call these "100 Mile an hour" songs, because they make me want to drive that fast, and they seem to sound better at that speed (it doesn't have to actually be 100, but the closer the better). ZZ Top has a couple songs that qualify - La Grange, Cheap Sunglasses!

Old 09-22-06, 10:17 AM
Group Moderator
you can groove to Billy Joel!
You put down my old guy car while listening to Billy Joel? How old are you? I may be old enough to drive a Buick, but I'm not old enough to listen to Carly Simon or James Taylor (though I am old enough to remember when they were married).

Old 09-22-06, 10:30 AM
i'm 30-something. how old are YOU?

i'm currently listening to my soft rock/lovey-dovie mix. i have funkier mixes, too.....but i have to be careful when my young children are in the car with me. nothing worse than hearing your 7 year old going around the house humming "she's a super freak, super freak, she's super freaking ouuuuuuuut....." and then ask you what a super freak is!

Last edited by Annette; 09-22-06 at 11:01 AM.
Old 09-22-06, 10:48 AM
Group Moderator
You're still not old enough to listen to that stuff, but I understand the kids influencing the selection - I'll let you off the hook.

Old 09-22-06, 11:13 AM
Mitch17,

I'm sure that you are much younger than me, and that I probably have more gray hair than you, but Annette calling your Buick an old-guy car made me bring this up.

For the past several months, whenever I have a near accident, or am subjected to someone's crazy driving, it always seems to be an old guy in a Buick! I have taken to telling my wife "Oh-oh, there's another 'Gray hair in a Buick'" - and more often than not, they then proceed to cut somebody off, back into somebody, do 30 mph on the freeway, all sorts of vehicular mayhem.

Old 09-22-06, 01:30 PM
Group Moderator
I have long since reached the point where the gray hairs out number the brown, so it's reasonable to call me a gray hair in a Buick. I'm assuming it's similar for Buicks, but I know the average age of a Mercury owner is 66.

Old 09-22-06, 03:20 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by mitch17
I know the average age of a Mercury owner is 66.

Oh oh, don't tell my wife, she has owned mercs for the last 7 yrs. I will say that the sable is easier for me to get in and out of than her mystique was :

Old 09-27-06, 04:06 AM
I can remember driving the "mommy-mobile" and singing along.....don't particularly care what others think...a little difficult for some people to understand the lyrics and such of LZ, Nirvana, JT, etc, etc so they either run the light to get away or pretend something is VERY interesting out the OTHER window. My kids grew up listening to the same stuff I do and most of it was recorded before they were born....both now sing-along regularly while driving.

Old 09-27-06, 04:16 AM
Here. I'll put a little spin into this. I'm 39 and in my truck at any given time you could hear Country, Rap, or Rock. It drives my friends crazy becuase since I burn my cd's and they will be jamming on Niel Young and then the next song might be Kieth Urban and them Metalica.

The types of music you wont here in any of my vehicles is classical or opera music.

Old 09-27-06, 05:13 AM
Group Moderator
I'm guessing Annette REALLY rocks when Nancy Sinatra comes on! [Give that some thought, LOL]

I rock along to oldies all day, but because I sit somewhat above eye level for most drivers, nobody notices.

Old 09-27-06, 06:31 AM
I felt really old the other day. While scanning through the radio I came across Van Halen playing and was jamming. After the song was over I found that it was on the oldies station.

Old 09-27-06, 06:48 AM
Rotfl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :d

Old 09-27-06, 07:54 PM
...the other drivers can't HEAR me singing...
Yes, we can

....I'm not kidding

Old 09-28-06, 08:24 AM
uh-OH!!!

sorry.........

Old 09-29-06, 12:18 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Ha! I've got dark tinted windows in my Pathfinder, so you can't tell what I'm doing! As for the music, if it's up loud, it's probably something like Pink Floyd, Peter Frampton, Dire Straits, Lynrd Skynrd, ZZ top, Steve Miller Band, ELO, CCR, etc etc...

If it's normal or lower volume, it's probably country or public radio.