Thanksgiving

Old 10-05-06, 07:31 PM
Thanksgiving

We're hosting the family thanksgiving dinner this year and wanted to buy a cd for background music at dinner. Anyone have any suggestions of what would be good to buy?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-06-06, 04:56 AM
You have to play "Alice's Resteraunt".

Old 10-06-06, 05:04 AM
Group Moderator
Well, start of Christmas season. We have a real nice Kenny G cd of Holiday tunes.

Old 10-06-06, 05:37 AM
Originally Posted by the_tow_guy
Well, start of Christmas season. We have a real nice Kenny G cd of Holiday tunes.
Isn't it bad enough that you killed the turkey and ate it... you have to torture it too?!?!

Old 10-06-06, 05:42 AM
Group Moderator
Well, I was going to suggest Bob Rivers' Twisted Christmas, but that's a little extreme.

And anyway, if you don't drive away the dinner guests early there'll be no leftover turkey for the week after!

Old 10-06-06, 06:15 AM
The_Tow_Guy: Excellent point! I have been lamenting over the lack of Turkey day leftovers - thought I just lived in a family of Wolverines... Thanks for the tip - I think I'll try that!

Back to the original question: I'd suggest avoiding Christmas CDs because that's all anyone will hear for the next month, but regular CDs by the same people (Kenny G, Mahattan Transfer, James Taylor - folks that have done Christmas collections) played softly as a background might be appropriate. Since family gatherings are usually multi-generational, I'd skip the oldies collections. (But don't listen to me, we turn on the football games!)

Old 10-06-06, 07:32 AM
dellco: for truly helpful suggestions, you really ought to tell the ages of the dinner guests & their general music preferences. otherwise, the choices are just too many.

that said, we like the classics at our house: Frankie, Nat, Bing, Dean.....

Old 10-06-06, 11:21 AM
"Frankie, Nat, Bing, Dean..." Wow. When I said skip the "oldies", I was talking about the 60's and 70's - not the 30's and 40's...

Old 10-06-06, 11:56 AM
exactly what is wrong with "oldies" and "classics"?? when did simply being old equal being bad???

music isn't like dairy foods or produce.......it doesn't go bad just cuz it's old. you either like it now & forever, or you don't, never did & never will.

talking about music has never gone over well here.......kinda like politics or Ford vs Chevy. to each his own.

Last edited by Annette; 10-06-06 at 12:15 PM.
Old 10-06-06, 12:21 PM
dellco,

If you get really confused here...another suggestion...

You could always play music from your computer and it'd be FREE. Just a do a search on Thanksgiving music or whatever and play the music. I don't know if your family would really pay attention to the music, but I guess any of the suggestions above are great...only- I don't even know half of who those people are!

Old 10-06-06, 02:43 PM
Wow, I started quite the thread here, not sure if I'm further ahead or not lol. But thanks for all the suggestions!!!

Old 10-06-06, 06:16 PM
George Winston's Autumn, on Windham Hill Records

No Christmas music, T-Day should stand on it's own

Old 10-06-06, 08:25 PM
Originally Posted by Annette
exactly what is wrong with "oldies" and "classics"?? when did simply being old equal being bad???

music isn't like dairy foods or produce.......it doesn't go bad just cuz it's old. you either like it now & forever, or you don't, never did & never will.

talking about music has never gone over well here.......kinda like politics or Ford vs Chevy. to each his own.
Wait - you mean I shouldn't be eating that two-year-old cottage cheese?

For the record, I like them too, but couldn't pass up the opportunity to tease you. (You brought them up right after I mentioned "oldies".)