Good flick

Old 10-08-06, 11:14 AM
Group Moderator
Good flick

Went and saw "The Guardian" last night with wife and daughter. Pretty good movie, Kevin Costner did an especially good job with his character. Only thing disappointing were the scenes (and there were several) taken straight from the scripts of "Officer and a Gentleman" and "Top Gun". Three out of four stars.

Last edited by the_tow_guy; 10-09-06 at 10:55 AM. Reason: Can't spell.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-06, 10:51 AM
yep - when i saw the previews for that, i immediately thought "isn't that the same thing as 'Officer and a Gentleman?" and wasn't Kevin Costner already in a movie called the Bodyguard??

have we really run out of movie ideas & titles????

oh well.......as long as it was entertaining, i guess you got your money's worth!

Old 10-09-06, 10:51 AM
"last might?"

Will probably end up buying on DVD. LOVE Kevin Costner...Kostner? How much is it for an outting at the movies now-a-days?

Old 10-09-06, 10:56 AM
Group Moderator
Probably cheaper here than out there; wife bought tickets early so I don't know how much; $8 maybe?

Old 10-09-06, 11:14 AM
HeY! No editing after a reply has been posted!!!!

You're no fun! (Except you did mention reason for editing: "Can't spell" lol!

Yes...I dislike it when one edits their post after you have replied so then your reply makes no sense at all.

I agree w/you Annette...there's movies called "I Am Sam" (LOVE that movie), "I Am David" (fell asleep)...

I guess $8 is not so bad. I seriously don't know what it costs to see a movie in the theaters but I figured I could just wait for the DVD to come out and spend about the same price on the DVD and have saved money. Save money not having to buy popcorn, drinks and candy too.

I went out to the theaters once (for a try) and it was THEE worst experience ever! I think I picked the wrong movie, wrong day and time. It was opening night on a Friday night and we went to watch "Benchwarmers". OMG! Teenagers (probably mostly Jr. Highers) EVERYWHERE! Yelling, screaming, laughing in your face, crawling all over the chairs, throwing things, not sitting properly on the chairs, running...and NOT a parent in sight...except for me and one other dude. It was a very sad experience. I told my son when he gets to their age not to act like them.

Old 10-09-06, 02:25 PM
Ummm....as a movie theater manager....Hollywood is stretching nowadays. They will soon run out of comics, classic tv shows and sequals...C'mon, Rocky 16. I'll still see it ('cuz it's free), but it's frustrating at times

Old 10-09-06, 03:08 PM
Well Rapture may not like this but the best thing I've done lately is "Netflix". First I live in a small town, which even though it has a 6 screen theatre we get no foreign films and seem to get only the more "mainstream" movies. Which means "The Guardian" came here (didn't see it-as you said it's been done a few times already).

Remember summertime is the dumping ground for bomb movies and stuff that's geared toward teenagers, which means I probably won't like them.

Granted not every movie translates well to the small screen, but if anyone talks while I'm watching a DVD it's our own fault, and we can back up and watch that scene again.

Frank

Old 10-09-06, 05:46 PM
Group Moderator
[QUOTE=DIYaddict]HeY! No editing after a reply has been posted!!!!

I must have missed that in the rules. Guess you won't be fixing "HeY!"

Old 10-09-06, 07:30 PM
LOL! It'S sTiLL sPeLLeD rIgHt!

I KnOw, ThErE iS nO rULe AbOuT tHaT...yEs...YeS...bUt ThErE sHoUlD bE! oR aT lEaSt ThE sEtTiNgS sHoUlD bE sEt ThAt wAy.

Old 10-10-06, 08:03 AM
I'm all for Netflix. Even though I can watch movies for free until my eyes bleed....I couldn't tell you the last movie I actually watched in a theater was. Personally, I'd rather buy the movie on DVD. I just feel like I'm back at work if my day off is spent at a theater...even if it's not mine.

Old 10-10-06, 08:38 AM
Group Moderator
We bought a big TV a couple years ago in response to movie prices - two tickets and some snacks and you're looking at probably a $30 evening. Rent a DVD and make the snacks yourself for less than $10 and no gas burned.

Old 10-10-06, 08:57 AM
Group Moderator
Originally Posted by Rapture
Ummm....as a movie theater manager....Hollywood is stretching nowadays. They will soon run out of comics, classic tv shows and sequals...C'mon, Rocky 16. I'll still see it ('cuz it's free), but it's frustrating at times

I heard yesterday that Rambo IV is being filmed in Thailand.

Old 10-10-06, 10:27 AM
Group Moderator
IMHO the REALLY bad ones are the attempts at remaking films that are absolute classics that could NEVER be duplicated.

Old 10-10-06, 09:30 PM
Originally Posted by the_tow_guy
IMHO the REALLY bad ones are the attempts at remaking films that are absolute classics that could NEVER be duplicated.
Like Transformers!