Flat Tires

Old 10-09-06, 09:17 AM
Flat Tires

Is there any way to avoid getting a flat tire???!!!!

I know it's "NO" but I'm ...frustrated! Within a year I've had at least 3 flat tires and I'm tired of it!!! 2 times I was blessed enough to be able to patch the tire. I am constantly getting nails in my tires...so, blessed again that my tires didn't pop while driving and it was just a slow leak. I can't figure out where these nails are coming from. I suspect at work but not sure. There is construction going on and they toss all kinds of construction things in the trash bins. Can't be from my house b/c I am not building anything! Could be neighbors b/c they do here and there construction and the roads are being worked on, but when they fix the road...they don't use nails!

I do have AAA but I could've changed the tire myself by the time they get to me. Just unsafe when on the freeway. At this point if I get another one anytime soon...I WILL NOT CARE! (No...I do care...just getting REALLY tired of this).

Should I just buy a bunch of tires and store them in my garage? LOL!

Humphhhhhhhh...oh well....I feel better now.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-06, 09:54 AM
Group Moderator
How to prevent flat tires? Quit driving. My wife and I average more than a flat a year, so I've taken to fixing them myself and figure I'm saving more than $20 each time. Twice in the last five years I've had to replace the tire.

Old 10-09-06, 10:12 AM
Group Moderator
FWIW, I carry plugging tools and plugs on the truck to fix mine on the go. Tow Guys aren't immune unfortunately. [You do know that in the wee hours we drive around tossing nails on the roads to drum up business, right?]

Old 10-09-06, 10:48 AM
1. learn how to put on your spare tire.

2. buy your tires from a place that has that deal where they'll fix flats for free if you buy them from there.

3. don't ever use that fix-a-flat stuff in the can. i've been told once you use that, the tire can't be fixed by the tire guys & you'll have to get a whole new tire. (TG: true?)

Old 10-09-06, 10:57 AM
Group Moderator
Still fixable, just messier I think.

Old 10-09-06, 11:16 AM
Originally Posted by the_tow_guy
[You do know that in the wee hours we drive around tossing nails on the roads to drum up business, right?]
No wonder I never see a tow guy being towed!

AND to add to Annette's #1

...have the right tools to change the tires. (Call me dumb but I had the wrong tool b/c I had new tires and new lug nuts put on and the tool I had did not fit the lug nuts!)

Last edited by DIYaddict; 10-09-06 at 11:30 AM. Reason: More info
Old 10-09-06, 05:57 PM
Group Moderator
Stand by, the Tow Guy is actually going to impart some professional wisdom vis-a-vis changing your own flat tire: If you have a "donut" (aka spacesaver) spare, don't do it unless you are near an air source and can verify the pressure in your tire. Chances of there being anywhere near the required pressure, (unless the car is a year old or less) are slim and none. Donuts especially look and feel for all the world like they have plenty of air in them when in reality they have maybe 10 psi (and the recommended pressure is 60 psi). Also, read the warning on the donut: Not to exceed 50 mph. Want to guess how often I get called out to the interstate to rescue someone who changed their flat tire 10 miles back down the road only to blow out the donut (because it only had 10 pounds of air in it and was being driven down the road @ 75 mph)? Add to that the number of people who are run over and killed trying to change a tire on the side of the road and MAYBE you should call a tow guy. Unless it's raining, of course; then change you own darn tire! LOL; just kidding.

Old 10-09-06, 07:10 PM
Thank you! I didn't know that about donuts. So if I fill it up to the right psi...and store it in the trunk, I am A-OK? Can I carry one of those air conpressor things? (Is it legal and safe and smart?).

Also, would it be smart to buy one of those repair kits (the ones the tire fixer guys use) where you can pull out the nail and stick the rubber like thing in the hole and you're done? Sorry....have no idea what it's called! Or would it just be cheaper to get someone to fix it? I mean if this happens to me all the time...I may as well if there is a kit. It would sure save me the trouble taking it somewhere.

And thank you for the reminder on changing tires when it's not safe. I saw the tow guy (not you) changing it on the freeway and he was just inches away from passing by cars. That is freaky!!! Good thing I listened to my mom and bro and didn't attempt changing it myself.

Old 10-10-06, 05:25 AM
Group Moderator
Not a bad idea to carry one of the little 12v compressors AND a tire gauge. Both are cheap. Not a bad idea to check the air in that spare at least once a month (along with the other tires); cheap insurance. I wouldn't mess with a plugger kit if I was the average motorist.

Old 10-10-06, 05:26 AM
Group Moderator
I carry a small 12 volt compressor and that plug kit to which you are referring (bought mine at Walmart). My wife knows to pull off the freeway if she gets a flat, as I believe it is better to ruin a rim by driving (slowly) on a flat tire than get run over changing one. If you carry the kit, you'll need to carry something for pulling the offending object from the tire as well.

Old 10-10-06, 06:44 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
murphys law - as long as you have an aired up spare and all the neccesary tools you won't get a flat

For the first time ever, this past spring I had to pay to have my donut spare put on. Busted a cord and the tire started to unravel, I knew someting was wrong and intended to look at my next stop - it just came apart before I got there. Got the jack out and in place and found out that the factory 19mm lug wrench slipped on all but 1 lug - they were all 18mm. Fortunatly I was able to limp to a station where I could get it changed. My jeep now carries a 18mm socket and ratchet.

Old 10-10-06, 08:08 AM
Very good reminder...I think I'll check my donut when I get home today

Old 10-10-06, 08:33 AM
All this talk of donuts is making me hungry. I think I'll go to Angilo's and get a hoagie for lunch.

Old 10-10-06, 08:37 AM
Group Moderator
I check the air in my tires fairly often, but a lot of people don't. Much smaller group that checks the donut spare, but you don't get the chance to air it up when you need it.

Old 10-10-06, 09:18 AM
i hate airing up my tires, ever since i heard of one exploding in someone's face.

Old 10-10-06, 09:41 AM
Group Moderator
Originally Posted by Annette
i hate airing up my tires, ever since i heard of one exploding in someone's face.
Under normal conditions and pressure tires do not explode, so this had to be a freak accident. Nothing wrong with a division of labor in a household, make airing the tires your husband's job.

Old 10-10-06, 10:13 AM
Group Moderator
Good idea for EVERYONE to at least have a basic knowledge of:

1. Where the spare is located.
2. How to get it out of the vehicle (many vans and trucks it's stored underneath and has to be lowered. A lot of owners of these vehicles are totally clueless as to how to get at it).
3. The location of the special adapter if you have security lugnuts installed (and a LOT of people discover they don't have one the first time they have a flat after buying a used car). Tow Guy tip - if you have one, it will fit neatly into a 35mm film cannister for storage in your glovebox.

Old 10-11-06, 05:45 PM
tae
Go to a salvage yard and get a rim and tire for your car and carry it instead of the donut. Or get a rim and have a good tire put on it.
In the not to distant future, there will be airless tires for all.(yes they already exist, but few of us could afford them)
http://www.autoblog.com/2005/09/20/auto-manufacturers-testing-zero-pressure-spare-tire/
http://greenvilleonline.com/news/business/2005/01/08/2005010856370.htm

Old 10-11-06, 06:04 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by tae
Go to a salvage yard and get a rim and tire for your car and carry it
I worked on a construction site with a boy back in the 70's who bought a used GMC. First day he had it on the job he got a flat - and no jack, I loaned him mine and after work he got a jack and had the flat fixed. He got a flat everyday, on payday he went and bought an extra rim and tire and never had another flat

Old 10-12-06, 04:20 AM
Group Moderator
Talking

The probability of having a flat or other car problem is inversely proportional to your level of preparedness.

Old 10-12-06, 06:40 AM
Group Moderator
Luck favors the prepared.

Old 10-12-06, 07:08 AM
Admin Emeritus
Talking

"All this talk of donuts is making me hungry. I think I'll go to Angilo's and get a hoagie for lunch."

Hi Matt
Me 2. Where is this place Matt?

Meet you there. Lunch is on my tab. This time "Only"...Ha Ha

Donuts??? Carry them with you???

I thought only "COPS" did that while on patrol...

So, now we know where all those "Nails" come from!!!

Tow truck drivers!!!! Drumming up "Business."

More tows = (equals) more "COMMISSIONS!"....LOL! Hummmm.

When it "RAINS" and tires flat...don't call tow truck???!!!???

Guess tow truck drivers, when working in the rainy weather seasons, are "Afraid" they will get their "Donuts" wet.......???? LMAOWTIME........

FYI:
LMAOWTIME = Laughing My A-ss Off With Tears In My Eyes

Last edited by Sharp Advice; 10-12-06 at 09:39 AM.
Old 10-12-06, 12:27 PM
Group Moderator
Originally Posted by mattison
All this talk of donuts is making me hungry. I think I'll go to Angilo's and get a hoagie for lunch.
Originally Posted by Sharp Advice.
Hi Matt
Me 2. Where is this place Matt?
It's on Robertson Ave between I-71 and the Norwood Expressway. You didn't know that, Sharp?

Old 10-12-06, 04:02 PM
Originally Posted by mitch17
Under normal conditions and pressure tires do not explode, so this had to be a freak accident. Nothing wrong with a division of labor in a household, make airing the tires your husband's job.
You are correct. I had one blow off the rim once though. Not an enjoyable experience. The tire was very old, (trailer tire), and the metal bead in the tire had rusted through. When I inflated it, the bead seperated, and it slipped off the rim. Never got it to full inflation of 30#. That would have hurt something.

cuedude

Old 10-12-06, 08:39 PM
Admin Emeritus
Talking

O-Kay everybody.
Check your PIN maps.

Watch for cops eating "DONUTS"

Head over to Angelo's and get a hoagie for lunch.

We all meet here:
It's on Robertson Ave between I-71 & the Nor wood Expressway.

Annette will print up and pass out the driving instructions & maps.

Cuedude has the "KEYS" & looking for the DONUTS.

marksr and rapture are rechecking their "DONUTS"

tae hasn't left the salvage yards nor JUNK YARDS yet.

matts hungry and already left???!!!
"...hungry. I think I'll go to Angelo's and get a hoagie for lunch."

mitch is still figuring up the "division of labor in a household"

Tow_guy carries spare "Donuts" on board truck.

DIYaddict is taking notes:
"I didn't know that about donuts"
and will...."buy a bunch of tires and store them in my garage"

Tabs for hoagies on Sharp - today only.
Drinks not included.

Is this the "Whole" gang?

Did I miss anyone???

No "Rain" Checks Provided,Accepted nor Offered.....

Old 10-13-06, 05:45 AM
Group Moderator
Some clarification:

Annette will print up and pass out the driving instructions & maps after she buys new shoes for the occasion [what goes with donuts?].

I don't carry donuts on the truck, but I have "filling".

"DIYaddict is taking notes:
"I didn't know that about donuts"
and will...."buy a bunch of tires and store them in my garage"."

ROFLMAO! Best one liner of the bunch.

Old 10-13-06, 07:58 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Darn, I wish you had told me sooner which Angilo's. I spent the day at the one on Springdale Rd., waiting for you to show up.

For those unfamiliar with Cincinnati, Norwood (one word) is a city within a city. It is surrounded by Cincinnati.

Rumor says it was founded by folks who were trying to get home from Detroit to Tennessee, down I-75 for the holidays. By the time they reached Cincy, they:
1. Ran out of gas
2. Flattened their last spare tire.
3. Blew the engine
4. All of the above
and founded Norwood, the Tennessee crown colony.

Search this Thread