Allow URL/IMG

Old 10-27-06, 03:53 PM
Allow URL/IMG

Oh why, oh why, oh why is this the only forum on the whole wide world web that does NOT allow photos?? (I am not kidding, this is the only one I ever seen that don't shows photo)

It is soo hard to try to explan something to someone, and want to show an image..... A picture is worth a million words.

Or if we try to send a link to something, and some webpages address are soo long that it takes a whole screen, and makes post reading really hard.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-27-06, 04:25 PM
Posters who show images on this website go to photo sites like www.photobucket.com where they place their own pictures and import to this website. Any photos posted from a copyrighted source must be footnoted with the source. All photos are closely moderated for content.

Old 10-27-06, 04:47 PM
Yes, I myself do use another site to link the photo, but still a headache, copy the link and posting it on another browser..

I think we will get a much better hit on this site if we have photo on here.. I see a large numbers of people on other site cuz they are able to see what to do, or we can see better what to do.

Old 10-27-06, 08:49 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
twelve, that was a very politician-like reply. Completely evaded directly answering the question.
How can moderators closely monitor photos if they are not allowed?

Like the OP I had also wondered about this. I agree, this is the only site I know of like this. I am of the feeling that there must have been an issues with posting copyrighted photo so the whole thing was scrubbed.
Kind of a shame really.
I don't care as much about the IMG thing as I do the other vB code items, such as links, ital, bold and quotes.
I especailly use the URL function so we can link to certain items that we are talking about. This way there is no confusion that we are talking about item "ABC-123". We can link right to it.
The quote thing is also helpful so you can show exactly what parts of a long post you are replying to.

We were told it may come back soon. Hopefully the owners of the site will see the drawback of this situation.

Old 10-27-06, 09:36 PM
Duh? You're right Petey. I look at photos all the time, but I copy & paste the links to go see them. How could I have gone brain dead on that one is beyond me.

Thanks for pointing that out. We need to tell people to post the link to photobucket or wherever in their posts so we can go see them. I agree that photos are worth a thousand words as they say. Some people have such difficulty describing things, and it is hard for us to visualize. Sometimes it is difficult to understand their questions. There are many forums where it would be great to see what is going on. I know it surely helps in Decorating.

And, Petey, you are correct again. There was a history. Unfortunately we live in high tech times where there are hackers and such that are so clever that every precaution must be taken to protect the website. There are internet websites set up for hackers to practice their skills.

If you look in the top left hand corner of the home page you will see the logo Hacker Safe. But, if someone can hack the Pentagon?

I have read that hackers no longer even need to visit a website to attack it, instead they are using information from pages cached by popular search engine Google according to a report in the New Scientist. Google says it is not responsible for the way information it collects is used and is valuable to researchers. And, web page owners must take responsibility for securing their sites. So, if this is true, it's up to DIY to secure its site.

Old 10-28-06, 12:08 AM
Bah...why try and compete with the Pentagon. Let the hackers worry about the military, we like pictures.

Old 10-28-06, 06:18 AM
Group Moderator
I'm not a computer guy, so I can't speak technically about this, but the issue is security, as twelvepole mentioned. The owner of the site has every intention of allowing this again when it can be done without risk, but there is no schedule for this to happen.

Old 10-28-06, 06:37 AM
I'd suggest the site owner to do some homework and get the latest software to help protect this site.

I mean, there is no excuse for this site not to be up to date. I seen alot of other fourms in this format and they have photos and other link HTML.

Old 10-28-06, 01:16 PM
Group Moderator
My understanding is that the software is being changed - another vendor is being used. I don't have the technical background to know how long something like that takes or just what it entails. I have been told that the owner of the site does want to enable that feature again and, as I said earlier, will do so when he deems possible.

Old 10-28-06, 02:42 PM
Along with Petey.. this is the ONLY forum site I've EVER been on that doesn't at least allow photos, or url tagging so that there is no need to cut and paste. Playing the copyright card is a cop-out. YouTube has thousands of copyrighted videos on there site, and they were just bought by Google, copyright infringements and all. Did they get sued? Nope, the copyright owners entered into marketing deals instead.

DIY appears to have enough sponsorship that bandwidth costs also aren't an issue, as one site I am on has one sponsor, yet hosts literally 10's of thousands of photos, ON SITE, whole threads dedicated to nothing but people posting photos.

Until a _reasonable_ answer is produced, people are going to continue to complain about the lack of on site photo support.

Something such as, we just don't want to spend the money on bandwidth or server space. The software has nothing to do with it.

Old 10-28-06, 06:53 PM
Super Moderator
As mitch has just said, my understanding as well is that because of this site changing the forum software, having "codes" turned on may leave a security hole.
It is also possible that the codes get in the way of the changever to the new software.

It does not seem _reasonable_ for bandwidth to be the issue because diy.com has never hosted images.
The codes only allow for direct liking to images hosted elsewhere.

If these answers aren't good enough complaining is ok................it's good therapy.

Old 11-27-06, 04:23 AM
Wha!

It is one thing to make a suggestion, but to go further and complain about something that is given free of charge is beyond my understanding. If you don't like it go to the other sites.

Old 11-27-06, 08:29 AM
Allow URL/IMG

Victorian -

You missed the big picture -

The site is free to users, but is not a charity. The site operates and receives money for ads. The more people that use the site, the more ads that can be sold and the higher value of the ads.

Chasing people away would be counter-productive since there would be less action and less assistance. Right now, many people go elsewhere because of convenience. I have started to do this myself, and found some interesting specialized options for my interests.

Offering a better service (like URL/IMG) would make the site more attractive. Apparently, the site is a little slow catching up to others. "Security" is a reason/excuse, just like "Work in Progress".

Dick

Old 11-27-06, 12:09 PM
:waves: Hi Dick, ready for the cold snap later on this week?

Anyway, I agree with Dick, I've been sooo tempted to leave this site. but I am waiting for the day to come where we are allowed to show pictures and we got a good crew here.

Old 11-29-06, 06:43 PM
Cool Puppy wants to go out look!!

I have no clue what yall' just said.

Use the english language, or translation module, and some descriptions and we can fix it.
This site is awsome!

Security!!? I don't get it, i never gave more than my E-mail address.
Advertisements..... where? (Don't tell them I said/ asked that).
When I notice...I'm gone.

Old 11-30-06, 05:04 AM
Originally Posted by twelvepole View Post
I have read that hackers no longer even need to visit a website to attack it, instead they are using information from pages cached by popular search engine Google according to a report in the New Scientist. Google says it is not responsible for the way information it collects is used and is valuable to researchers. And, web page owners must take responsibility for securing their sites. So, if this is true, it's up to DIY to secure its site.
To quantify your statement twelvepole, this is from a moderator at the Netstumbler forums that I frequent.. These are forums for Network professionals..

The Mods and Admins have recently found out something interesting about these bot net auto-posting software that the spammers are using to hammer us: They track posts that are made in response to any started threads. That means that any posts made prior to the thread being removed actually helps these guys' stats.

As much as I know the visceral response is to tell them to "F--- --f!", that short satisfaction is actually hurting us in the long run. It's actually generating stats for these morons telling them that their posts are successful. The more "successful" the are on a Forum, the more they post on the Forum. Plus it pushes up the Forum in the SOB's database.
UNQUOTE

Old 01-24-07, 08:08 PM
Well, I am digging this post up, and it's a New Year.... I see that nothing has been done or changed..

I mean come on.. What is the excuse? couple other sites I go to already had upgrades to allow alot more things to a post... I see ads poping up all over this site.. so it's not like they are not getting any sponsers.

I love this site, but getting to a point where I want to leave cuz we simply can NOT post pictures. :-(

I reply to a lot of questions on HVAC forum, I want to post pictures, I am tired of copy and past links, I am tired of people asking how or why they can't post pictures..... I am tired of trying to read around the "Brackets" [quote] [img] [url] {{{{}}}}}.. ect....

Sorry I just had to vent.

Old 01-25-07, 07:47 AM
I'm with Jay - While I understand the need for security, I don't understand why this site is the only one of a dozen or more that I routinely visit that doesn't allow posting of pictures and URL's.
Cut and paste is a PITA and I wonder how much info is never posted because it's just too time consuming.

Old 01-26-07, 08:29 PM
Group Moderator
Actually the explanations that are given over and over again don't make sense. Prohibiting HTML code could be a risk because browsers do recognize HTML and a hackers could perhaps include malicious HTML.

However VB (BB) codes are not recognized by browsers. That is one reason many forums use them. VB codes only tell the forums code what HTML to insert into the post your browser reads. The forum software will only translate VB codes specifically written into the software and will only translate it to HTML specifically written into the software. Any VB code not specifically in the software would be ignored.

My guess is the forum is broken and the owners either don't want to pay to fix it or the people actually doing the tech have fed the owners a line of BS because they either don't know how to fix it or don't want to spend the effort to do it.

Now I'm no expert so I could be wrong and will be glad to retract my statement if the owners provide a real explanation of how VB codes are a security hazard.

Old 03-14-07, 07:13 AM
Any Update or News For Us?

I just want to wake up this post to see if there is any news on getting photo posting on here anytime soon?

With spring around the corner I don't want to be wasting time on this site copy and pasting photo all day trying to vew pictures and also I feel sorry for people who is trying to post pictures since they have done it for other fourm

As much I hate to say this, I think I will end my membership here on May 1st if they don't do anything about it. I love helping people on here and it really hard for me to say that I will end my membership here. I wanted to become a monitor as well, and I know a couple of other people has left due to this.

Old 03-14-07, 07:29 AM
Allow URL/IMG

Jay - I agree with you toatally.

I am not on get answers, but to learn and help where I can. Apparently, a parnoid fear or lack of ability exists to make the site as valuable as it could be.

I find myself using many other forums more frequently because of the time, problems and hassles involved here. I feel sorry for those submitting that are not aware of alternate sources.

Like you, I am aware of the members that have left, but fortunately, I have been able to maintain contacts and work with them elsewhere.

Dick

Old 03-14-07, 09:15 AM
Admin Emeritus
Hoping to get this question and others like it as to why there are no codes on issue resolved.

The codes are turned off because of hackers. If anyone has read the latest news articles contained within the Microsoft news letters, one would better understand the issues of threats from web site hackers.

A site that is undergoing changes, as this site is currently doing and likely to be doing for some time into the future, is even more exposed and venerable to hackers.

Hackers often like to hack into large sites. Do-It-Yourself.com is the largest site of it's kind. Hacking into this site and/or compromising it it any way is possible when codes are turned on. And very well worth a hackers time and efforts to do so. It would be a badge of honor to any hacker able to do so.

Why do you think hackers primarily attack large cooperations and major banks and information credit agencies sites that contain your personal information???

At least when it is and/or was possible to do so. As reported in all major news paper stories in print format and on major TV news reports. Worth a hackers time and efforts doing so. They made head line news. So much so the US congress got involved!!!

Smaller web sites, such as the diy competition has, would be easier but not really worth the time to any hacker. Therefore, DIY is a primary target. With the codes turned off, hacking into the site is almost impossible.

Thus, the codes are turned off and will remain off until the site owners deem it to be as hacker proof as possible. Rest assuredly, the site owners know the codes are off. And only they will determine when any codes get turned on.

Sorry for the inconvenience etc it causes some members and moderators.

Hope the above brief explanation and primary reason helps to clarify the issue. And hopefully too, answers the question(s).

Web Site and Forums Manager and Monitor.

Old 03-14-07, 10:18 AM
Not a big issue with me. It would be nice for them to be on but I copy and paste virtually every link posted on this site daily and it's really not that bothersome.

Old 03-14-07, 12:09 PM
Admin Emeritus
Thank you to those whom understand the diy security risks involved at this time. Much appreciated by all staff members. I am sure codes will be turned on when the time is correct for admins to do so.

To all whom are able to do the excellent jobs you are already doing, despite the small inconveniences involved during this time frame, thanks. Your co-operation in this matter and for the time being is much appreciated.

To those whom find it so inconvenient, sorry.
Not in my area of control.

To those whom cannot bare it now, much longer or any longer and want to leave...the door is to the right >>>>>>...Ha Ha.

BTW:
Like a magic trick. Can't see it happening.

The eyes do not and often times will not "SEE" changes made nor those being made. Most of the changes are part of the integrations being made between all sites involved with diy, links to it from other sites, advertisers sites and links, advertising sites and links and changes made to the many other pages on this large site. Not just the forum pages.

Excuse me. I would provide hyper links. BUT....The codes are turned OFF.

For Your Reading Info:

Microsoft Security for Home Computer Users News Letter.

The newsletter is here: http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=6403524

Protect your computer info:

Don't let hackers hijack your browser http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=6403511

"Browser hijacking" is an on line attack in which hackers take control of your Internet browser and change how it behaves. Learn how to help prevent these types of attacks and how to restore your browser's settings if it has been hijacked.

Downloading? Click "Save," not "Run" http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=6403512

Make sure your anti virus software has a chance to check the files that you download before you open them on your computer.

Kill pop-up ads http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=6230277

Pop-up ads aren't just annoying--they can slow down or even damage your computer. Find out how to get rid of them with a few simple tools that you may already have.

Identity theft: Are you easy to trick? http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=6230279

On line criminals use several types of "social engineering" to exploit people's trust, from e-mail hoaxes to phishing scams. Use these tips to help avoid getting tricked.

Watch out for Windows Vista phishing scams http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=6027621

You may have seen some variation of an e-mail message that promises that you can download Windows Vista now. This is spam--and a kind of scam known as "phishing" that is designed to steal your personal information.

You should never click links in e-mail messages or respond to a message with sensitive information when you're unsure of the source. For more information, see this article.

Unsuspecting shoppers are being lured to phony Web sites and tricked into divulging their credit-card information. Your best line of defense? Knowing how to spot these on line scams. http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=5920798

Trends in spy ware: Read the Microsoft Security Intelligence Report http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=5920784

Microsoft researchers are continually studying malicious software and how to keep it from infecting systems. Read an in-depth perspective about trends in spy ware and other unwanted software in the first half of 2006.

Help protect your mobile device from viruses http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=5920785

It's fun to download photos, video clips, and ring tones to your cell phone or other mobile device. But these types of downloads can put you at risk for a mobile virus. Learn some general rules to help protect your mobile device.

How to keep others from hijacking your home wireless network http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=5920786

Some Internet attackers cruise streets with a wireless computer or other radio-enabled device to locate and break into home wireless networks. Their goal? To steal your personal information or even send out spam e-mail in your name, a practice known as wardriving. Use these tips to help protect your wireless network.

Don't put yourself at risk: Avoid counterfeit software http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=5771830

Do you know whether your Microsoft software is genuine? It matters, because if your operating system or program isn't genuine, you can't download the latest security updates, making your computer more vulnerable to attack.

Plus, if you download software from a counterfeit Web site, you could be downloading spy ware, too. Find out the risks of counterfeit software, and learn how to make sure your software is genuine.

Beware of fraudulent e-mail sent to Microsoft customers http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=5256497

If you receive an e-mail message from Microsoft asking for your credit card, do not respond. Read this article to learn about this phishing scam and others, and how to protect yourself from fraudulent e-mail.

What to do if you're a victim of fraud http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=5256498

Do you suspect that you've been the victim of a scam or other fraud? Then immediately follow these steps to minimize the damage to your identity, credit, and bank account.

Security resources

Security At Home site http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=6403517

Security Tips & Talk blog http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=6403518

RSS feed: Get security information delivered to you http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=6403519

Security video tutorials http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=6403520

Security community for home users http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=6403521

Support for your computer security issues http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=6403522

Worldwide computer security information http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=6403523

Credit:

Microsoft Corporation
1 Microsoft Way
Redmond, Washington, USA