Cold weather

Old 10-29-06, 11:07 AM
Group Moderator
Wink Cold weather

Hey, you northern folks want to keep the cold weather up there where it belongs???

Geez, I had to put a shirt on this morning to go out and get the paper!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-06, 11:24 AM
Super Moderator
Sure, would be glad to!
Just don't send us any hurricanes or alligators.

Text Forecast from Environment Canada
The Pas: Issued 11.00 AM CST Sunday 29 October 2006

Today
Cloudy with 30 percent chance of flurries. Wind northwest 20 km/h. High zero.
Tonight
Cloudy. Low minus 5.
Monday
Cloudy with sunny periods. 30 percent chance of flurries. Wind becoming northwest 20 km/h in the morning. High zero.
Tuesday
Cloudy with 60 percent chance of flurries. Low minus 7. High plus 1.
Wednesday
Cloudy with 60 percent chance of flurries. Low minus 7. High minus 3.
Thursday
Cloudy with 60 percent chance of flurries. Low minus 5. High minus 3.

Old 10-29-06, 11:34 AM
Cold weather

An additional note:

In Canada, minus 7 is 20 degrees F.

About 62 in Minnesota today. Everybody is looking for snow so they can go out and play with the big boy toys.

Dick

Old 10-29-06, 12:01 PM
Super Moderator
Ya, we are also waiting for cold weather.
We need to be able to walk on frozen water to get back into our deer hunting area...............Too much rain this fall.

Old 10-29-06, 01:42 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
That wasn't a cold front, just the first wave of snow birds arriving with a little frost left on their bumpers.

Old 10-30-06, 07:40 AM
Group Moderator
Originally Posted by the_tow_guy
I had to put a shirt on this morning to go out and get the paper!
I haven't seen any complaints from your neighbors about that!

Old 10-30-06, 08:03 AM
Tow Guy,

If it gets any cooler I'll meet you half way and we can do some Florida Ice Fishing on Lake Okeechobee.

(Florida Ice Fishing: two six packs, cooler, and 7 pounds of ice.)

DWC

Old 10-30-06, 04:34 PM
Group Moderator
Two six packs? Be an awfully short fishing day!

Old 10-31-06, 10:26 AM
Sorry. You have to bring your own.

Old 11-07-06, 11:41 AM
If it gets too cold for you guys...come and visit CA. It's 90 degrees out today. Yech.. Dunno if that's a good or bad thing, but I don't like it.

Old 11-07-06, 12:11 PM
Group Moderator
Geez, I thought I had it good because it's supposed to get above 60 tomorrow.

Old 11-07-06, 01:51 PM
Group Moderator
Wisconsin in November; if it's 60 you DO have it good!

Old 11-07-06, 02:20 PM
Group Moderator
We had a day in January a couple years ago where it got to 50 - we were out in the street partying in short sleeves.

Old 11-07-06, 06:41 PM
Colorado - Sunny, highs in the upper 50's, a foot of snow on the ground. Short sleeves and snowshoes! Ahhhhh.....

Old 11-08-06, 09:02 AM
ha, actually it's been quite nice up here...

Old 11-08-06, 09:25 AM
Originally Posted by logcabincook
Colorado - Sunny, highs in the upper 50's, a foot of snow on the ground. Short sleeves and snowshoes! Ahhhhh.....

Short sleeves??? Burrrrh! That's cold! Is that cold for you? Hmmm...short sleeves and snowshoes...that's a bad fashion statement!

Old 11-08-06, 10:44 AM
the high today is supposed to be 81! um....hello?....it's NOVEMBER!!!!!! what the heck is going on?????

Old 11-08-06, 11:09 AM
Addict, we are 8300 ft closer to the sun with zero humidity... it's warmer up here! I call it "cold" when it hits 20 ;-)

Ironically when we visit family in Texas, we are chilly at 65, the humidity makes that much of a difference.

Old 11-08-06, 06:09 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by logcabincook
Ironically when we visit family in Texas, we are chilly at 65, the humidity makes that much of a difference.
I know what you mean, I used to live/work in fla and when it got down to 50` it was just too cold to be outside. I'm convinced that 35` in the sun here in tn is a lot warmer than 55` in the shade back in fla.

btw I don't miss the humidity at all!!!

Old 11-10-06, 10:08 AM
Group Moderator
Geez! It was 71 degrees on Wednesday and now, two days later, we're digging out from under 10" of snow!

Old 12-08-06, 06:37 PM
Cold weather

Should be 45 tomorrow with sun.

The Packer/Viking barrier erected at the border seems to be working well. -
No snow (really only 0.3") this year and none on the ground. No predictiions for a white christmas, but everyone is hoping. Ski areas are making plenty of snow.

Not cold enough to get out on the lakes for ice fishing.- When I go deer hunting, I know how to cook the deer, but when I go ice fishing, how do I cook the ice???

Dick

Old 12-09-06, 10:55 AM
Group Moderator
Packers by a touchdown.

Old 12-09-06, 02:34 PM
"when I go ice fishing, how do I cook the ice???"

I never cook my ice. I just break it up in small chunks and surround it with a generous serving of a good single malt.

Old 12-09-06, 10:30 PM
Originally Posted by the_tow_guy View Post
Packers by a touchdown.
The Packer punter is from my town way up here in outback Canada. My son played against him. Thats our civic claim to fame!

Old 12-09-06, 10:42 PM
Wink

Im in the middle here in Mo. last week we had 13" of snow. The other night it go down to +1F. This snow load on the boat docks here . Flipped some and put most of the others in the water . With the boats and all. just one marine here has 175 boats in the. water. Some over 50 ft. I dont know how many more marine or under but most are here. Id say Im going back to West Palm . But the new reports say its going to be a bad bad year there for the hurricane's.Think Ill stay here and see . Its to go up to 50oF tomorrow

Old 12-10-06, 12:32 AM
Sunny Spain

Here in southern Spain (2,400 feet above sea level where we live) it´s sunny and warm in the daytime but it does get a bit chilly at night time so we light up the log burning stoves.
It did snow one day last year, but by the afternoon it had all melted.

Old 12-10-06, 10:41 AM
Where in Spain?

Old 12-10-06, 11:25 AM
Cold weather

Granada area. Take a look at his web page. Only part prettier is around Rhonda. Great country as testified by 30 years of to-infrequent visits.

Just far enough away from Marbella to avoid the European and middle east "elite".

Dick

Old 12-10-06, 02:03 PM
Group Moderator
Originally Posted by Ed Imeduc View Post
Id say Im going back to West Palm . But the new reports say its going to be a bad bad year there for the hurricane's.
That's what the experts said this year, too.

Old 12-11-06, 09:37 AM
I'll agree about Rhonda. I spent a couple of days there during one of their festivals. Awesome views. We had lunch outside at a little place under a bridge that spanned a gorge. I also agree about Marbella and T town. Best left to the Europeans. I think it's their Miami Beach.
We haven't been to Spain in 25 years but we've got it on our list for my wife's retirement trip in 2008. We were stationed in Rota in the early 70's and returned for a vacation in the early 80's. I wonder if they still have the state run Paradors?

Old 12-14-06, 01:25 AM
Yes, the state run paradors are still in operation. If you are interested this is a good website to look at

http://www.parador.es/english/index.jsp

I don´t know about Rhonda being more beautiful than Granada. Out of all the cities we have been to, the world over, Babs and I rate Granada as the top.

Although the only time I went to Toronto I went up to the observation platform at the CN Tower, came out of the lift and walked through the crowds there to find myself standing on a glass floor looking down 1,100 feet at the miniscule cars and people below. I thought that was a terrible trick to play on an unsuspecting visitor to Canada - making the floor out of glass!

It took me quite a while to recover from the shock! Of course that was in my pre-EFT days.

As a side note the weather here is still sunny and warm.

Old 12-14-06, 06:19 AM
The weather "experts" are saying we in Colorado will have an El Nino year meaning very little snow in these here foothills till February or March, when the weather system will break and we will get dumped on. Last time this happened was in '03 when we had to snowshoe over 6ft of snow to the neighbors to help them eat crab legs (power had gone out for days, we had to rescue the food!). Some folks in the next subdivision over had 10ft of snow and didn't get out for a couple weeks.That was called the blizzard of the century. Can you have two blizzards of the century in the same century?

I say bring it on. Need to test the installation warranty on these new skylights ;-)

Old 12-14-06, 06:46 AM
GStringemo - We're stil looking for our "most beautiful city". So many places, so little time (and money).

I think it's hard to compare the beauty of an isolated hill town like Rhonda to a bustling city like Granada. I have to say, that I don't know Granada well. We spent 3 days there a decade ago. While we were impressed with the Al Hambra and the Generaliffe (sp?), our hotel (Washington Irving?) really sucked so it wasn't an all around enjoyable visit. My favorite Spanish city is definitely Sevilla. Maybe because we spent so much time there, but nowhere else had the "feel" of Andalusian Spain.

I haven't visited Vancouver, but if I do, I think I'll avoid the CN tower. Quebec City and Victoria, BC rank high on my "best" list. I think Quebec may be my favorite city in the world (so far). The old part of Quebec City is as close as you can get to Europe in North America.

Old 12-17-06, 12:09 AM
Hi Wayne

I must admit, we´ve never been to Quebec, so if we did we may need to rethink which would be our favourite city.

Yes, the Washington Irving Hotel is not really all that good.

We get quite a few clients in our B & B from the States and Canada "doing Spain". I know there are plenty of exceptions, but you guys seem to take information in so quickly.

We had a couple here last year who "did" Granada in half a day and then went on to "do" Seville, and then they were off to Madrid and flying to Italy. They had allocated themselves 4 days for Italy.

Mind you, they did admit that they wouldn´t be able to see everything in so short a time.

We´ve lived here over 5 years now and we are still finding things out about Granada.

Old 12-17-06, 11:08 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
We got blown away in Washington. Lost power to almost all businesses and homes here in Port Orchard. Ran my generator for amost three days. Could not find gas for the generator for two days, traffic a mess because we had no stop lights. Went to a town 30 minutes away and the gas stations that were open were out of gas and some with block long lines. Tried to use the old siphon hose to get gas out of our cars with no success. Finaly found a station with power. Felt sorry for my neighbors, my Craftsman is so loud. Back to almost normal today but a little cold. 37 degrees at the moment. It was a good reminder that we should be ready for an emergency. A major earthquake would leave us on our own for quite some time and 10 gallons of gas will not run my generator for very long. Guess I'm done whining, could have been much worse.