Pagers

Old 11-02-06, 11:09 AM
Pagers

Do you guys have pagers (beepers)? Sorry...don't know what else to call them and I know it's retarded and old news since cells phone exists now..but...

It gets on my nerves when I answer the phone at work and then they ask for "so and so"...and if "so and so" is not here, I ask them if they'd like me to "page" "so and so". Then I can tell they have a funny look on their face and then will ask me what does that mean? -OR- they act as if they are going to hold on the phone while I am paging "so and so" as if we are in a big warehouse (which we're not) -OR- they ask me what that is! Seriously...come on.. -OR- they ask if I mean I'm transferring the call to his pager... I literally have to spend a minute or so explaining the situation and get treated like I'm a doe doe b/c I don't have some better option for them.

Last edited by DIYaddict; 11-02-06 at 01:28 PM. Reason: fixed :rolleyes:
Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-06, 11:16 AM
Group Moderator
I have a pager, but it's sitting in a drawer in the garage. I quit using it almost ten years ago when I figured out it was easier to just route calls to my cell instead of the pager and then calling in with the cell to check the message and then calling the person back. Plus, there are a lot of people out there who won't leave messages.

Is there a different way you could say this so people get a different impression of what's happening?

Old 11-02-06, 11:19 AM
Sure...I could say anything I want...got any suggestions?

Here's exactly what I say:

"He's not here right now. Would you like me to page him for you?"

Old 11-02-06, 01:10 PM
What is the situation?

Old 11-02-06, 01:33 PM
Someone will call for "Bob" and "Bob" is not here. For good "customer service" I offer to page "Bob" for them and relay a message or number...or whatever they want.

Is that what you mean?

Old 11-02-06, 02:18 PM
Group Moderator
I'd go with something like, "Bob's not in. If you would like to leave a message, I'll try to find him and have him get back to you right away."

Just remember that Dave's not here.

Old 11-02-06, 04:13 PM
tae
I like...he's due to check in soon and I could relay a message if you like.

Old 11-02-06, 04:17 PM
Good idea mitch17 ...who's Dave? Am I being a ditz again?

then again...who's "Bob"? thoughts though would be...

in reply to that...

"What do you mean you'll try to find him?" OR
"How are you going to find him?"
"Can you just give me his cell #?"

"Bob" does have a cell but we just don't pass that around so I never say he has one.

I know this all sounds funny but we honestly get these kinds of questions...

Old 11-02-06, 04:18 PM
Originally Posted by tae
I like...he's due to check in soon and I could relay a message if you like.
Ah! That might work. I'll write that one down.

Old 11-02-06, 08:21 PM
Group Moderator
"Dave's not here" is a reference to an old Cheech & Chong skit. Not worth explaining if you didn't know it already.

Old 11-02-06, 08:31 PM
Group Moderator
A simple response based in truth isn't bad - "Bob's not available, may I take a message and have him call you back?"

Old 11-03-06, 05:06 AM
Group Moderator
Some help for DIY:

http://www.lyricsdownload.com/cheech-chong-dave-lyrics.html

Very funny routine.

Old 11-03-06, 09:29 AM
personally, i don't know what "i'll page him" would mean in this day & age. you'd have to explain it to me, too!

and after reading this thread, i STILL don't know what you're actually going to do when you say you'll "page" him! ??? are you text messaging him? or what?

"paging" to me would mean you are going to put them on hold & page him through the overhead audio system to come take the call.

you definitely need to find a new phrase for whatever you're doing!!!

Old 11-03-06, 01:45 PM
Originally Posted by mitch17
A simple response based in truth isn't bad - "Bob's not available, may I take a message and have him call you back?"

This one will work for me.

Old 11-03-06, 06:30 PM
DIY

I must admit "page" confuses me because I don't know anyone that uses pagers anymore. . I usually ask what they mean when someone says they will page.

Perhaps the confusion could be eliminated if you had a different process. Calling Bob to tell him to call someone may be tying you up needlessly.

Everything depends on the nature of Bob's calls and your technology, you can probably develop a good process. Once you have the process, you will create a good response.

Virually any phone system today allows you to transfer to a cell. Callers won't know his cell number.

Or you can just text his cell from your PC and tell him to call someone.

You can usually just press the transfer key, call Bob and ask if he wants the call, if he does, you transfer, if he doesn't, you ask the caller if they would like to leave a voicemail and transfer them to Bob's office voicemail.

- or you can just do a blind transfer to Bob's cell and if he answers......great........if he doesn't it goes to cell voicemail.

- or you can just transfer directly to Bob's office Voicemail which can be configured to call (or even text Bob)

- or maybe you can have a cell by your desk and "page" Bob if your cell provider offers that feature.

Very Blah Blah response?

Old 11-03-06, 07:21 PM
Group Moderator
There's always, "I am NOT Bob's secretary!".

Old 11-03-06, 07:46 PM
Originally Posted by the_tow_guy
Some help for DIY:

http://www.lyricsdownload.com/cheech-chong-dave-lyrics.html

Very funny routine.
Thanks for that TG. Now I get it. I would have never known! Is this something EVERYONE knows except me?

You guys crack me up. Annette and mjd2k...you are NOT allowed to call my office and ask for Bob b/c i will give you the "I could page him for you" answer! I guess it's just how we work things in the office. I think having the calls forwarded is a good way to go and change things. But not my call I guess. Could make the suggestion but usually doesn't work w/people who don't like changes.

Yes, ties me up a bit but not dramatically. I actually rather have the option to "page" him and let him talk to them b/c they wouldn't like most answers I can offer them. Better for him to give them the bad or disappointing news or whatever. Unfortunately...I am somewhat his secretary. On a positive note..I do have his cell, pager and home office number and I call all those number until he answers...if not, I leave a message.

There are also those times when people/clients call and say "I tried paging him and he doesn't call back"-now what do you say? I always get stuck on that. I WOULD like to say..."He doesn't want to talk to you, don't you get the hint?" Obviously I can't.

Old 11-04-06, 05:44 AM
DIY your use of the term is correct.

The term "page" precedes pagers by at least 30 years. It had nothing to do with the electronic leash of the 80's. Many businesses, hospitals, factories etc had announcing systems that were used to "page" employees.

Old 11-04-06, 05:13 PM
Originally Posted by DIYaddict
Is this something EVERYONE knows except me?
Yup

Originally Posted by Wayne Mitchell
The term "page" precedes pagers by at least 30 years. It had nothing to do with the electronic leash of the 80's. Many businesses, hospitals, factories etc had announcing systems that were used to "page" employees.
Yup
"The first radiopaging systems were "on-site" systems, developed initially in the 1950's for use in hospitals as "doctor alert" systems, with the first installation in St Thomas' Hospital in London."

From "The History Of Paging" on Wirelessmessaging.org
http://www.wirelessmessaging.org/media/info2.0.html

Old 11-04-06, 06:51 PM
tae
>>>There are also those times when people/clients call and say "I tried paging him and he doesn't call back"-now what do you say? I always get stuck on that. I WOULD like to say..."He doesn't want to talk to you, don't you get the hint?" Obviously I can't.<<<<

Ask bob what he would like you to say. If you are his secretary, sort of, then you represent him, and he should make the call as to what you should say. you should also tell him to return the calls or it looks bad for the office, not just you and /or him.

Old 11-04-06, 08:02 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Anyone ever work in a factory or a department store with an "auto call" system. If you did, you are older than dirt - like me.
For you "kiddies", it was a series of chimes or buzzes. For example, if your code was 5-3, it would chime 5 times, pause, and then chime 3 times. This would repeat three or four times. You had to call the operator who would then switch the call to the phone you called in on. I used to hear those dings in my sleep.

Old 11-05-06, 12:59 PM
Hate to say it but I don't recall those chimes/buzzes. That's hilarious. I suppose they don't do that anymore...?

tae, I have talked to "Bob" and my bossman and we just laugh about it...no "real" solution except to keep saying or doing what we do. I'm actually quite suprised "pagers" (and the services) still exist.

Old 11-06-06, 04:00 PM
Group Moderator
Talking

You must be over 50 for sure, Goldstar; I haven't heard one of those bing, bing...bing, bing, bing, bing pagers in a department store in about 30 years (at least).

I'm reminded here about the gag where you call a business about a dozen times asking for a fictitious person and then you call AS the fictitious person and ask if you have any messages.

Old 11-06-06, 06:07 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Tow guy, you nailed me. Twentysomething mind in a sixtyeight year old body.

Old 11-07-06, 05:15 AM
Group Moderator
Originally Posted by goldstar
Twentysomething mind in a sixtyeight year old body.
You're only young once, but you can be immature all your life.