Acoustic Guitar

Old 11-02-06, 05:53 PM
Acoustic Guitar

Hi all. It's been a while since I've posted anything on this website, which sophomore year of college and all... Anyway, I had a quick question. I'm taking guitar lessons next semester and I have no idea what guitar to buy. I've been looking around, but I'm just completely clueless. I know I want an acoustic because I love the sound, but I don't know what size, or the difference with nylon/steel strings, etc and I have to get the guitar before class starts. What do you guys think? I'm only 5'2" with relatively flexible fingers and everywhere I've been seeing 38" guitars. Is that too small? Too big? Oh, the confusion!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-06, 08:23 PM
Group Moderator
Find a store that will let you play them. I took lessons at a store and we were able to take any guitar in the shop down to the lessons to see if we liked them. Found out real fast 12 string guitars are no good for picking. Once you've played around on a few and talked to someone who knows them, you'll be able to decide what's going to work best for you.

Old 11-02-06, 09:30 PM
Too, you might want to consider renting a guitar. Renting and playing to see if that's the guitar for you and if you are really going to get into learning the guitar, will give you some wiggle room.

Old 11-03-06, 09:34 AM
if the class doesn't start til next semester, you have time to contact the instructor of the class & ask him! who would know better what a good guitar would be for a beginner? he may even know a student who has one for sale or one to loan out or share or good place to get a secondhand one.......

whatever you do, spend as little as possible, if you've never played before. i took lessons when i was little and HATED it! it HURTS! hurts your fingers bad!!!

Old 11-03-06, 10:30 AM
Group Moderator
If you stick with it, you'll develop calluses on your fingertips and they'll quit hurting. Been so long now I had forgotten that it hurts at first.

Old 11-03-06, 12:36 PM
Originally Posted by mitch17
If you stick with it, you'll develop calluses on your fingertips .....
Mmm! just what every girl wants!!!!

Old 11-03-06, 02:23 PM
Group Moderator
Originally Posted by Annette
Mmm! just what every girl wants!!!!
Yeah, ok, I'm done with this thread.

Old 11-03-06, 02:31 PM
Thanks everyone for the advice. Ya, I just emailed my instructor. I'm going to check out a couple of guitar stores just to see what my fit is and then go from there. Also, I'm gonna talk to my roommate's boyfriend who plays guitar to see what he has to say.

All in all, I'm really looking forward to it! I've read all about the pain and the calluses, but I've always wanted to play and I don't mind the sacrifice .