Jay walking

Old 11-05-06, 01:03 PM
Jay walking

Just wondered if anyone new where this term came from. A guy named Jay?

I know, silly question, but my son and I saw a guy on a bike crossing the street out of no where...not using the cross walk or anything and he called it "Jay biking"

Sponsored Links
Old 11-05-06, 01:21 PM
nap
from wikipedia

Etymology
The word jaywalker is able to be traced back to 1917, though it may have been in use as early as 1900. It is generally considered to have originated in the United States, possibly from the city of Boston. It is a compound word of the words jay and walk; in this context, jay is used in the obsolete slang sense, referring to a stupid or dull person, or a rube, i.e. someone from a rural area and not familiar with "city ways". At the time, vehicles and traffic signals were a new concept, gaining popularity in the larger cities, so this term would have been used to describe newcomers who were unfamiliar with these recent developments and by extension, to ridicule people who behaved like newcomers but should have known better.

or from etymonline.com :

jay
1310, common European bird (Garrulus glandarinus), from O.Fr. gai, from L.L. gaius "a jay," probably echoic and supposedly infl. by L. Gaius, a common proper name. For other bird names from proper names, cf. martin and parrot. Applied to the N.Amer. blue jay (Cyanocitta cristata) from 1709. Applied to humans in sense of "impertinent chatterer, flashy dresser" from 1623. Jaywalker is first attested 1916 in Amer.Eng. (supposedly originally in Boston), from notion of boldness and impudence. Jayhawker is Amer.Eng., 1858, originally "freebooter, guerrilla, Kansas irregular" (esp. one who came from the North). Jay was slang for "fourth-rate, worthless" (1888) cf. a jay town.

Old 11-05-06, 04:27 PM
whoa......

Old 11-06-06, 06:02 AM
Group Moderator
Nap:

I envy the free time you must have.

Old 11-06-06, 03:05 PM
nap
Originally Posted by mitch17
Nap:

I envy the free time you must have.
free time? I don't actually have any free time, I just ignore all the things I'm supposed to be doing.

Old 11-07-06, 05:20 AM
Group Moderator
Hey, if that's what it takes to create free time....

Search this Thread