Thank God for Election Day

Old 11-07-06, 06:30 AM
Group Moderator
Thank God for Election Day

Now I can stop getting all those computer-generated campaign calls on the phone! As with a lot of laws, the national do-not-call listing, unfortunately, doesn't apply to politicians (there's a big surprise). I really can't imagine that they really accomplish anything. Does ANYBODY actually listen to those phone pitches? As soon as I realize what it is, down goes the phone. The live calls are no better, actually worse. I've answered the phone a dozen times in the last weeek or so to some political phoner asking for my late business partner. Really makes my day.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-07-06, 06:43 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
While I'm glad we have the privilege to vote and hope everyone who does vote is well informed before they do, I am especially glad that today will mark the end of all the political phone calls!!! At least until next time

Hope and pray everything is going as well as can be expected for you and your late partners family.

Old 11-07-06, 07:50 AM
Group Moderator
The really sad part is that all of the campaigning irritates me so much that it makes me want to vote for no one.

Old 11-07-06, 11:13 AM
Originally Posted by mitch17
The really sad part is that all of the campaigning irritates me so much that it makes me want to vote for no one.
sorry to disappoint you, Marksr, but that's what i did! (voted for no one). the thought of voting for the least awful person has never appealed to me.

Last edited by Annette; 11-07-06 at 12:23 PM.
Old 11-07-06, 11:52 AM
Originally Posted by the_tow_guy
I've answered the phone a dozen times in the last weeek or so to some political phoner asking for my late business partner. Really makes my day.
That sucks. I bet it zips their mouths when you tell them what happened.

Yeah...I don't listen to the whole thing. I wonder if the longer you stay on the phone listening (or pretending)...if it would cost them more...

Too bad you can't just NOT answer the phone. Glad it's over with though.

Old 11-07-06, 12:07 PM
You should live in VA

Old 11-07-06, 12:09 PM
Group Moderator
I have patients who work for telemarketing companies and they have told me that if you hang up right away, it puts you back on the list to call again. If you just set the phone down and walk away for a minute, then hang up, you get placed into a different slot in the computer and you don't get called again as soon.

Old 11-12-06, 04:40 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Saw an ad this weekend for a guy who says he is running for governor in 2007. Give me a break.
If it was up to me, I would add a " none of the above" catagory to the ballot. If it won, neither candidate could run again and two new candidates would be put on the ballot.

Old 11-12-06, 06:59 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Ya , PRETTY sad, You must hold your nose and vote for the one who will screw you the least!

Well look at the brite side ................. ummm...mmmmm...
Never mind.

Old 11-12-06, 08:26 PM
"Now I can stop getting all those computer-generated campaign calls on the phone!"

Now I'm disappointed. I thought all those messages left by Laura Bush, Rudy Guliani and Tom Ridge were for me personally.

Old 11-13-06, 07:02 AM
The news guys were referring to a particular breed of automated call they called "Robo-Calls". The intent of the calls is to annoy you. They start by mentioning the name of the candidate they DO NOT represent, and finish by identifying themselves. They hope you won't listen to the whole thing. Their hope is that you will get sick of hearing calls from that candidate and will either not vote, or will vote against that candidate "to teach them a lesson". In the examples I heard about, if you listened all the way through, you were dropped from the re-call list. If you hung up early, they called you all the more frequently.

I am really sick of all the "tricks" - I guess nobody thinks their candidate is good enough to win without them - maybe their right.

Old 11-13-06, 09:47 AM
If you get a real person, keep them on the phone as long as possible and keep changing the subject. It's pretty fun.

Old 11-13-06, 10:56 AM
Group Moderator
That automated crap is very annoying, election stuff or just routine sales stuff. I answer the phone half a dozen times a day and get the dead air on the other end of the line that tells you the computer is handing off the call to a live solicitor. When I'm busy, I hang up; if I'm not doing anything I stay on the line until the live person comes on just to make sure I waste some of THEIR time, too.

Anybody know why business phones can't be put on the do-not-call list?

Old 11-13-06, 04:00 PM
Group Moderator
Businesses can be on the do not call list, but there is a time limit and you have to keep putting your number(s) on the list. Problem is, the calls from the candidates are exempt from not being able to call rules.

Old 11-13-06, 04:49 PM
Is there ever someone live?

I remember in high school for government class we had to help w/an election (or it was for extra credit or something). I remember helping out one of the majors and doing the calls. It was pretty tough making the phone calls b/c who wants to talk or listen?

Sometimes I can bare with those that are real people and talk friendly and don't go on and on and on...and let me get in a word or 2...only b/c I remember how it felt to be on the other side and getting all the yells and hang ups.

Old 11-14-06, 04:41 AM
Group Moderator
The most frequent calls now seem to be for websites for your business. Other heavy solicitors are health insurance and business directories (this is xxxx with xxxx we're just calling to verify your company's information).

Politicians and charities are exempt from the do-not-call list, which I think is total BS; if I don't want people calling me on the phone just maybe I don't want ANYBODY I don't know not calling me.

Don't know about registering the business lines, mitch; here's
what the registry says:

14. Can I register my business phone number or a fax number?

The National Do Not Call Registry is only for personal phone numbers. Business-to-business calls and faxes are not covered by the National Do Not Call Registry.

I registered them anyway; figured it couldn't hurt

Last edited by the_tow_guy; 11-14-06 at 04:56 AM.
Old 11-14-06, 06:36 AM
Group Moderator
Maybe they've changed the rules, but we initially signed up as a business and no one seemed to care.

Old 11-15-06, 04:06 AM
Group Moderator
I don't think any red flags go up, but I have a feeling it won't stop the callers because they won't be required to scrub their lists of business numbers (I'm guessing something tips them off that it's a business line).

About ten minutes after my last post I got a caller asking for the office manager (gee, wonder what she wants). I said that's me but I never, ever buy anything over the phone so whatever you're selling I'm not interested. Her response was (predictably) that she wasn't selling anything. I was tempted to ask if she was just calling to discuss the weather, but instead said, "Well, let's see, is it health insurance, web page services, or a business directory". There was a pregnant pause on the other end of the line (aha!) and then the caller laughed out loud for a few seconds and said something to the effect she would see that I wasn't bothered again. Wow!

Old 11-15-06, 04:44 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I had to retire 6 yrs ago but still get calls and mailing pertaining to my old business. In fact my company which closed when I quit, now gets more mailings [with the exception of bills] than it did when I was working.

If I remember correctly, one of the exceptions to the 'do not call list' is anyone you've done business with [including inquiries] with in the last 2 years is exempt.

Old 11-15-06, 09:33 AM
Group Moderator
I would gladly take calls from people I've done, and do, business with; it's the cold-callers that drive me nuts. There's a glass company in the area that cold-calls asking if there is anyone in the company with a windshield that needs replacing; guess it must generate enough business for them to be doing it. I've been tempted to call them some day and ask if anyone in the office has a car that needs to be towed.

Old 11-15-06, 09:45 AM
Group Moderator
I get those windshield repair calls as well.

I also occasionally will get one where the caller just says they're calling to check on the copier. I groaned and hung up on one guy once, but he apparently didn't have the thick skin required for the job - he had to call me back to say it's not nice to hang up on people and then hung up on me.

Old 11-15-06, 04:39 PM
Group Moderator
So did you call HIM back? LOL

Old 11-15-06, 05:29 PM
If you can't say my last name when asking for me...I'm hanging up on you.

Old 11-16-06, 12:08 PM
How hard is it to say "Rapture"