Walking and sneezing

Old 11-08-06, 10:47 AM
Walking and sneezing

I saw this lady walking across the parking lot when suddenly she stopped walking and sneezed...then continued walking.

Do you guys do this? Snop to sneeze? I kinda wondered if I did that myself, but I can't recall. If so...why? We can't do 2 things at the same time?

Thought that was funny. Guess I'm easily amused

Sponsored Links
Old 11-08-06, 11:34 AM
" Do you guys do this? Snop to sneeze?"

personally, i never SNOP to sneeze..........but i probably do STOP to sneeze. just to make sure i don't run into someone or something!

but if she was older, she probably wants to make sure she doesn't fall (or have an episode of incontinence) during the sneeze.

you know you can't keep your eyes open when you sneeze, right? it's impossible.

Old 11-08-06, 11:54 AM
HA! "Snop" Yes, I meant "stop"...perhaps my nose was plugged up when I was typing.

Actually...I've attempted keeping my eyes open when I sneezed. I think it's "possible"...really! Keep trying...

Old 11-08-06, 02:45 PM
tae
There are many urban myths about sneezing and what it can do to you and although most people can't keep their eyes open when they sneeze, other people can. If you are one of these who can sneeze and keep your eyes open, then you might be more concerned with the legend that states that if you can do this unusual act that your eyes will pop out of your head. Well, no, they don't actually, otherwise if you were one of the talented eye-open sneezers, you wouldn't be reading this, would you?
Eye sockets are made from bone that aren't conncected in anyway to the nasal pasage where sneezing comes from. Plus, there are no muscles behind the eys to contract when you sneeze, so there is no real mechanisim for the eye to pop out of your head when you sneeze. Nor is it true that your heart stops or pauses when you sneeze!

"If you sneeze while driving at 70 mph, you will travel 300 feet with your eyes closed.")
Other sneeze myths:
http://www.snopes.com/science/stats/sneeze.asp

Last edited by tae; 11-08-06 at 03:06 PM.
Old 11-08-06, 02:54 PM
Group Moderator
Are you aware that about 10% of the population can make themselves sneeze if they look at the sun? By the way, I stop when I sneeze.

Old 11-08-06, 03:55 PM
tae, that's some good stuff (interesting)..hilarious too. I actually do recall sneezing one time and it felt like my rib popped. The sun thing..yep...had that happen.

hey mitch17, so why do you stop?

I'll report back next time I have to sneeze while walking.

Old 11-08-06, 05:32 PM
Group Moderator
Originally Posted by DIYaddict
hey mitch17, so why do you stop?
Not a clue. Never even thought about it until you posed the question, but realized that I do.

Old 11-08-06, 05:46 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I don't know if I stopped to sneeze when I was younger but I'm fairly certain that I do now. As Annette said, as you age you want to avoid falling but then maybe I'm just not as coordinated as I used to be

Old 11-08-06, 09:10 PM
Well....what about when you drive? You don't stop driving to sneeze do you? Plus with the "not being able to keep your eyes open while sneezing"

Old 11-08-06, 09:48 PM
tae
Talking

when driving i look way ahead and plan in my mind whats in front of me and whether i should slow down or not. 300 feet is a long way.
When I walk, i stop cause sometimes you come out of a sneeze not quite going the same way you were before. Since i work in an osha S.H.A.R.P. compliant building(just passed our second year inspection), it's a safety thing!

Snopes is one of my most favorite sites ever.

Old 11-09-06, 04:05 AM
Group Moderator
A special song for you female sneezers:

http://www.wsrz.com/cc-common/mlib/2024/05/2024_1146751886.mp3

Old 11-09-06, 09:51 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I see some people hold back their sneezes. I have always wondered if one day the backs of their heads will explode off from built up backpressure from all those held-back sneezes.

Old 11-09-06, 12:09 PM
Group Moderator
Can be a little tough on the sinuses and definitely defeats the purpose of the sneeze in the first place, but your head won't explode by stifling a sneeze.

Old 11-09-06, 06:13 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by mitch17
but your head won't explode by stifling a sneeze.

Geez, where's the fun in that

Old 11-09-06, 07:29 PM
HA!!! You guys are a crack up! Please hold back your sneeze if you are in my car! Knowing you might tend to turn your head, all the boogers will get all over the car...yeck! Have you guys ever done that before? Window rolled up...you're about to sneeze and you sneeze at the window? Ewww!....but then again...an exploded head or germs all over the car...? Hmmm...

Tow Guy...that's a great song. True info? Where did you find that? Is that Weird Al?

Old 11-10-06, 04:23 AM
Group Moderator
Not Weird Al; local morning drive time DJ, David Jones. Very talented. He and his female sidekick make up the best morning show I've ever listened to and I've heard lots of them. There's some more stuff here:

http://www.oldies108.com/pages/crew.html?page=3

and the station is streaming if you want to listen; unfortunately it would be 3-7 am your time.

Search this Thread