Self Check out

Old 11-13-06, 09:50 AM
Self Check out

Do you guys use these?

I went into Walmart the other day and used the "Self Check Out" b/c it was quicker-no one in line!

I spent $1.17 and needed $20.00 cash back...I got $21. Sweet!... At first I got confused and had to look at the receipt ha! Finally realized I got $1.00 too much. Couldn't accept the fact I got back more than I should so I went to the cashier and told her. She looked at me weird...I mean...who complains about getting too much money back?
She had to stare at the receipt too b/c she didn't understand me. She realized that particular Self Check out wasn't working right, but I think she kept it open.

I was in fact tempted to go buy something again and use that same check out to see what I would get again.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-13-06, 09:52 AM
I've been using the self check out for several years. I always love when you see someone using it with a cartfull of stuff to avoid the lines.

Old 11-13-06, 10:19 AM
I've been using them for years for grocery shopping. One third of the checkouts at our local Stop and Shop are automated. HD and Lowes have put them in their stores too. Great for groceries, less efficient for the hardware store. Tough to scan a 4'X8' sheet of plywood.

Old 11-13-06, 10:52 AM
Group Moderator
I love them, especially when I've just dashed in for a couple of items and there are long lines at the regular checkouts (and since an express checkout is "20 items or less" or some such ridiculous number).

Old 11-13-06, 12:32 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I guess I'm the oddball
While I have no problems with self serve gas and pay at the pump, I detest the self check out line. First off I prefer the personal touch dealing with a real live person. Second I always seem to get the checkout line that doesn't work right or the items I've picked won't scan It always seems to take me longer and doesn't do my blood pressure any good

My wife on the other hand uses them all the time and she rarely has any problems with it.

Old 11-13-06, 12:59 PM
i don't like them. if i'm going to have to check myself out, by golly, i want a paycheck, discount or reimbursement for my work just like the cashier would've gotten to do it for me.
it's their way of getting us to work for them for free!!! no thanks!

Old 11-13-06, 01:02 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Good point!! Annette

Old 11-13-06, 01:07 PM
Annette, so if there was one big, humongo line and no one at the self check out, and you were only buying a few things...you'd wait in line?

Old 11-13-06, 02:07 PM
I love them...it's getting behind the 80 year old I don't like. They can NEVER figure these machines out.

Old 11-13-06, 03:55 PM
Group Moderator
I never use them. There's a difference in price between full and self service gas. When they give me a discount for self check out, I'll start using it.

Old 11-13-06, 04:25 PM
tae
I always have a cart full, and it's easier to use the "full serve". if for some reason i just have 1 or 2 things, i use either, depending on the line.

Old 11-13-06, 05:19 PM
nap
i don't like them. if i'm going to have to check myself out, by golly, i want a paycheck, discount or reimbursement for my work just like the cashier would've gotten to do it for me.
it's their way of getting us to work for them for free!!! no thanks!

Now you have one person watching 6 or 8 self checks so when there is a problem, you wait in that line to get that problem remedied.

I do not use them at all. I will stand in a line for 15 minutes before going to a self check.

Now the next whine:

forced electronic check transfers. If I wanted to debit my account, I would get a debit card. The check serves a purpose that the EFT cannot.

I went to wally world and had $297 worth of food and other stuff. I handed the cashier the check. She does something and sticks a paper in front of me and says "sign this". I ask, "sign what?"

She informs me they no longer accept paper checks. All checks are converted so I tell her mine won;t be, give it back. She then tells me she won't. I tell her either give me my check back or bag the stuff so I can go. She actually refused to give me my check back. I tell her, get a CSM over here to take care of this. When the CSM comes over the cashier simply says to her "he won;t sign it".

The CSM says absolutely nothing........not a word. She signs some register record and hands me my check back, still saying not a word.

I simply take my check and leave with all the $297 worth of things setting right there. I will not go back there.

Old 11-13-06, 09:34 PM
Love them. Love ATMs, Love internet banking. Love virtually anything self serve. Saves time and still enjoy chatting to other customers in line.
I probably get at least 50 friendly people interactions a day and I don't even work anymore. I can live without talking to the occasional cashier. I'm just happy it doesn't cost more to use self serve!
Having said all that, I seldom use the pay-at-the pump option.........love to have the choice!

Old 11-14-06, 10:47 AM
Originally Posted by DIYaddict
Annette, so if there was one big, humongo line and no one at the self check out, and you were only buying a few things...you'd wait in line?
for starters, i can't remember the last time i made it out of wallyworld with only "a few things"....it's always a cartful. but IF i did only have a couple things, i'd go to the Express Lane. i will NOT check myself out until there's a discount for doing so. it's just another way of wallyworld to pay their employees less (in this case, to have fewer employees). it's a scam.

also, i'm never in that big of a hurry either.

however, i DO use my credit card and pay at the pump. but that's because it's barely work at all, much faster, & saves me steps, but mostly because i won't walk that far away from my car with my children inside.

Old 11-14-06, 04:16 PM
I probably don't write 2 checks a month. Ten years ago I probably wrote 50 a month. IMO they're a waste of time and paper and soon to be obsolete. Everybody takes debit cards now. I bank on line, and most monthly bills are automatically debited from my "checking" account. Direct deposit is also great. I don't think I've been in a bank in years. I shudder remembering the Friday afternoon lines at the bank trying to cash/deposit the old paycheck.

I use self checkout whenever possible because it saves me time and that's more valuable then whatever the store is saving by having me work for them.

Not meaning to ruffle feathers, but I hate getting behind someone writing a check to pay for their purchases. I don't care if they want to waste their time, but it also wastes mine. I'd rather swipe a card, punch in a pin and be done.

Old 11-14-06, 05:59 PM
I never use 'em. I don't own a credit card, I have a debit card because they gave me one when I opened the account but it never sees the light of day. I prefer dealing with a live person. Some day I'll be so obsolete I won't be able to function in the real world, but I don't care.

Old 11-15-06, 05:35 AM
Group Moderator
I don't have an issue with all check writers in line ahead of me, just the ones who watch the cashier ring up all of their items, give them a total and only then do they dig in their purse for the checkbook and start filling it out. The ones who have it out and filled out except for the amount until the cashier gives it to them are ok by me.

Search this Thread