Perplexed

Old 11-30-06, 12:39 PM
Group Moderator
Perplexed

Read this on a sign today:

"Help the environment - Buy a fresh cut Christmas tree."

How does chopping down a tree help the environment?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-30-06, 12:50 PM
They are bio-degradable, unlike the man made artificial junk. They require less energy consumption to grow and harvest. Disposal in my area means more free mulch at the landfill.
Fresh Christmas trees are harvested from tree farms. They were planted to be cut down and they are replaced with new plantings. Enviro friendly by my book.

Old 11-30-06, 01:02 PM
Great explanation

So...mitch17...are you going to get one?

I know the artificial trees aren't great or real or smell nice ...but to back up the folks that DO buy them...there ARE reasons for buying one.

I bought one a year or so ago b/c I lived in a condo that had a huge flight of stairs (only option). If I am correct, we weren't allowed to real Christmas trees in the trash afterwards. I wanted a tree so I "had" to buy "something" so I went to get an artificial one. I still have it but I don't use it anymore. It actually looks nice and kinda real.

Old 11-30-06, 01:15 PM
I wonder if they use a gas powered chain saw to cut them down ?

Old 11-30-06, 01:32 PM
Or if any of 'em are smoking cigs while on the job

Old 11-30-06, 02:11 PM
Group Moderator
First, DIY: Me buy a Christmas tree? I know you're joking (though my wife bought a fake tree on clearance last January).

Second, Wayne: You make a good case for the Christmas tree being environmentally neutral if cut down by a hand saw. Help the environment? I still don't see it.

Old 11-30-06, 02:29 PM
Bah, humbug. Except for Christmas dinner. Now THAT's Christmas spirit.

Old 11-30-06, 02:36 PM
Group Moderator
Basically the "paper or plastic" decision at the grocery store in a different venue. The paper bags (Christmas trees) are made from trees specifically grown and harvested for the pulp mills (display as Christmas trees). When they get tossed out they biodegrade. The plastic bags (artificial trees) are essentially a non-biodegradable petroleum product.

And our real tree came from Michigan where they apparently grow very nice trees

Old 11-30-06, 03:32 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Real trees are nice - for somebody else We used to have a 6' artificial tree, lasted 20 + yrs. Since the kids are grown and gone and the old tree [which took up too much room anyway] was about shot we got a 2' tree a few years ago - sits nicely on the buffet. My wife insists on boxing it back up but if left up to me I'd bag it and stick it in the attic to await the next season.

Old 11-30-06, 08:46 PM
We've been cutting our own trees at the same tree farm for 22 years. The farm has acres of trees grown just for that purpose. You can cut it yourself or they will cut it for you. They also mesh wrap the tree and provide hot cider while you are waiting. Chainsaws are not used, they provide a bow saw. I use my own. When the season is over I take the tree to the landfill where they are piled up with the rest of the brush and eventually ground into mulch. The mulch is free to residents.

We had an artificial tree for two years when we lived in Spain. Hated it. It was fuggly and didn't smell right. We tried a bagged and burlap tree for a couple of years planting them in the yard after the holidays, but I got tired of humping a 150 lb ball of mud in and out of the house.

Old 12-01-06, 07:44 PM
Farmed trees

These trees are replaced as they are cut down, and, in general, they grow quickly.

If we don't buy christmas trees, the farmers will go out of business, sell the land, and a housing development will be built; at least half the land will be built on or paved; the rain will run off into the sewer systems instead of into the water table; the local rivers will go into a very unhealthy cycle of dropping very low in the summer and flooding in the spring. Fish will die; those that feed on the fish will die.

There will be fewer former christmas trees to use as erosion barriers.

Our houses will not have the wonderful comforting smell of natural conifers, and we will get depressed and consume, and therefore pollute, more.

Old 12-02-06, 05:38 AM
Super Moderator
And in my area, they're recycled. You can also use them as bird feeders

Old 12-02-06, 05:53 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Here in east tenn I doubt any of the Christmas trees make it to a landfill. Most are chipped and given away as free mulch. Some are bound together and dumped in strategic spots in the local lakes to promote fish breeding.

I prefer artificial trees because they are more convenient but I'm all for anything that helps local farmers.

Old 12-02-06, 06:11 AM
I prefer an artificial tree due to the lower fire risk and it does not drop leaf/needle on the carpet. Also, an artificial tree never has a gap in its foliage. When that happens, just bend the wire branch around to re-distribute.