sawing baseball bat in half

Old 12-18-06, 03:03 PM

i'd like to make a peg rack out of a baseball bat, but i'd like the back of it to be flat, so it will hang flat against the wall. how difficult is it to cut something round in half? how would you hold it firmly while cutting it? what would you use? table saw? jig saw?

or should i not attempt it & just cut the silhouette of a bat out of a 1x3?

thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-18-06, 03:10 PM
Group Moderator
Hmm, interesting question. I think I would hot glue it to a piece of 1x6 and then rip it starting at the knob end (VERY CAREFULLY).

Hmmm, might have to go out and buy a cheap bat just to experiment.

Old 12-18-06, 03:36 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I would think that a table saw or a heavy duty band saw would be the tool to use with a good fence. The trick will be to support the part of the bat that doesn't hit the fence. TG might have a good idea of glueing it to some lumber. Practicing on a cheap bat first would also be a good idea

Old 12-18-06, 03:56 PM
Group Moderator
LOL, I was assuming she would be using a cheapo bat and not a George Brett autograph one.

My initial idea was to glue it with the 1x flat on the table, but on reflection it may come loose when you rip down the middle of where it's glued. Maybe still glue it to the board, but then stand the board on end and against the rip fence.

BTW, the proper way to "cork" a bat is to cut the end off, not rip it. We know what you're REALLY up to, Annette.

Old 12-18-06, 04:02 PM
You could first use c- clamps to hold it firmly in place while you drill holes where you will place screws-( bats are probably ash or something equally hard) , screw it down to a 2x4 with the screws off center and then rip it in a table saw - nice idea

Old 12-18-06, 04:06 PM
Group Moderator
If I had to do it, I'd make a U-shaped "sled" for it to sit in. 1x4 on bottom, then two 1x2's on each side. Since the bat has a fat end and a skinny end, you'd have to center it in the "sled" with some shims. It's like the_tow_guy's idea, but with sides and shims to keep the bat from moving. You could use either half.

Old 12-18-06, 04:09 PM
I would be worried about the glue letting loose and the bat kicking back

that plus you would need the blade pretty high .

high potential for injury

buy one pre-made

lot cheaper than a trip to the ER

Old 12-18-06, 04:15 PM
heres a few

http://www.formygrandchild.com/baseballcaprack.html

http://winningsports.com/batrack1.html

Old 12-18-06, 08:24 PM

Norm from This Old house/Yankee Workshop would spend 3 days making a jig starting with the pins inserted in each end for measuring and scribing. The cut would be perfect (at least the one you see on TV)..

Dick

Old 12-19-06, 04:58 AM
Group Moderator
Tim Taylor would hold the bat against the wall and beat it with a sledge hammer until it was half imbedded in the wall.

Old 12-19-06, 05:20 AM
while Roy Underhill would study the grain then cleve it cleanly with a froe finishing with a drawknife

Old 12-19-06, 09:34 AM
another thought

Why saw the whole bat?? why not just saw a portion of the top of the bat and a small portion from the round part of the handle.
It will lay "flat" although you will have some space between bat and base through the middle of the bat.
I would think that it may a bit safer to cut this way....just a thought from a novice DIY

Old 12-19-06, 09:57 AM
This actually might be easier than it seems - although Ive never tried it.

I would screw a piece of wood to the bottom of the knob - into the end grain. When done, you could stand the bat upright on this "stand". Let say it is 6"x6" piece of 1/2" stock.

The key would be to have the piece that you attached come flush with the widest part of the barrel. A square should help you do this.

Now the bat is square and can be run along a nice long fence. Remember you need both ends of the bat in contact with fence - since there are two points of contact to keep the bat square (the widest part of the barrel and the end of the 6x6).

My table saw is set into a 6' long work bench and I use a piece of plywood as my fence when I rip long stuff - this works great. If you dont have a nice long fence then you can add another piece of wood to the bat.

This piece would be the length of the bat and attach to the 6x6 you added to the knob, and to the fat part of the barrel. In other words it would run along the square line you created. Now, just run that part along the fence.

If you offset your screws to the fence side of the bat, you'll miss them with your blade, and have no repairs on the piece you cut off.

If your not confident as to how it will work, dont rip it dead center right away. Run it along the fence, cutting less than what you want. Youll end up shaving some of teh barrel, then hitting nothing, then part of the knob.

You can do a few passes this way and just shave off a little at a time.

Last edited by rkoudelka; 12-19-06 at 10:13 AM.
Old 12-19-06, 09:57 AM
what if, while hanging out the back of a black Dodge Ram going 70 mph down a smooth highway, i held it firmly to the road and let the concrete "sand" it in half?

thanks for the ideas..........but it looks like i'll be going with Plan C (just buying one already made)! (thanks, mango man!!!)

Old 12-19-06, 02:26 PM
Group Moderator
Originally Posted by Annette View Post
what if, while hanging out the back of a black Dodge Ram going 70 mph down a smooth highway, i held it firmly to the road and let the concrete "sand" it in half?
Oh, you have to post back and let us know how that goes!

Old 12-19-06, 03:10 PM
Group Moderator
it looks like i'll be going with Plan C (just buying one already made)! (thanks, mango man!!!)
Hey, this is doityourself.com, not buyityourself.com!!!

I like the sanding idea, but too slow. How about a firewood log splitter?

Old 12-19-06, 03:51 PM
I take it you do not have a table saw ?
Lol I just had to buy one when I got addicted to honey bees and wanted to make my own hives with scrap lumber from job sites

Old 12-20-06, 10:34 AM
log splitter! interesting.........hmm....

nope, no table saw. i have a miter saw, which comes in handy, but i don't think i could justify a table saw for this project. hey - i do have a circular saw. what if i take that & mount it upside down in my Workmate workbench? doesn't that turn it into a sort of table saw? seems kinda dangerous though. unlike the truck-down-the-highway idea.....

Old 12-20-06, 12:53 PM
Call me old fashioned, but to avoid the ER trip a hand saw would work just fine and not take very long since most of the bat is not that thick.

Old 12-20-06, 01:12 PM
what's a hand saw?

Old 12-20-06, 01:29 PM
LOL, whats a hand saw !!
yes that would make a table saw -the work mate and circular saw just as long as you have a fence to guide the material

Old 12-20-06, 02:43 PM
Talking

What, am I the only Amish person online these days. It will take you less time than turning your circular saw into a table saw. The circular saw into a table saw poses a problem I think. Someone, unless you tape it down or something, has to hold the trigger with their face fairly close to a spinning saw blade and a bat. But, if you find a helper with questionable mental powers who hasn't read this thread.... well.... YOU should be fine.

Old 12-20-06, 02:56 PM
Group Moderator
i don't think i could justify a table saw for this project.

Not that we would ever make the mistake given your screen name, Annette, but you'd never pass for a guy. I've made power tool purchases with a whole lot less justification than this worthy project!

LOL

I like Viking's idea, but I'm not sure about the effort involved in sawing 3' or so of the ash that bat's made of.

Old 12-20-06, 03:37 PM
Perhaps I'm missing something -is the helper the one to hold the trigger ?
do circular saws have a lock on the trigger to lock it on?
what a minute the Amish - strict amish that is don't use electricity but you are on the net ???? perhaps you are riding a bicycle powered gen with a lap top screwed to the handle bars ????

ASH be very hard, LOL try to drive a nail through it

Old 12-20-06, 07:20 PM
tae
just checked my bats...the barrels and ends are the same diameter. they should run a fence straight. Got a friend with a table saw? You could use a hand saw, or even buy a jigsaw for probably about the same it would cost you to buy the thing, and you would then have another tool! I also wouldn't cut it down the middle, but offset about 3/4. You want as much wood thickness as you can get.

Old 12-20-06, 08:23 PM
Group Moderator
Justification for buying a tool? You need that? Uh oh!

Old 12-21-06, 07:19 AM
careful Mitch........we've already covered Tool Purchase Justifications, remember? the thread where it was pointed out that buying more tools was comparable to buying more shoes? 'nuf said.

actually, i think i do know someone with a table saw......hmmm

Old 12-21-06, 07:52 AM
Buy a $300 joint planner and plane it down.

DWC

Old 12-21-06, 01:40 PM
You caught me. I'm not Amish, but I like the bike hook up to the generator as a good environmental and physical fitness idea. I spend half my working day in front of a computer. With that contraption I could be in the Tour de France next year and feel like I was doing my part to stop global warming.

I assumed the helper holds down the trigger on the circular saw while the saw is upside down clamped to the work bench. Given the options I think I would want to be the one pushing the bat. My circular saw, for safety reasons doesn't have a trigger lock. But a piece of wood jammed between the trigger and its guard might safe the helper.

While I still think the hand saw is the best bet despite the hard wood, I did make a fundamental error with that suggestion. I totally missed the opportunity to buy a band saw and table saw. My wife and my credit card company would think I was depressed if I started following my own advice.

Old 12-22-06, 09:15 AM
i would use my light saber.

Old 12-22-06, 09:23 AM
HA! that's too funny..........

Old 12-22-06, 07:34 PM
I still think my ideas a winner , why i could go out right now and rip one in half but alas I don't have a bat
Annette, if you were in rockville , Md. I could help you out

Old 12-28-06, 07:19 AM
The bat

lay the bat on a table and screw it to a piece of wood that is the same length. One screw at each end. Make sure the screws don't go into the bat more than a half inch. (Don't hit the screws with the blade obviously)
Put the wood against the fence and rip the bat in half. (Don't lay the wood on the table.)
I've done this and it works fine.

The only thing better than having your own tools is having a friend that has them.

Old 12-29-06, 06:38 AM
Not sure if I'm missing anything here, but I would get a piece of 1x4 and use a couple of 1 1/2 nails to secure the top part of the bat. I would then pull the bottom away from the 1x4 until the bat is parallel to the 1x4. Then use a small block of wood to secure the handle of the bat to the small piece of wood already nailed to the 1x4.

Then just set the fence on your table saw to rip the bat down the middle.
It's safe, accurate and shouldn't take you long to secure the bat to the 1x4.

That's just my 2 cents....keep the change

Old 12-29-06, 06:57 AM
wow.........you guys are really having fun with this, aren't you?! thanks for all the responses!

okay, we've established how to secure the bat in order to run it through a table saw. but IF i were to actually attempt this, i think my biggest fear is that the bat will crack or something at the narrow handle end, and also on the very end thingy (that round endcap deal that keeps the bat from flying out of your hands). it's not very thick there to begin with, and then to be whacking it in half..... any concerns with that? or am i underestimating the ability of a table saw to thinly slice something already pretty thin (like butta)?

Old 12-29-06, 07:29 AM
my biggest concern would be kickback running from thick to thin sections.

table saws can be dangerous lots of injuries ...

this is just the kind of cut that can result in a ER vist

Old 12-29-06, 10:22 AM
Group Moderator
Definitely something for someone with a lot of time spent standing over a table saw (Norm?). And I would START at the narrow end. If the fence is properly aligned there shouldn't be a problem with splitting/breaking the narrow end, the saw kerf is only 1/8".

Old 12-29-06, 11:50 AM
kerf???

Old 12-29-06, 05:50 PM
Group Moderator
Sorry:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kerf#Saw_terminology

Sure are an awful lot of people with nothing better to do than sit around and contemplate how to saw a baseball bat in half!

Old 01-01-07, 08:43 PM
Group Moderator
Sawzall! Just chuck the bat in a vise with bat sticking straight up. Slice down almost to the vice. Invert the bat 180 degree and cut up to finish. You will probably need a thin shim in the kerf when you tighten the vice for the second part of the cut.