fruitcake :P

Old 12-22-06, 09:29 AM
Thumbs down fruitcake :P

i always thought fruitcake was the worst holiday food item, until my MIL brought lime jello with pineapple chunks schmeared with cream cheese & chopped nuts to my otherwise very tasty Thanksgiving day meal.

what do you think is the most hideous holiday dish?

=======================
*** MERRY CHRISTMAS! ***
======================

Sponsored Links
Old 12-22-06, 10:35 AM
Group Moderator
Have any left???????????????

Old 12-22-06, 10:40 AM
TONS!!! thankfully she took it all with her!!! :P

Old 12-22-06, 10:42 AM
I love fruitcake...but only the cake part of it.

You guys like egg nog too? I've never tried it. Just sounds gross to drink.

Old 12-22-06, 10:43 AM
LOVE eggnog! with nutmeg sprinkled on top! MMM-M!!!

Old 12-22-06, 10:57 AM
What does it taste like? Not eggs....does it? Hmmm...perhaps something new to try this year...

Old 12-22-06, 10:58 AM
Group Moderator
ACH! ACH! ACH!

When I read your original post I couldn't think of anything, but now I know what I should have said!

Old 12-22-06, 11:02 AM
what's wrong, TG? fur ball from your humongous Tom Selleck moustache?

no, not eggs! it's thicker than milk, more like a room temperature vanilla shake with a nutmeg twang. it can be alcoholic, too, but i'm not sure i've ever even had it with booze. just straight from the carton. try it! just use a small glass. it's not something you pour a big glass of & drink with a meal. it's a little sippy thing. and don't forget the nutmeg.

what's fruitcake taste like? now THAT looks gross! like spice cake? carrot cake? bleh. what are those wierd jelly things????

Old 12-22-06, 11:31 AM
Worst is green bean casserol. I detest that stuff.

I drank way too much egg nog a few years ago with rum in it. Tastes great gowing down. But not so great coming up.

Old 12-22-06, 11:42 AM
ooooh! i agree! the onions on top are the only good thing about that! :P

Old 12-22-06, 11:47 AM
Eeeewww...thanks a lot mattison...now when I try egg nog for the first time I'll be thinking of you. It might not go down as I imagine it coming up.

Hmmm...maybe you guys haven't tried goooood green bean casserole? I LOVE green beans!

Annette...thanks for the description of egg nog (vanilla shake). Sounds really good. Have you seen those creamers w/egg nog flavor?

Old 12-22-06, 01:08 PM
Fruitcake update -

While analyzing block for the Great Pyramid in Giza, they just discovered it was actually an old fruitcake that someon did not like and tried to hide it.

Maybe they used egg nog for the mortar.

Dick

Old 12-22-06, 01:54 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I've always liked eggnog, green bean casserole too.
The only person I've ever known who likes fruitcake is my wife, but then her tastes might be suspect....... since she also likes me

Old 12-22-06, 02:36 PM
Group Moderator
Worst holiday food: Lutefisk.

Old 12-22-06, 02:48 PM
What's "Lutefisk"?

marksr: I'm glad your wife likes fruitcake If she didn't like anything...THEN you should worry.

Old 12-22-06, 04:22 PM
Whats wrong with green bean casserole ? Green beans and mushroom soup with onionrings on top - yummy

you can keep your fruit cake

Old 12-22-06, 04:33 PM
nap
OMG! It is really hard to believe that people actually eat lutefisk. I've never eaten it (and I can guarantee I never will). Just knowing how it is made is enought to make me ill.

EGG NOG: great stuff. I don't drink, so booze flavorings is enough of that part.

Actually I made eggnog (about 5 gallons of the stuff) a couple X-mas's ago to give along with cookies as gifts. Lot's of work but infinately better than the store bought pre-made stuff. (Holly Nog comes the closest though)

Careful about some of the nog. Alot of recipes make it with raw eggs (eewwww). Not palatable to me.

a site that describes lutefisk and it's origins
http://netnet.net/~pineaire/Lutefisk.html

and a pic of same:
http://www.delsjourney.com/images/close-ups/us/food/Lutefisk.jpg

green bean cassarole; wife makes it every holiday. I don;t care for it but somebody eats the stuff.

fruitcake; contrete; your post was hilarious. Although it was in jest, I do understand thought that there are only 3 actual 3 fruitcakes in existance. Nobody knows when they were actually made but it is believed to be around 1900. The have been continually re-gifted since then. Nobody has actually eaten one. I used to have one of them. It made a pretty good door stop until the dog took it out and buried it. I dug it up and re-gifted it to my in-laws.

Old 12-22-06, 05:43 PM
With the coming of the holiday season, people tend to recirculate the holiday food jokes. Many of these traditional holiday foods are deeply rooted in our culture. Some, like the green bean casserole, egg nog, and fruitcake, are what make a holiday meal special. It just wouldn't be the same for many without these dishes.

nap, perhaps you do not like lutefish (lutefisk) because you do not have a good recipe. Try the following: Soak the lutefisk. Heat oven. Place lutefisk on a board. Bake. Take out of oven. Throw away the lutefisk and eat the board.

Eggnog? Many believe it should be banned for the following reasons: Hideously fattening; leads to coronary artery disease. When "spiked" it incites the drinker to turn to more dangerous holiday beverages, including mulled wine, hard cider and schnapps. Hic!

Green bean casserole - For many it's definitely lowest on the holiday food totem pole, but it's still necessary to complete the meal. (Thanks to the marketing by Campbell's Soup & Durkee Onion folks.) I've heard that it could be used in lieu of onion plaster.

I was aware of those three fruitcakes that have been in circulation since 1900. It is a pleasure to finally meet someone who actually received one. It is also good to know that it can be used as a doorstop. I will keep that in mind just in case I ever get the gift of the cake. Simply can't believe, nap, that you had the nerve to resurrect that cake from a decent burial and pass it on to your inlaws!

Bon appetit!

Old 12-22-06, 06:52 PM
Super Moderator
Yorkshire Pudding - Double YUK!

While I don't make Prime Rib on a holiday, I make it during the holiday season and one time I thought I'd try making Yorkshire Pudding, since it sounded good. Tastes like fried grease pastry. Just awful, LOL.

Old 12-22-06, 07:27 PM
Shadeladie, you forgot to put a big blob of jelly on top to cut the grease! Ah, those drippins' are good.

Old 12-23-06, 04:15 AM
Group Moderator
Originally Posted by marksr View Post
The only person I've ever known who likes fruitcake is my wife, but then her tastes might be suspect....... since she also likes me
Did I misunderstand this or are you admitting you're a bit of a fruitcake?

Old 12-23-06, 05:51 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I sure hope you misunderstood!!!!!

Old 12-23-06, 06:14 AM
Super Moderator
Talking

Wow Twelvepole, you sure know how to whet my appetite

Old 12-23-06, 11:54 AM
WGW
Gotta love eggnog with a shot of rum!

Yorkshire pudding? we used to fight over it when we were kids, perhaps it's whats in the recipe?

Never heard of lutefish, but twelvepoles recipe sounds high in fibre.

My maw once made a turkey with dressing, accidently substituting pepper for sage...THAT was interesting!

Old 12-23-06, 01:46 PM
Super Moderator
"perhaps it's whats in the recipe?"

Could be. The first time I try something new, I always follow the recipe, then if I like it, I adjust next time. This recipe calls for adding the drippings and that made them taste just like the fat that drips from the meat. I didn't care for that at all. I could see adding some melted butter instead, to make it taste better. Talking about Prime Rib, I decided to make one tomorrow, but without the Yorkshire Pudding

Old 01-03-07, 10:23 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
The worst holiday food I ever ate is biscuits that my mom made. She accidentally used baking soda instead of baking powder. Talk about yuk, but I guess the one i forced down may have cleaned my teeth a little bit.

Old 01-03-07, 10:48 AM
what did you do with the leftover biscuits?

Old 01-03-07, 01:43 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
with a little extra mortar, they worked well when the fruitcake ran short

Old 01-16-07, 10:33 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Leftover biscuits went into the trash. the dog wouldn't touch them either, and this guy ate flour off of the floor when my mom made bread and noodles.

Search this Thread