Email Spam

Old 12-29-06, 05:20 AM
Group Moderator
Email Spam

Am I the only one getting a half dozen of these a day:

"An Alternative Energy Company ready to Blast off!!!

Company: ________________ (----)

Current Price: $1.3
Short Term Target: $3.50
Long Term Projected $10.00

Alternative energy is a Red Hot sector right now and ------ is a pioneer!
Check the news and you will see that at this very moment they are in negotiations with major Asian investors. They are also in negotiations for partnerships for development of their amazing technology.

Get in now while most investors are taking time off for the holidays! After the new year this one will be of the charts!"

Sponsored Links
Old 12-29-06, 05:41 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I think that is probably the same as what I keep getting, not always the same stock but always buy now before it goes up. I have been getting 1-3 a day but none in the last few days, sshhhh..............

My ISP offers spam and e-mail block but they always use a different address. I've probably recieved a 100 of these unwanted offers in the last few months

Did you notice they also don't have the required 'remove me from your mailing list' link?

Old 12-29-06, 07:14 AM
It is recommended that we do not respond to email spam to request removal from mailing list. This is a confirmation that you exist!

I use block sender. Some I simply delete. I do not open emails from people I do not know. Often their address or the subject line is a clue to the junk.

Old 12-29-06, 09:28 AM
Originally Posted by the_tow_guy View Post
Am I the only one getting a half dozen of these a day:
Nope....don't think you're the only special one. If anyone DOESN'T get these, please give me your email address and I will be glad to foward them to you.

twelvepole... I just realized last year I shouldn't have responded to them by clicking on that "remove me from your mailing list" after I've done it on 10 million of them! Must expalin the 20 million I get now.

Old 12-29-06, 10:16 AM
Group Moderator
Dang, and I thought I was going to get rich (and ultra virile after trying all the "male-enhancement" stuff, too), LOL. I learned the do-not-click-the-remove-me-from-the-mailing-list trick quite a while ago. I'm using mailwasher so I just kick them back without downloading/opening.

Originally Posted by DIYaddict View Post
I just realized last year I shouldn't have responded to them by clicking on that "remove me from your mailing list" after I've done it on 10 million of them! Must explain the 20 million I get now.
Guess now we all know who's keeping those guys in business.

Last edited by the_tow_guy; 12-29-06 at 10:27 AM.
Old 12-29-06, 10:52 AM
Originally Posted by the_tow_guy View Post
Guess now we all know who's keeping those guys in business.
People gotta make a livin' somehow right? I wonder how much those guys make.

Have you guys seen that 60 minutes or 20/20 (or whatever) show where those guys got caught on that email scam/spam where they say there's a billion dollars (exaggerated) in inheritance and you might be able to claim this money?...something like that. It's amazing how many people really have fallen for those and lost grips of money. It was a really good story.

Old 12-29-06, 01:42 PM
i think it's nature's way of keeping things even.......no one should have more money than sense.

Old 12-30-06, 10:14 AM
Super Moderator
I was getting tons of these a while back, in spite of a good spam filter, then they stopped for about a month and now a few are getting thru again. I know lots of other people have been getting them, too. Whoever's sending them is finding ways of avoiding the filters, if only temporarily.

Old 12-30-06, 11:01 AM
Group Moderator
My Mailwasher catches them every time and flags them so I can make them go away, but I would rather I never saw them at all. I don't mind the underlying insinuation that I need more money, it's really the "male enhancement" stuff that's annoying; as if the_tow_guy would ever need any enhancement. Puh-lease.

Old 12-30-06, 11:15 AM
Super Moderator
ROWL! And I REALLY HATE those "Bob" commercials, too.

Old 12-30-06, 03:33 PM
Tow Guy,

You shouldn't feel so bad about those male enhancers and the sort... I get them too!

Shadeladie,

Excuse my stupidity that tends to happen from time to time, but what "Bob" commercials?

Old 12-30-06, 04:56 PM
Super Moderator
DIY, maybe they don't show that commercial on the left coast, but it's for a "male natural enhancement herbal supplement" that this guy "Bob" uses and he has a forever stupid smile on his face and amazement and wonderment is on everyone else's face. A really stupid of the year commercial, IMO, LOL!

Old 12-31-06, 03:19 PM
Since I've started using Gmail, I don't get spam. Well, I get it, but gmail filters it out. Since I use the POP access method rather than webmail I never see it, which is fine with me.

Old 01-03-07, 10:28 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I have a masculine email name and I once got an eamil about breast enhancement. To quote Larry the Cable Guy, "Here's your sign!!". I get those stock ones too. I use Yahoo and when I get spam in my bulk, I transfer it to my inbox and then report it as spam. As a result I seem to be getting less spam in my email.

Old 01-03-07, 01:53 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
When I got my first pc and AOL internet I was bombarded with all kinds of stupid e-mails including the breast inhancement ones. A lot of ads for stuff for my new baby too my youngest is almost 25.

Since switching to netzero, I now get less spam a month than I did with AOL daily. Between the price and spam is there a reason people still use AOL?

Old 01-04-07, 05:33 AM
Group Moderator
Marketing & name recognition.

Old 01-27-07, 05:17 PM
I could be a trillionaire with all the rich people that die every day and some aquantence of theirs wants to send several million dollars to my bank account. (always from Nigeria or the UK)