HAPPY new year?

Old 12-29-06, 01:47 PM
HAPPY new year?

Happy New Year!!!!..........???

i have NEVER understood this. what exactly are we celebrating? is anyone TRULY happy & excited about the year turning to the next one? what am i missing?

i mean, sure, it's kinda neat to be awake and watch the clock turn to exactly 12:00 and know that the date just turned from, say, 2006 to 2007, but.....is it really an occasion to be literally "happy" about?

really........what's the big deal?

OR.....is everyone just "acting" happy, and "hootin & hollerin" because that's what they think they're supposed to do, and it's what is expected of them?

i think the latter.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-29-06, 02:26 PM
It's a day for the "happy" alcholic drinkers.

Out with the old (year), in with the new (year).

Another day for sales!

A day off!

A new year to write on our checks ("2007")

???

I dunno but I the only thing I do is TRY to stay up 'til midnight to bust out "Happy New Year" to whoever is next to me...it comes out like..."hhhhappy....new..year.......good night".

Yeah......
so....

Happy New Year Annette and everyone else!

Old 12-29-06, 02:50 PM
Group Moderator
Wow! Annette is every bit the scrooge for new years that I am for christmas! BTW, I don't understand the celebration either - I've been in bed by 9 pm the last two years and would expect this year to be similar.

Old 12-29-06, 07:18 PM
nap
Now don't you ladies think realizing you are going to be another year older is something to hoot and hollar about?

Before you answer that, think about the alternative.

Old 12-29-06, 07:51 PM
I haven't been able to keep my eyes open past ten on new years eve for so long that I can't remember the last time I did. This particular year does hold a certain degree of excitement for me though. It means this "holiday" noise is finally over and I stand some sort of chance of getting some of these reps to return my calls.

Old 12-29-06, 08:54 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Cool

I love it!! I don't know why... Usualy it's the night I go to bed the earliest.

I just can't stand the morons telling me how soon I'll be older. And yet I never grow up. I'm learning to cope anyhow.

Then I spend 3 months trying to get the year right. AAARGGGGGG!

I try to save my energy for the summer. All 2.5 months of it.

Happy New Year!!!!! (Just the same)

Old 12-29-06, 08:59 PM
tae
I like celebrating the "new year".
for pretty much all you want to know about it:
http://wilstar.com/holidays/newyear.htm

About the chinese new year: (which 2007 will be the year of the "pig")
http://www.chinapage.com/newyear.html
I especially like this part:
# What's special about the Chinese New Year in 2006?

It was a Leap Year! Unlike the western calendar, where one extra day is added in February, one whole leap month is added in a Chinese Leap Year.

Just think. If you get paid by the month, instead of working an extra day for nothing, you would get an extra month's pay !!!

This time around, the Leap Month comes after the regular 7-th Month. The "Leap Second Month" begins on August 24,2006

Old 12-30-06, 10:19 AM
Super Moderator
I think we're supposed to be celebrating a better year to come and good riddance to last year, LOL! (Sorry DIY Addict, but I still like to use the ! on occasion)
I thought I was the only one that fell asleep at 10. I can't see a reason to lose any sleep on this night, except to watch Twilight Zone reruns.

Old 12-30-06, 10:57 AM
Group Moderator
"!" annoys DIY? Oh goodee.

Happy New Year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-30-06, 03:40 PM
I must have gained about 50 years to my age b/c my brain isn't working so well lately...

"!" <<< I didn't know that annoyed me...??? But now it does.

nap! <<< whoops...

nap, as much as I think about it, I don't know what the alternative is...?

tae, that's an excellent site. Especially about the Chinese New Years since it's not on Jan 1st.

Old 12-30-06, 05:01 PM
Super Moderator
Talking

Alternative - think lying horizontally and perfectly still

! - Remember awhile back you PM'd me about a deleted post and you told me nobody uses the ! anymore. I still think about that when I use it

Old 12-30-06, 07:28 PM
nap
shadeladie has it right.

There are only two possibilities to consider when talking about getting older and that is; either you do or you don't. If you don't, there is only one reason that would prevent you from getting older.

I prefer to get older.

Old 12-31-06, 07:21 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Good point, I'll get older. But I may never grow up.

Happy New Year all. May it be good,safe and healthy.

Old 12-31-06, 09:03 AM
Well 2006 was a pretty cruddy year for us so we are happy to see the dang thing over and done with. Planning to finish the remodel and go on a nice trip in 2007, so I am looking forward to that!

Otherwise it's an excuse to call in the petsitter, head into the big city, and party with friends. And don't worry, we are not driving anywhere tonight :-D

Old 01-02-07, 10:14 AM
no one really has answered my question though.......what EXACTLY is there to celebrate? sure i'm glad to be alive, but New Years is not about us getting older......that celebration is called our birthdays. and i had a pretty good year, so i don't want to say good riddance to it. in fact, i'd like to stop time from passing (which is why i cry on all my kids' birthdays!!)! New Year's Eve is simply the day before the new year......saying "happy new year" is about as exciting to me as saying "good morning" to someone. yep, it's another new day & here we are. looks a lot like yesterday, doesn't it?!

and, don't get me wrong - i'm not really a scrooge (especially when it comes to Christmas). i just don't get it about New Years. however, i do recall thinking the year turning from 1999 to 2000 was pretty neat. i guess i just don't appreciate feeling pressured to go to some big ole' party & whooping it up all night long, or feeling like a loser for having not gone.

oh well...........hope everyone had a safe holiday!

Old 01-03-07, 06:16 PM
tae
Yeah, i dont go to parties either. just sit at home and reflect on the year. Making sure i learned from my mistakes, and my successes. The new year is a time of renewal, and hope that even better things will come. I look at it like a clean slate board. It's also so much more, but so much less. kinda zen type of thing. Can't explain it, but you know when people get it.
stopping time? how boring. you cant progress when you are standing still. New years has become a time when Everyone can stop and reflect and hope. If you had a bad year, you can hope that changes. If you had a good year, you can hope that it just gets better. i guess its simple. A set time to mark how far you have come towards your goals. Instead of mindlessly plowing the the fields and never looking up, you can stop and go wow, look how much i've done. time to take a break and celebrate my success, renew my energy, and start again, trying to do better. Not everyone has birthdays you know. just ask almost any woman I know! but we can all celebrate a New Year.

Old 01-03-07, 09:24 PM
I'm with you Annette,

Christmas has always been about traditions, friends and family fun. We go out or have people over for about 2 weeks straight.

Christmas morphs into New Years but Jan 1 was usually about partying HARD, when I was younger. Often the same Christmas crowd only with a different purpose. I don't miss those days.

Now I just want to sit around, play cards, watch a movie..whatever.

But I do make resolutions every year and generally work them. Maybe we do resolutions because its a time we're off work and can't go outside much (cold up here) so we get reflective.

Old 01-04-07, 07:29 AM
Group Moderator
I think deep down we celebrate new year's because we're all relieved that the two months of build-up to christmas are finally over and we can get back to our lives. I admit it, the rest of you that claim to like christmas are just repressing.

Old 01-04-07, 10:35 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Mitch, I couldn't agree more. When I was young I loved the Christmas season but as I started working more and more, especially in the painting business, I came to dread the end of the year. Starting in october everyone wants their painting done by thanksgiving, if that doesn't happen, have it done by Christmas and of course all the builders want to close the books on as many jobs as they can before the years end. The result is for 3 months you work a ton of overtime and get off work in time to get stuck in all the holiday traffic

After 30 yrs of this it is hard to get into the Christmas spirit - but I'm trying Always was glad for the new year to come even if I did work more new years days than I had off.

Old 01-04-07, 11:24 AM
My family celebrates it because we made it through another year, we're healthy, happy, in love , have not killed each other, and we are overjoyed about it.

That's a great reason I believe.

Old 01-04-07, 12:59 PM
Smile Fresh start

I don't stay up for the new year. But, I do celebrate it, especially this year. 2006 was one of the most challenging years of my and my family's lives. It is why I needed this site. So, I could figure out how to clean up the mess that crooked contractors left with my house. So, this year in particular, I understand why it is celebrated more then ever. It is a way to have closure and a fresh start with whatever is going on in your life.

Just my 2 cents.

Old 01-04-07, 03:39 PM
Group Moderator
Originally Posted by mattison View Post
My family celebrates it because we made it through another year, we're healthy, happy, in love , have not killed each other, and we are overjoyed about it.

That's a great reason I believe.
And the Reds have a new year for another shot at the pennant!

Old 01-04-07, 04:44 PM
A New Year to start fresh. Yup I like that. It's a day and time to say "good riddens" to everything and anything that happened in the past. Time to make a change in our inner self to start new, start fresh, start over, change our attitude, change our way of thinking, our way of doing things, make things better! When things have gone wrong with someone or in the workplace...time to start over...give them a chance, pretend nothing happened and/or forgive.

...except...you know?...I try and do this EVERY day, otherwise I'd go crazy.

Search this Thread