Do The BB Codes Work?

Old 01-02-07, 08:45 AM
Group Moderator
Do The BB Codes Work?

Is it just me or are the BB codes on these boards "broke"? Is there some setting I need to change to get them to work? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-07, 08:52 AM
it was all shut down quite awhile back for some reason

Old 01-02-07, 08:55 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
They were turned off due to some security concern. It's my understanding they will be turned back on when/if these concerns are rectified.

Old 01-02-07, 02:36 PM
Group Moderator
Security is important but it sure makes a mess of posts when people try to quote or use other BB codes. Other forums seem to manage security and BB codes. I could understand scripts or HTML but hard to see the danger of BB codes since they don't appear in the published post if they are turned on, only the HTML equivalent. Oh well can't complain about free. <G>

Old 01-02-07, 06:28 PM
Group Moderator
Don't know enough about computers to talk in any detail, but this site is the biggest DIY site on the web and apparently that makes it a target for attacks. The codes were turned off to help counter this and will be turned back on when and if it is deemed safe to do so by management.

Old 01-05-07, 07:26 PM
Group Moderator
Thanks. Maybe management needs to post in an appropriate forum for help. When you get vague statements like security with no real explanation I wonder if they just can't fix it and don't want to admit it. If they were really worried it seems they would remove the BB codes.

Not a computer expert but I'd like management to explain how codes which do not show up in the published post pose a security risk. If some codes could trigger the insertion of code in the finished post why couldn't the implementation (conversion) of those BB codes be blocked?

Yes, definitely a lot of users here but hundreds of forums out there use BB codes or equivalent.seemingly without problems. In fact I thought their use shielded forums from problems.

The very least they could do is post a notice in each forum so users understand that BB codes don't work and don't spend time trying to figure out why they don't work. Just removing the quote option would be one improvement and that should be easy, just point it at a blank (invisible) gif for the icon or set height and width attributes at 0..

Old 01-05-07, 08:08 PM
html & linkage codes

Due to security concerns we are dissabling all html codes in all forums. This includes those forums that have previously allowed html codes. You will not be able to click on any link within any forum and no member or moderator will be able to create a working link and images will not be able to be viewed.

We are sorry for this inconvenience and hope to be able to allow to some extent at some time in the future.

David

Old 01-06-07, 03:00 AM
Group Moderator
Thanks. Always good to see an answer from someone in charge. I will let the matter drop though the explanation seems to confuse HTML which is recognized by browsers and BB codes which can not be executed by browsers only converted to HTML by the forum software. This is probably only due to an effort to simplify the reply.

I would though now that I have managements ear suggest the removal of BB codes or at least hiding such things as quote buttons plus a notice in each forum regarding the BB codes.

Thank you for taking the time to reply. It's appreciated. I love your forums.

Old 01-06-07, 06:26 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by ray2047 View Post
I would though now that I have managements ear suggest the removal of BB codes or at least hiding such things as quote buttons plus a notice in each forum regarding the BB codes.
The quote feature still works

Old 01-06-07, 02:26 PM
Group Moderator
No, the quote doesn't work. You see the raw BB codes. If it worked you'd see something very different. In fact it was the failed quotes that first got me searching the forum for where to turn the option on and then trying different browsers and OSes to find why it wasn't working. But hey it's free and I can't complain about free but I think the forum operators need to get a second opinion from other techs.