Ketchup and Mustard packages

Old 01-22-07, 02:56 PM
Ketchup and Mustard packages

If Ketchup and Mustard bottles expire or have a "best if used by" date, then wouldn't it be smarter to get 'n' save the ketchup and mustard packages that you get from a fast food place? (I'm not sure mustard has a expiration date).

I just realized I probably use the ketchup bottle in my fridge ONCE a year. By the time I need to use it again...it's toast. What a waste! Right? So...wouldn't it be better...and wouldn't I (we) save more if I (we) just save those little packages from the fast food place? Yeah...I know...if you have guests it would like kinda silly...but...

AND...how come those little packages don't have an expiration date or "best if used by" date?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-07, 03:14 PM
This is what French's says: The recommended shelf life of FRENCH'SŪ Mustard is 12 months in a squeeze bottle, 18 months in glass and 6 months in a packet, from the date of manufacture.

Catsup is 2 years unopened and 6 - 8 months opened.

For more shelf-life info: http://www.timestriponline.com/shelflife/foodshelflife.htm

Note that this chart shows unopened mustards pantry shelf life at 2 years.

Old 01-22-07, 03:22 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by DIYaddict View Post
AND...how come those little packages don't have an expiration date or "best if used by" date?

The box or case that they come in probably contains that info.

Old 01-22-07, 03:41 PM
soooo...eeeeewwwwh...then we really don't know how old those packages are right? Gross! I'm tossing all this out from work. Bleh! Ummmm...so can't they get in trouble for not having those dates on the packages?

Old 01-22-07, 03:48 PM
As indicated the boxes in which the packages are shipped from the manufacturer are likely dated. These are sold usually to establishments that go through them fairly quickly. I periodically get on a cleaning binge at work and pitch the employees' packs of condiments, crackers, etc. because it seems they are always adding to the stash and never using it.

Old 01-22-07, 04:05 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by DIYaddict View Post
.so can't they get in trouble for not having those dates on the packages?

Since they are not in business to sell little packages of condiments, I don't think the same rules apply. The health inspector would be the one to give them a hard time if he found out they were using out of date food products.

Old 01-23-07, 11:02 AM
those little packets not having the expiration dates, probably falls under the "not labeled for individual sale" rule.

someone who doesn't use much ketchup/mustard (like you, DIY) might just benefit from using the little packets as you go, but at our house, we go through LOTS of ketchup! especially in the summer. hot dogs, hamburgers, corn dogs, french fries, scrambled eggs, meatloaf, etc......... not to mention that ripping open those tiny little packages & squeezing out that teensy little amount from each one, is totally annoying! actually, if we get fast food to go & bring it home, i'll toss those little packets & get out our big bottle!!!

by the way......i hate the word CATSUP!!! who's with me?????

Old 01-23-07, 03:01 PM
I agree that 'catsup' sounds a little unsavory as a sauce. (Cats!?!) Actually, ketchup is more commonly used that catsup, which was coined by the British.

"The most popular theory is that the word ketchup was derived from "koe-chiap" or "ke-tsiap" in the Amoy dialect of China, where it meant the brine of pickled fish or shellfish. Some people prefer the Malayan word "kechap" (spelled ketjap by the Dutch), which may have come from the Chinese in the first place. The Malay word means taste. And in some time in the late seventeenth century, the name and some samples might have arrived in England where it appeared in print as "catchup" in 1690 and then as "ketchup" in 1711. These names stuck with the British, who quickly appropriated them for their own pickled condiments of anchovies or oysters."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ketchup

Old 01-28-07, 07:11 PM
Sounds like a Seinfeld episode.
"What's The Deal With The Ketchup Packets ?"
I think I missed that one.

I can't keep enough Ketchup in the fridge. My kids put it on everything !!!
I ONLY put Ketchup on burgers.

Last edited by Mackey; 01-28-07 at 08:21 PM.
Old 02-25-07, 11:27 AM
As I aged, my love affair with catsup/ketchup diminished. As a kid, if I even thought it would work on a food, I tried it. Now the only thing I put ketchup on are scrambled eggs that are too dry and meatloaf. Ketchup is a lonely condiment in our house.

Mustard on the other hand finds it's way onto a myriad of food items. I used to eat it with a spoon as a kid. A habit my wife must be grateful I gave up. But the one condiment that I probably could not survive without is mayonaise. Not that white wannabe garbge called Miracle Whip, but real mayo. I don't think we have to check the expiration dates on our mayo or mustard bottles. But I probably pught to give that Heinz bottle a look.

Old 02-25-07, 04:28 PM
As mentioned by some of the previous posters, I can tell you for a fact that as the packets are not labeled for individual sale, they do not have to be marked with an expiration date, and that the boxes they come in do have to be marked with an expiration date

It also a fact that in 1981 the USDA considered re-classifying ketchup as a vegetable to save money on school lunch programs

Old 02-25-07, 08:25 PM
Whew, I lucked out, I graduated in 1981

Mustard is for men ketchup is for kids.
Mustard on hotdogs, mustard on pretzels, and so on and so on.
I even hate the smell of ketchup.

Old 02-25-07, 08:30 PM
tae
mustard is for throwing up. catsup is for flavor!!

Old 02-25-07, 08:32 PM
I mean that spicy brown mustard not that lame yellow stuff.