more whining re: bad drivers

Old 02-08-07, 10:29 AM
more whining re: bad drivers

why do people drive on the highway (2 lanes each way) in the left lane? they're not passing anyone, the left side isn't smoother than the right...so what could possibly be the reason? maybe they passed someone a while back & just forgot to get back over? no, because now i'm behind them, wanting to pass THEM, and they just stay there (forcing me to pass on the right)!!! GET OVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm hoping that one of you morons, i mean, people, is reading this & you can simply explain the perfectly good reason you're doing this. i really want to know.

could it possibly be that they truly don't know that driving in the left lane and passing on the right are wrong? how could anyone not know that???

also, what am i supposed to do in this situation? passing on the right is a traffic violation. so is riding their a$$ in hopes of them realizing they're in my way. what exactly is the correct protocol here? flashing my lights doesn't work, waving my hand in the "get over" motion doesn't work. am i really supposed to just follow them forever at their chosen speed (which is below the speed limit, of course)?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-07, 10:37 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Too bad it isn't a NASCAR sanctioned highway, you could give them the chrome horn

I don't know for sure but I think it is also illegal [in some states] to ride in the passing lane when you're not passing. Only reason I can see to hold someone up in the fast lane is if your fixing to turn - but then you wouldn't be held up long enough to get real irratated.

Old 02-08-07, 10:43 AM
it's a divided highway, so there's no turning left from the left lane.

i've tried honking, too, to no avail. so then usually, i'll decide to break the law & pass on the right. as i'm passing, i'll look over (and glare) to see who/what is operating the moronmobile. if it's a 100 year old guy, that's the end of it. but if it's anyone 60ish or younger, i'll mouth "GET OVER!!!" at them. they usually gratefully wave back (with middle finger). but then they STILL don't get over! they'll drive for miles & miles in the left lane.

it just boggles the mind...........

Old 02-08-07, 10:46 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Chrome horn = bumper

back from the days when all car bumpers were chrome plated

Old 02-08-07, 10:47 AM
they passed a law here saying you had to move aside for faster traffic .and gov JEB vetoed it

you should have heard the outcry "what I can be ticketed for driving the speed limit ? "

we have a new gov and I understand the law may get passed this time .

personally I always let people pass , let the radar cop get them ...

Old 02-08-07, 10:51 AM
I'M NOT SPEEDING!!!! they aren't even going the speed limit! i just want to pass so that i CAN go the speed limit!

see...........now, i can't believe that none of those people are here on DIY. surely one of YOU is one of THEM!!!! SHOW YOURSELF!!!!! you've got some splaining to do!!!!!

Old 02-08-07, 10:56 AM
another thing they do here is get on the interstate , go immediately to the left lane (cutting off those in the middle land and the left lane)

ride the left lane a little under the speed limit to be safe , then suddenly cut back over to the right land 1/2 mile before their exit (cutting off those in the other lanes )

Old 02-08-07, 10:56 AM
Annette! Be careful! Don't honk, don't flash your lights or look or flip a finger! That person might be crazy and might do who knows what to you. Just pretend it's your dear sweet old mom or dad that has no care in the world and can't drive fast enough.

And now, b/c I'm a moron...I mean b/c I'm a person, ...I can tell you this happens b/c some people have no care in the world, or think they own the highway and can do what they want and no one else exists!!!

BTW: It wasn't me and I'm not one of them! Actually, at times I am one of them...when my mind goes off into space while driving.

Old 02-08-07, 11:02 AM
okay.........assuming they ARE just clueless, without a care in the world, not in a hurry to get anywhere. BUT, when i'm RIGHT behind them, obviously wanting them to move over, why don't they? i mean, who doesn't know that the left lane is for PASSING??? it's just so BASIC common knowledge. and even if you never took driver's ed or anything, it's obvious from simply observing traffic, that most people drive in the right lane & passers are passing in the left lane. I WANT YOU TO MOVE OVER!!!! WHY WON'T YOU JUST MOVE OVER???????

Old 02-08-07, 11:11 AM
Annette, you have to understand some people DON'T observe! Just b/c they pass a test doesn't mean a thing. You can tail gate them and they might not even see you b/c they aren't looking in their mirrors! This is true. That's why there are accidents all the time. I was like this way back when I first drove a car. I NEVER looked in my mirrors. Not b/c I was stupid. I just didn't think about it. After millions of tickets and a few accidents, I learned my lesson and I look in all my mirrors, all the time.

so..."I won't move over b/c I don't see you"

Old 02-08-07, 11:12 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Some people live in their own world and since they rule their little world, the rules don't apply to them and they have no time for common courtesy.

Old 02-08-07, 11:43 AM
they might have astronaut diapers on and be doing some business while your trying to get by....

Old 02-08-07, 11:44 AM
ewwww! hadn't thought of that, but you know, they do have a strange look on their faces, like they're concentrating real hard on something, but not on their driving!!!

Old 02-08-07, 12:28 PM
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by mango man View Post
they might have astronaut diapers on and be doing some business while your trying to get by....
ROWL! Too funny!

Annette, I often wish I lived in a place where people were driving too slow. Everyone here drives way too fast. I could be driving way over the limit (in the right lane) and they're still passing me and they keep driving in the passing lane because they're going so fast, they're constantly passing someone! But we also have highways and biways where there is no passing lane and then I'll drive in the left lane as fast as I darn well please In PA you can pass on the right side on highways and expressways but not in turning lanes or emergency lanes. To comment on your beef, I think some people either don't have a clue it's a passing lane only or just don't care and will do what they want to do. Sometimes you can't win.

Old 02-08-07, 04:05 PM
I don't know if people are clueless or just don't care about other people.

A lady I worked with drives slow.......always. She has contempt for anyone in a hurry and gets a kick out of watching people try to pass her. "Crazy Drivers, whats their rush".

On any divided hwy I've been on, I dont' think there is a law saying you can't pass on the right but its just common sense.....isn't it?

Especially when you see "Slower traffic use right lane"

I think its just rude inconsiderate people that know what they are doing and have decided the world should be on their timetable.

I used to drive all day so I learned to relax and let it go or I'd be in a fit most of the day.

Old 02-08-07, 06:06 PM
Group Moderator
Shoes a little tight today, Annette?

Speaking of astonaut diapers, did you see where the loonie tunes astronaut babe wore some while driving to Florida to kidnap/kill the rival for her fellow astronaut's affections?

Anyway, Annette, I confess I'm occasionally a moron and drive in the left lane on certain stretches of road. For instance there is a section of US 41 between a couple of towns down here that is about 4 miles long and in both directions there are about two dozen driveways or side streets for people to pull out from or slow down to turn into (none of which have slow down/turn lanes). Since my truck gets about 9 mpg while cruising and about 4 or 5 when slowing down/speeding up, it's much more ecomonical to simply drive in the left lane (at the speed limit) and maintain a constant speed. Similarly, with a vehicle in tow if I know I have to turn left down the road a ways I start looking for room in the left lane sometimes MILES before I have to turn, becasue if I wait until the last half mile nobody, and I mean NOBODY (I'll bet mango man can confirm this) will allow you to move over.

Point well taken on the average moron who is basically clueless. They're the same ones who use their parking lights (key word "parking", DUH!) at dusk, dawn, and in the pouring rain. And make u-turns through red left turn arrows. Or right on red without slowing down (or right on red past the "No turn on red" sign). Or come to a complete stop in the left lane waiting for traffic to go by in the right lane beofre turing right. Or...well, enough of that.

Old 02-09-07, 06:40 AM
whoa..........wait a minute - parking lights? i thought they WERE to be used when it wasn't quite dark enough for the beams to be on, but you want a little "hey, here i am" signage.......no? surely they're not to be used when you're parking?!?! please........enLIGHTen me on that one, TG! (personally, i just keep the regular beams on all the time....i want to be as visible as possible!)

Old 02-16-07, 01:31 PM
Talking

I have the same gripe, especially when the road is busy and one person in front driving slowly and it looks like a caution flag at nascar with the single file line. Now if I am in the left lane on I-94 and I am already going 75 and some nutjob (usually with IL plates, sorry if you're from there) comes whippin up behind me at 90 and rides my bumber, I don't move just for the safety of others. Usually the will draft me for a few miles and when I move over go by and give me a "single digit salute" then I get right behind them and give some of their own treatment. I have anger issues

Old 02-16-07, 02:10 PM
Group Moderator
Well, let's see, parking lights are for.....PARKING (Tah-Dah). Actually I read somewhere that what they are supposed to be used for is when you are parked in a road way or words to that effect. They're also useful, of course, when you want to be seen but can't or shouldn't use your low beams. Classic example would be at a drive-in movie (I know Annette's too young to know what that is of course). Also when going through a guarded gate; saves the gate guard's eyeballs. I think you'll find it's illegal in nearly every state to actually drive down the road with only parking lights during times/weather when lights would be required. Only thing I can say about the idiots who DO drive using parking lights is at least they're better than the guys driving without any lights on at all 30 minutes past sunset (one of which almost ran into me yesterday when I couldn't see him and pulled out) or in a pouring rainstorm.

Oaf, I get that all the time, too. If I'm doing 70 mph passing a line of cars going 65 I am NOT going to speed up to 80 just to get by faster and satisfy some jerk behind me (I pass on the return salute, tho).

Last edited by the_tow_guy; 02-16-07 at 02:27 PM.
Old 02-16-07, 02:30 PM
Originally Posted by the_tow_guy

they are supposed to be used for is when you are parked in a road way
i thought that's what the HAZARD lights were for!!!!

and thanks for the flattery, but yes, i do know what a drive-in movie is! even been to a few! going to the concession stand, though, i don't much care for the gravel that gets in my SHOES......

Old 02-16-07, 02:37 PM
Group Moderator
That's what the parking lights are for; you put them on and DRIVE to the concession stand.

In Florida:

"(1) Every vehicle shall be equipped with one or more lamps which, when lighted, shall display a white or amber light visible from a distance of 1,000 feet to the front of the vehicle and a red light visible from a distance of 1,000 feet to the rear of the vehicle. The location of the lamp or lamps shall always be such that at least one lamp or combination of lamps meeting the requirements of this section is installed as near as practicable to the side of the vehicle which is closest to passing traffic.

(2) Whenever a vehicle is parked or stopped upon a roadway or shoulder adjacent thereto outside of a municipality, whether attended or unattended, during the hours between sunset and sunrise and there is insufficient light to reveal any person or object within a distance of 1,000 feet upon such highway, the vehicle so parked or stopped shall be equipped with and shall display lamps meeting the requirements of subsection (1)."

(3) Any lighted headlamps upon a parked vehicle shall be depressed or dimmed.

The emergency flashers would meet the requirement.

Old 02-16-07, 06:05 PM
Well Annette, sounds like you drive in the NJ, Pa. area because I seem to be behind the same person everyday and they're CLUELESS !!
Ever notice it's ussualy a guy wearing a hat and driving a Chrysler from the 1990's ?

It's one thing if they're slowly advancing along and at least going 5 mph over but under the speed limit or the same speed as the right lane drives me crazy too.
Sometimes it's cell phone users, and I think many of us are guilty of that at least once.

Old 02-17-07, 08:17 AM
Last night we were going waaaay slower than the speed limit in the right lane because we couldn't SEE the lane! The ENTIRE ROAD was covered in unplowed snow and the falling snow made it even harder to see (30% of 1" or less my rear! And NOAA is headquartered an hour from here!). Lo and behold here come the maniacs back from a day on the slopes or back from the bar going 70 past us. I wonder if you drive faster if you can see better?

And this is coming from "Lady Leadfoot" in her AWD Subaru with all season tires who lives in the foothills and knows perfectly well how to drive in the snow...

Stupid maniac drivers...

Old 03-08-07, 06:37 AM
Talking

Originally Posted by the_tow_guy View Post
"(1) Every vehicle shall be equipped with one or more lamps which, when lighted, shall display a white or amber light visible from a distance of 1,000 feet to the front of the vehicle and a red light visible from a distance of 1,000 feet to the rear of the vehicle.
Guess I'll have to get out a measuring tape...