More of a rant than a chat ....

Old 02-12-07, 09:09 AM
More of a rant than a chat ....

Anyone else here old enough to remember when there was no ADD (just bad behavior)? When you were a kid how many kids had asthma or peanut allergies? Autism was almost as rare as hen's teeth.

Now it seems that all of the above are raging out of control. Every kid has some sort of problem. Autism has reached epidemic numbers (1 of 150 newborns!), half the kids in my grandson's preschool eat at a nut free table (including my grandson) because they are all allergic. Other kids in school are drugged into submission because of their bad behavior (its' easier to load a kid up with Ridilin than to correct their behavior.

Many want to blame it on environmental causes, but I think we need to look elsewhere. It's all in the defintion. Autism, as an example, has been around for a long time. It is a terrible tragedy for the parents and the afflicted child, no question. However, if you can add certain behaviors to the list thast defines autism, you can artificially inflate the numbers. Now a child that acts a little different might be identified as "mildly autistic" and get added to the growing numbers. Mo' patients mean mo' money.

Allergies get the same treatment. Testing for allergies is now routine. Not so 50 years ago. Better testing methods ensure that children with adverse reactions to certain products are identified early. A peanut allergy can be frightening to a parent. After all kids with that particular allergy are gonna' die if they occupy the same zip code as a peanut. Unfortunately while the medical profession can identify that a child has a reaction to a certain compound, apparently they aren't always able to quantify what that reaction might be A peanut allergy can be frightening to a parent. After all kids with that particular allergy are gonna' die if they occupy the same zip code as a peanut, right? Most likely not, but you can't take a chance, so the sale of epi pens skyrockets.

Why bother determining why a kid is misbehaving in class. Harried teachers don't have time to deal with it and God forbid a brat kid should be disciplined in school (think of the lawsuits) so lets just drug them into a semi catatonic state and solve the problem. The drug company stock goes up, the teacher's blood pressure goes down and everybody is happy.

There is no question that there are autistic children, or that peanut allergies can be deadly. Misbehavior in school always existed we just didn't realize it was a disease that required medical treatment and lots of drugs. I just suspect that the actual numbers aren't much different than they were 50 years ago.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-07, 10:58 AM
Man, I couldn't agree more. We never heard of ADD when I was in school. It was kept in check by that big "board of education" with the row of holes in it the principle kept behind the door. After an out of control kid had to grab his ankles and get raised off the floor a few times, the behavior tended to correct itself. IMO, the blame lies mostly with the litigious society we have allowed to flourish around us and lazy parents who don't want to put the work into producing a useful member of society that is required. They tried to tell me my son was ADD and I told 'em to bag it, I'd take care of it myself. Every year, at the beginning of the school year, he, his teacher, and I would have a little sit down and, in his presence, I'd tell the teacher that, if he became a discipline problem in class, they were to shine up his jeans, call me and let me know what happened, and he'd get it again when he got home. There was no chance any of them would actually do that, but he certainly didn't need to know that. He knew it wasn't worth it to be a problem so he never was. There were the rare instances where he had issues, but he didn't deal with them in disruptive or disrespectful ways. His teachers knew they had my support so I'd get calls now and then to deal with a few things and sometimes I'd take the teachers side and sometimes his, but only after hearing both sides. He was normally at fault and we'd have to work through it, but there were a few times where I didn't see it as his fault and them he had a bull dog dad squarely in his camp so it helped him know he'd be treated fairly by dad. He grew up to be a productive member of society and a man I'm proud to know with no drugs.

Old 02-12-07, 11:40 AM
It is tempting to medicalize anything we'd rather not tackle socially. I recently had my kindergarten-aged son's hearing checked, at the advice of his teacher. He often didn't seem to hear what she was saying. Later, she suggested an eye exam, because he'd shut his eyes for long pauses or seemed to be staring at nothing. Next, I guess she'll want his leg examined, because he doesn't always walk quickly enough.

Old 02-12-07, 04:03 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by Smokey49 View Post
It was kept in check by that big "board of education" with the row of holes in it the principle kept behind the door.
I remember them I think it was used to teach respect. I didn't much like being "tutored" so I learned pretty quick I do believe today's busy society would rather label something than put forth the effort to correct it.

When I was young hardly anyone had allergies but there were a lot of folks that suffered from 'hay fever' and I never knew anyone personally that had allergies back then but it seems to be every where today. My wife was an often sickly child but was never diagnosed with allergies until she was in her 30's. I believe her asthma wouldn't be as bad today had her allergies been correctly diagnosed and treated when she was little.

Personally the only allergy I've ever suffered from is hard work, too much of it and I break out in a sweat

Old 02-14-07, 11:18 AM
Maybe it's just the older we get, the more we read, the more we know. I don't remember hearing or knowing about any of this stuff when I was a kid, but now that I'm all grown up, I hear more. More people are dying too, but I think maybe people were dying anyway when I was kid and I just didn't know it, or see it, or hear it.

marksr: It's not an allergy you have, it's a VIRUS.

Here's an email I got today:

"There is a virus being passed around electronically, orally, and by
hand.

This virus is called Worm-Overload-Recreational-Killer (WORK). If you
receive WORK from any of your colleagues, your boss, or anyone else via any
means. DO NOT TOUCH IT. This virus will wipe out your private life
completely. If you should come into contact with WORK put your jacket on
and take two good friends to the nearest grocery store. Purchase the
antidote known as

Work-Isolating-Neutralizer-Extract (WINE) or
Bothersome-Employer-Elimination-Rebooter (BEER).

Take the antidote repeatedly until WORK has been completely eliminated from
your system. You should forward this warning to 5 friends. If you do not
have 5 friends, you have already been infected and WORK is controlling your
life."

Old 02-19-07, 02:37 PM
back in my day (ha!) the "ADHD" kids were just "hyper." but that's just kids! they have ants in their pants, they don't like to sit for long, and they need breaks to go outside & run around like maniacs & blow off some steam. now they're doing away with most recesses...........yeah, there's a good idea.

Old 02-19-07, 04:38 PM
"....now they're doing away with most recesses...........yeah, there's a good idea. "

You can't let kids run around at recess. They might fall and skin a knee or God forbid, play dodgeball. Either way, that leaves the school board vulnerable to a lawsuit. Better to just drug the little buggers and keep 'em penned up inside.

Old 02-20-07, 07:26 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Have you seen on the news where they have video games now that are supposed to get the kids off the couch because they have to 'act out' whatever it is they are playing?

I believe one of the main reasons there is an obesity problem with todays children is the fact they spend their free time on the couch with the tv or pc. I couldn't imagine being a child and not running thru the woods/hills having a good time.

Old 02-20-07, 07:32 AM
reduce tv time & computer games, and bring back DAILY phys ed classes & recesses, and childhood obesity wouldn't be such a problem.

it also might help to not have soda pop machines & fast food in the school cafeteria..........but what do i know?

Old 02-20-07, 07:40 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by Annette View Post
it also might help to not have soda pop machines & fast food in the school cafeteria..........but what do i know?
Actually our local school board had considered that. I think it got voted down and instead they placed restrictions on when the kids could buy from them

Old 02-20-07, 07:43 AM
Ours took the sodas out and replaced them with fruit juices, water, and so on.

Old 02-20-07, 08:23 AM
i can't believe schools would offer any kind of "junk food" and then actually wonder why the kids are overweight. it just boggles the mind!

when i was a kid, the only foods remotely "junky" in our cafeterias were chocolate shakes and some Dolly Madison baked items at the "snack bar".

a year ago, i toured my old high school, and now the cafeteria looks very similar to the food court at our mall!

Old 02-20-07, 10:41 AM
If I could recall, when I was in elementary school, we used to have P.E. everyday. Now the kids are previliged IF they have P.E. How sad.

I love those commercials with those kids (that actually do some good!)..."Mommy, can I have some fat?"...how do the other ones go? Every time my son wants soda or candy, I just repeat the commercial, we laugh...then he gets it. j/k

As for the games, it's pretty tough getting them out and about to "run in the woods..." (as marksr would say) ha! Run through the woods? That sounds dangerous. I think part of not letting kids "run through the woods" is b/c it's not safe out there anymore.

Games (handhelds, computer, etc.) should be banned and illegal!!!

Old 03-07-07, 12:49 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I was diagnosed with Autism back when i was 4 0r 5 '78 or '79. I couldn't talk until I as 5. I am not being medicated for it and it makes remmbering stuff and complicated thinking kinda awkward. Such a joy to be one of the 40 million Americans without health insurance.