When someone asks...

Old 02-20-07, 12:47 PM
When someone asks...

...where were you born?

Do you state what city you were brought up from? Or, do you state what city the hospital was in <<<----as sometimes the hospital you were born in is not the same city.

...where are you from?

Do you state your nationality? Or, do you state where you were born?

...where do you work?

Do you state WHAT you do? Position? Company? City you work in?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-07, 01:27 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
It all depends on how much info I wish to provide whoever is asking.

Old 02-20-07, 04:43 PM
Group Moderator
Also depends on the context - how much does the person already know, what prompted the question,....

My curiosity is piqued - what made you ask?

Old 02-20-07, 05:24 PM
Super Moderator
It would depend on who's asking, also. The better I know them or getting to know them, the more specific I would be and if I didn't know them well, I'd ask them "Why?" or give the most generalized answer.
To be more specific, I'd answer to where I was born - state or city, wouldn't mention where I was brought up or what hospital.
Where am I from - state or city, not nationality.
Where do I work - company, unless a secret, and the city if asked. I wouldn't say what I did or position, unless asked.

Old 02-20-07, 07:18 PM
I'm just talking "in general".

For instance,

"Where were you born?"

This would be part of some password, security question question online.

I guess not in general too. Maybe in a light conversation w/someone who isn't a friend, but isn't a stranger either and they're just curious to know more about you in a way...

I dunno, but I've been asked these types of questions before and kinda wonder they really mean and what do they really want to know. It just sounds dumb to ask "What do you mean?".

Why would it depend on who's asking? (Just outta curiosity). Is it too personal to be personal? I mean these types of questions aren't really THAT personal are they?

Old 02-20-07, 08:31 PM
Please forgive me if I'm out of line here, but this sounds like you're talking on line dating. If so, I'd tell 'em, "no details for a while" and see what happens. One of my brothers was telling me some really wild stories of how phony people on those things sometimes are and he learned not to give many details until he felt he was dealing with a sane person. Again, if I've hit a nerve or am way off base, I apologize.

Old 02-20-07, 08:43 PM
Wink

Id say its more in where you are at the time. Like if out of the country and they are from the US. Most will just say the city that they are from.

Old 02-21-07, 07:38 AM
I would just say the state and if they ask what i do i would just say..."not much"

Old 02-21-07, 08:09 AM
Group Moderator
The all-purpose answer, "None of your **** business"?

Just kidding.

In Florida, "Where are you from?" means what state did you come from since nobody is actually born in Florida. Florida has been "home" to me for over 40 years, even though I was born in Milwaukee, so the question usually involves more than a one-word answer.

I'm thinking DIY's interrogators are inquiring of her cultural background.

BTW, how many generations of your family have to have lived in the USA before you're considered a "native" American?

Old 02-21-07, 09:02 AM
In Colorado the question is "are you a native?" because the answer is likely no, but asking makes the receiver feel special (natives are a rare breed). "Where are you from?" likely results in an explaination of all the various places someone has lived. As for me such a question would be answered with four completely different locations, but I am sure to tell folks I've been in Colorado on and off for over 20 years so they don't think I'm one of the new transplants ;-)

Old 02-21-07, 09:17 AM
Smokey! ROTFLM*O!!!! Not offended, but that is NOT what it is. NO way would I do that nor encourage anyone to do that. It's ridiculous and scary...IMO.

tow guy, no one is actually born in Florida? Also, what exactly is "native" American in dummy terms?

Old 02-21-07, 09:55 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by DIYaddict View Post
no one is actually born in Florida?

Actually my sons were but I moved them to tenn. about 16 yrs ago

I lived/worked in fla. about 15 yrs or so and probably knew more people that were from somewhere else than those born in fla.

Old 02-21-07, 10:07 AM
Group Moderator
tow guy, no one is actually born in Florida? Also, what exactly is "native" American in dummy terms?
Well, okay, our son was born here, but there aren't many like him.

"Native American" is the term used on various forms, etc to denote those of American Indian decent rather than someone who is merely "native" to America, i.e. born here. As I recall, several thousand years ago the Native American's ancestors traveled from Asia into Alaska and eventually populated the continent, so theoretically none of them are "native" either.

And I knew DIY wasn't doing on-line dating; she spends all her time HERE.

Old 02-21-07, 12:21 PM
It Depends Why They Are Asking

I suspect the responses, at least to the first two, would be somewhat influenced by certain things about the person being asked

I say this because when people hear strange names or accents, or see someone physically different, they ask questions to find out different things about the person they are asking
...not always in a good way, or a smart way, but nonetheless they are trying to find things out

I have a friend with a very "exotic" sounding first and last name
(ie: not John Smith)
He gets asked where he is from for a very different reason
It's his first name
He is obviously an American young man in all respects, but when hearing that name people can't help but ask (and btw, it is sort of rude)
"Where are you from?"
Invariably straight-faced, knowing what will happen next, he states his small American hometown
"No, what nationality are you?" they will ask
"American"
"No, what I meant was, where is your family from?"
He will tell them the name of the very American city his family lived in before moving to his hometown
"No, I meant what's your family's nationality?"
"American"
And so on....

Old 02-21-07, 12:30 PM
Myself

Myself, I'm obviously of the Caucasian persuasion
I don't get asked much where I was born
I think that may be a visual thing
My first name is very Anglo/American
My last name is not immediately unidentifiable, but could be Polish or Slavic or Russian etc..
If I do get asked, it's probably for identification purposes
I'll say City, State

If I'm getting asked where I'm from, that's probably an accent thing
I get asked that a lot, as I don't have the accent a lot of my neighbors have
My family is from the area, but I grew up in another state
I'll say the state where I grew up

For work, people around here seem to ask "what do you do", not "where do you work"
Maybe it's a local thing, there's no big huge employers out here (we're pretty much an island), lot's of small cottage industries, and former and present Politicians and CEOs in huge houses
But anyway, that's easy, I tell them what I do

Old 02-21-07, 01:12 PM
Wink

Well, okay, our son was born here, but there aren't many like him.

Hay he is a CRACKER then

Old 02-21-07, 06:39 PM
I guess city and state. Being ABC you probably get that question more often than many other people. It is small talk, so I'd guess the question is not out of line.

Old 02-21-07, 08:54 PM
"ROTFLM*O" What the heck is that? Now be nice, I just learned what LOL was.

Old 02-22-07, 12:32 AM
No one has ever asked me that without a whole lot of context around it but I was born in Moose Jaw.

Old 02-22-07, 04:53 AM
Group Moderator
Originally Posted by Smokey49 View Post
"ROTFLM*O" What the heck is that?
Rolling On The Floor Laughing My [*=shortened form of reference to anal orifice] Off.

Here's a primer for you, Smokey:

http://www.missingkids.com/adcouncil/pdf/lingo/onlinelingo.pdf

Old 02-22-07, 06:57 AM
Group Moderator
The "where are you from?" question is especially tough for guys like Tow Guy and me who haved moved all over the place with military PCS. I'm still not sure where I'm from.

Old 02-22-07, 09:24 AM
Originally Posted by DIYaddict
I've been asked these types of questions before and kinda wonder they really mean and what do they really want to know.
you know darn good & well WHY they're asking YOU that. (the same reasons *I* asked you all about that!!!) they're just interested in hearing about where you (or your parents or grandparents) are from, how long you've lived here, etc. To a plain ole' "born & raised here" American, you're exotic!!! fascinating & interesting!! all they really want to hear is that you were born here, but your parents came here from ____. you don't even have to tell them that much, but that's all they really want to know. they'll be fairly disappointed that you haven't actually lived in ____, cuz then they could've asked you all about that! they're just trying to match up the way you look to a country they think you could've come from. that's all.

of course they don't want to know the HOSPITAL!!!!

Old 02-22-07, 10:49 PM
Talking

...I was born in a hospital because I wanted to be close to Mom!!

Old 02-22-07, 11:23 PM
Tow guy - Thanks, I think. My word, it's a whole new language! I had no idea.

Old 02-23-07, 03:34 AM
Group Moderator
FWIW, I've never seen/used about 90% of the stuff on the list.

Old 02-23-07, 06:23 AM
When someone asks...

I answer with the hospital, city, county, state and country.

Because I am an amateur genealogist, it just comes by habit. I get so accustomed to doing searchs for people that these are the necessary items. The tough thing is getting the mother's maiden name.

I am not ashamed and all that information can be found anywhere very easily in 10 or 15 minutes if you have a few clues.

Dick

Old 03-07-07, 12:59 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I was born and raised in Connectitax but speak with a kinda Southern accent because I do try to speak slowly because with my autism i sound kinda like an auctioneer on speed if I talk at normal speed.

Old 03-07-07, 01:47 PM
If out of Country, I'd reply I'm from the US, if I'm out of State I'd reply that I was borned in Florida, if in state I'd reply that I was born in Tampa.

That's right Tow Guy - I'm a Florida Native - there are a few of us.