Incandescents to be banned

Old 02-22-07, 05:25 AM

Was just curious how everyone was feeling about the real possibility that incandescent bulbs will be banned all over the place within the next 5-10 years?

Australia is doing it, there is a bill in California now to do it.

I converted to compact fluorescents years ago so it won't bother me at all, but I know some people love incandescents for some reason.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-07, 05:44 AM
Bulbs

Is there such a thing as a 3-way compact fluorescent?

Old 02-22-07, 05:47 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Conservation is a personal thing. You can't legislate it, and you certainly can't enforce it. How would you like to be a cop called in to investigate the use of incandescent bulbs? What code would you assign to it?
What is to stop people from buying regular or 3 way (Like wirepuller said), from ebay or out of state and using them covertly.
I can't get political on the forum, but I have my own ideas as to who is behind it all, and they just don't have a life.

Old 02-22-07, 05:59 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by Wirepuller38 View Post
Is there such a thing as a 3-way compact fluorescent?
Yes, I have them in 2 lamps.

Old 02-22-07, 06:44 AM
Flourescent lights have their purpose. I have them in my shop, my attic and my basement. They provide utilitarian light while using less energy than an incandescent. I have no problem with them being mandated for business and other public places (except maybe a bar).

Residential lighting is a different animal though. Lighting in the home provides more than illumination. It can be used for ambience and to set a mood. Something that so far CF's are unable to do.

Just another example of big brother government running amok. Of course taxes will have to be raised to pay for the light bulb police that will be banging on your door at midnight to check your bulbs.

Old 02-22-07, 06:54 AM
Group Moderator
Can't see this kind of legislation getting passed in this country. I have quite a few CFLs in my house, but I don't like them in places where the light is often only turned on for a few seconds at a time, due to the delay in both coming on and getting to full luminescence.. I use them in fixtures that are usually left on for long periods of time.

Old 02-22-07, 12:29 PM
How would you fit a CFL into the low voltage halogen fixture? I don't think it will ever happen. Special dimmers are required if the CFL could even be dimmed. Too many problems with legislating NO incandecent lamps.

Old 02-22-07, 12:50 PM
Can't legislate

It's true. The law can't save the environment. Think about the great job laws do to stop the flow of drugs. But unlike drugs, I suppose you can ban the manufacture of them. Sure it would create a black market on ebay, but who really wants to get in a bidding war over lightbulbs?

I think the move makes sense because it will ultimately save power on a grand scale. Everybody wants less dependecy on resources from certain "volatile" parts of the world, this is one way. Light is light, whatever it looks like it is still better than darkness. People had to get used to electricity in the first place over 100 years ago, they can get used to smarter electricity.

Old 02-22-07, 01:11 PM
Not likely to be banned anytime soon
Well, I hope not
We still can't get rid of the CFs when they burn out

Those Compact Florescences are filled with Mercury, and are a hazardous waste
Seriously, you're not supposed to put them in the garbage, they are a hazard to the garbage pickup people (as they tend to break)

It'd be nice if the manufacturers and the retailers would set up a system to recycle them, but there's been no public outcry, and no government mandate, so they just let it be

Often even local haz-waste/recycle personel don't know what to do with them, they haven't "been instructed" so they don't know

Bottom line is, and your state DEP will back me up on this, don't throw them away
If your local recycling or haz-mat disposal center does not have the facilties to recycle them, and no local retailer will collect them for recycling (it's not a law yet), then carefully pack them and save them until they can be properly recycled/disposed of

Thank You!

Last edited by slickshift; 02-22-07 at 01:22 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 02-22-07, 01:17 PM
I personally wouldn't mind if it's supposed to help. No real big deal. Only deal would be that I would have to repaint my walls as those energy saving swirly ugly bulbs make my walls look pink! Yeah...so...I'd just be unhappy b/c I'd have to repaint my walls.

I bought those swirly ones before b/c I wanted to conserve, but after realizing the color on my walls was the effect of the bulb...I changed it to the incandescent ones. I didn't realize there's such a difference.

Old 02-22-07, 03:17 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by DIYaddict View Post
No real big deal.
Ya, as long as you don't swat a bug with a box of the more expensive fluorescents

Old 02-22-07, 03:23 PM
can't legislate

Mitch17, don't put anything past this current bunch...in power.
I can't get into it further without this becoming a partisan political rant post
Which is against the rules

Last edited by slickshift; 02-23-07 at 03:58 AM. Reason: partisan political rant
Old 02-22-07, 04:09 PM
marksr...

HA!

...and for those of you who have no clue to what marksr is talking about:

http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=284196

That was supposed to be non-interactive!

Old 02-22-07, 08:04 PM
No worries!

I think power saving light bulbs are a dumb idea

Love lee

Hey slick, You should have deleted the whole post.

It makes less sence now. And makes me look like I don't take conservation seriously. And I do.

But thanks for protecting us.

*Sorry lee, it was hard to read and get your point
I didn't mean to alter your meaning
-slick

Last edited by slickshift; 02-23-07 at 03:54 PM. Reason: hard to read nonesensical blather
Old 02-22-07, 09:32 PM
Come on guys. Use some self control. The subject is lighting.

I don't think you'll ever see incandescent lighting banned entirely. I don't think California or Australia will do it either. You might see them banned in certain limited applications (such as the kitchen ceiling), but not a universal ban.

Old 02-23-07, 01:59 AM
I dont like them

I replaced my entire house with them and here is what I found out. My bathrooms have a fixture that takes four bulbs in a row I have two fixtures for a total of eight bulbs. I put the globe type in then for looks. They say 7 years life span (not) They go out in about 6 months one at a time. I can get them to come back on by tapping the bulb but they go off agian in about a min.
Not only that when they are cold they are not bright till they have been on a min or two.
Trying to save electricty here but I am not sure I am saving money as the cost of the bulbs is quite a bit.

Old 02-23-07, 08:56 AM
Obviously they could, if they wanted to, ban incandescent lights. All they have to do is make it illegal for them to be sold. They would not have to inspect houses, they would not have to enforce this at all at the consumer level.

I agree with John that this probably won't happen, at least any time soon. Byt the time it does happen we will be using something else for lighting anyway.

Old 02-23-07, 03:49 PM
Banned no.

Conservation mandates.. YES. shortly I think the USA and others will adopt codes for occupancy sensors and timers, as stated there will be limited uses allowed for the incandescent lamps.

But now they open up the resistive heat issue, remove electric baseboards.
Go with hydronics etc...

Could something like this be retroactive? Then what to do with all the existing
situations? And enforcement?

Old 02-24-07, 01:47 PM
The ban is universal, the exceptions are oven lights and medical uses.
As noted, no 'bulb police' needed, it will simply be illegal to import or sell them. Existing supplies will be exhausted and retailers won't be able to buy more.
I don't see a big black market for light bulbs...

Cuba has already outlawed incandescents entirely.

The Australian ban is in effect, incandescents will no longer be available in that country after 2009.

California isn't far behind.

I switched to CF's over 2 years ago and haven't had to replaced a bulb yet.

Old 02-24-07, 01:55 PM
Well I'm stocking up on Reveals then
DIYaddict, you buy all of them in the left half of the country, I'll take the right

Better stock up on freshwater fish too
With no place to safely dispose/recycle the CFs, they'll be leaching mercury into ponds like mad

Remember the MTHB fuel additive required by law?
Poisoned the ground water for large areas around gas stations
That didn't last too long
Just long enough for some people to get sick

Old 02-24-07, 04:58 PM
"Cuba has already outlawed incandescents entirely."

Now there's a leader to follow.
If the country was truely interested in the reducing dependency on fossil fuels, there would be more alternative fuel plants. Light bulbs isn't the answer.

Numbers like $8B in energy savings (somebody's SWAG) by eliminating incandescents, sound impressive until you look at the total energy bill.

My water heater probably uses more power than my incandescent bulbs. Is that next?

Old 02-24-07, 07:05 PM
I just want to thank all the liberals out there for trying to save this beautiful planet we call home. JUST KIDDING It will be a cold day in h3ll when someone tells me the kind of light bulbs to use. I do use fluorescent bulbs in most of my fixtures but it's by my choice. If someone wants to drive a Prius and eat tofu to save the world more power to them. But if I want to drive my Excursion or my F-250 80mph down the highway with the A/C cranking and the windows down it's my choice.

Old 02-24-07, 10:24 PM
I already use CFL's throughout most of my house, except in the chandelier in the dining room, and my outdoor floodlights. They do save me money by reducing power usage and heat load in the summertime.
On the other hand...
I have a small collection of vintage streetlights & gas station lights, and they would look stupid with a CFL in them. Those have clear incandescent lamps in them, as they should. No CFL can accurately duplicate the color and "point source" light from a filament, which is needed for proper optical characteristics in a glass refractor.
Of course, I am all for saving energy, but I am not in favor of someone telling me I have no choice!

Old 03-07-07, 05:58 PM
Incandescent Vs. Fluorescent

People will find away to get their hands on incandescent's somehow.
plus, what about all those decorator series incandescents?
I don't think it will be too pretty with those large compact fluorescents in the chandelier.

Old 03-08-07, 11:24 AM
i hate fluorescent bulbs, but if they stop making the incandescents, surely they'd find a way to make the fluorescents give off a warmer light, right? color the glass yellow or pink or something? and they'd figure out a way/system to dispose of them.

i think doing away with most of the incandescents to save energy is a great idea. we can work around the other problems.

Old 03-08-07, 03:40 PM
Well....If those LED bulbs would get a lot cheaper, I'd buy them. LEDs really do last forever.

Has anyone seen the c/f that give off a bluish light? I like them better than the regular yellowish/pinkish kind.

Old 03-08-07, 03:56 PM
not that hot

I dont really like them they sometimes fail too fast. The worst are the ones for the vanity big globe looking things but with an other bulb inside. I can hear things rattling around inside when I shake it.
For the cost they should last the 7 years like it says on the box.Maybe they last 7 years if you leave it on 24/7 I dont know. Maybe a other brand like GE would last longer.

Old 03-08-07, 04:14 PM
Originally Posted by chandler View Post
Conservation is a personal thing. You can't legislate it, and you certainly can't enforce it. How would you like to be a cop called in to investigate the use of incandescent bulbs? What code would you assign to it?
What is to stop people from buying regular or 3 way (Like wirepuller said), from ebay or out of state and using them covertly.
I can't get political on the forum, but I have my own ideas as to who is behind it all, and they just don't have a life.

Chandler,

How about this: Locally we have laws regarding recycling and big fines if you don't recycle/properly. Yet, every dumpster I go in (I go in a college dumpsters) I see beer bottles, cans, paper, cardboard. It's hopeless. The police could be out there 24/7 trying to enfoirce this. And with CFL's it will be more of the same.

Old 04-27-07, 04:43 AM
Thought I would follow up on this..

You can now add Canada to the list, banned for sale by 2012.
Home Depot (the largest retailer of light bulbs in Canada) will stop selling incandescent bulbs by 2011.

Now the EU is considering it, and that covers quite a few countries.

Old 04-29-07, 06:14 PM
Great
A few years from now all the mercury will be contaminating the water supply just like the great MTBE gasoline additive Gov't mandate a few years ago
That was fun

Old 04-30-07, 09:16 AM
Super Moderator
What will happen to the fancy type bulbs? I have a couple of chandeliers that use those bulbs that look like flames and I have a few ceiling fans that use the small, clear fan bulbs. I can't imagine having to put those ugly florescent, twirly looking bulbs in them, LOL. What about 3-way bulbs? I like to use them in regular lamps. I'm not much liking this at all

Old 04-30-07, 09:35 AM
If anyone has a question as to whether that the ban can happen, I would think perhaps you might consider the ban on freon.

You might consider automotive emissions standards. Is emissions testing still mandadted? I know in Michigan it was dropped, and I recall studies that it didn't make a difference.

Consider that the payback period for a 100 W incandescent bulb that runs 24 hours which is replaced by a CF bulb of 26 watts is about 2 months. You don't run your bulbs 24 hours? You only run some bulbs 4 hours in the evening? That would mean it would take a year to recover the capital expense, and after that you'll see your electric bill lowered by 80 cents per bulb.

Or maybe you do run a bulb 24 hours a day. Maybe you don't need it while you sleep or it's daylight out, you can start running it 4 hours a day, see your electric bill go down by $4 per month and not have to spend anything.

But here's the real question: How many lightbulbs do you run 4 hours a day? And will that number times $.80 really be something you'll notice on your electric bill? And if not, then what does it mean? We've saved a couple chunks of coal, but still burned through an entire 100 ton hopper anyway?

Ultimately, I think the environmental impact of electricity generation is dubious, and if there is a more clear-cut goal that is worth pursuing, it's reducing dependence on foreign sources of energy... But there again, electricity generation is made, in the U.S., primarily by burning domestic coal, correct me if I'm wrong. So towards the goal of foreign energy dependence, trying to reduce electric consumption is... for lack of better phrasing, a means of dimineshed effectiveness towards the stated ends.

Old 04-30-07, 01:41 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
" What about 3-way bulbs? "

They make 3 way compact fluorescents, I have them in 2 lamps in my living rm.
I'm all for anything that lowers my electric bill but I'm not convinced that using all CF will make much of a difference.

Old 04-30-07, 03:56 PM
I use 13 watt CF (60 watt equivalent) bulbs in my outdoor lights. The front lights (3 of them) are photocell controlled so they probably average about 12 hours a night on time. It has lowered my electric bills about $4.00 a month.

I think that is a pretty good return for bulbs that cost me about a buck apiece. They last aboout 2 years (I just replaced one the other day) and I buy them when they are on special and with a discount coupon from the utility.

Still, I think that a "ban" of incandescents is ludicrous.

Old 05-01-07, 05:16 AM
My electric bill varies, so I'm not going to see a difference in replacing a few light bulbs (all mine are already CFL's). I do know that they don't burn out as often due to thermal shock or voltage spikes. I haven't replaced a single bulb in the over 2 years (almost 3) since I got this place.

If you think the curly bulbs are all that are available, you haven't shopped for CFL's lately. As they make the small base lamps, the little round ones for fans and vanity's, dimmables, three-ways, etc.

Using Will's example, lets say each incandescent I replaced with a CFL saved me 80 cents a month.. times the number of bulbs in my home.. times the number of homes in the US.. plus the number of homes in Canada, Australia.. all the European Union... now you are getting the idea.

Me recycling a coke can, no big deal.. all the nearly 300 MILLION Americans recycling a coke can.. now it's a big deal.

It sounds like the politicians and celebrities.. oh, save energy, conserve.. oh no no.. not ME.. I mean YOU.. I'm still going to drive my 8 mph SUV, fly my private jet and keep my 20 room mansion with 7 bathrooms that costs more to heat and cool a month than most people make.

Old 05-01-07, 02:47 PM
Smile better stock up

I guess I better stock up and I can make a killing on EBay under vintage light bulbs. Kind of like freon R-12.

Old 05-03-07, 12:03 PM

I think Cfs are a great idea, but not really a new one.

They save energy and are more economical. It is also a chance for the U.S. to catch up with the rest of the developed world. The only drawback is the disposal, but that has existed for many years with all the 2' and 4' flourescents we toss away every year. It is entirely managable.

The total energy saving are very substantial and occur during the peak energy demand periods, so few power planr may be required (or postponed at least).

The supposed "color objection" can be solved as soon as there is a U.S. demand. I have seen manyy different tints in other counties. They do it with tubes every day in the U.S.

The initial cost is minimal and the life makes them cheaper. If the average person would drink gasoline instead of the inferior bottled water, he could save 75%. - Seriously, he/she could save 1000% or enough to buy several bulbs a day. - That points out what we think about costs.

Dick

Old 05-03-07, 12:24 PM
"The only drawback is the disposal, but that has existed for many years with all the 2' and 4' flourescents we toss away every year. It is entirely managable."

Yeah manageable like it's been managed
Everyone just throws them in the dumpster and the mercury leeks out into the ground water

Throwing a few CF bulbs in the trash for your trash person to pick up is actually hazardous to them
OK, inhaling the gas from one mini-bulb breaking way inside the trash compactor won't kill them...instantly...the point is if you and your neighbors all do it, yes, it will be a hazard

You can't mandate their use w/o some sort of safe disposal mechanism
Well, the Gov't can I guess
...but Bye Bye Fishies, it was nice eating you!
Too bad you are all too dangerous for me to eat now!

Old 05-04-07, 04:52 AM
> hazardous to them OK, inhaling the gas from one mini-bulb breaking way
> inside the trash compactor won't kill them...instantly..

I'm assuming here you meant to say 'will kill them', which is non-sense.
Maybe, if they held the bulb right under their nose when they broke it.
If it breaks inside the truck, in your trash can, in the room you are in, or hell, even near you, it's not going to kill you, or even hurt you. I've broken a few myself, standard fluorescents too.

Old 05-04-07, 05:16 AM
No, I meant won't kill them instantly

However, it is hazardous to breathe
Just because you don't fall over dead after doing so, does not mean it's safe

All fluorescents are considered hazardous waste, that's a fact