You say tomato......

Old 02-23-07, 10:19 AM
Question You say tomato......

you know that song, "...you say tomayto, i say tomahto...."

who & where exactly are these people who say tomahto??????????????

i have never EVER heard a person actually say "tomahto", either in person, or on TV, or in a movie........have you??

(......or potahto, for that matter............)

Sponsored Links
Old 02-23-07, 10:27 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
are you talking about 'maters' and 'taters'

Old 02-23-07, 11:17 AM
Hey Annette...can you please sing the rest of the song? Maybe the song will explain it!

I think tomahto and potahto is for the richy rich folks or something! No offense to ya all rich people

Old 02-23-07, 11:29 AM
okay........but have you ever HEARD anyone say it that way??? i've been around plenty of wealthy folks & never heard them say tomahto.......

is it an British thing? i can imagine someone with an English accent saying it that way....

Old 02-23-07, 11:36 AM
Super Moderator
I can think of a couple. Julia Childs and Frasier from Cheers. Have never known anyone personally that spoke that way.

Old 02-23-07, 12:26 PM
Honestly, never heard it on tv or the movies, nor heard anyone say it.

Good thinking Shadeladie See? Rich people.

I COULD "imagine" Tony Blair saying it...of course...not during any of his speeches though.

Old 02-23-07, 12:36 PM
Isn't that an east coast thing? You know, the folks that pahk the cah. I've got an adopted sister from Main who says tomahto. She also pahks her cah.

Old 02-23-07, 12:39 PM
Originally Posted by Smokey49
Isn't that an east coast thing? You know, the folks that pahk the cah. I've got an adopted sister from Main who says tomahto. She also pahks her cah.
you might be onto something there, Smokey.........any east coasters care to verify that?

Old 02-23-07, 01:19 PM
Super Moderator
I'm from the east coast and I don't talk like that LOL! That's an upper northeast thing in places like Massachusetts, Maine and New Hampshire.

Old 02-23-07, 01:52 PM
sorry........that's what i meant: any UPPER east coasters out there????

Old 02-23-07, 02:04 PM
Its a British thing

They all pronounce it that way, they are then copied by others that think speaking the Queen's english makes them sound more educated.

Old 02-23-07, 05:59 PM
There's a few moah Noahth then me, but none moah East fah showah

Tahmaidas?
Yeeyah some people say that wicket wee-id
We might say "Ahnt" and "Bah-throom", but nawght "Toe Maahh Toes"
I've no idear who says that
Yah wuant Tahmaidas on yah sangwich?, yah wuant a tawnic too theyah doancha?
Come by Saddadee, we'll be makin' chowda an throwina kegga
Just doan drink too much beah, and be runnin aroun in yowah hundaweah
That'd be a wicket pissah though
No tahmaidas, I prawmiss, my sistah's allergic

Old 02-24-07, 06:54 AM
Group Moderator
Note to Admin: The posts are coming out garbled intermittently; check the one above ^.

Old 02-24-07, 09:05 AM
Super Moderator
Wow, that made me think of Stephen King's "Perfect Storm" movie

Old 02-24-07, 10:21 AM
nap
I would suggest those in Bah-ston (that's Boston to the rest of us) may be the folks you speak of. I can imagine Teddy Kennedy speaking of tomahtoes. As another stated, they like to drive cahs and go to the bahs and ( I have no idea how to phonetically spell how they pronounce this) a be` ya (that's the best I can come up with for their pronunciation of beer.)

I had a cardiologist that was going to do some work on me. I had never met him before and he was explaining the procedure to me. He asked me if I had any questions. I had noticed he had an accent and I couldn't identify it very well and my curiosity is always piqued by where accents are from, I asked him where he was from, what type of accent he had.

He politely turned to me and in a very matter of fact voice said, '" You speak American, I speak English"

good bit of humor to ease the tension before an angiogram, but he was correct.

Old 02-24-07, 12:36 PM
Group Moderator
The differences between American and British forms of English (and even regional American accents) are rather interesting... especially when it's pointed out to you.

I was listening to a British speaker who was humorously pointing out to us Americans that there is no "D" in the word "thirty". So I thought to myself how I pronounced those words... twenty, thirty, fourty, fifty... and he's right- we do say them with a D!

The same thing goes for a lot of other words too. Interestingly, I've found that a lot of people are pretty passionate about this subject, and how we American's have butchered the language from across the pond.

Old 02-24-07, 01:17 PM
Originally Posted by nap
I would suggest those in Bah-ston (that's Boston to the rest of us) may be the folks you speak of.
Nope, Nawt they-ah

They say Tahmaidas and Bahbaidas they-ah too

You guise ah wicket funny!

Old 02-24-07, 06:17 PM
Oh man slick...ur funny! I didn't even bother trying to figure out what you're talking about! You're killin' me! I hope you don't post replys on other topics that way!

Old 02-24-07, 08:16 PM
Lovey and Thurston Howell the 3rd say to-mah-toe.
I think they're the only ones.

Slickshift, is that a derivative of Ebonix ?

Old 02-25-07, 10:02 AM
If you've ever heard and listened to JFK or RFK speak - you wouldve heard that N.E. accent pretty prominantly.

Old 02-25-07, 08:21 PM
Er-ah I say TO-MAH-TOE, Er-ah.

Yes, I do hear it !

Old 02-26-07, 04:09 AM
Group Moderator
Originally Posted by Mackey View Post
Slickshift, is that a derivative of Ebonix ?
Cape Codix?

Old 02-26-07, 11:25 AM
Originally Posted by jatco View Post
If you've ever heard and listened to JFK or RFK speak - you wouldve heard that N.E. accent pretty prominantly.
NE accent? Mainers don't speak like folks from Mass. And definitely not like any of the Kennedy's. Just like a Georgia accent is way different than one from Texas. Before I settled in Maine 30 years ago, I did a lot of my growing up in Murland. Bawlamer in fact. And when someone up here would ask if my wife was from Pennsylvania, she would politely point out that no, she did not put an "n" in the word "You". Murlanders knew how to spell it, folks from PA apparently did not.

The standard rule up here to nail the Maine accent pretty well, just put an "a" where an "r" should be and an "r' where an "a" should be. As in "He put butta on his tuner fish sandwich". And then liberally sprinkle in words like "wicked good" and "that's a pissah good time". Never smile when you tell a joke. If you want to look like a local, sport a grease stained (or better yet - a blood stained) hunter orange wool cap for most of the year. Not just hunting season. But most of all don't take off your red union suit until July 4th. Washing it occasionally is optional.

Old 03-01-07, 06:28 AM
Im orig from NYC..now in BC Canada. Talk about accents...!!
Everyone has an accent...!

Old 03-01-07, 12:35 PM
Jatco, I've lived in Canada my whole life and never noticed anyone here had an accent. You must be mistaken.

Old 03-01-07, 01:28 PM
Group Moderator
Eh?

Old 03-02-07, 05:15 AM
Do you drink rewt beer or rut beer, drive on a rewt or a rowt, is your system prohcessing or prawcessing? No there are no accents in Canada!
mjd2k are you out in skatchwin?

Old 03-02-07, 06:10 AM
Originally Posted by mjd2k View Post
Jatco, I've lived in Canada my whole life and never noticed anyone here had an accent. You must be mistaken.
LOL...- No...Im pretty sure Ive heard some different accents...-
Even your cows have an accent...hahaha..

Old 03-02-07, 07:16 AM
[QUOTE=ehjay;1135311 mjd2k are you out in skatchwin?[/QUOTE]

Yup........and....... Skatchwin is the CORRECT pronunciation. Can't get half of Canada to pronounce it properly so you're doing pretty good.

Old 03-02-07, 08:06 AM
Group Moderator
Half of Canada speaks French, doesn't it?

Old 03-02-07, 08:16 AM
Tow Guy, you must be thinking of our "nation within a nation" of Quebec, or however it is they want to be thought of these days. And theres is a whole accent of there own makes em special eh!

Old 03-02-07, 09:08 AM
An American caught me last week
Asked me how to spell "Canada"
I spelled it for him.
He said canada got its name from Canucks spelling it the way we do.

"C eh N eh D eh" ...........not bad

TG, you're not bad on your demographics. There are plenty of French but since they don't consider themselves part of Canada, I guess you can't count them as half.

Old 03-02-07, 09:35 AM
Originally Posted by Annette
who & where exactly are these people who say tomahto??????????????

i have never EVER heard a person actually say "tomahto", either in person, or on TV, or in a movie........have you??
Well Annette, I did some research and would like to share with you the whole story

It seems that over 70 years ago back when (and before) the song was written (George and Ira Gershwin), many affluent American city dwellers did pronounce it "tomahto", perhaps trying to sound more worldly

During the twenties and thirties, with the rise of and popularity of the automobile, many of these people like to motor out to the country for picnics, often with many "tomahtos" in their baskets

This would be a great source of amusement for the locals, who used mostly horses for transport, and would often make fun of the "tomahto" eating picnickers and the funny way they talked

Now, the biggest problem with City Folk going into the country for a picnic was that they tended to get eaten by bears
When they used to take horses, it was no big deal, the horses would get spooked if a bear was near by
With the automobile, there was no such warning for them, and they would often get eaten by the bears

This was also a great source of amusement for the locals, who for the most part just sat and watched them get eaten, often laughing and shouting things like "I'll bet you taste great with those to-Maaaaah-tos and po-Taaaaaah-tos"
(There were very few movie theaters out there back then, and most of those automobile driving city picnickers were kinda rude)

Aaaanyway...this was well known by the time "Let's Call The Whole Thing Off" was written (around 1935), and the original lyric included the line "...stop talking like a freak or you'll get eaten by bears"
In fact, the whole population of "tomahto" eaters was by then in a precipitous decline, mostly due to them having been eaten by bears

When Fred Astaire considered using the song in his movie "Shall We Dance" (released in 1937), George convinced Ira to change the reference to bears to make the song more palatable for Fred's movie (which apparently had no mauling in it-just a lot of dancing)

By the end of World War II, there were very few "tomahto" eaters left, and most of them got beaten up by returning servicemen who were "sick of hearing that furrin'/limey/frog* talk"

I hope this answers your question, Annette
Basically, they were eaten by bears over 50 years ago

Old 03-02-07, 10:11 AM
And Now We Know!!!

OMG! utterly hilarious.......i am truly laughing out loud!!

thanks for that. you should be a writer.

Old 03-02-07, 07:14 PM
Group Moderator
Originally Posted by mjd2k View Post
TG, you're not bad on your demographics. There are plenty of French but since they don't consider themselves part of Canada, I guess you can't count them as half.
What I probably should have said is, "Half of Canada is in in Florida right now, so going to be tough to get them to pronounce ANYTHING".