New ways to separate you from your money

Old 02-24-07, 07:03 AM
Group Moderator
New ways to separate you from your money

Anybody else seen the new gizmos at the gas pumps where you can opt for a fuel additive as you pump ($) or are we just late in getting the latest marketing ploy down here.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-07, 07:24 AM
nap
from southwest MI here within viewing distance of the golden dome at the University of Notre Dame.

Haven't seen any such gizmo here. Any particular vendor (brand) of gasoline involved?

Old 02-24-07, 08:37 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Haven't seen it here, how do you know you're getting what you pay extra for?

Old 02-24-07, 09:07 AM
Super Moderator
Haven't seen it here yet. Looks like you're first rather than late.

Old 02-24-07, 09:51 AM
Are you talking about the pumps where you can opt to add ethanol to your gas ? Ask the guy at the gas station.

Old 02-24-07, 01:35 PM
None of us in Oregon are apparently competent to pump gas so self serve is not legal here but I've not been offered any options like that.

Old 02-24-07, 02:26 PM
Group Moderator
I may have to take a digital pic and stick it in photobucket so everyone can see it. I've only seen it at one station so far, the local Wal-Mart pumps. Consists of a steel cabinet mounted next to the pump with an LCD screen on it and some buttons. When you get the pump ready to go in addition to answering credit or debit and do you want a receipt, it asks if you want the additive. Three levels; I think the cheapo was $1.69, middle of the road $3.69, and mechanic-in-a-can is $8.95.

Same thing I thought of, mark. There is a sticker on the side certifying it (although State Weights & Measures sticker like on the pumps).

Needless to say they won't be getting any of my money via this gimmick. I really love the "benefits" listed: Up to 10% improvement in gas mileage and "Reduces emissions that causes GLOBAL WARMING". OMG, It's our patriotic DUTY to opt in!!! Al Gore must have stock in the company. While you're pumping (regardless of whether you buy) you get a commmercial on the screen consisting of "testimonials", like the babe who's convinced she's saved "$200 or more". Very scientific, I'm sure. Only good news is there is a button that you can push to kill the audio.

Old 02-24-07, 03:04 PM
nap
oh god no!!

I would guess that if they find it profitable there, it will be extended across the country and we all will have to go through the neccessary steps to shut the thing up.

you are probably in a "test market" for something new.

hhmmm, mechanic-in-a-can.

Sounds like a gay joke or the result of an industrial packaging accident.

I tend to prefer my mechanics in a garage, or at least under a shade tree.

Old 02-24-07, 04:33 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I used to live in fla and know it has more than it's fair share of idiotic drivers - maybe this marketing ploy is targetting them

Old 02-24-07, 06:31 PM
Group Moderator
Right after Easter half of them will be back in their home states.

Old 02-24-07, 06:41 PM
Originally Posted by Smokey49 View Post
None of us in Oregon are apparently competent to pump gas so self serve is not legal here but I've not been offered any options like that.
You are kidding right? There is a few full serves where I live and I avoid them like the plague, usually the diesel is more expensive and I always feel obligated to tip. Also diesel foams a lot and they never want to keep filling once the pump stops, I can still get 4 more gallons after the first stop when I do it.

Old 02-24-07, 06:50 PM
Nope, not kidding. In the great state of Oregon, it's a huge fine if you're caught pumping your own gas. This state has the most ridiculous, "nanny state", rules and regulations I've ever seen, anywhere, and that's one of them. No self serve fuel. And yet, if you have the gall to ask one of them to wash the windshield or check the tires, there's liable to be a fist fight.

Old 02-24-07, 08:49 PM
nap
It'a been quite a while since I have been to the great wet state of O.

I seem to remember something about a no meat sales of some sort on Sunday.

Still around or am I way off base?

Old 02-24-07, 10:27 PM
tae
Minimum service vs. full service

All stations in New Jersey and Oregon, however, are mini service; attendants are required to pump gas because customers are barred by statutes in both states from pumping their own gas. Both states prohibited self service in the 1940s due to fears that foolish customers would handle gasoline improperly. Oregon's Department of Environmental Quality has also ordered a ban on self-service gasoline due to inexperienced pumpers being a significant source of groundwater and air pollution. Oregon's state fire marshal has also ordered a ban on self-service gasoline. Today, these states enforce the law because of the rapid increase of drive-offs , where people fill up their car and drive away without paying for gas. In 1982, Oregon voters rejected a ballot measure sponsored by the service station owners, which would have legalized self-service gas.

Contrary to popular belief, this does not make all gas stations in these states "full service by default." At most gas stations, "Mini Serve," standing for "minimum service," is the norm. Patrons can still get their tires, oil and wipers checked and windows cleaned at full-service islands, but at minimum-service islands, workers simply pump gas. At ARCO stations, customers must still go inside to pay for gas from mini-serve islands.

There is a widespread belief that mini-serve is more expensive. However, a comparison between gas prices in Portland, Oregon and its suburb of Vancouver, Washington show prices at mini-serve stations in Oregon are on average 3 to 10 cents cheaper than their self-service counterparts in Washington, suggesting the net effect of adding attendants to the price may be small or non-existent. This comparison may be skewed by the difference in state gasoline taxes between Oregon and Washington. Likewise, New Jersey almost always has cheaper gas than its neighbors New York and Pennsylvania, due to the fact that the state has six refineries that produce 50,000 barrels per day or more of refined petroleum products.

The constitutionality of the self-service bans has been challenged. The Oregon statute was challenged in 1989 by ARCO, and the New Jersey statute was challenged in 1950 by a small independent service station, Rein Motors. Both challenges failed. In addition, throughout the rest of the United States, the Americans with Disabilities Act requires that the equivalent of "mini-serve" be provided to any individual displaying a disabled parking placard.

In both New Jersey and Oregon, it is legal for customers to pump their own diesel (although not every station permits diesel customers to do so; truck stops typically do). The intent of the Oregon Law is that diesel is not as flammable, and therefore poses less of a hazard to Oregon Citizens.

Old 02-25-07, 07:40 AM
nap
There is a widespread belief that mini-serve is more expensive. However, a comparison between gas prices in Portland, Oregon and its suburb of Vancouver, Washington show prices at mini-serve stations in Oregon are on average 3 to 10 cents cheaper than their self-service counterparts in Washington, suggesting the net effect of adding attendants to the price may be small or non-existent.This comparison may be skewed by the difference in state gasoline taxes between Oregon and Washington

Tae: either you have plagiarized somebody's article or you have failed to investigate ( a fairly simple investigation) your otherwise very informative article.

Oregon has a total of ~42.4 cents/ga
Washington ~49.4 cents/gal

(rates as of Jan 2006. supplied by: SOURCE: Common Sense Junction. -- Compiled from API and MSNBC Websites. http://www.laughtergenealogy.com/blog/notes/gasoline-state.html)

So what the is happening is that having a mini-serve station actually does not increase the price of gasoline to the consumer.

All I can say is they must be making the money up somewhere. I know several station owners and the current claim is ~2-3 cents/gal profit. (Indiana)

Old 02-25-07, 10:41 AM
I'm glad NJ and OR ban self serve gas. If the other 48 states had done the same we wouldn't all have killed ourselves by ignorantly and dangerously pumping our own gas. I read on a blog that 240 million Americans went up in smoke at self serve stations just last year alone. Now we are all destroyed and only OR and NJ survive.

Old 02-25-07, 02:07 PM
Last year we were driving south on I-15. I think it was Idaho Falls where we stopped for gas. Got out and went inside.

I looked back and there were FOUR guys who had appeared from nowhere, crawling all over my van, checking wipers, washing windows inside and out, vacuming, every door was open on the van, checking tire preassure, checking and topping fluids, checking my lights, checking fluid levels, etc etc...

I went out and told them whooooa, all I wanted was gas. Too late, apparently I had stopped at Full Service island. I think it cost me an extra fifteen bucks.

Some other poor guy had stopped at another island and he had to wait 10 minutes just to pay for his gas because all the staff were working on my van. Had a good laugh but it was expensive.

Old 02-25-07, 02:40 PM
Havent seen it in Illinois

I haven't seen it in northern Illinois...but sure have noticed the gas prices going sky high again...

Old 02-25-07, 02:50 PM
Ya know, all that info is nice and all, but it's kinda like givin' me a set of football pads, I'll never use 'em and am really not interested. I just know the end result is irritating. I have yet to get gas around here from one of these "attendants" who acts like they care and it's like pulling teeth to get them to actually fill the thing up. They quit when it clicks off and my truck will still take three gallons after that. I'd just as soon do it myself so I can get it full and do it in a timely manner. It is nice to know, however, that at least two states are still populated because they haven't blown themselves up over pumping their own gas. It's a real shame about the rest of the country and their tragic demise. Oh well perhaps there are some good real estate deals out there because of it.

Old 02-25-07, 03:33 PM
tae
"Tae: either you have plagiarized somebody's article or you have failed to investigate ( a fairly simple investigation) your otherwise very informative article."

it's from wikipedia, and is tagged jan 2007. Dont know about your reference from jan. of last year. Also, it stated just what you did....3 to 10 cents cheaper...you showed 7 cents cheaper...isnt that in the 3 to 10 range? Or maybe you just misread it?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filling_station

state gasoline (non diesel)tax:
Oregon 24.9 cents per gal
Washington 34.0 cents per gal
http://www.washingtongasprices.com/tax_info.aspx

Old 02-25-07, 04:49 PM
nap
Tae, I wasn't trying to be nasty but after re-reading it seems I may have come across that way. Sorry 'bout that.

All I was doing was giving a quick tax difference with very litle research and yes, that does fall within the articles range.

I was more than anything just trying to get folks to credit sources. It is the proper thing to do. If you had authored the writing, it was a good article but the disclaimer of "may be skewed" was pretty weak considering the rest of the article.

Old 02-26-07, 04:31 AM
Group Moderator
Just curious, but what's the penalty for using your cell phone while you're having your gas pumped in OR & NJ? I'm thinking 1 to 5?

Old 02-26-07, 05:24 AM
---Anybody else seen the new gizmos at the gas pumps where you can opt for a fuel additive as you pump ($) or are we just late in getting the latest marketing ploy down here.

You are early, I've not seen them in the N.E.

We've got a mix of Mini/Full/Self serve stations out here, and I'd have to say the "serve" status seems to have little impact on the pump price (0-3 cents)

It seems more like what the market will bear (price), and what the market demands (service) around here

It is however more likely that a small station close to a upscale neighborhood will have only full serve, and much higher prices that the station a mile down on the main commuter road, which may have an option of both self and mini

Old 02-26-07, 05:25 AM
---what's the penalty for using your cell phone while you're having your gas pumped in OR & NJ?

No cell phone for you...One Year!!!

Old 02-26-07, 07:49 AM
this country is getting really sad....you can sexually assault a 11 yr old girl in a recent case i saw in western pa....get released without bail, since the guy was disabled..

but you cant pump you own gas without a fine??

im going to nail my doors and windows shut and ill be waiting with the shotgun

Old 02-27-07, 11:19 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I get gas at BJ's in Connectitax, and have not seen any of these new gizmos yet. You would think that with oil companies making record profits, they could afford to lower the price of gas. Of course the $.50+ per gallon state gas tax here doesn't help matters and the roads are not that terrific here. With that much of a tax per gallon, shouldn't it be reasonable to expect Autobahn quality roads?

Old 02-27-07, 02:08 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by nightowlpunk View Post
With that much of a tax per gallon, shouldn't it be reasonable to expect Autobahn quality roads?
and just how do you expert our crooked politicians to get fed

Old 02-27-07, 02:15 PM
Group Moderator
You didn't really think that road taxes were actually spent on, GASP, ROADS?

Old 02-27-07, 02:29 PM
Ya'll are behind the curve Tow Guy, the local wally world has had those at the pumps for about 2 years or so (or, about the last time I actually bought gas there).

Florida may be unique in the gas world, in that state law mandates retailers make a minimum of 4 cents per gallon. They can charge anything they want over that, but not less.

Not really any major chains that offer full service. There is one independent that I know of that only offers that 'mini service'. No doubt to cut down on drive offs.