Here's your sign.... Please add yours

Old 02-27-07, 11:23 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Smile Here's your sign.... Please add yours

I was buying windshield wipers several years ago in February. I was using crutches and had a leg brace over my right leg due to a sprained knee (by throwing a garbage bag into a dumpster, cannot explain how that happened). The parking lot was icy, and the guy at the parts store actually asked me "Do you need help putting these on?". I was thinking how obvious do I have to be?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-07, 04:40 PM
Sometimes the one who looks like they need help...doesn't want help.

How'd you sprain your knee again?

How about when you're sneezing and coughing and you moan and groan and you blow your nose constantly and you look awful because you have a cold and someone asks "Are you sick?" or "Are you feeling ok?"

Old 02-27-07, 09:06 PM
Then there's one of my favorites, the trick question. Someone asks me what time it is and, since I don't wear a watch, I say "I don't know". So they come back with, "do you have a watch?". You tell someone you don't know something so they'll rephrase the question, coming at it from different angles as if they think they'll trick you into knowing the answer. I've gotten fairly creative with them at times. One of them just wouldn't accept "I don't know" as an answer and I finally asked him if he'd like me to take a guess. I suppose he thought my guess would be more educated than his because he said yes. I then told him, "if you can be satisfied with a guess, you guess, because your guess will be as good as mine and you'll get the answer you want that way".

Old 02-28-07, 05:35 AM
^^^In my bike shop I have a lot of kids who come in. Many times they just want to know what time it is. With 3 clocks scattered around the store, invariably one will ask, "Do you know what time it is?"

I will look at one of the clocks, turn back to them and say, "Yes I do." And then go about my business. Drives em crazy.

Old 02-28-07, 02:56 PM
That's funny. The mean streak in me will store that one for later use.

Old 02-28-07, 05:01 PM
My last name is a little tough to spell so occasionally when asks me "can you spell that?", I answer "yes"..... or........when someone has asked me if I can identify myself, I will look for a reflection in something and say "yah, thats me alright".

I agree...they aren't funny to me either.

Old 02-28-07, 09:30 PM
Then there's the 'phone call thing. The 'phone rings, I pick it up, and the person on the other end says,"who am I speaking with?". I used to ask who they called, but now I say, "this is me, is that you?". That normally throws them except for one several years ago who came right back with, "man, am I glad. I was afraid I was going to get someone else". I knew right away I was going to like this guy.

Old 03-01-07, 09:17 AM
Or when you answer the phone and say "Hello?" and they say "Hello?" right back at ya? Who taught them to use the phone?!

Old 03-01-07, 10:57 AM
Originally Posted by DIYaddict View Post
Or when you answer the phone and say "Hello?" and they say "Hello?" right back at ya? Who taught them to use the phone?!

those calls are almost always telemarketers. they dial several numbers at once & they sit there waiting for the first connection. so when they hear a "hello?" they have to hang up on all the other lines & say "hello?" to you. i used to repeat my "hello?" but not anymore. i wait for them to say something. i've already said "hello?", i'm not saying it again!!!!

actually, sometimes i'll say "yeah, i said hello already!!!" just to be sure they're clear that they've hacked me off. i loathe telemarketers.

Old 03-01-07, 12:30 PM
Telemarketers...........Annette this could get ugly.

If I'm in the mood, I ask them to hang on for just a sec, then hold the phone and keep watching TV, occasionally blurting "just one more sec" without giving them a chance to reply, then make them hold somemore. You can keep them on there for a few minutes sometimes.

Nowadays they use predictive dialers that dial people and connect telemarketers to anwered lines. This gives you a chance to hang up before the TM gets on the line.

Old 03-01-07, 12:33 PM
Super Moderator
This is hilarious! I'll have to remember some of those for my mean streak, too!

Old 03-01-07, 12:46 PM
I've never done it myself because I don't get those calls, but my brother gets lots of them and I watched him with one of them. He acted like he was really interested in whatever was being pitched and kept them on the line a long time before he finally told them he wasn't interested. I'm not sure what was said on the other end at that point, but my brother said, "yeah, I know, but just imagine how many people who's time you weren't wasting while I was wasting yours".

Old 03-01-07, 01:48 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I try not to be too hard on the telemarketers even though I loath being contacted by them. One of the worst jobs I ever had was being a telemarketer [before it had a name] in the early '70's. I think it paid $1.75 an hour You were given a page out of a phone book and had to dial [as in rotary phone] every residence on both sides of the page. They were also constantly reminding us that we had to make so many sales an hour to keep our job

Glad that job only lasted 3-4 weeks Normally I inform then I'm not interested and promptly hang up.

Old 03-01-07, 02:15 PM
Group Moderator
Oh, don't get me started on telemarketers. I get at least a half dozen a day. Most of the time I answer with the business name and my first name and am rewarded with dead air on the other end (the predictive dialer). I usually wait to see if anyone actually picks up so I can waste THEIR time, too; unfortunately about 90% of the time after about 5 seconds my cell phone says "Call ended" before anyone picks up. One of the newest ploys is deceptive caller id. When you get a call that says "Restricted" or "Unavailable" it's usually a dead giveaway it's a solicitor. Now, many of them will have a phone number displayed; but after the disconnect if you try calling the number back you will get a recording that the number is not in service. Should be against the law.

Most common solicitors? Health insurance, credit card processors, website services, & business "Directories".

Old 03-03-07, 08:22 AM
Man, yuze guys are tough !
Speaking from someone in the service/sales industry we have mandatory phone blitz days twice a month and it is the two worst days of the month.
By lunchtime I'm lookin for a roof to jump off of and by 4:00 I'm looking for a good rope.
I admit Telemarketers are a pain but that's how they put food on their tables.
They have to make about 100 to 200 calls before they actually get someone who MIGHT buy something that's why they use things like the predictive dialer. I for one don't agree with that kind of marketing, it's a real churn n burn business.....lots of employee turnover.

I think this thread veered off somewhere.

Old 03-04-07, 08:31 AM
Wink Here's your sign!

How obvious can it be to a telemarketing co. that no one wants to buy anything from the other end of a phone. Now with the internet and all the specialized retail shops you can get anything you want anytime. I have noticed that over the past few years our telemarketing calls have dwindled to none. They might be afraid they get my wife on the line again.

Old 03-06-07, 07:26 PM
Here's one that's not telemarketing and I have no idea what it is! I answer the phone and it's obvious it's a recording saying, "I'm sorry, I dialed the wrong number" (something like that) and hangs up. What's that all about???!!!

Yeah...this just happened at home.

Old 03-06-07, 07:45 PM
possumgraper
Visiting Guest
DIYaddict, I am so sorry, that was me.

Regrets,
C3P0.

Old 03-07-07, 04:39 AM
Group Moderator
Check caller ID or *69 it to see the origin, DIY?

Haven't heard of one of those before.

Usually 3:00-4:00 PM (Eastern) is the telemarketing hour for me. Most caller id's that hour are "Unavailable", "Restricted", "0000000", or some other dead giveaway.

Old 03-07-07, 07:07 AM
i would bet it's still the same telemarketers, but now they're making an effort to be more polite than simply hanging up on you. they auto-dialed a bunch of numbers and someone else picked up before you, so they took that call instead of yours.

either that, or robots are, in fact, taking over the world and have learned to use the telephone. but not well.

Old 03-07-07, 09:06 AM
Don't have caller ID TG. I'm too cheap.

I think you're right Annette. However...I *shouldn't* have telemarketers calling me b/c I'm on that "Do not call" list.

MUST be the robots (or possumgraper).

Old 03-07-07, 10:02 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I'm also on the 'do not call' list and it does help BUT anybody you do business with [like credit cards and their affiliates] and non profit organizations are excempt. Only way to be totally free of telemarketers is to not have a phone

Old 03-07-07, 01:22 PM
My favorite is the telemarketing call from the phone company itself. They then proceed to ask what they could do better

Old 03-07-07, 03:25 PM
Group Moderator
OOOH, they wouldn't want to ask ME that question!

Old 03-07-07, 07:41 PM
possumgraper
Visiting Guest
Rest easy !! I have revoked c3p0's phone privileges !!

I used to get mad at telemarketers, until my 17 year old daughter started doing it for a side job and I could not bring myself to curse them out and hang up on them any longer. Now, I simply have as much fun with them as I can until THEY hang up!!

Example - My new truck warranty recently expired and I have been getting offers in the mail to extend my vehicle warranty. Last night I received a phone call from one of these companies stating that " our records indicate your vehicle warranty has expired." I promptly told him my wife and I had sold our vehicles when the price of gas went up and now only had ten-speed bikes. When I asked him if he could price me an extended warranty for a Schwinn, he just laughed and hung up !!