Pronunciations

Old 03-05-07, 01:11 PM
Pronunciations

Before you guys look on the site or a dictionary or ask someone...

How do YOU pronounce:

Colonel and Arkansas?

Why are they spelled like that?!?!

Last edited by DIYaddict; 03-05-07 at 01:34 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-07, 03:32 PM
nap
colonel
1548, coronell, from M.Fr. coronel, modified by dissimilation from It. colonnella "commander of a column of soldiers at the head of a regiment," from compagna colonella "little column company," from L. columna "pillar" (see hill). Eng. spelling modified 1583 to conform with It., but the earlier pronunciation was retained.

Arkansas Kaw, via Illinois akaansa Borrowed from an Illinois rendering of the tribal name kką:ze (see Kansas, below), which they used to refer to the Quapaw

from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._state_name_etymologies

oh, and by the way:

kernel and r-can-saw

Old 03-05-07, 03:47 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
DIYaddict - slow day at a work?

Old 03-05-07, 04:27 PM
tae
me to....kernel and r-can-saw
from [email protected]:
http://www.randomhouse.com/wotd/index.pperl?date=19980331

The state name Arkansas ultimately derives from the name of an Siouan people who lived in the valley of the Arkansas River. The area was first settled by the French, who usually used the spelling Arkansa to refer to the tribe and to the village in which they lived. They used the plural, Arkansas, to refer to members of the tribe.

The French used the name in the plural to refer to the Arkansas River--la rivière des Arkansas, "the river of the Arkansas"--and the name Arkansas was then applied to the territory, and, eventually, to the state.

After the region was de-Frenched in the early nineteenth century, the pronunciation remained the French one--or, rather, an Anglicized version of the French one--which would be something like "Arkansaw." In fact, the Arkansaw spelling is the one used on the Act that created the territory. But in the end, the original Arkansas spelling is the one that prevailed, but it did so with an Anglicized version of the French pronunciation.

By the way, the state of Kansas, also named by the French for an Indian people and with the -s representing a French plural, dropped the French pronunciation entirely and adopted an English pronunciation based on the Kansas spelling, which is why the pronunciation of Kansas and Arkansas differ.

Old 03-05-07, 04:30 PM
Group Moderator
And before you ask, Ill - uh- noy (Illinois).

Old 03-05-07, 08:13 PM
Group Moderator
Here's my favorite:

How do you pronounce the capital of Kentucky?

Lou-ee-ville or Lewisville

I pronounce it Frankfort.

Old 03-05-07, 08:24 PM
possumgraper
Visiting Guest
Why do the keypads at drive through ATM machines have braille on them ?

Old 03-06-07, 04:18 AM
Group Moderator
Why is the alphabet in that order? Is it because of that song?

----------------------------------------------------

One of the neighborhoods in town is referred to as the New York Section because of the street names [Brooklyn, Queens, Elmira, etc). One of the main thoroughfares is Olean which is pronounced (depending on your knowledge of geography) either o-LEAN or OH-lee-an. In Punta Gorda is an even better one - Aqui Esta ("you are here" or close to that). Properly pronounced ah-KEY es-TAH; alternate non-Hispanic pronunciation is AH-kwee ES-ta.

Old 03-06-07, 11:28 AM
wow....i'm impressed! i would've expected you to spell it "pronounciations"!!!!! good job!

and slightly off subject: "irregardless" is NOT a word!!!! REGARDLESS of how many times you may have heard it used!!!!!!

Old 03-06-07, 12:50 PM
Admin Emeritus
Words? Hum-mm

Is there such a word as LITE?

Did you find LITE in the dictionary??? I can't.

But I did turn on the "LIGHT" to see the dictionary...LOL!

LITE. Not a word??? Maybe so. Maybe not.

If not, WHY?

Why not a word? Should be. We have "LITE" beer.....HA HA.......

Can't use the word light? As in "LIGHT" Beer.

Light (LITE) foods meaning less of something, usually meaning less FATS used in the manufacturing process.

Lite simply means less of something to which we pay more for...Ha Ha.

But we can say I "LIT" a match. LIT a pilot, etc.
Cannot say LITE a match or LITE a flame, etc.
Have to use the word LIGHT.

Oh-Heck. Oh Well.

Slow day at work???

YUP! it is...or is it YEP it is????....LOL!

Old 03-06-07, 02:36 PM
nap
mitch: hilarious

pronunciations again;

Willamette; in the east it is pronounced Will- a - MET; in Oregon it is prononced will- AM- it as in Dammit

2 anecdotes if I may:

have a friend that used to go through Mickey D's drive through (only him in car). At the talkie box, he would ask if the have a braille menu. Ansered affirmativley.

He then proceeds to drive up to the pay window and as he gets there he closes his eyes and holds his hand out for a braille menu. Then proceeds to feel around as if to be reading it and then hands the menu back and orders.

Nobody had ever questioned him about this.
==================

Aunt used to be a telephone operator in Oregon (btw it is or-a-gun, not or-a gOn). Anyway, guy calls in and she asks "what city?". Guy says "thee du lees" (all one word with the "TH" as in think and a short U). Not being familiar with thee du lees, she asks again for the city. Customer repeats "thee du lees". Still unfamiliar she says she is not familiar with "thee du lees".

Customer describes where the city is (near Pendleton) and she realizes what he means and starts to laugh while she say "OH, you must mean "The Dalles " (pronounced "the" (as in the) and dals). What was even funnier was the guy still insisted it was thee du lees.

Old 03-06-07, 05:02 PM
Why do my outlaws say "car warsh" instead of car wash ?
And why do they say "The car needs warshed" instead of The car needs TO BE washed ?

Old 03-06-07, 05:13 PM
nap
are you guys anywhere near Orange County New York (I think).? Paul Teutle Sr. (Orange County Chopper) always says things like warsh.

Old 03-06-07, 07:02 PM
Group Moderator
Anyone have a neighbor come ask for a jump because the "BA-tree" in his car is dead?

Old 03-07-07, 06:09 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by Mackey View Post
Why do my outlaws say "car warsh" instead of car wash ?
My great grandparents were born and raised in the netherlands and whenever I was around my grandmother at meal time she would instruct me to "go warsh you hands in the zink" I used to hear these types of pronuciations a lot when I was young and around old folks that were raised by dutch immigrants.

Old 03-07-07, 07:16 AM
guilty. i've always said warsh. sorry. i've made a concerted effort since i've been an adult to say wash though. it just sounds so weird! like i'm pretending to be from Boston or somewhere!

nap: i thought Orange County was in California???

Mackey: i'll just bet they also say stuff like "i'm fixin' to warsh that there car", don't they??

i want to know why my mother pronounces 'water' like watt-her???

i have relatives in Pennsylvania, and they are hilarious to listen to. everything's a question! my particular favorite is their pronunciation of the town Bethlehem......it's just BET-lem. too funny.

Old 03-07-07, 03:29 PM
Group Moderator
Originally Posted by Annette View Post
nap: i thought Orange County was in California???
There's one in FL, too; go figure.

Old 03-07-07, 04:11 PM
nap
I only knew of the one i Cali as well. I was always trying to figure out why there was snow at the motorcycle shop and Sr. sounded like he was from New Yoik.

OCC Showroom& (that's Orange County Choppers)
Retail Store
1019 State Route 17K
Montgomery, NY 12549
845-457-1995
Click for map to store

Winter Hours
Sun - Fri: 10AM - 6PM
Sat: 9AM - 8PM

Old 03-07-07, 05:07 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Orange county fla may not have any oranges left. I used to live in orange county and everytime a hard freeze would kill an orange grove it became a new sub division or shopping center.

Not many know orange county fla's original county name. It used to be mosquito county they changed the name in the early '60's to promote tourism and business. It worked, only a few years later Walt Disney came to the area.

Old 03-07-07, 05:22 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by nap View Post
are you guys anywhere near Orange County New York (I think).? Paul Teutle Sr. (Orange County Chopper) always says things like warsh.
My ont always loved ahranges.

Old 03-07-07, 08:35 PM
possumgraper
Visiting Guest
My Sis-in-law and her husband are national sales reps for a well known sunglass company at all of the NHRA drag race events. The first time they went to the Philadelphia area (she's an Arkansan) one of her customers asked her for a big after he made his purchase. She looked at him for several seconds before asking "A big what?" Somewhat frustrated he held his merchandise up and said "You know, a big to put my stuff in!"

Old 03-08-07, 05:58 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by possumgraper View Post
"You know, a big to put my stuff in!"
too funny!!!

I've worked in a lot of different areas of the USA but never heard that one

Old 03-08-07, 06:02 AM
Wink

If Missisippi asked Missouri for a New Jersey, what would Delaware?

Idaho, but Alaska.