Things we say without thinking.

Old 03-06-07, 08:09 PM
possumgraper
Visiting Guest
Things we say without thinking.

We all do it. There are things that we say without thinking which, when you stop and think about them, are actually kind of humorous in a way.

Hot water heater. Why should you have to heat HOT water?

Or, one of my favorites, "Can I ask you a question"? Well, didn't you just ask me a question when you asked me if you could ask me a question?

I am sure we can come up with many more if we stop and think about it.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-07, 10:43 AM
i have 3:

1. i used to ask most everyone "Hi! How are you?" and then i got smart and stopped doing that to certain people.

some people just don't get that you're just being polite and you don't REALLY want to hear EXACTLY how they're doing in DETAIL down to every medication they take for every ache & pain and how they're working for them and what side effects they're each causing, etc!!!!

2. i think a lot of people say this without thinking: "Do you know how long he's going to be on the phone?"

they call for someone here at work, and because he's on the phone, i answer it & tell them that he's unavailable because he's on the other line, then they ask this brilliant question. if i knew how much longer he was going to be on the phone, i'd be rich. i'd be able to read his mind AND see into the future. boy, that'd be something! if i could do that, i sure as heck wouldn't be working for this kind of money, here!!!

3. checkers at stores who ask you "Did you find everything alright?"

i'm DONE shopping and NOW they want to be all helpful & assist me in finding what i need? now is not the time to ask this. also, it wouldn't do a bit of good to tell them ALL the things i didn't find. this question is just pointless. i'd rather they ask me how i'm doing today, so i could list all my aches & pains and medications i'm taking for them!!!!

or better yet, when they ask "Will this be all for you today?"

do they really encounter a lot of customers who say "actually, no, i need a bunch of other stuff, so just hang on & i'll be back in about 15 minutes with the rest of it!"????? it's especially dumb since they ask this AFTER they've rung up all your stuff - not BEFORE they get started. so maybe it's the TIMING of this question that's so bad. regardless, either way it's just stupid. or do they think thieves will suddenly get a case of conscience and say "you know what? i've actually got a bunch more stuff stuffed down my pants!" or if you answer "yes, this is it" are they going to then say, "aw, well i'm sorry, but there's a new minimum purchase rule and you don't have enough stuff to qualify"???? it's just something to say to break the silence, but it needs to be rethought!

okay, i'm done. for now.

Last edited by Annette; 03-07-07 at 10:55 AM.
Old 03-07-07, 01:30 PM
thought of another one.....sort of.........(no disrespect intended either).....but:

people who say "WWI" or "WWII". now, writing it that way makes sense because it's shorter & quicker. but SAYING it, literally, "double-u double-u one" (7 syllables) takes FOREVER!!!!! much longer than just saying "world war one" (only 3 syllables).

so why would anyone SAY "double-u double-u one"???? or the slightly shorter version, "dub-ya-dub-ya-one"?

Last edited by Annette; 03-07-07 at 01:43 PM.
Old 03-07-07, 03:24 PM
Group Moderator
Originally Posted by Annette View Post
the slightly shorter version, "dub-ya-dub-ya-one"?

That's the Texas pronunciation, right?

Old 03-07-07, 06:11 PM
Hate it when someone tells me to "watch my step" before going down some stairs in the winter. Am I a complete idiot that I wouldn't look where I was going?

Old 03-07-07, 07:28 PM
possumgraper
Visiting Guest
How about when you lose something and somebody says "Where was the last place you saw it?" Uhhh.... If I knew that, it wouldn't be lost.

Old 03-07-07, 08:25 PM
possumgraper
Visiting Guest
Once I went through a drive-thru and said "I'd like to place an order to go."

Old 03-07-07, 11:03 PM
Or when someone gives me a website address saying double u double u double u......... Geez thanks for that info! BTW I never type WWW before entering a website address.

People often say they need to unthaw something. I always ask "so you're going to freeze it?"

I occasionaly ask assinine questions just to keep people on their toes. For example someone will model their new shirt and I'll say"wow, thats nice, what color is it?" or "Hey that's really sharp, whats it look like?" People usually get confused and try to come up with an answer until they catch on. Then they become bent on catching me.

Fun for simple minds.

Last edited by mjd2k; 03-07-07 at 11:27 PM.
Old 03-08-07, 05:07 AM
Originally Posted by mjd2k View Post
Or when someone gives me a website address saying double u double u double u......... Geez thanks for that info! BTW I never type WWW before entering a website address.
Some websites don't have "www" (like this one)

Old 03-08-07, 10:11 AM
Originally Posted by mjd2k View Post
People often say they need to unthaw something.

i've heard "dethaw" a lot..........

how about those people telling you something "for your" FYI........or asking you to "please" RSVP.........