Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Community Meeting Center For Non Governmental & Non Political Forum Topics > General Chats and Discussions
Reload this Page >

Brag how you've saved at a flea market, thrift store, dollar, or closeout stores

Brag how you've saved at a flea market, thrift store, dollar, or closeout stores

Old 03-07-07, 03:09 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

I'll start.

Bought a real nice waist length winter coat...wool like, with all kinds of zippered compartments at Goodwil a number of years ago for only $5.

Used to buy perfectly good...some new condition Levi's to work at the power plant with, for 50 cents 25 years ago.

In recent history, like within a year ago to present, I have bought 9 oz, typical container of cashew nuts at Big Lots for $1.99. $1 for large V-8 size can of Welch's grape drink for $1. 5 qt. oil container for about $5.

At Aldi's I get large container of French onion dip that me and a neighbor of mine agree is one of the best, for...it was $1.09...now they raised it to $1.19.

I have to go to Dollar General to buy an extendable handle "cobweb broom" for $3. They want $7 for the same broom at Menard's. Those brooms are great.

I used to buy mint condition 60's, 70's, 80's and early 90's record albums (yes, albums) for $4.50 at the Book Peddler in Eau Claire. Very good condition ones were $3.50 and $4.00), where this cool older guy with tied back gray hair and beard and smoked a pipe and had this hippy dude stocking for him. He had about 20,000 records and then countless thousands of books, and other stuff. I bought hundreds of record albums from him over the years from about 1990-2000.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-07, 03:27 PM
I used my mom's 10% off (for senior's) at the Goodwill on everything I got there

Old 03-07-07, 04:10 PM
bought a copy of Richard Nixons autobiography , signed by the Author (Richard Nixon ) for 1.89

just got a like new pair of rockport boots for 9.99

Old 03-07-07, 05:24 PM
Originally Posted by DIYaddict View Post
I used my mom's 10% off (for senior's) at the Goodwill on everything I got there
Are you a senior also, then...or do you just LOOK like one?

Old 03-07-07, 05:26 PM
Originally Posted by mango man View Post
bought a copy of Richard Nixons autobiography , signed by the Author (Richard Nixon ) for 1.89

just got a like new pair of rockport boots for 9.99
Shows what Nixon was worth, eh?

How much can one expect to pay retail for Rockports?

Old 03-07-07, 07:40 PM
Originally Posted by DaVeBoy View Post
Are you a senior also, then...or do you just LOOK like one?
Ha! Yeah...I look like one. Sorry...I should say...my mom was with me and I had her go to the register with me and I "used" her.

Old 03-07-07, 07:55 PM
possumgraper
Visiting Guest
This one takes the cake !! It wasn't me ( I wish it were) but a music equipment technician in Nashville recently bought a 184 year old copy of the Declaration of Independence at a thrift store for $2.48!!! It' s estimated value is about $250,000.00 !!!!! Go to MSNBC and type Declaration of Independence in the search box.

Old 03-07-07, 08:11 PM
Shows what Nixon was worth, eh?

How much can one expect to pay retail for Rockports?

----------------------------------------------------------------

nixon was worth 150 x that 1.89 on ebay

rockports are 135.00 new

Old 03-07-07, 11:50 PM
Was 16 years old at my first auction and bid on a "surprise box". Found out after that I was the only one bidding but I kept bidding higher everytime the auctioneer looked at me until I finally bid myself up to 10 bucks which was all I had. Turned out I had bought a box of junk which was no surprise but what a thrill.

Last edited by mjd2k; 03-08-07 at 12:01 AM.
Old 03-08-07, 04:21 AM
I picked up an old school bmx bike a couple years ago at the flea market for $15 that would easily sell on eBay for a couple hundred. I get cd's all the time for .50-1.00 buck all the time. The latest was a 2 disc greatest hits of The Doors for .50 cents.

Old 03-08-07, 06:21 AM
Talking

Bought a couple baseballs that were still sealed in there boxes at a yard sale for $.50 each. Sold them on ebay for $450.

Old 03-08-07, 10:22 AM
Originally Posted by DIYaddict View Post
my mom was with me and I had her go to the register with me and I "used" her.
you screwed GOODWILL?? you are so going to h-e-double-toothpicks for that!!!! ha! j/k

but i'll be right down there with ya for this:

i got a $160 big wall clock for $30 - but it should've been $80! it was hung really high up on the wall, and i thought the hand written tag said $59.99. so i told the cashier i wanted that clock up there but i'd need her to call one of the guys with a ladder to come get it down for me. so while we were waiting for the guy to come, she was just standing there doing nothing, so i said, it's marked $59.99 if you want to go ahead & ring it up while we're waiting (duh!), so she did. well, all the wall clocks were on sale that week for 50% off, so i paid $29.98 for it. when the guy finally got it down & handed it to me, i realized the tag said $159.99!!!!!! and, apparently, deep down, i'm the low life piece of dirt criminal type (), so i took it and RAN!!!!! a-hahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (actually, that was the longest more horrible walk to my car EVER!!! i just KNEW they'd be coming after me in the parking lot & have me arrested for something!!!)

Old 03-08-07, 01:26 PM
You are BAD!

That's not "saving"... that's cheating!!!! Well...yeah...I guess you did save money afterall

I'm turning you in woman!

Old 03-08-07, 01:39 PM
here's how i'm justifying it in my mind: every clock in the place was $129-169 or so, [which i thought was insane, so i was pretty amazed that i actually truly liked (and preferred) the one that was "only $59"]. and so, i figure, the cashier HAD TO KNOW that all those big clocks were at least $100 bucks, usually more! so when i told her it was $59.99, loud sirens should've gone off in her head. it was really HER mistake. if i hadn't seen the price tag up close, or if the guy had ripped it off before handing me the clock, i'd have no clue that i'd even gotten a deal.

Old 03-08-07, 02:37 PM
Admin Emeritus
Let's review some of this.

"screwed GOODWILL?? you are so going to h-e-double-toothpicks for that!!!!"

reply back "You are BAD! That's not "saving"... that's cheating!!!!"

"so when i told her it was $59.99, loud sirens should've gone off in her head. it was really HER mistake."

SIRENS?

YES! SIRENS. I hear them now.

"but i'll be right down there with ya for this:"

YES. You're on your way now....HA HA HA

The SIRENS did sound. Bit late granted but:

I can hear SIRENS now.

Heading to your house....LOL!

To confiscate the clock and use as evidence in court.

Pressing charges for unpaid money +++ plus back owed FEES, FINES and PENALTIES!...

"I'm turning you in woman!"

I'm turning you in also....

"the cashier HAD TO KNOW that all those big clocks were at least $100 bucks,"

Cashier DID NOT KNOW at that time......(think time)

The clock was set to the wrong TIME.

The clock was not working at that TIME....so she had the wrong TIME.

Now is the TIME. I can hear SIRENS now.

Cashier now has lots of TIME.

Unemployed.... Still seeking new job.

BTW:

Speaking of TIME.

Seems we all have lots of TIME based upon the posts in this forum and in this thread.

BTW Reminder Note:
For those of us living in states that change to daylight savings TIME, set your clocks, cell phones, VCR, computer, ETC one hour ahead (spring ahead) this weekend.

Excuse me now.

I'm out of TIME...LOL!

Old 03-08-07, 03:59 PM
Originally Posted by possumgraper View Post
This one takes the cake !! It wasn't me ( I wish it were) but a music equipment technician in Nashville recently bought a 184 year old copy of the Declaration of Independence at a thrift store for $2.48!!! It' s estimated value is about $250,000.00 !!!!! Go to MSNBC and type Declaration of Independence in the search box.
A "copy" for $250K? Really? What kind of copies are THEM? Authentic copies as opposed to fake copies? Or, when they did the original Declaration of Independence, did the authors go to Kinkos?

I don't get it?

Old 03-08-07, 04:00 PM
Originally Posted by msidan View Post
Bought a couple baseballs that were still sealed in there boxes at a yard sale for $.50 each. Sold them on ebay for $450.
Were they autographed by a pro/pros in real ink?

Old 03-08-07, 07:44 PM
possumgraper
Visiting Guest
It was one of 200 official copies commisioned by John Quincy Adams in 1820. Not sure who Adams was, but I think he had a popular radio talk show.

By the way, I have some really old coins for sale if anybody is interested. They are dated 250 B.C.

Old 03-09-07, 04:45 AM
Originally Posted by DaVeBoy View Post
Were they autographed by a pro/pros in real ink?
No. (Not that I know of. They were unopened) The box said "Reach Official American League Baseball No. 0" and they still had their paper seal around them.

Old 03-09-07, 10:27 AM
I got a beautiful $70 shirt from REI for $15 because a button was missing.
A perfectly good working Coleman hot tub for $250 because the guy didn't know it was worth more like $1000.
A whole truckload of hardwood flooring and tile from a friend's dad for free because he was cleaning out his garage and didn't feel like selling it off.
A whole carload of tile (some hand painted) for free because another friend was cleaning out her garage.
A perfectly good, practically unused American Stratocaster guitar for hubby for $300 (it was worth close to $1000) because the guy just didn't care.

Old 03-09-07, 10:48 AM
So did you end up using the hardwood and tile or is it now sitting in YOUR garage?

Old 03-09-07, 05:45 PM
Originally Posted by logcabincook View Post
I got a beautiful $70 shirt from REI for $15 because a button was missing.
A perfectly good working Coleman hot tub for $250 because the guy didn't know it was worth more like $1000.
A whole truckload of hardwood flooring and tile from a friend's dad for free because he was cleaning out his garage and didn't feel like selling it off.
A whole carload of tile (some hand painted) for free because another friend was cleaning out her garage.
A perfectly good, practically unused American Stratocaster guitar for hubby for $300 (it was worth close to $1000) because the guy just didn't care.

When I lived in Sarasota, this rich lady driving this Caddy sold it dirt cheap because she couldn't get it to go. The person who bought it put in a new battery and had himself a perfectly beautiful expensive car!

Old 03-09-07, 05:47 PM
Originally Posted by msidan View Post
No. (Not that I know of. They were unopened) The box said "Reach Official American League Baseball No. 0" and they still had their paper seal around them.
Do you know that Hank Aaron was in the Negro League and played in Eau Claire? They made a scupture of him here.

I wonder what exactly a baseball with the designation you gave, is?

Old 03-09-07, 05:49 PM
Originally Posted by possumgraper View Post
It was one of 200 official copies commisioned by John Quincy Adams in 1820. Not sure who Adams was, but I think he had a popular radio talk show.

By the way, I have some really old coins for sale if anybody is interested. They are dated 250 B.C.
You must be pulling my leg. They didn't know they were B.C., in B.C.

Old 03-10-07, 04:15 PM
tae
apparently those baseballs were made in the 50's and had a cork center. Collectable just for the age.

Old 03-11-07, 12:42 PM
Hmmmmm. Corked balls to go with corked bats.

Oh...I went to BL yesterday and bought canned chips for 80 cents a can. Giant size J lotion for $3. I called my next door neighbor and said they also had VHS movies for $1.20-$2, and some were well known flicks. Oh. In the package, of course...not used.

Old 03-11-07, 01:42 PM
DIY addict LOL ::cringe!:: It's sitting under the carport until we get to the flooring phase of our remodel... as is all the tile, three sections of bowling alley, and a bunch of other STUFF we got for cheap/free!

Old 03-12-07, 09:46 AM
Aha! ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Just went to the Goodwill again and got a $7.00 dress that probably cost well over $60! Has got to be brand new too! 100% silk! ...and...it will probably just be hung in my closet forever and never worn.

Did you guys know if you spend a lot of time at the Goodwill, you'll find some things that are brand new?

Old 03-13-07, 06:02 PM
If you shop at Goodwill and you aren't "needy"...does that make you feel guilty?

Old 03-13-07, 07:46 PM
Why? Is the Goodwill only for "needy" people? I don't think I feel guilty. Should I? Don't they get there stuff for free?...by donations or something? I'm only helping them out by buying stuff right?

Old 03-14-07, 04:17 AM
Super Moderator
Goodwill is not just about providing inexpensive articles for needy people.
They also gain income from sales to employ people who would otherwise not have a job and they need to pay their rent and heat just like any business.

DIYaddict wrote:
"Did you guys know if you spend a lot of time at the Goodwill, you'll find some things that are brand new?"
Ya, some guys might know that.
Did you gals know that you can buy a nearly new Kodak Carousel slide projector with auto-focus for $5.00 or a 1930's wick type kerosene parlor heater for $15.00 or really nice picture frames with matts for a couple of dollars or a 1950's Silex vacuum coffe maker for $5.00 or a near new Filter Queen vacuum cleaner for $20.00 or ....................................

Does yours have this type of stuff?

Old 03-14-07, 05:13 AM
Angry

I don't have a Goodwill around here, but there is a Salvation Army. Several years ago, it used to have lots of good stuff and low prices. Now there's a bunch of useless junk and they charge $50!!! for an old, nasty 15" CRT computer monitor. Not that I would want an old 15" monitor.

Old 03-14-07, 02:20 PM
Super Moderator
Ya, the Salvation Army in my home city of 650k people went mainstream and opened one larger and twelve small mall type thrift shops that tend to not have much in the way of interesting stuff and what they do sell tends to be higher priced to help cover the rent.
What these stores have done is take anything of value or that looks interesting and place it in a locked cabinet for an auction type sale.

A belief I also have is that because many of the people in charge of receiving and sorting the merchandise are of the wanting middle class (like me and maybe one or two others ) tend to get some good deals themselves.

Old 03-14-07, 02:29 PM
let me throw in a plug for one of my favorite places

habitat for humanity Restores

http://www.habitat.org/cd/env/restore.aspx

I stop every chance I get , usually 3 to four times a week since its centrally located

rare for me not to find something there .

we got our stove , refrigerator, microwave , dryer ,dining room table and chairs , front door , screen door , bedroom window , 3 louvered interior doors, bathtub all at great prices

I got my 10" table saw .OLD Rockwell contractor for 75

12 "craftsman bandsaw for 40

plus a ton of hand tools and small DIY items

its my toy store

Old 03-15-07, 06:03 AM
Most of my good deals come from yard sales. I got a working Echo string trimmer that would have cost around $200 for $10!

Old 03-25-07, 09:28 PM
Bought an old snow blower for $ 20 bucks at a swap meet in Englishtown, NJ.
The guy wanted $40.
I fixed it up for 8 bucks and it does a great job !
$ 28 bucks vs 800 bucks, yep....I did good.

Old 03-26-07, 03:55 AM
Went to Habitat restore Ottawa Ontario Canada ,bought front door (that fit ) for 70.00 same door at home depot 300.00 --

I hang out at canadianstalk.ca ,its a Canadian website ,I use all Craig list used on line forums and ads to buy stuff I try my hardest not to pay tax on thing that have already been taxed --Imagine the greedy government