Didya ever notice....

Old 03-07-07, 08:03 PM
possumgraper
Visiting Guest
Didya ever notice....

Have you ever noticed that the keypad on a calculator is exactly opposite of the keypad on a telephone?

We were always tought the rule of Roman numerals - you cant have more than three symbols in a row. So the Roman numeral for 4 is IV. Look at any wristwatch with Roman numerals and 4 is represented as IIII.

Any more??

Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-07, 06:07 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by possumgraper View Post
Have you ever noticed that the keypad on a calculator is exactly opposite of the keypad on a telephone?

you made me look

Never paid any attention to it *before* I'm not crazy about roman numerals and I detest a watch that has them, actually any watch that doesn't have 12 easy to read numbers. My wife is just the opposite, it doesn't matter if she can read the time as long as it looks pretty on her wrist

Old 03-20-07, 10:54 AM
[QUOTE=marksr;1138710I detest a watch that has them, actually any watch that doesn't have 12 easy to read numbers. [/QUOTE]

anyone who can tell time should be able to read a watch or clock without any numbers or markings on it whatsoever. surely, by now, you know where the 3, 6, 9 and 12 are located, and everything in between.

actually, we really don't even need the minute hand. all we really need is the hour hand. (but on a little watch, that might be too hard to see.) i know i've seen wall clocks that only had an hour hand, and i thought it was so neat that it was still very obvious what time it was.

Old 03-20-07, 11:26 AM
Group Moderator
What's a wristwatch?

Old 03-20-07, 01:12 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by Annette View Post
anyone who can tell time should be able to read a watch or clock without any numbers or markings on it whatsoever. surely, by now, you know where the 3, 6, 9 and 12 are located, and everything in between.
True but I prefer a watch that is easy to read at a glance. I have poor vision and I'd just about prefer not to know what time it is than have to get my good eye to focus on the time piece in order to tell.

Old 03-20-07, 01:14 PM
aye aye, Cap'n!

Old 03-20-07, 02:38 PM
marksr, so how BIG exactly is your watch?!!!! .

Old 03-21-07, 09:54 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I gotta use an analog watch if I want to have a clue what time it is. With an astigmatism and broken eyeglasses, 0's,2's, 6's 8's, and 9's all look like 8's to me and I kinda figured that there is no such time as 88:88. My watch is a Timex Expedition, not to be confused with the vehicle of the same name, since you will never catch me driving an SUV by choice.

Old 03-21-07, 01:33 PM
That SUV would be hard to carry around.

Hey punk, CT got ya down? C'mon up we have "coupe Deval" up here.
So we should be in good shape. ('till the general fund runs out).

Old 03-21-07, 03:26 PM
Originally Posted by marksr View Post
you made me look

Never paid any attention to it *before* I'm not crazy about roman numerals and I detest a watch that has them, actually any watch that doesn't have 12 easy to read numbers. My wife is just the opposite, it doesn't matter if she can read the time as long as it looks pretty on her wrist
I like the watch that has no numbers on it at all.

Then there is the clock whose numbers go counterclockwise along with the hands.

Old 03-21-07, 03:28 PM
Originally Posted by the_tow_guy View Post
What's a wristwatch?
Me too. Don't wear that or any jewelry. Nor do I have a wallet in my back pocket.

Old 03-21-07, 03:31 PM
Originally Posted by marksr View Post
True but I prefer a watch that is easy to read at a glance. I have poor vision and I'd just about prefer not to know what time it is than have to get my good eye to focus on the time piece in order to tell.
When you are painting has any customer asked you why you didn't paint a wall?

I followed behind a master electrician once after he hooked stuff up in a new panel box and he did something,...I can't remember what it was, but I had to correct a mistake that I knew was a result of bad eye sight.

Old 03-21-07, 03:33 PM
Originally Posted by nightowlpunk View Post
I gotta use an analog watch if I want to have a clue what time it is. With an astigmatism and broken eyeglasses, 0's,2's, 6's 8's, and 9's all look like 8's to me and I kinda figured that there is no such time as 88:88. My watch is a Timex Expedition, not to be confused with the vehicle of the same name, since you will never catch me driving an SUV by choice.
The time 11:11 is the same no matter if you are hanging upside down, or you are right side up, on a digital clock. And oddly, I can go hours wihout looking at a clock and then when I do, it has happened to me so often that I hit it when it is 11:11.

Old 03-21-07, 06:01 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by DaVeBoy View Post
When you are painting has any customer asked you why you didn't paint a wall?

I've worn glasses since 5th grade but my near sightedness never was a problem painting. One builder I used to paint for had a unit [very popular one] that had a pocket door for a 1/2 bath with no window. Since there is rarely any electricity/lights while painting a new home, I always had to pull the door shut and paint the inside in the dark. Having painted around a 100 of those doors for that builder, only once was I called back [after lights were on] to fix a spot I missed.

Just before I retired, I got an infection in my right eye along with glucoma. It took a long time to get used to painting with just one eye. I used to have to guess where the wall was until I adjusted to using one eye Thank God my left eye has stayed disease free.