Things kids DO to scare you

Old 03-08-07, 01:42 PM
Things kids DO to scare you

So my son and I were driving home listening to some music and I hear this clicking sound for the longest time. Being that I freak out anytime and everytime anything/something happens to my car...I freaked, rolled up the window and turned the music off. The clicking was coming from the under my steering wheel or somewhere around there. The A/C was on so I turned it off thinking it had something to do with it It DID stop.

I asked my son, "Do you hear that???!!!" Continued with, "I think something's wrong with the A/C. Don't use it!" He says, "It's not the A/C mom." And mind you, he said that like I was stupid and like he new everything. I insisted it was the A/C and to prove it, I turned the A/C back on and the clicking started again.

So I was there thinking "Great...now I have to post this in the Automotive Repairs topic on DoItYourself.com and it's probably going to be costly and a lot of work or something and I won't have my car for a few days and will have to get a rental..!"

Next thing I know, my son starts busting up laughing at me! And pointed to his finger that was clicking the lock/unlock button on the door.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-07, 02:05 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
You never can tell with kids. My 6 yr old grandson scares me the most when he's headed my direction AIRBORNE

And kids are smart....they still attend school everyday! At the end of last school year our grandson graduated kindergarden. When he found out I never had a kindergarden graduation, only high school, he looked at me like I was dumber than dirt.

Old 03-08-07, 04:09 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
*I* get scared when they go in my bedroom, lock the door and light incense with matches. Just kidding.

But this comes close: Kids seem to have no regard for lamp cords or any cord you might have strung, leading somewhere. I don't want them messing with or walking on my cords. Frightfully afraid of a fire that could send my whole life up in smoke, as I have a tremendous amount of pictures taken in the two other states I have lived and worked and a hard to replace record collection and all kinds of antiquey things, newspaper clippings out of the past, reams of letters to government and company people and pages of doodlings like Leonardo DaVinci had, which includes a very detailed non-workable perpetual motion machine ...stuff like that. I even have all my checks stubs from when I had my first job at $1.60/hr. All because some kid doesn't grasp the concept of electricity and fire.

Old 03-08-07, 07:23 PM
DIY......what scares me is what the heck are you doing with AC turned on at this time of the year? Today I ran my car for 15 minutes just to get the frost off the windows before I went for coffee this AM (my garage was full and I'm too lazy to scrape)

I'm sitting here trying to "unthaw" my feet and you're driving around with AC?

Life aint fair.

Last edited by mjd2k; 03-08-07 at 10:34 PM.
Old 03-09-07, 06:19 AM
Super Moderator
DIY, I was thinking the same thing, how lucky you are to live somewhere where you need air. We're having record cold this week (brrrrr...)
Wanna change places?

Old 03-09-07, 07:02 AM
Ran the car for 15 minutes this morning and was still blowing cold air when I got in. You want to freak out over noises, clunks and bangs, drive around in your car after it's been < 0*F for more than a week and the whole under carriage is frozen, struts are squeaking, pavement has all buckled and heaved...when will it all end?

Old 03-09-07, 07:12 AM
Originally Posted by ehjay View Post
Ran the car for 15 minutes this morning and was still blowing cold air when I got in. You want to freak out over noises, clunks and bangs, drive around in your car after it's been < 0*F for more than a week and the whole under carriage is frozen, struts are squeaking, pavement has all buckled and heaved...when will it all end?
Newfies don't know cold like us Flatlanders

Old 03-09-07, 07:42 AM
Originally Posted by mjd2k View Post
Newfies don't know cold like us Flatlanders
lawd tunderin by! I aint on the rock. But you have a point. At least our cold weather starts at a more conventional date then say like July!

Old 03-09-07, 10:12 AM
Thawing out in Colorado ... FINALLY! Sure we got all our snow in December/January but I sure am hoping we can squeak by March (usually the snowiest month) with highs in the 50's and 60's...

As far as things kids do to scare you, we have a troublemaker cat that once bit a christmas light bulb, ate a yo-yo string (very very dangerous!), and has sneaked out of the house more than once. When ever we hear something falling or breaking, we run to see what the cat's done this time.

Old 03-09-07, 10:26 AM
Group Moderator
Very pleasant here today, 78 deg and mostly sunny. How about you, DIY?

Thing that scares me the most? Hmmm, daughter starting college in the fall, most likely at a school 200 miles away? Her three year old brother who likes to terrorize our 80# golden retriever?

Old 03-09-07, 10:41 AM
74 today and supposed to be in the 90's by next week ???!!!! Ahhhhh...oh the warmth. Come on down to Cali people...get warm, then go back. Not sure if I'm happy about the weather...means grass gets greener... means more mowing -Bleh.

TG, I bet your daughter is thrilled eh? Congrats on getting her that far...and watch out for the little one!

Old 03-09-07, 10:59 AM
Group Moderator
Daughter is about two weeks from getting notification from the school that is currently at the top of her wish list.

Old 03-09-07, 12:24 PM
Started out around 10F here warming up for the weekend goin to hit 39F, but they say we're going to get another cold snap next week

My 2 year old loves to have our 130# Swiss Mountain Dog chase him to. Also thinks that climbing onto the arm of the couch and jumping up kicking his legs out to land on his butt is just great, closer to the edge the better!!!! Have no idea where he learned that?

Old 03-09-07, 12:27 PM
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by DIYaddict View Post
...means grass gets greener... means more mowing -Bleh.
I think I'd rather be mowing than shoveling. Yuk! We had more snow 2 days ago, but it's supposed to go in the 60's next week. Yay!!!

Old 03-09-07, 05:41 PM
Originally Posted by ehjay View Post
Try 50 below once. At that temp you think even solid metal will just snap. You have to drive several miles before the now square tires become round again.

Old 03-10-07, 06:26 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I've seen -60` once. The furnace ran flat out ALL night, barely above freezing INSIDE My 63 1/2 ford galaxie was one of the few that started that morning - only the radiator was froze - antifreeze to 40 below. No block damage but the radiator devoloped a 1/2 dozen minor leaks.

Old 03-10-07, 10:42 AM
Marksr,

Did the Galaxy ever get warm inside, and did you try to let it idle for an hour first? And if you drive over snow at that temp it really squeeks...the snow that is.

What was the high temp for the day? We had this week straight that was like -45 and worse and I remember that the high one day only got to like -25...for the HIGH.

Regarding your home heating that barely could muster above freezing; case in point for furnace guys maybe not to so closely size a furnace. Some of these high efficiency ones today barely put out 110 degrees, while my older Miller gas furnace can get up to almost 180 after it has been running straight for a long time. Ahhhh.

Old 03-10-07, 01:48 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
This was a long time ago. After I realized the anti freeze was froze I shut it off and let it thaw. I don't remember the high, just the 60 below stated on the radio, didn't have a TV.

The apartment I was renting was an old house built over 100 yrs ago, divided up into apartments. The house problably wasn't insulated The landlord had a lock box on the thermostat and the other renters thought that was the problem - but the furnace ran non stop!!

Any way that was a longgggggg time ago, an event I had almost forgotten

Old 03-11-07, 12:45 PM
You must be over 50, like me then, eh?

Old 03-11-07, 06:29 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I'd plead the fifth but I quit drinking 16 yrs ago

short answer - yes - shhhh...........

Old 03-12-07, 07:02 AM
Been in the -40's but don't think any colder than that, add the wind chill and that's cold enough. You want to go driving around in that weather go right ahead!!!
I spent 15 years working in refrigerated warehousing, ice cream distribution, try driving around on an open forklift in -20 with the evaporators blowing at you in a warehouse for 8 -10 hours a day. That was cold, I find now though I get to hot outside shovelling or what not.