What possible motive for advertiser to sell so cheap?

Old 03-10-07, 10:32 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
What possible motive for advertiser to sell so cheap?

In my (publication I will list only at permission of moderator because I don't want to be banned for advertising) edition...a few weeks ago some advertiser was giving away free money if you just paid S& h. The s & h was still far short of what the money was worth!

In todays edition this outfit is selling uncut, uncirculated, uncut sheets of 4 legal tender U.S. paper currency. $4 for only $1.19! What?! You have 72 hours to get in on it and it started at 7:30 am today and after that they are disconnecting their phone.

In both cases..and I expect to see more of this in the future...you must order by credit card. So it seems to me the catch is in the fact they get your credit card number? If so, what could this mean?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-07, 11:22 AM
Super Moderator
Thumbs up Hey, sounds good to me!

If you miss out on that one though I have a stack of offers by my fax machine that if you give them your bank account number they will withdraw a 2k administration fee and then deposit 250k.

I did it and got the 250k but am only eligible to do it once.

Old 03-10-07, 11:27 AM
nap
well, the most obvious is that it is not actual currency, which is what I suspect.

Not positive but I do not believe the gov will allow uncut sheets of paper currency out of the printers building. Can't seem to find that info at the moment.

I would look at all the print in the ad, especially the micro-printing telling you that it is not actual US currency.

a bit a trivia: did you know there is no legal requirement for a private entity to accept US currency as a method of payment? Well, it's true.

If you want to pay a $100 bill with 10000 pennies, the recipient can refuse if they wish. It does not erase the liability for the debt either.

Old 03-10-07, 11:46 AM
The ad says it is legal tender. That you can cut it and spend it if you like. But they recommend against it as they claim it has FAR greater value as an investment.

Can I list the name of the marketing company here?...and the publication it is in?

Last edited by the_tow_guy; 03-12-07 at 05:22 AM. Reason: Not necessary to quote entire posts.
Old 03-10-07, 11:49 AM
Originally Posted by GregH View Post
If you miss out on that one though I have a stack of offers by my fax machine that if you give them your bank account number they will withdraw a 2k administration fee and then deposit 250k.

I did it and got the 250k but am only eligible to do it once.
I am not sure how to take what you just said. Are you joking? Your frowny face says to me that you actually did this? and wish you could do more of this? Surely nobody deposited 250K in your bank account....and let it stay in there.

Old 03-10-07, 12:11 PM
Super Moderator
Sorry Dave.........poor attemp at humor.

I have for a lot of years been inundated with this type of advertising and can say that it is just one of many scams.

It got so bad that my business fax machine would run out of ink ribbon in less that a month even though I get very few faxes.
In fact I had to get an unlisted fax number to avoid the hassle of receiving them.
I tried levelling a formal complaint and the RCMP took a statement and copies of the faxes. Unfortunately they could do nothing as some were offshore and others that originated in eastern Canada had closed shop and started somewhere else.
The Nigerian money transfer scheme was the most prevelant one.

If you Google the details of the offer you are talking about there are many scam alert sites that might have this one in its sights.

Old 03-10-07, 12:21 PM
nap
Ah, Dave; I;m pretty sure greg was kidding. There are dozens of scams out there that promise money if you will only:

pay a processing fee

cash this money order and keep $xxx and send us the rest (from somebody you have no idea as to who it is)

process your inheritance from some unkown relative/friend you have never heard of if you will pay his legal fees

send you your lottery winnings from Canada/England or some other land you have never visited so therefore could never have purchase an entry into said lottery, if you will only send us $xxx to prosess it or pay duties on an intercountry money transfer

give the nice Nigerian barrister you bank account info so he can wire transfer all the money the now deposed king (or whatever royalty level they want to lie about) into your account where you will be allowed to keep it. Why you have been chosen is often somewhat non-specific.

and many many more.

Hey Dave, If you send me $3000 and your bank account info and your credit card info and your ATM PIN, I will guarantee you will never have to work again. Send the info to [email protected]

I have a lifetime guarantee*

*lifetime guarantee is reffering to the life of a Drosophila melanogaster that we personally bred and was hatched yesterday.

Old 03-10-07, 03:31 PM
possumgraper
Visiting Guest
My father had many sayings which I never really appreciated until my adult years. One of my favorite is "You can't cheat an honest man". Holds a lot of truth.

Old 03-10-07, 03:35 PM
Not positive but I do not believe the gov will allow uncut sheets of paper currency out of the printers building. Can't seem to find that info at the moment.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

you can by uncut sheets direct from the bureau of engraving

http://www.moneyfactory.gov/store/section.cfm/69/83

I think you can state the publication here just not a link ...

obviously some sort of scam

Old 03-10-07, 04:39 PM
nap
well color me embarassed. Didn;t think it was allowed but apparently I was wrong.

if you look at the prices, it is obvious your supplier it up to something.

Old 03-10-07, 06:43 PM
I thought I had seen them before but I wasn't sure

goggle is your friend

Old 03-10-07, 06:47 PM
nap
after I put on my "goggles" should I then use google?

should I call them google goggles?

just having fun. I actually had performed a perfunctory search but apparently missed something.

Old 03-11-07, 12:25 PM
But this is a weekly newspaper publication this is in. Not some flyer sent me by mail or fax.

Last edited by the_tow_guy; 03-12-07 at 05:20 AM. Reason: Not necessary to quote entire posts.
Old 03-11-07, 12:31 PM

But what do yuo make of the 'company' that tells hyo the procesign fee is much less than what the worth is of what they are sending. And in the case fo the recent money ofers, the actual currency value is worth more than the fes! How do you figure THAT one! The one from weeks back featured like 10? Susan B. Anthony dollars for only $5.50? s & h. I can't do any of these because I own no credit cards. I was denied by Menard's even, years ago, basically telling me in so many words, that my credit was too good, for me to be given credit. I told thenm I previously paid cash for everything and have paid off all bank loans(many) on time, and paid all my utility bills on time...and they wanted nothing to do with me!

Last edited by the_tow_guy; 03-12-07 at 05:21 AM. Reason: Not necessary to quote entire posts.
Old 03-11-07, 12:34 PM
Originally Posted by possumgraper View Post
My father had many sayings which I never really appreciated until my adult years. One of my favorite is "You can't cheat an honest man". Holds a lot of truth.
I thought those were the ones you could cheat the easiest...because they are so trusting. Sure you got that saying right?

Old 03-11-07, 12:36 PM
Originally Posted by nap View Post
well color me embarassed. Didn;t think it was allowed but apparently I was wrong.

if you look at the prices, it is obvious your supplier it up to something.
Exactly. But I want to know WHAT. This is klike watching David Blaine magic. You know it's magic. You still want to know if it is legitimate magic or if we are being duped.

Old 03-11-07, 12:38 PM
If someone says I can post the info, I cojuld give out the 800 number...oops, might be too late, remember?

Old 03-11-07, 08:23 PM
possumgraper
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by DaVeBoy View Post
I thought those were the ones you could cheat the easiest...because they are so trusting. Sure you got that saying right?
The meaning of that saying is that an HONEST MAN is not going to be duped because he is not looking for something for nothing. If it seems too good to be true, you are going to get screwed (or something like that). An honest man can not be taken by the con man because he still believes in an honest days pay for an honest days work, and there are NO GET RICH QUICK SCHEMES OR WE WOULD ALL BE MILLIONAIRES EATING CAVIAR ON OUR YACHTS !!! You can not cheat an honest man. (Don't confuse honest with gullible).

Old 03-12-07, 05:18 AM
Group Moderator
One thing that's being overlooked is that by responding to the offer you would put yourself on EVERYONE's list of "People Who Respond to Offers and Probably Will Again in the Future". The list is then sold and resold to every mass marketer on the face of the planet and sooner or later you'll buy something (or lots of somethings) that they'll make a profit on. Plus your junk mail and spam count will likely go WAAAAAY up.

And side note to nobody in particular, but it's really not necessary [and it's more than a little annoying, to say nothing of making it difficult to read posts and uses up space] to always quote entire previous posts when replying to a thread.

Old 03-12-07, 05:47 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
2 reasons for offering products at less than cost

#1 - gets you as a customer or on a list as TG stated

#2 - gets your small check [along with a thousand others] and close up shop, no items shipped

While the quote feature is usefull I agree that it is OVERUSED!!! especially when quoting the entire post.

Old 03-12-07, 05:59 AM
Originally Posted by nap View Post
a bit a trivia: did you know there is no legal requirement for a private entity to accept US currency as a method of payment? Well, it's true.

If you want to pay a $100 bill with 10000 pennies, the recipient can refuse if they wish. It does not erase the liability for the debt either.
They cannot refuse payment in change if the amount is less than $10.

We use to work a car wash, we got a LOT of quarters. There were only a few times that the clerks didn't want to accept our quarters until we enlightened them "legal for all debts public and private".

If they accept cash, they must accept all forms of US currency both paper and coin.

Old 03-12-07, 06:31 AM
Offer - Legal Tender
Aceptance - this is key.
http://www.treas.gov/education/faq/currency/legal-tender.sh-tml#q1

Old 03-12-07, 07:35 AM
Working link...
http://www.treas.gov/education/faq/currency/legal-tender.shtml

As noted, they don't have to accept cash, but if they accept it, they must accept all forms unless there is some restriction from doing so. For example, you can't go into an arcade and expect to put two dimes and a nickel in a machine that only takes quarters.

For the example on the website, as I understand it (having never road public transportation), most of these system use tokens or some other fixed currency system just like arcade machines. If the machine only takes coins, then you can only pay in coins. If the machine doesn't accept pennies, then you are out of luck.

My example was based on Florida, which does have requirements on the books for accepting change as payment.

Old 03-12-07, 08:02 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Read the fine print DaVeBoy. Yes, they will sell you $ 4.00 for a $1.09, but only after you purchase their "bank book" for $ 38.00 plus shipping. You can only get one sheet of the dollars, and they do not tell you what the cost is of other sheets of different denominations.

Old 03-12-07, 09:37 AM
Group Moderator
I knew sooner or later someone would dive into the fine print and give us the answer.

Old 03-12-07, 03:31 PM
nap
Originally Posted by Pendragon View Post
They cannot refuse payment in change if the amount is less than $10.

We use to work a car wash, we got a LOT of quarters. There were only a few times that the clerks didn't want to accept our quarters until we enlightened them "legal for all debts public and private".

If they accept cash, they must accept all forms of US currency both paper and coin.
Did you miss this part of the link you posted? Notice it states that they, without any doubt, do NOT have to accept ALL forms of currency.:

There is, however, no Federal statute mandating that a private business, a person or an organization must accept currency or coins as for payment for goods and/or services. Private businesses are free to develop their own policies on whether or not to accept cash unless there is a State law which says otherwise. For example, a bus line may prohibit payment of fares in pennies or dollar bills. In addition, movie theaters, convenience stores and gas stations may refuse to accept large denomination currency (usually notes above $20) as a matter of policy.

and to your less than $10 law, unless you can post it, I have my doubts. The part I did not copy here did state that currency is legal to OFFER for all debts, iy does not state it must be accepted and as you see above, it does not require one to accept what they do not want to accept.

========

you might also go to this website and read their take on this. It explains things quite well. Although it is not an official government statement, Snopes actually makes a great effort to be correct in their statements.
http://www.snopes.com/business/money/pennies.asp

Last edited by nap; 03-12-07 at 03:47 PM.
Old 03-12-07, 04:18 PM
Wink

DaVeBoy
Out of the post here .
I can't do any of these because I own no credit cards. I was denied by Menard's even, years ago, basically telling me in so many words, that my credit was too good, for me to be given credit. I told thenm I previously paid cash for everything.
I hope you have a card and a good score by now DaVeBoy. All of the insurance company's are now going to set the cost of you car and home owners insurance by your credit score. The higher it is the lower the cost of the insurance will be.

Old 03-13-07, 06:00 PM
Well, we'll have to wait and see what happens I guess. But at least I have been a good payer to my current insurer and have qualified for their discount(s).

I probably should really try to get a card because if you don't have one, I guess you can't even rent a car. I think they require that so they can confiscate money from your credit line if you wreck their car?...or decide to drive it to Mexico and keep it?