Newest phone solicitor scam

Old 03-13-07, 08:21 AM
Group Moderator
Newest phone solicitor scam

Don't know if this one has been around a while, but first I've heard it.

Incoming call from "Restricted" (have to answer, some legitimate business calls have that unfortunately). Got a recorded male voice informing me I've been overpaying my MasterCard bill by $100 month and if I want to fix this I have to call them back right away. Then they give the 800 number.

Knew it was a scam (like a credit card company is really going to tell you you're sending too much money? ROFLMAO), but called the 800 number anyway. A female voice answered, "Hello?" (with sounds of a boilerroom in the background; VERY professional). I said yes, you called? After which she immediately asked if I was the business owner, etc etc; you know the drill. I proceeded to laugh out loud and told her I was certainly happy they provided me a phone number that I could then call to waste THEIR time, which I was now doing. She was not amused and hung up. So I called her back, same results. Did this about three more times and then their computer stopped accepting my incoming calls (darn, and I was having FUN). Just tried them again after a few minutes and got an answer on the other end again. They are going to be getting a LOT of calls from me; this is WAY too much fun.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-07, 08:37 AM
Careful, some scams run you through some sort of loop and you actually end up dialing a 976 type number that you get billed for!!!!

Old 03-13-07, 09:07 AM
Group Moderator
Good point; I'll wait to the next phone bill to come in to see if it's actually an 800 number, but it was worth a few bucks to yank their chain anyway.

Old 03-13-07, 09:34 AM
pay phone

I would go to a payphone and try the 800 number, that way, even if it is a 900/976 number loop, you will not get socked for it. Of course, they may not accept payphone calls, but worth a try next time you see one.

Old 03-13-07, 09:58 AM
Group Moderator
What's a payphone, LOL.

Good idea.

Old 03-13-07, 12:14 PM
Have you tried finding a payphone lately?

Old 03-13-07, 01:31 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Last time I found a pay phone it required $1 to get a dial tone and then I got a recording saying that phone was no longer in service of course it wouldn't give me back my 4 quarters.

I don't get many telemarketers but the ones I get most are "trying to save me money" on my mortgage or credit cards. I have no mortgage and I pay off my CC in full each month - how are they to save me money? I've not wasted my time to ask

Old 03-13-07, 05:55 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I was in a phone booth in Sarasota in the early 70's. Called home to ma in Wisconsin. After I hung up the phone, it went "Ching ching" and when I opened the money return, it was chock full of quarters. I scooped them out. Then when I raised the holder it allowed more money to fall into it. I got about $8.50 I think, and my call cost me about 3/4 of that. I obviously also got other people's money.